Hierarchy of Needs? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hierarchy of Needs?

Couple of things we have to keep in mind.

Mike T and Chris Greer are not going anywhere....Gase runs his staff and I doubt you will see many changes to it with the exception of adding an offensive line coach. Just the reality of losing QB17 before the season starts. The organization did what they could to salvage the season with the addition of Cutler and it didn't work. In the end...Tannehill getting hurt and all the other crap the team has had to deal with this season makes this season basically a nothing in the eyes of the decision makers.

Priorities will be player subtraction and addition.

1. Get smarter players on both sides of the ball. One of the biggest issues I see is the inability of many of the players to even execute plays, make reads, or even have a general understanding of the situation. This means we will be moving on from a few guys.

2. Cut: Pouncey, Bushrod, J. Thomas, Wake....we will have to wait a year on Alonzo and Branch because of their contracts, but they are failing...the only way I would keep Kiko is if he never has to cover a player again. I think it may be time to move on from Wake...I love the player, but he has finally lost a step and is getting almost no pass rush expect once every few games.

3. Add a two interior lineman...a smart center and a guard. I think you can make something work with the other lineman at the other guard position, but Bushrod and Pouncey need to be replaced.

4. Add a QB with some upside...3rd round seems like a nice spot and there should be someone to work with available.

I think that is where you start...again, moves have to realistic and you need to allow Gase to bring in the type of players he wants. Landry is still a question, I still see a player struggle with option routes, but I still want him on my team. I hope he starts to study the playbook and become a film junkie by the end of the season because his physical talent is legit, but his mental game needs work.
Thank you for a post with actual substance, I agree with most. Round 1 I want to go either offensive line or linebacker, preferably linebacker as I feel the defense is only as good as it's linebackers. Round 2 I want to go Tight end or Running back and in round 3 draft a center to replace Pouncey.

I still think the offense will be fixed with Ryan back but we badly need depth in our linebackers. Other than that, please draft a free safety as well

Had the same issues with Philbin.
True...it is amazing how long we have been exposed to lackluster inspirational play.
I want the anti these guys and a housecleaning as much as cap will allow us. Hungry players only...lol

What are you most hopeful Miami changes this offseason? Here is my list:

1. Mike Tannebaum and Chris Grier fired.

2. Draft QB in the first round.

3. Defensive scheme change/expierienced DC.

4. A real OC gets hired.

5. New Lg, C, RG,RT. Tunsil is the only one who deserves another season.

This list is perfect. I'm praying the Dolphins follow this plan. Hopefully Jets let Bowles go and bring him back to run the D

No qb in round 1, way too many other needs.
If you hit on the QB he'll have a far bigger impact on the field then any other position you draft. And the second we draft the guy we can trade Tannehill for a high pick and use it to address all these others needs you mentioned.

True...it is amazing how long we have been exposed to lackluster inspirational play.
I want the anti these guys and a housecleaning as much as cap will allow us. Hungry players only...lol
Jones, Wake, Suh, Landry, Parker, Stills, Tannehill, Pouncey, these are the carry overs that should be the leaders on the sidelines. Other than celebrating a positive play they made, rarely do you see them on the sidelines getting the team fired up, short of Landry and Stills. Granted I only see what is broadcast on tv but you see it with other teams.

4. A real OC gets hired.

I don't think ANY of those will happen. Some should, but they won't.

If you hit on the QB he'll have a far bigger impact on the field then any other position you draft. And the second we draft the guy we can trade Tannehill for a high pick and use it to address all these others needs you mentioned.
If we had scouts and almost any GM other than Tannenbaum I might be inclined to go that way. We are not structured to do something like that unfortunately.

Jones, Wake, Suh, Landry, Parker, Stills, Tannehill, Pouncey, these are the carry overs that should be the leaders on the sidelines. Other than celebrating a positive play they made, rarely do you see them on the sidelines getting the team fired up, short of Landry and Stills. Granted I only see what is broadcast on tv but you see it with other teams.

That is why I keep going back to Schwartz. I know he is a so-so retread but I see the fired up Eagles D and he interacts with them and how they act on the sidelines.
I want to take a chance with that kind a guy

4. A real OC gets hired.

Judging by your 1st 3, You re talking theoretical and not realistic. My top priority? Interior OL

It all starts in the trenches. The offensive line has been the main culprit in holding this team back. Here's my short list of what I believe are realistic goals (Tannebaum isn't going anywhere/Gase gets at least another year):

1. Put the emphasis on improving the interior of the offensive line. Honestly, if this is the only major improvement made during the offseason I'm okay with that. As long as it's a major improvement. Realistically, I'd like one free agent upgrade and at least one high end draft pick.

2. Find a dominant defensive lineman to complement Suh. It's frustrating watching Suh double-teamed on every play and no one else stepping up. Miami's d-line isn't bad, but I think fans have really overrated this unit. We need another difference maker here (R1 or R2).

I recognize there are other needs. Speed/athleticism at linebacker is missing. A true number one running back would be nice, and a seam threat at tight end would be huge. But, improve in those two areas and Miami actually has a chance to compete.

If you even did half of #1 by Firing Tannenbaum, the other items wouldn't even be needed. Read the article someone recently posted about how bad our cap situation is and how horrid the contracts we've given out lately have been.

Grier can't get a free pass. He was the head of our scouting before GM from 2007-2015. Not a lot of gems in there Chris.

For the record I don't think any of the 5 things I said I want to happen will happen. That wasn't the title of the thread. Why I am so depressed about the Dolphins today has nothing to do with the Tampa game. I think the refs did us a favor. I am depressed because we are stock in limbo. We have to wait another year to find out what we already know, and then start a re-build in 2019. I am not starting a Ryan debate, but we know who he is. Gase has shown who he is. Tannebaum and Grier have wasted picks and money, so we know who they are. My biggest fear is we go 8-8 or another first round wild card debacle, and these idiots get another try.

4. A real OC gets hired.

Tannenbaum is the biggest issue. I'm not sure about Grier as I don't know what his input actually is. He may turn out to be good if Tannenbaum disappeared and Grier was released to find players Gase wanted.

QB could go either way and I would be happy. Do as you say is fine and then trade Tannehill for a couple of picks or ... keep Tannehill and let the new QB sit for one or two years or ... keep Tannehill and use our first round pick another way.

IMO Miami should devote every 2018 pick to OL and the defensive front 7 ... unless a franchise QB falls to them

Tannenbaum is the biggest issue. I'm not sure about Grier as I don't know what his input actually is. He may turn out to be good if Tannenbaum disappeared and Grier was released to find players Gase wanted.
I agree but I also believe Gase has his hands on the acquiring players process, via free agency and draft. He doesn't get a free pass on the roster.

4. A real OC gets hired.

We need an elite coaching staff ,and elite front office ppl. I've seen enough of gase to know he's not rdy to be a head coach.

Back
Top Bottom