Hi from London, England | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hi from London, England

bobbyuk

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Bob, and I'm an Eagles fan; however, I am foremost a sports fan altogether. I don't come on here to bust anyone's chops or to cut people down. I love football, follwed by baseball, hockey, basketball, and now, cricket and soccer.

I am American, born in Philly, but I spent my formative teenage years living in Tennessee. I joined the Air Force at 17, and I travelled around the world: Crete fm 1976-77; Italy in 1977; Japan fm 1980-83; and England was my last stop from 1990-92. In between those times, I spent my tours in such luxurious places as Hampton, Virginia; Montgomery, Alabama; Omaha, Nebraska; Philly; Denver; Pensacola; and of course Texas. I was in the Air Force from 1975-1992 and my jobs included Printer Systems Operator (Morse code related); Space Systems Analyst; Recruiter; Operational Intelligence; Air Intelligence; and Operations Management.

I currently live in Mitcham, a suburb of London, and have lived here since 1994. I'm married and have three teenage daughters--17, 15, and 13.

Over here, we watch as much football as you guys do. On cable or Sky Television, we have Sky Sports and on Sundays, we get a DH like you guys do; they also broadcast a highlights show three days a week; they also broadcast the Thanksgiving Day games; the Saturday games, and the playoffs and Super Bowl and Pro Bowl and all of it is live. Our terrestrial channel, Channel 5, broadcasts the Monday Night game live and after their contractual obligation to baseball ends, we get the Sunday night game live as well.

We have a stand alone channel that costs about $17 a month called the North American Sports Network. During the football season we get Sunday Countdown (live); Monday Night Countdown (live); NFL Live (live); Primetime (taped) and during the preseason they show the preseason games live. We also get live baseall, basketball and hockey to include the playoffs. We also get NASCAR, the CFL, the AFL and they broadcast the NFL, NBA, and hockey drafts all live.

There's also a company called Pontel that has a web site and is out of Geneva, Switzerland. They record ALL of the NFL and college games on video and DVD and then you can buy them either by favorite team; the game of the week; you can buy all 16 weeks plus the playoffs for about $250 for the whole year. Last year, for example, I ordered the whole Eagles' season on DVD.

I also have Field Pass where I listen to not only the Eagles games, but other games as well.

I'm a security officer for an international law firm and work shift work; however, during the season, I arrange some of my vacation days so I have off during Sundays and the playoffs and Super Bowl.

We go to Wandsworth a lot--mainly to the shopping center.

Welcome! Just curious as to what made you decide to get out of the USAF so close to retirement.

Glad to hear the football has gotten better over there. When I was in the UK they pretty much only showed highlights on channel 4 I think it was. I did manage to get to an American Bowl at Wembly once. I remember one of the cheerleaders split the back of her bottoms open and had to quickly run off the field.

TokyoFishFan

Back
Top Bottom