Hockey Question.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hockey Question....

MikeO

Premium Member
Club Member
Reaction score
Im not a big NHL fan, I follow it a little but don't know many inner details about much of the sport.

My question is, how can a team that spent the most money for years and stunk for years (NY Rangers) be BETTER after there is a salary cap in place?

Did the rule changes help them and the players they had on their roster?

or

Did the salary cap allow them to dump every bad contract they had on their roster?

I don't follow the Rangers, but I'm guessing that it's because they got a lot of cheap players that fit into the new rules well (like Detriot). Also, they have this years MVP in Jarimor Jagr.

Because they overspent on a horde of players who didn't deserve the money. They had a whole bunch of Darren Dreiforts, and now they have a lot of guys who are not guaranteed anything and are fighting for playing time.

RWhitney014 said:
Because they overspent on a horde of players who didn't deserve the money. They had a whole bunch of Darren Dreiforts, and now they have a lot of guys who are not guaranteed anything and are fighting for playing time.

Exactly, plus the a bunch of the bad contracts expired or were bought out completly. They had some nice pieces before, but injuries, bad goaltending, and a lack of something called Defense. They have turned over much of the roster, and some of the younger guys are playing well with the old vets.

MikeO said:
Did the rule changes help them and the players they had on their roster?

Jagr has the best shot in hockey and now that they can't hold him to slow him down, its get plenty of open looks, so yes the rule changes are a big deal for how well they are doing

Jagr is healthy and happy for the most part (he's always happy when he is playing with fellow Czech's....Prusha, Ruchinzky, Straka, Rozsival, Malik).

I think the MAIN reason the Rangers are so much better though is this name...

Henrik Lundqvist.

as a lifelong rangers fan i can answer this question.

the salary cap FORCED the rangers to not sign big name players. They are using alot of young guys from the minor leagues who WANT to play. In the past they signed players who just wanted a paycheck. They now have players who play with heart and determination. For the first time since Mike Richter, they have a shut down goalie who makes saves he really has no business making. Good goaltending turns into confidence throughout the rest of the team. The rule changes do help guys like jagr but the Rangers D is vastly better as well.

Couldn't figure it out myself until I saw them play. I chalk it up mostly Jagr's desire to play. When he's focused, he's still one of the best out there. Lovely player to watch. And he's playing like a leader as well.
They've found a decent goalie in Lundqvist which they havn't had since Richter. I still think they'll be an early exit in the playoffs (nothing to back it up, only gut instinct).

The NY Rangers are only in first place because:

1. They have played more games than my Flyers;
2. Forsberg, and several other Flyers have missed many games.

It's ok....the Rangers will not make the playoffs as usual, despite always being the highest paid team. AND it is almost impossible to miss the playoffs in
hockey...you have to really $uck.

Roman529 said:
The NY Rangers are only in first place because:

1. They have played more games than my Flyers;
2. Forsberg, and several other Flyers have missed many games.

It's ok....the Rangers will not make the playoffs as usual, despite always being the highest paid team. AND it is almost impossible to miss the playoffs in
hockey...you have to really $uck.

correct me if I am wrong, but with a salary cap how they can STILL be the highest paid team? And aren't they one of the top 2 or 3 teams in the East right now? I don't see them missing the playoffs.

actually rangers arent even top 10 in high salary so that argument goes out the window

you flyers fans talk like youve actually done something in the playoffs recently..injuries are part of the game, not an excuse

edit: not you MikeO

it's easy... rules changes... open ice... let's offensive, one-way players shine... happening in a lot of places this season...

I find it interesting that EVERY year the Fyler's fans talk about "we are the best team in the East/this is the year/we are dominant" and then every year they fall FLAT ON THEIR COLLECTIVE ***** in the playoffs.

The Flyers will NEVER win anything until Bobby Clark realizes they need a LEGIT #1 goaltender to win in the playoffs. He's had a million years to find one yet always fails.

Injuries? EVERY team has injuries. I'll admit the Flyers have had quite a few but Clark is the one who signed injury prone players. Peter Forsberg, the best player in the world, has'nt been healthy for years.

You'd figure he would know that he needs a #1 goalie more then anybody. Bernie Parent won him his Cup rings.

I'm not chiming in as a Rangers fan BTW...just a nuetral observer.

i agree...look at every stanley cup winner and they have a GREAT, not good, a GREAT goalie

lets do the past 10 years

brodeur x3
chris osgood
patrick roy x2
khabibulin
Belfour
mike vernon?

Slappy8800 said:
i agree...look at every stanley cup winner and they have a GREAT, not good, a GREAT goalie

lets do the past 10 years

brodeur x3
chris osgood
patrick roy x2
khabibulin
Belfour
mike vernon?

Vernon and Osgood were special cases...they played behind DOMINANT teams.

Other then that, look at the entire HISTORY of the Stanley Cup. You'll find maybe 5 teams that won in spite of the golatending.

You don't win unless you have a GREAT goaltender...Hall of Fame goaltending to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom