hoops scoops...bucs dolphins | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...bucs dolphins

hoops

Tua time!
Reaction score
ok let's put it all out there...

john jerry good on the move but terrible in line in both pass pro and run blocking...got eaten alive by lateral quickness and agility off the ball...

jon martin started slow in fact it was him and jerry that were poor and the issues on the oline in the first quarter but martin bounced back in the 2nd quarter...this scheme though doesn't do jerry or martin many favors and maybe clabo either given the angles they want these guys to make cut blocks in etc...some of these guys are at a disadvantage cause they are just not laterally quick enough to get to their assignments...jon martin tried to cheat and line up off the los on one play so he could cut a guy that otherwise he wouldn't get to and he still couldn't make the block...martin was not as good as he was against the texans...and again i saw martin with his hands on his hips in the first quarter needing a blow...get in game shape already you are the left damn tackle for crying out loud...

josh samuda the difference as a move athlete when he is on the field is significant...i think agree with pat london when he says samudas issues are technique based...i thought he was much better than jerry obviously and the oline was more solid with him in the game...he would be my opening game starter...i think his issues are correctable with reps and coaching...

loved the way the rbs picked up blitzers and late pressure in pass pro...lamar miller very sound as was d thomas...which by the way are the run away top 2 backs folks...

ryan tannehill continues to read the coverage like a maestro i know he missed some things with errant throws and some balls that were catchable but not the best placed but he makes coverage reads like a 5 year vet...that kids not gonna take you out of games with bad decisions...he's just not...i'm sure omar is hating on the 3rd down where he held the ball too long and took a sack well i have to tell you i have seen joe flacco do the exact same thing plenty instead of forcing a bad decision of throw he eats the ball and lives to play another day...threw some straight dimes that were dropped also...but we'll get into that...

brandon gibson hey if you let that guy continue to get free releases off the los and into his routes he's a win option in the slot...i'm not worried about the drops...he looks like a solid fit in this o and is playing smart...sells some things well early in his routes...and while i have some concerns about how he will handle press when we see it miami has done some smart things by lining him up off the ball and eliminating a lot of the physical play at the los for him...if he's a yard off he's got the wiggle and polish to get into his routes clean and is showing he understands coverage and leverage well...

mike wallace playing smarter also than i expected...big things for that guy folks...if he stays healthy big things...reading zone coverage well and knowing when to sit down and we all know how much of a vertical threat he is...

brian hartline will dime you up with his route running on the outside...no wasted motion with his feet and footwork corners continue to drop on him and he just dimes em up at the sticks...very smart wr...solid b/t the 20's option on the outside...

dion sims continues to show well in line as a blocker...i like what i see in that regard...gonna play in a lot of packages this year in line as a blocker imo...gaining trust

jonas gray getting run as the 3rd rb i like it...barring injury i doubt he plays other than goalline but i think they keep him...gillislee on the other hand not getting any specials run and not showing anything...i'd expose him to waivers frankly and see if i can do better on another teams cut...there's no real upside there...and no burst...no power...just a guy

charles clay showcased as the #1 te looked like he did last year to start the season...lackluster route running didn't sell anything and still showing he's not reading coverage well...zone drop tanny expects him to square in and sit down he continues to run the route right into the coverage luckily the defender drops what would have been an easy pick...drops a ball down the seam between defenders placed as perfectly as it could be off his front shoulder that would have been 6...the ball can't be placed any better...great read he won on the route and he just dropped a perfect throw...anyways he's your #1 te folks and of the in house options still the best one by a good margin as a pass catcher so i guess we just hope for the best...

unfortunately to my eye it looks like marvin mcnutt is your 5th wr...ehhh...that big body seems to be influencing the staff...but that guys not gonna win much against coverage so i guess we will waste a spot...

rishard mathews run with the first team coverage units and also with the 1's at wr...i think he's a lock...

bryan tyms and bumphis the only other decisions they have to make...well mcnutt bumphis and tyms...i'd be careful exposing tyms but i think looking around the league they may get away with it and get him on the p squad...

bumphis...thiggy has won both returner jobs and he should have em frankly...bump is not getting run with the 2 deep wr core i don't know if they are hiding him for the p squad or what at this point...he doesn't have much upside admittedly but he's also a great fit for this o...hard to say what's going on there

this team has a tough decision to make now with lance louis...he's back he's playing fully and he looks like he's getting some of his athleticism back...if it's me he's probably the one on the oline i'm thinking hard about depth wise...him jerry and garner

egnew should make this roster barring some other teams cuts that can help us more now being brought in or a trade...i don't think if he does play this year for us he will do much barring injury to clay or sims...i would not involve him in many packages still...

odrick on d is killing people with his lateral quickness and speed into gaps...not very evident in space at de against better athletes he's a mismatch at dt full time and looks terrific...solia also showing as advertised...

randy starks looks a little rusty but i guess that's to be expected given the time missed...i love our dt rotation...we gonna do damage with it

olivier vernon definitely an improved pass rushing de...last year it was all power and hand strength...showed off a nice stand up edge rush where he was able to get skinny gain the inside shoulder and explode thru for a sack...i like what i see from olivier vernon...more rush arsenal same bull strength

boy oh boy does coyle love to blitz his new lbs...ellerbe has a knack for the snap count and having perfect timing as a rusher thru gaps on the inside...reading his keys well also

seeing a lot of pressures bringing both lbs and safeties etc...i love it...coyle does not sit back and let the opposition dictate...he forces the ball out fast with pressure...so much different than mike nolan who depended on the front too much for pressure...

3rd and long got a blitz pressure look defended the play well forced josh freeman to throw underneath for what should have been an easy tackle short of the sticks and a forced punt chris clemons takes a bad angle to the ball and lets mike williams free for a 14 yard conversion...got to be better than that

josh freeman...yeesh...bucs caught us in some things they should have been able to take advantage of personnel wise but freeman was just way errant...ugly showing for a guy trying to lock up a franchise qb contract...

forget any jimmy wilson is getting cut stuff folks...he played as a 3rd safety in some packages an coveraged the slot also in man and zone coverage with the 1's...they like his versatility...i do too...he's making the 53 and active on game day

brent grimes fits this d damn well...he's terrific in off coverages awareness wise and driving on the football or man...

nolan carroll i think the walrus nailed it when he said he doesn't have awareness...he can be in position all day long but he doesn't find the football...still that's your week 1 nickle boundary cb folks...i'm fine with it...

they'll go into week 1 with grimes patterson and carroll your top 3 corners...it's a wrap...jamar taylor and will davis as the top 2 backups...only other decision they have to make is rj sanford...given the specials impact at gunner i think he makes it as the 6th corner...the rest are cut already

at safety the top 3 are locked in it's just about whether or not they cut kelci mccray...i personally would let him go and if possible p squad him if not i would feel comfortable that if i get an injury in my top 3 he would be available...he's just not impressive enough from a sound assignment safety wise for me to keep him yet...

only decision i see at dt is vaughn martin and or aj francis...i could see em keeping both i could see em cutting both and p squading francis or one or the other...all i know is if i was martin i would be nervous...

backup lb hell throw a dart at a dart board...they all stink...i'm tired of talking about em...trusnick poa only spitler no instincts poor athlete freeny getting hard look on specials jenkins looks lost all the time...if they keep 3 of these guys cause of need i feel bad for whoever they cut in their place...

saw something i really didn't like....antwan applewhite getting run in the 2 deep at de...folks that guy is here to be a pass rusher depth option period...he's not stout enough to play an every down de...he's a situational pass rusher only...the fact that he can already get run in the 2 deep given he's essentially here to provide insurance for dion jordan and he's in the 2 deep already says to me jordans medically a real concern...put it this way applewhite makes the 53 man roster you will have your answer on how long dion jordan is likely to miss...

i am hoping like hell his nameplate is gone in a week...

now for guys who might as well plan on a visit from the turk...josh kaddu, keenan davis, julius pruitt, kyle miller, andrew mcdonald, michael clay, julian posey, deandre pressley, tyrone culver, keelan johnson, jordan kovacs, lee robinson, tracy robertson, tristan okpalaugo, emeka onyenekuu jeff fuller come on down coach wants to see you...and bring your playbook

i think this team also is going with no fullback which means imo javorskie lane and evan rodriguez are gone too...it's what i would do also in this o...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what the will decide about gray. I think he may not make the final cut. The final WR spot is also a close call to me. It does seem like they are letting mcnutt get alot of playing time not sure they are willing to give up on tyms. Bumphis not sure where the coaching staff is exactly with their evaluation of him. I think we maybe need to add a TE from whatever team has this issue like we have for the final WR spot and gets cut. I can tell you watching Freeman I think Tampa has a problem and I think they are aware of it. Talk about inaccurate he gets that description from me and not just from last night and he should be further along then thill at this point and I haven't seen it. Thursday I think comes down to the final WR RB and DL spots so that's what I will be paying particular attention to.

I really didn't see any errant throws from Tannehill. I saw him force some stuff to clay that looked designed to me..All his drops were easily catchable.

Curious to hear more specific analysis on Tyms from you. He's looked pretty solid all preseason to me. Throw in the fact that he has only one year of real D-1 ball, and last year as a PS player, and I see a player with real potential at this point. One who's worth looking past his shortcomings to this point, and giving a roster spot to. He's blown routes a few times this preseason, but he has unteachable physical skills, and is reportedly intelligent and hard working. Given his very limited experience he looks like the kind of player who can blossom from a nobody into a solid contributor.

I really didn't see any errant throws from Tannehill. I saw him force some stuff to clay that looked designed to me..All his drops were easily catchable.

missed wallace between the corner and safety soft spot on a nice read but ball overthrown...threw a ball too far inside to clay on a underneath quick hitter that admittedly clay never got separation but the ball should be placed out front away from the backside defender...threw a ball way too hot to clay off pa where he wanted to go long but the corner didn't bite on wallace checked it down to clay and thru a howlitzer...finally some would say he threw the ball too far inside to gibson on the end zone td drop but to me that ball should have been caught...and if you want to see signs of anticipation from your qb take a look at where gibby is when tanny rares back to throw and where he and the ball end up...he read that coverage beautifully and did what you have to do in the red zone...throw with anticipation...not where the guy is but where he will be...

Awesome write up. Do you think Devlin sticks this year?

yes...but he hasn't shown well enough where i'd be comfortable cutting matt moore and giving him the #2 job...i think devlin is viewed as tannys backup pretty soon...

matt moore not playing could be about a lot of things...hard to say...but i don't think off what i saw from devlin against the bucs that i would feel comfortable yet with him as the #2...i didn't see enough

Kinda shocked at how bad Freeman looked. Their DT Akeem Spence looked great.

Finally someone hits it on the head on both Gillislie and Jenkins. Both of the Gator guys are average at best.

McNutt is good on the slants in this offense.

Odrick looks so lively now - he's going to have a great year.

The AFC east is there for the taking.

Curious to hear more specific analysis on Tyms from you. He's looked pretty solid all preseason to me. Throw in the fact that he has only one year of real D-1 ball, and last year as a PS player, and I see a player with real potential at this point. One who's worth looking past his shortcomings to this point, and giving a roster spot to. He's blown routes a few times this preseason, but he has unteachable physical skills, and is reportedly intelligent and hard working. Given his very limited experience he looks like the kind of player who can blossom from a nobody into a solid contributor.

i don't have an argument with any of that...hell i like him...said against dallas off what i saw he was interesting...has burst can separate has long speed and uses his hands well for as raw as he is at the stem of his route...but looking around the league at the wr depth i think we can hide him...i would not keep mcnutt over him but given the way the reps went as in the timing of them that i saw i think they trust mcnutt more...

if i kept 6 wides my last would be bump and tyms...i'd cut mcnutt...mathews would make my roster also...

yes...but he hasn't shown well enough where i'd be comfortable cutting matt moore and giving him the #2 job...i think devlin is viewed as tannys backup pretty soon...

matt moore not playing could be about a lot of things...hard to say...but i don't think off what i saw from devlin against the bucs that i would feel comfortable yet with him as the #2...i didn't see enough
Agreed. I thought this was a chance for him to take a step forward and didn't see it. I think that's why the coaching staff gave him extended playing time along with Clay and just didn't see either step up. Devlin's pocket awareness seems a little lacking to me at times.

Back
Top Bottom