Hickey gets it!!! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hickey gets it!!!

fisi

Active Roster
Reaction score
Miami has recently signed receivers Damian Williams, Kevin Cone and Mike Rios. They also reportedly offered a contract to Nate Burleson.

There are also reports that the Dolphins are planning on selecting a WR early in the draft like Marqise Lee, Brandin Cooks, Kelvin Benjamin, Donte Moncrief, Odell Beckham Jr. or Martavis Bryant, most of whom the Dolphins have already met with or plan on meeting with before the draft.

Why all of the sudden interest in a position ?

It could be several reasons:

Is it because Hartline, Gibson and Binns are all recovering from serious knee injuries?

Could it be that the Dolphins are looking for a replacement for Mr Wallace, who’s grossly overpaid despite his game-changing speed, isn’t worth the outrageous salary cap number $17.25 million.

Perhaps it is Gibson who the Dolphins are eager to replace. He’s due $2.7 million in 2014 after a serious knee injury after all. Not to mention that Matthews, a much cheaper option, looked just as capable, if not more so, in the slot after Gibson went down for the year.

For me, the explanation is very simple- you see at first glance, the Dolphins’ wide receiver corps appears to be one of the club’s strongest units. If healthy, they could be very dangerous but on second look that is not the case. The new Miami Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey has had that second look and HE GETS IT.

He gets it that:

-The Dolphins receiving corps unit are good but not great

- They just don’t complement each other very well.

- No alpha-dog WR or “F” or Feature WR. All you need to do is listen to Jets’ players last game of the year. They said Hartline is their number one and once he was injured nobody on that roster scared them, hence the loss.

-No Yard-After-Catch or RAC among playmakers in 2013. Dolphins were ranked 23rd in the league in RAC as a team. In 2013, Hartline was 58th in the NFL in RAC yards and Wallace was 70th. Charles Clay was 41st with 382 RAC yards. This was huge especially if you’re going to be running a WCO which is mostly predicated on YAC.

- They lack size at the position. At 6-foot-2, Hartline is Miami’s tallest target among those who contributed in 2013, but he plays smaller than his size when compared to highly athletic pass catchers. It’s clearly easy to see how Miami struggled in the red zone in 2013 because they lacked a big body receiver.

-In conclusion, the new GM gets it that in this league you can never have enough weapons, it is a “passing league” and you just can’t have enough play-makers at the WR position. It is clear what Hickey is doing and that is getting players to fit the scheme the Coach wants to run. Just like he did with the offensive line, he is doing with the WRs.

Whatever the case, it’s clear the Dolphins are entertaining the possibility of selecting a wide receiver with one of their top three picks.

I agree with the nature of your thread - which is about an OK or good WR core in a pass happy league....and a GM who is not sitting on his laurels and letting the passing game get passed up...

We are also one player away from being a really great group...Some on this forum lean towards the big target and others like myself love SPEED...

And maybe Hickey will turn enough leaves to get us both...But I want Miami's passing attack to be a frightening force that keeps DC up all night!!!

Not sure I agree with the thread as Ireland tried to sign a bunch of WR's too. They were just ask the wrong guys. Hopefully Hickey picks the right guys

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

I think the key is value, which appears to be Hickeys mantra.

Are our WRs good? Yes.

Are they worth what they're making and the cap hit they are causing? Hell no.

-Hence the shift toward drafting a cheap WR.

Agree a WR will be drafted but can be anywhere from Round 1 to round 5. We also need a real TE.

Our WR core is serviceable, but teams aren't scared of of our receivers. That's what I want to see. I think in the long run we need to plan around not having mike Wallace. You can find straight line speed for a lot cheaper. We need a big possession receiver that can be a safety net for T-Hill.

Gets what we have no offensive line, linebackers that get run over and a secondary that's has questions all over place after not resigning over half the secondary. Soo if picking a WR makes sense to you then lots of good luck in the draft as we will need it.

Gets what we have no offensive line, linebackers that get run over and a secondary that's has questions all over place after not resigning over half the secondary. Soo if picking a WR makes sense to you then lots of good luck in the draft as we will need it.

Yup

We'll see. I don't think it takes a ton of insight to see our WRs are not worth their contracts. I mean, sure it's already a leg up on Ireland but I don't feel like grading Hickey on a curve.

Hopefully he focuses on value and balance and not just select positions.

I really wish people would quit bitching about contracts..The cap is gonna greatly increase in years to come.

I'm reserving judgement on both Hickey and Wallace. Let's give RT some time and then see how good Wallace is then. I have always said our WR corps in very average, and we need a big WR/TE to go over the middle and in the red zone. If Hickey gets it he will draft both. Oh yeah, and while he's at it we need a RB that can get 1 yard and break tackles.

They said Hartline is their number one and once he was injured nobody on that roster scared them, hence the loss.

FISI: the jets were not dissing wallace, they new they were dissing tanny.

they saw all season that he could not hit wallace down field with ANY consistency. the balls were almost always GROSSLY short and all they had to do was double cover him all over the field and if the ball was thrown to him, all the db's had to do was wait for the ball to fall out of the sky and pic it off or swat it down.

but, i am a big hickey fan. now we shall see how he does when he makes the decision on who to draft and not just suggest.

and they did just that.

If Hickey gets it he will draft both.

what if both of those players are gone when he pics?

what if some others he wanted are gone and the position everyone cried for dikdnt get filled how they wanted [if at all].

see, this is what people do not understand. a draft will end and everyone is cranky because they thought this guy or that wasnt drafted and ANY idiot would see miami needed that player or players.

THE GM MUST GO!!!!

maybe they did and then those players were gone. and then some others [that we didnt know were on thier board] were gone when they drafted again later.

just because we didnt get a player doesnt always mean the GM didnt want them or dropped the ball.

Back
Top Bottom