Historical Dolphin Draft Picks and your Opinions | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Historical Dolphin Draft Picks and your Opinions

PhinsPhan

Pro Bowler
Reaction score
What was everyones opinion on famous draft picks like Zach Thomas, Jason Taylor, Sam Madison, Patrick Surtain.

For those of you that followed drafts as closely then as you do now what was your initial thoughts when we got these guys.

i remember thinking pat and sam could eventually make a great tandem. i didnt think to much of zach and jason really. i remember when jimmy cut jack del rio and made zach the starting mlb though. i remeber thinking what?!?!?.

I remember being really happy we got J.T. where we did...I was hoping we'd draft him and I was thinking 2nd round.

The only thing I thought about with Surtain is that we had given up a future first round pick to get the guy and he better be good. :lol:

Jason Taylor and Sam Madison were graded as first round talents that I felt great to get where we did. Many mock drafts had Taylor going top 20 but he was kind of a tweener who would go much higher in modern drafts because they emphasis the combine more than in the past. As for Surtain he was a dissapointing pick being that he had been clocked at about 4.7 at the combine and many scouts thought he was more suited to safetey. I rarely agree with giving up a future #1 for a second round pick. Well myself and most scouts were dead wrong. Zach Thomas was an undersized college linebacker who was drafted after Lacurtis Jones a guy who never made the team so so much for Jimmy and his genius designation. The same draft he also drafted two db's that never played for us Kirk Pointer and Dorien Brew both above Thomas. Not bad at all for the ninth player we selected in that draft. he was a major dart throw that panned out incredible. I doubt many on this board were actually that excited by him at the time he was drafted.

I thought the 1996 draft was an interesting draft.

I remember going into that draft thinking that Miami needed and would draft a linebacker. The top three were John Mobley, Reggie Brown, and Ray Lewis.

I also remember Daryl Gardener being projected as a top 10 pick, in particular to the New England Patriots in the top ten. I remember hearing about Bill Parcells throwing a fit because Bob Grier drafted Terry Glenn instead of Daryl Gardener.

I remember when it was time for the Dolphins pick, even though Daryl was on the board, I was thinking that Ray Lewis was a lock. I had projected Ray Lewis to Miami before that draft, and I just knew that Jimmy Johnson would reach into the University of Miami bag that he used so much in Dallas. I was somewhat shocked when Jimmy didn't take Ray.

KB21 said:

I remember going into that draft thinking that Miami needed and would draft a linebacker. The top three were John Mobley, Reggie Brown, and Ray Lewis.

I also remember Daryl Gardener being projected as a top 10 pick, in particular to the New England Patriots in the top ten. I remember hearing about Bill Parcells throwing a fit because Bob Grier drafted Terry Glenn instead of Daryl Gardener.

I remember when it was time for the Dolphins pick, even though Daryl was on the board, I was thinking that Ray Lewis was a lock. I had projected Ray Lewis to Miami before that draft, and I just knew that Jimmy Johnson would reach into the University of Miami bag that he used so much in Dallas. I was somewhat shocked when Jimmy didn't take Ray.

I thought Gardner was a great pick and was among the top 5 in talent that year. He was actually pretty good for a few years.

KB21 said:

Thats actually pretty interesting. What was the take on Lewis, why was the guy picked so late?

Also I remember Taylor having this beef with Mel Kiper does anyone know what Mel said about him when the Dolphins drafted him?

How did Zach win the starters job? Was he that good in training camp or what?

PhinsPhan said:
Thats actually pretty interesting. What was the take on Lewis, why was the guy picked so late?

Also I remember Taylor having this beef with Mel Kiper does anyone know what Mel said about him when the Dolphins drafted him?

How did Zach win the starters job? Was he that good in training camp or what?

Lewis was considered undersized for the position.

Back
Top Bottom