hoops scoops...colts dolphins... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...colts dolphins...

hoops

Tua time!
Reaction score
let's start by asking what in gods name was that gameplan coverage wise??? i have never seen such soft looks by the dbs both on the boundary and in the slot against a team that couldn't run the ball if their lives depended on it...8 yards off outside leverage in the slot wtf??? how bout 10 yards off on the boundary over and over...kevin coyle was bad today folks bad...until that last damn drive we had to get a stop to get a chance at the tie or win we played some of the softest coverages just giving luck yards and completions...450 plus yards passing by a rookie...a lot of which was just damn given to him...

as for the actual play to my eye nolan carroll had the best day of any db today...outside of again a off coverage slant route missed tackle in space resulting in a 20 yard gain after the rac carroll was solid...gave away a intermediate crossing route off pa to reggie wayne but that was more a the ball should have come out by now than bad play by carroll...

we go 6 dbs rj sanford comes on the field and immediately they go after it on 3rd and 20...3rd and 20 and sanford it beaten for a vertical come back pretty much that can't happen...yeesh

sean smith you better hope they erase todays tape off your video your agent presents for free agency...my god...today was bad...and when we did actually have the right coverage called what in gods name were you doing on the hilton td on the post coming right at you...the plays facing you as you go down the field where's the ball awareness and pick undercutting the route??? missed tackles in zone on 3rd down short of the sticks you name it just bad...find the damn ball sean!!! how bout the dropped int with no contact when we did actually play press coverage and jam guy and force luck to make a bad throw behind the te at the end of the game...dropped as you transition the ball to the other arm...wtf???

i think a lot of people want to give sean smith heat for the reggie wayne td but i think because of the bunch formation smith takes an outside leverage presnap and expects reshad jones to bracket the play on the inside...jones gets caught peeking in the backfield and doesn't get the depth...and luck throws it behind him and high for the td...

speaking of reggie wayne why does it take a half for miami to decide to take him away with extra attention??? jimmy wilson in the slot wore a target today whenever he was across from wayne...that should have been part of the gameplan from jump...

chris clemons in 2 deep once again takes a step or two forward off pa and let me tell you that pa action was horrid never close to being handed off to the back and then can't get back to give smith help down the seam...result big catch over the top of the d...in 2 deep no less...against a team that can't run so why in the world is clemons taking false steps on the play???

didn't get enough pass rush from the inside today...cam wake was held on the opening play of the damn game spun around no call 20 yard gain...starks was doubled on passing downs expect more of that til someone else steps up vernon flashed a few times getting off blocks but luck felt the pressure well and got rid of the ball...tough day just seemed like luck was one step ahead of us all day on the gameplan...

paul solia had two undersized centers today and he dominated them both in the run game but come on big paul run some of these damn smurfs over and collapse the pocket from the inside with some damn pass rush...satele and aj shipley are undersized guys you should destroy...

not kevin burnetts best day in coverage either in the flats or down the field...a few plays i felt like he needs to keep the back from the first down in the passing game...

koa misi i saw this coming with...teams are now scheming to attack him in coverage down the field...look for that to continue cause he's easily taken by pa and just not comfortable yet carrying man coverage down the field...i even saw in the 2nd half where we pulled him cause of the coverage concerns...

on offense this team struggles to run the ball with any consistency...these 2 wr sets we keep running out of just aren't getting it done...miami can't even run with any consistency against the colts undersized front...and why not run directly at those ends??? dissappointed with the oline in the run game...

speaking of oline jake long...yeesh...that was awful...another guy that should hope his agent erases that tape...beaten repeatedly off the edge hell even antonio johnson got you off balance and grabbed tannehill forcing a errant throw...couple that with a blatant hold at the end of the game and a terrible decision to leave the de for the rb and take the blitzing lb and i'm just like what the hell...the left tackle was terrible today...maul somebody for gods sakes!!!

ryan tannehill i love you my man and i flat out love your decision making and i think it's laughable that people think matt moore gives us a better chance to win but you can't on that last drive let the moment get to you and you can't miss that ball in the flat to daniel thomas on the dump off that could have put us in much better position down and distance wise...franchise qbs make that throw guys like mark sanchez overthrow it...a golden op to take the team down the field and put the winning points on the board and unfortunately it wasn't there today...i will say though that 3rd and 15 when the opp knows that you have to throw and you have our weapons at wr sets you behind the 8 ball...

daniel thomas probably your best game this year a dolphin...both in the running game and as a pass reciever...daniel thomas was solid today...

reggie bush beautiful vision and cuts on the 18 yard stretch run td that was a thing of beauty with the jump cut back to the inside and showed nice patience...still feel like bush is underutilized in the passing game...i'm still a little unhappy though with the east and west stuff at the los when he should take what he can get but that's reggie bush...take the good with the bad

brian hartline sure knows how to wear out bad corners...i know that much...his route running is really solid...comes back to the ball also for his qb and he'll catch in traffic...

lamar miller gets one carry reads it well and cuts up inside of his right tackle for a nice gain but loses his balance on the play and goes down pretty much with no contact and never gets a sniff again...miami needs to get miller in the game more...and when he does get good looks into the 2nd level he needs to maintain his balance...something of which i feel like he has pretty high end...balance and acceleration...

tough one fellas...no doubt about it...that damn gameplan on d coupled with some really poor play from the secondary did us in today...that and a high damn end qb...andrew luck is legit...no running game and 450 plus against our d??? holy hell...get ready to see a lot of the colts in the future...

playoffs are still possible but the secondary has to play better going forward the damn dc needs to call a better game and the oline and reggie bush need to be better in the run game...on to tennessee

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good write up. I forgot about Misi, he concerned me all game long.

I will say this, I really underestimated just how many weapons the colts have! So many more players capable of catching a pass than we do, it was painful.

What about Clay? Do you see him finally stepping up or do you think he will continue to be sub par? Fasano is a great blocker and red zone target, but Bess and Hartline desperately need help and Clay strikes me as the best man for that job if he could just play like he is capable of doing.

on the clay td he better win on that route...tannehill id'd the single high and clay on a mike backer that far down the field better win...and he did...great throw and read by the qb nice catch and rac for the td by clay...but other than that catch clay was ghost...still that should help the staff and tannehill trust him more...

but that route didn't really require any read by clay other than maybe break it off the outside and away from the safety...had he carried it up the field on the sideline instead of cutting to the outside i still think it's 6

we id'd the mismatch and we went after it...

I was trying to figure out what Coyle was doing. Said in the VIP chat that Coyle was getting out coached by Ariens in that game...said it pretty early too like the 2nd Colts possession.

Hugely disappointed by Long's game today. If you look at his 4 year career here it just seems like he's been in decline since his rookie season...maybe the injuries have diminished his abilities. I wouldn't pay him big money though that's for sure.

Tough game and I think, despite what most are saying on here, this one was all on the defense. We had opportunities for turnovers and we didn't make them, had too many WRs running free in our secondary and too many penalties at the worst time...even if they weren't really penalties.

Nice writeup as always. I agree on just about everything. I had to shake my head at that RJ 3rd and 20. I have to give props to Luck and the Colts for consistently attacking our weak spots. You've been talking up Nolan all year and I'm really starting to buy in. Not that it's saying too much because of how the rest of the secondary performed, but he was the best corner out there. That seems a bit harsh on Misi. The PI call was bull**** there was no contact. He was in position even if he didn't have the awareness to play the ball. Lamar's carry was interesting. I wish we got to see more of that. He was way off balance but still managed a solid gain. Tannehill was yelling at him even before the play. I wish we knew more about what was going on with the Miller situation.

This loss was a shame. We've already spent most of our growing pain losses early in the year if we were looking to make a playoff run. I was worried our secondary would cap our success this year and it definitely looked like that today. Disturbing because we haven't even faced the patsies yet.

Nice writeup as always. I agree on just about everything. I had to shake my head at that RJ 3rd and 20. I have to give props to Luck and the Colts for consistently attacking our weak spots. You've been talking up Nolan all year and I'm really starting to buy in. Not that it's saying too much because of how the rest of the secondary performed, but he was the best corner out there. That seems a bit harsh on Misi. The PI call was bull**** there was no contact. He was in position even if he didn't have the awareness to play the ball. Lamar's carry was interesting. I wish we got to see more of that. He was way off balance but still managed a solid gain. Tannehill was yelling at him even before the play. I wish we knew more about what was going on with the Miller situation.

This loss was a shame. We've already spent most of our growing pain losses early in the year if we were looking to make a playoff run. I was worried our secondary would cap our success this year and it definitely looked like that today. Disturbing because we haven't even faced the patsies yet.

the pi call was garbage on misi...but if you face guard and don't get your head around they are told to call it every time...and let's face it misi getting his head around in vertical man coverage is pretty damn unlikely...the guy played dline in college and only was responsible for dropping into soft zone and the flats as a 34 olb prior under nolan who utilized him like **** while he was here...

I was very disappointed in Jake Long. I don't even think Freeny is 100%. I just don't see him being a Dolphin next season, that money can be spent else where. We could have gotten that same performance or better from a rookie LT today.

OP, your marklars are wise and true. Silver lining taken from this game possibly is that our D was exposed and we must address it through the draft, big time. We need another pass rusher, and olb, corner and FS. Also the Long isn't worth 10 million $.

jake long walks draft jake matthews of texas a & m with our top pick...i know it's not sexy but that kids made for the zbs and he can play...may even have left tackle feet in case jonathon martin who i personally feel doesn't have elite feet for the left side was to stay on the right...

and if jake leaves tackle becomes a major priority...unfortunately...

jake long walks draft jake matthews of texas a & m with our top pick...i know it's not sexy but that kids made for the zbs and he can play...may even have left tackle feet in case jonathon martin who i personally feel doesn't have elite feet for the left side was to stay on the right...

and if jake leaves tackle becomes a major priority...unfortunately...
I'm almost to the point where I want to get quality instead of quantity...package a couple of picks to move up in the first and then package a couple more to move back into the first give us two first rounders. Get a pass rusher and a WR or, if you let Jake Long walk and Joeckel somehow drops to 10 or 11 trade up and get that guy, then trade back in and take a DE....and then hope to goodness Quinton Patton is there in the 3rd.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah buddy...quinton patton is someone i could see philbin being in on...for sure...but 3rd round??? good luck...

fellas take a look at that last drive at the 2 minute mark...bush is held in the flats by the lb blatantly no call i mean that's awful...grabs the shoulder pad even up high....how the heck the line judge facing the play miss that???

and then that bogus false start on pouncey at center...that's awful...all he did was bring his rear back down and hold the ball...the kind of thing peyton maning and jefff saturday did every game all damn game long and no call...it's not a penalty anyways unless the qb starts faking the forward hand movement as peyton was famous for in prior years...god dang we got hozed on that last drive

yeah buddy...quinton patton is someone i could see philbin being in on...for sure...but 3rd round??? good luck...

fellas take a look at that last drive at the 2 minute mark...bush is held in the flats by the lb blatantly no call i mean that's awful...grabs the shoulder pad even up high....how the heck the line judge facing the play miss that???

and then that bogus false start on pouncey at center...that's awful...all he did was bring his rear back down and hold the ball...the kind of thing peyton maning and jefff saturday did every game all damn game long and no call...it's not a penalty anyways unless the qb starts faking the forward hand movement as peyton was famous for in prior years...god dang we got hozed on that last drive

Don't forget about how we got called for holding on the kickoff because our guy got pushed down.

I was at the game today and I think you nailed it perfectly. I tried to watch Carroll and Smith alot and obviously Wilson vs Wayne. Which why in gods name did they think was a good idea? I saw it coming every time, Luck missed a few big plays Wayne could've easily had after beating Wilson. But when Smith was on him and DID press he locked him down pretty well. It was odd, he'd follow him around the field sometimes, but not others. Smith definitely should've stuck with him all game, pressing or not. Carroll did play well other than a few miscues like you said, solid tackling from him too.

Its hard to locate every on the field every play being at the games I feel like. But it seems like my thoughts pretty much sync up with yours. It didn't feel like we were getting much pressure, but some of that has to be Luck's ability to move around in the pocket. I thought this was going to be a good game that would go either way and I was right. It just sucked to see the defense get so roasted.

Also, I feel we under utilized Reggie as well, but its in the past.

-was that Vernon who blocked the field goal as well?

side note- Good god Colts fans are annoying. I expected it living here in Indiana, but a stadium full of them was just obnoxious. A guy behind us was talking to his buddy, two old rednecks wasted, saying they should throw it to Reggie. Every single down. Even if he wasn't on the field!

Don't forget about how we got called for holding on the kickoff because our guy got pushed down.

no doubt...that was terrible also...but we did get to the 50 again with a 1st and 10 and come up goose eggs...some poor execution and some poor officiating

i saw where we had held the opposition coming into yesterday to a like 26 % conversion rate on 3rd down...i bet yesterday the colts converted on 80 % of them damn suckers...and it seemed like everytime we had em behind the down and distance like 3rd and 8 or more they converted as well...

Back
Top Bottom