Historical Dolphins Moments | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Historical Dolphins Moments

Dsteve

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
So I'm new to these forums and would like to gage where people are coming from when we have these debates. I'm going to express some of my thoughts on drafts, FAs, coaches and most importantly to us DOLfans the quarterback blunders since marino. Just follow my lead and if i forget an important event (to you) then post it.

Jimmy Johnson - I was never too keen on him TBH and his SUPER ego that prevented him from building around a HOF in an effort to do things "his way" is what prevented us from winning anything while he was here. He basically took a complicated offense and broke it down to the level of a high school team. This is the root of our problems on offense right now as we have never had a good offesive minded coach or the proper talent at the QB position. First round busts like Yatil green and John Avery when we could have had moss put me in the ANTI JJ camp. The moss thing isn't hind sight either because even as a high schooler that was what I wanted for this team.

I will give Johnson credit, the man could draft defense. Sam Madison, Surtain, Jason Taylor, Zach Thomas all taken outside the first round. Pretty amazing. Too bad his offensive strategy was outdated.

Dave Wandstat - With my dislike for Jimmy Johnson I really wasn't a fan of this guy from the start. He continued the same old horrible conservative offense coupled with a complete lack of talent at the quarterback postion. Jamar Fletcher was a huge bust and I was one of the many that wanted Drew Brees. i will admit I didn't think much of chamber but he turned iout to be pretty solid. I wasn't a fan of his huge deal for Williams but I grew to love watching him play. Ricky was a HOF talent here but Dave rode him till the wheels fell off along with wasting our defense, in my mind a top 5 of all time. If not for the ravens they would have been the best defense of the era.

jay Fielder - He pisses me off so much that he gets his own block even though Wandstat married him. A game manager QB that lost numerous games for us by doing the only thing a gamemanager shouldnt do, throw the pick six. There's a reason when we dumped him and he didn't find another home. Sad thing is he's prob one of the better qbs we've had since Dan. His inept play cost us playoff wins and the death of the career of Lamar Smith after that 40 carry game in the wild card round.

Cam Cameron - An obvious loser who still wrecks careers in Balt. I was skeptical like most and knew this guy was a moron when he drafted Ted Ginn Jr and his family in the top ten. My exact words when we made this mistake were "atleast we didn't draft Quinn". LOL Thanks for the one jets win Teddy but you should have been a 3rd or fourth rounder and nobody in their right mind would have taken him when we did.

Culpepper Vs Brees - Even though I wanted to draft Brees I thought Culpepper was the better choice. Bum knee VS blown out shoulder? Who knew Moss, carter etc carried him in Minn. I don't think Brees would have been as good here or Dante as bad in NO but I don't fault the front office or coaches for this move.

Jake Long VS Matt Ryan - I think this was the right move. Wasn't impressed with Ryan out of college and his ZERO point playoff showing last year with all the talent a QB could want, pro bowl WR, RB, HOF TE and a nasty rookie, he's obviously not the stud most of south fla thought he would be. Jake Long, if he stays healthy, will be a HOF talent and anchor of our line for another ten years.

Dansby - a lazy, overpaid loser? Not a fan. Him and Burrnet and their miserable showing in our 0-7 start last year can take their huge cap number and shove it. If dansby comes in to camp actually in shape and doesn't contribute to another slow start maybe I'll change my tune. I wanted Kuechley or better yet, I wanted Patrick Willis instead of Ted Ginn JR and his ****ty family.

pouncey, the highest drafted center ever? - I like him as a player but hate the fact that was a hole on our team. Sattele (sp?) was serviceable. We traded him for nothing and signed an over paid often injured loser in jake grove. I saw this mistake coming a mile away. Thanks Bill Parcells.

Bill Parcells - a Stubborn stuck in the past loser. Great coaches adjust or are just that far ahead of their time liek Bill Walsh. Parcells is a dinosaur and I wasn't happy about his arrival

Jeff Ireland - It's hard to seperate him from Parcells. I was in the Fireland camp before the draft but Tannehill bought him some time. For me to want him here I need to see something from odrick. I won't fault him if Tannehill is a bust because after watching a ton of tape on Tannehill I'm real excitied. Other moves are questionable. I need to see something from D. Thomas. I don't get trading up for Lamar Miller unless they plan on parting ways with Bush after his contract is up. Brandon Marshall was a disaster from all angles. Giving up two seconds and only getting two thirds after a couple pro bowls with horrible quarterback play and even worse play calling? We knew he was a diva so they better have expected that **** too.

Chad Henne - I think he's talented. He never got a fair shake here with the bad coaching and horrible play calling. He never showed more than flashes here but I won't be surprised if he does well somewhere else eventually. His time ran out here but he was a Parcells guy. Basically a poor mans Drew Bledsoe.

Matt Moore - a great back up who gets way to much credit for beating a couple cup cake teams. Atleast we're moving in the right direction now.

Philbin - Seems like a good guy. Most optimistic I've been about a coach since forever. Can't wait to see some actual though go into our offense.

Sparano - Horrible, overly conservative loser. Have fun running the wild cat Jets fans.

Tannehill - I think he's going to be pretty good. Honestly glad we took him instead of giving up a **** ton for RGIII who I think will have a rough time becoming a pro. It's not so much a homers view point as it is an opinion after watching a majority of his college career. He's got the arm, he's got the makings of an NFL progression reader from his short time starting in college. I like the "swagger" I see and hear from him. His wife is super hot and almost worth the number 8 pick especially since miami has it's history in drafting family. The only guy I thought was worth a pick over Tanny was kueckley the MLB from bc but we've got fat dansby.

This is where I'm coming from. If i missed something major to you then post it and I'll give my thoughts. Here's to the hope in philbin and Tanny!

Good start Dsteve................:up:

This is where I'm coming from. If i missed something major to you then post it and I'll give my thoughts. Here's to the hope in philbin and Tanny!
From my perspective, the loss of Bill Arnsparger and Larry Gordon were the most significant in the franchise's history.

Arnsparger was huge. There is alot of bs turmoile since Marino. Feel like things are going are way, at least starting to get there. P Willis would have been nice. ZT could have taught him. Saban was a douche. Wanstach killed us. We will be back on top some day, and I will say I have been here this whole time. Go Dolphins.

When we lost to SD in 94 Arnsparger was there D coordinator if I remember correctly. Lost by 1. We missed a FG.

When I was a kid I remember burning all the stoyanivich football cards after that game.

In Arnsparger's 11 seasons in Miami with Shula, the Dolphins ranked first or second in total defense in nine of those seasons. Moreover, Shula's only two Super Bowl victories -- and, as well, the N.F.L.'s only unbeaten team -- were achieved with Arnsparger plotting defensive strategy.
He used a bend-but-don't-break philosophy that he still employs in San Diego. Without him, the Dolphins have mostly been a bend-and-break outfit, but this season's entry has shown some signs of formidability.
Nick Buoniconti, defensive captain when the Dolphins won consecutive Super Bowls in the early 1970's, recalls the sadness with which the Miami defenders bid goodbye in 1974 to Arnsparger, who became head coach of the New York Giants.

After Arns came Tom Olivadotti who REALLY sucked. We did not have a decent defense again until J J drafted Zach , Jason and the rest.

I think going back to the WFL and Joe Robbie's stubborness keyed the downfall of the great '70s team. Then in the early '80s we lost D. Overstreet, R. Chambers and L. Gordon. That was a huge loss. The '90s were bad due in most part to Huizenga getting bad info from his close NFL sources. The '00s were just a continuation of the 90s.
I think we're due and hopefully Philbin/Ireland can get this ship righted.

In Arnsparger's 11 seasons in Miami with Shula, the Dolphins ranked first or second in total defense in nine of those seasons. Moreover, Shula's only two Super Bowl victories -- and, as well, the N.F.L.'s only unbeaten team -- were achieved with Arnsparger plotting defensive strategy.
He used a bend-but-don't-break philosophy that he still employs in San Diego. Without him, the Dolphins have mostly been a bend-and-break outfit, but this season's entry has shown some signs of formidability.
Nick Buoniconti, defensive captain when the Dolphins won consecutive Super Bowls in the early 1970's, recalls the sadness with which the Miami defenders bid goodbye in 1974 to Arnsparger, who became head coach of the New York Giants.

After Arns came Tom Olivadotti who REALLY sucked. We did not have a decent defense again until J J drafted Zach , Jason and the rest.

Actually Chuck Studley was defensive coordinator before Olivadotti. Those three seasons from 1984 to 1986 were some of the worse in team history.

What I remember most about Olivadotti was him saying the defense was going to a more attacking style, gaining praise from the defensive players like Jeff Cross, and then going back to his bend but don't break style after one bad game.

Robbie made pro football in South Florida but he sabotaged the future with a handful of disastrous decisions:

* Too cheap with the scouting department, allowing guys like Bobby Beathard and George Young to look elsewhere

* Failure to grasp the WFL was a legit threat, at least in terms of initial raids

* Ongoing beef with the city commissioners leading to the abandonment of the Orange Bowl in favor of an already outdated incompetent sterile multi purpose catastrophe that will regulate football in this area for a half century

Shula was fantastic. The '72 season is the defining accomplishment in American team sports, with potential to survive unmatched for decades if not centuries, growing exponentially in lore and infuriating every opponent fan base. It's still hilarious that so many Dolphin fans pursue a dunce cap by downplaying the '72 feat.

But Shula obviously drafted poorly, and beyond that he made an incredibly ignorant lazy decision to over rotate and become masochistically pass oriented under Marino, in a league that still penalized that type of tissue paper approach. The NFC was flooded with relentless maulers on defense in that era, turning every Super Bowl for a decade into a refreshing massacre.

The double bizarre award, IMO, fits anyone who dismisses '72, while applying credit to Shula for adapting to personnel. Congratulations.

Late career coaches are always a gamble. Jimmy Johnson had great situational benefit with the Canes, walking into a roster with youngsters Bernie Kosar and Vinny Testaverde already in place. At Dallas he already had Michael Irvin and immediate resources toward Troy Aikman. With the Dolphins, Johnson had a mid to late 30s one dimensional quarterback coming off an achilles injury. He probably thought 35 was young enough. That was my only Dolphin beef with Johnson. If Marino had been 37 no doubt Johnson would have schemed to jettison him. At 35 there were just enough historical examples for Johnson to make a poor choice in terms of probability. Banking on a 35-39 year old Marino was like Shula banking on fewer than 25 rushes per game from late '84 forth. The exceptions mean nothing. You are volunteering into sub 25% categories.

Our early 2000s defense was Top 5 all time? The road pass defense was horrendous. I remember seasons when we were hard pressed to hold competent passers below 8 YPPA on the road. We were a bully defense that picked on inept quarterbacks on the road, including one season when we got to face Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf and a couple of other stiffs. Baltimore 2000 and particularly Tampa Bay 2002 had legitimately freakish defenses that could pick up their game on the road. The Buccaneers had the best road defensive YPPA of the modern era, allowing 4.7. We were in their league in literal terms only.

If Jay Fiedler was terrible, why did we want Dave Wannstedt to be anything other than conservative? I never understood that quinella. Throw the ball 40 times with a vulnerable quarterback and your strengths are minimized and your weaknesses magnified. I hope Philbin understands as much.

Way too rough on Dansby my friend. Not fair

[video=youtube;FMJVu9HyPU4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMJVu9HyPU4[/video]

Some early Dolphin history. i believe this video was make by a FH member.
These were the years before Shula's arrival.

Back
Top Bottom