High draft pick or a victory?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by lynx, Dec 4, 2017.

1. lynx

lynx Well-Known Member

Big debate. I want to win a Superbowl for sure and know we need a high draft pick but man do I feel good after a Dolphins win, even in a season where getting to the playoffs looks very difficult.

In times like this, what's better in the first week of December? Losing or winning? I think fighting until we are mathematically eliminated is the only way to go. Screw the draft.

2. TannDaMan17

TannDaMan17 Well-Known Member

We have no control either way, so just enjoy the ride...

DolfanISS likes this.
  3. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

Its not like we are good at drafting either way

finomenal and El Calebra like this.
  4. TheWozz

TheWozz FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I root for the Phins to win games every time they play. Good players can be found throughout the draft and bad teams blow early draft picks regularly...

But I've found no direct correlation to my rooting and the results on the field for 45 years so it may be a moot point.

josephreese likes this.
  5. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

we can always trade up

6. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater Not Quite A Shredder Finheaven VIP

Just try to win. High picks rarely seem to turn around bad teams. Better to keep learning how to win, and draft smart.

fishfanmiami, Dakar001, Ren and 2 others like this.
  7. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

A real fan roots for wins not next year's draft pick.

How'd the suck for Luck deal work for the Colts.

FinaticalFinfan and Ren like this.
  8. Goin` Deep

Goin` Deep "Pick your guy and let it fly" Finheaven VIP Donator

I never want to see this team lose

FinaticalFinfan, Ren and Travis34 like this.
  9. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

I’m not going to worry about our draft position until week 16 or 17. Anything can happen with all of the teams until the season ends, no point in banking on a top 5 pick

FinaticalFinfan likes this.
  10. Dolphins512

Dolphins512 My Friends Call Me Bob Finheaven VIP Donator

11. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Pretty good. They Went the playoffs every year and a title game before injuries started mounting up on Luck.

12. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP Donator

pretty good until they ran the roster into the ground....

13. rent this space

rent this space Starter Finheaven VIP

Plenty of teams make a living picking in the 20's every year, celebrate the wins

14. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

How many high draft picks are still on the roster for the Dolphins in the last 10 years? How many are hall of famers?

Doesn't matter where the Dolphins pick...it will be a mediocre player. Root for the wins.

15. hoops

hoops exited stage left

when the qb play is this lousy I will take the pick.

thanks

16. Ben Had

Ben Had FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Yep.

fishfanmiami likes this.
  17. traptses

traptses Starter

Well Cleveland has been picking in the top 10 for the past 50 years, and the higher pick isn’t helping them any.

Win. It’s not like you can’t find value in a draft

18. BobDole

BobDole Suck it Trebek

If there's no chance for a deep playoff run you want the draft pick ... every time. It's the difference between what you want and what you're left with - Martin vs James, anyone? Since there is little faith in Tannenbaum getting it right, a better analogy might be it's harder to brick a dunk than it is a layup.

If they're so bad at drafting, you want to make it easier for them to not **** it up. Not harder. Draft pick. Every time.

Snoop likes this.
  19. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Eh, when the season is lost, I care more about seeing how the younger players are developing than I do about winning meaningless games or even draft picks, so I get enjoyment out of it either way. I don't really root for or against winning at that point. If we're winning games like yesterday, it means there's some positives to build on next season. I also enjoy watching other NFL games, so my season is never fully ruined until the Pats win the SB.

Side note, basing views of the draft on what we've done in previous years only makes sense if it's the same people making the picks. So, basing it on anything pre-Tbum doesn't make any sense whatsoever. If Tbum--Flying Spaghetti Monster-willing--is fired, it makes no sense to assume the next GM will make similar decisions. If this team is doomed to draft poorly forever, then there's not point rooting for it at all, because it will never contend for anything.

20. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Hobo Looks on in Confusion as Juice Scores Again Finheaven VIP Donator

I would love nothing more than to see the Dolphins somehow come out and totally **** stomp the Patriots on Monday Night Football.

21. Michigan Mike

Michigan Mike FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

I don't think seriously about the draft and our position in it until the season is over. Like a few have already said, high draft picks are probably less than a 50/50 proposition to give the team a chance at a Super Bowl in the next couple of years. There are more holes than what a top 10 pick can fill.

22. Gonzo

Is that because of where they were drafting or how they were drafting? Would they have fared better if they were picking later? Of course not. Probably worse. The argument makes no sense.

Also, they've been drafting pretty well recently. It's not showing yet because the team is very young, but the pieces are clearly there. Youngest team in the league. Meanwhile, we rely on overpaid vets (4th oldest team).

23. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Like Gonzo touched on . . . I root for seeing young players have success in game situations at this point. If that comes with wins or losses, it is all gravy either way. However, Next week is the Pats in our building . . . I would love nothing more than to beat the brakes off of them.

Feel bad for you if you actually rather see us lose or think winning hurts us. I mean seriously when we have had top tier draft positioning we have either hit singles or struck out, so I am going to enjoy the team before they hit us all with that 8 month layoff.

When I see Mccain, X and Tank play well. Drake, Kenny, Juice . . . guys on the line like Tunsil and Davis having good games. Phillips, Taylor, Harris and those guys all getting in the mix, knowing they are all 25 and younger . . . I feel good about it and I shouldn't have to feel silly for feeling good about my team winning a damn game because maybe we pick 12th instead of 9th now.

FinaticalFinfan and Travis34 like this.
  24. Ren

Ren Rookie

And you think Tannenbaum will do any better given a high draft pick? The argument makes no sense.

25. Gonzo

He would have had a higher likelihood of lucking into a good pick, yes, because the best talent is available earlier. But I've already made the argument that the team is better off with somebody else making the pick, so I'm not sure what your point is.

rickd13 likes this.
  26. traptses

traptses Starter

Just as many pro bowlers have been selected in the 2nd half of the first round as the 1st half. The idea that a top 10 pick guarantees success is silly

27. Tannchise

Tannchise A True Fan

can't attract free agents at 4-12. might as well trade up if they really want someone

28. PBay Fin Fan

PBay Fin Fan FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Higher draft picks always gives you a better chance for success, except Ireland of course. You always play to win, there is no prize or trophy for loosing.

29. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

I'm always down with the tank for all of my teams once the playoffs become unrealistic. But yeah.... When you stink the joint up the way we have lately.... It's nice to get a nice win, especially a blowout, in front of the fans. I actually felt good yesterday after the game.

30. Sarnics13

Sarnics13 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

In the last 17 years the patriots have had no RD1 pick five of those years, and selected lower than 20 only twice.

So in those 17 years they have made 15 RD1 selections (all but 2 being pick 20 or higher) and of those 15....8 have been probowl caliber players.

Maybe it has something you do with what you do with who you draft. We have shown far too large of a propensity to misuse players to worry about 5-6 draft pick positions. We've been getting some good things from the last 2 years and i see the trend going up.

phins_4_ever likes this.
  31. Gonzo

149 Pro Bowlers and 70 All-Pros drafted in the 1st half of the 1st Round since 1998.
    86 Pro Bowlers and 32 All-Pros drafted in the 2nd half of the 1st Round since 1998.

And just doing a quick look at the 20 who went to the most Pro Bowls from those top 10 picks, only Joe Thomas played for a team that never accomplished anything in that time.

The draft is multifactoral, for sure, but there is no doubt whatsoever that you have a better shot at landing a top talent the earlier you pick. If NE had top ten picks every year, you think they **** it up like the Browns did all those years? Of course not. They'd just have more rings and likely some undefeated seasons.

JamesBW43 and BobDole like this.
  32. DolfanISS

DolfanISS Perennial All-Pro Finheaven VIP

The a is a thread closer. Getting spun up because a team that’s trying to win didn’t lose is idiotic. High picks guarantee nothing. Remember how the site acted in 2011? How many Super Bowls have the Colts won since the supposedly Sucked for Luck? The way this place was acting the only feasible answer could be 5.

Also we are not replacing everybody in one offseason so it’s important to see the young guys who will be future contributors play well. Even if it results in wins.

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  33. Daytona Fin

Daytona Fin Burn the Jolly Roger Moderator Finheaven VIP

Winning makes me smile.

Smiling is my favorite,

phins_4_ever likes this.
  34. TeeMoney

TeeMoney Penny Wise and Dollar Dumb Finheaven VIP

Out of the last 10 1st round picks for Miami, maybe 4 have been good. None have been great (maybe can argue for Jake Long). I'd rather win than pin my hopes on some figment of the imagination.

35. finsfanjay13

finsfanjay13 Rookie Donator

Dolphins have proved that a high draft pick doesn't make the team better. So I'll take the wins.

36. russianbear

russianbear FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

logic says you want the better draft pick...

but anyone rooting for their team to lose on sundays can kick rocks as far as im concerned

so basically you could say it's a win/win for me.

37. DuderinoN703

DuderinoN703 We? What the **** we? Finheaven VIP Donator

It was fun hearing about Miami killing Denver. They haven’t looked that good all year. It’s meaningless though because NE will beat that *** on MNF next week.

It’s a weird place to be. Wanting a win while also wanting a better pick.

38. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Were going to win more games, I think 2 more. so it's going to be 7-9 & I think were still going to get a good draft pic too. so it's a win win for me to get both......

fishfanmiami likes this.
  39. lynx

lynx Well-Known Member

I think for anyone who has invested their entire life in an organization, it is impossible not to smile when they win.

40. PawmSWAT

PawmSWAT New Member

Tons of high draft picks are busts. The teams that are in contention every year aren't necessarily the teams that nail their first round picks. They are the teams that find Richard Sherman in the 5th, Antonio Brown in the 6th, Russell Wilson in the 3rd, etc. They just draft well overall. So unless you're looking for the top QB or two in the draft, I find where you draft to be relatively irrelevant.

lynx likes this.