hoops scoops...day 3...an odd finish... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...day 3...an odd finish...

hoops

Tua time!
Reaction score
before i get into todays results i'll just give you something else to chew on regarding the will davis cb pick after i did a recheck of everything i had on him this morning...

this is no lie...there was only one rep in the senior bowl week 3 days of practice that he was solid on...and that rep was against a wr in aaron mellette who's as raw as they come and last i checked still hasn't heard his name called...in 11 on 11 single high safety though practice mellette beat him for a deep vertical he trailed on by 2 yards...on thursday they brought in the wr lemon from syracuse who's another guy that's name i'm yet to hear drafted and he ate up will davis also...in the senior bowl game the play he did make was a result of jordan poyer driving on a route and getting the receiver to tip the ball right into davis hands for the int...i'm sorry fellas but the kid did nothing...he's not strong he doesn't have the strength in his hands to really jam and reroute a guy and he trails on the route on the regular...gets caught flat footed...184 lbs...

anyways now that we're done with that action let's talk about today...

first off i had no idea that this team was so loaded that we could use high 4th round picks given our needs on special teams core players and competition at will backer for our freshly minted $26 mil man philip wheeler...cause that's how jelani jenkins projects to me...competition and most likely depth with high end specials abilities...this kid does have talent and he runs to the football...like wheeler though he's a guy that needs to be clean doesn't get off blocks well or sift through traffic and not very strong at the poa despite the 27 reps of 225 lbs ...i don't know...i don't hate it but it seems to me like the kind of move teams with not many needs make...i'm sure he'll beat out spitler for his roster spot given he's more sudden...right now the only real strength at the poa this lb core has is misi but i think we may see with dion jordan in fold olivier vernon making the switch to solb as well...seems like a logical move to me

dion sims i kinda saw coming or at least a in line capable of handling himself te...i think the value there was solid given the need and the fact miami had no one at the position that could play in line and not be a liability...that said he's not the blocker fasano was at this stage he dropped about 15 lbs to run fast from his playing weight and still ran a 4.75 40 i would think he's probably gonna end up putting some of that weight back on...i hope he doesn't cause it would help his suddenness and ability to get down the field but while he has soft hands i think he's your primary in line te and guy that works the underneath and intermediate...not as polished as fasano...i'm just damn glad they didn't take nick kasa for the role...who can't block a paper bag...but at least they realized dustin keller in line was never gonna work...

mike gillislee i like the pick given where we got him...plays a little bigger than he is he's solid in all facets doesn't wow you with anything...

the kicker yeah the day i talk about a kicker is the day i want to be shot in the head...whatever...i guess ireland saw the run on kickers coming...ha ha

i think my biggest issue though is we did jack squat to get more weapons in the passing game in this draft...nothing...added no threat down the seam or on the outside playmakers...we lost our slot and didn't replace it...i don't agree with any wallace, hartline, gibson, and mathews and we're good when it comes to playmaking at the position nonsense...i'm plum shocked that i guess they took the true slot out of the offense and took that away from tannehill...why take away one of the kids strengths??? they didn't add any te that teams must scheme for in both facets with the ability to line up in line and be flexed out wide to take advantage of mismatches...

and i still can't find the answer at tackle anywhere...what's the plan to protect tannehill??? smoke and mirrors???

They'll answer tackle with one of the FA on the market. Or a trade. They've opened up even more cap space. Enough that they have plans for it this year rather than rolling it over.

Agree on the lack of offensive weapons we are going into next season with. After Wallace we are average at best. We should be giving our young qb as many legitimate targets as possible.

Hoops this Davis kid was rated fairly high from what I call the pre draft guides but the CBS and GBN guides had him much lower. Which leads me to ask you have you had a chance to see any of his game tapes or for that fact do we have any fans who watched this kid much in college?

Hoops this Davis kid was rated fairly high from what I call the pre draft guides but the CBS and GBN guides had him much lower. Which leads me to ask you have you had a chance to see any of his game tapes or for that fact do we have any fans who watched this kid much in college?

i saw 3 games...was not impressed...didn't go back for another look after the senior bowl cause after it i took him off my board...was not interested...frankly senior bowl backed up what i saw in the games so i felt i had a good grasp on him...

Brandon Lloyd, Eric Winston or Clabo

Could have used more weapons, my only gripe aside from the Davis pick. Thought we did a solid job, gotta add a FA tackle, which is the right route anyway when it's all said and done. Wheeler has experience at SLB so I could see him getting shifted there in 2014 and having Jenkins play on the weakside if he shows any promise. Good coverage guy, exactly what we needed to add to our core, that's why I like the pick. I could see a lot of 3-4 looks with the personnel we're bringing in, Wake and Jordan are plenty capable on the outside, with Ellerbe and Wheeler on the inside. I'd go as far as saying our personnel might be even better suited for a 3-4...

Will Davis was an absolutely atrocious pick.

Maybe the FO figured they didnt want to help Tannehill out so he can get used to throwing to WR's that can't get separation. That way it forces him to be more accurate. Weird, I know, but that's the only explanation I can come up with. Or the FO is seriously delusional if they think our WR group does not need improving.

the one thing i will say also is in taking a good look at will davis work i also decided to eye ball some more jamar taylor and he looked very comfortable as i had stated prior in off coverages...the only thing i didn't see was despite the terrific speed i didn't see great closing speed...i don't see run you down in the open field from behind here...not a great 2nd gear burst with the ball in the air...if guys had him by 2 yards on a route it kinda stayed that way...that's a little different from a vontae davis who could close and run you down...terrific quick acceleration

My honest opinion on grading this draft is we as usual drafted for needs that were obvious and I came away filling like that the picks were a bit of a crapshoot. I am just so darned tired of rebuilding I sure hope Philbin works out because many of these picks are just fill in picks that we drafted years ago already because we have a coach who wants different players. When or if we change out coaches again I sure hope we hire one who can work with the current players while infusing talent. We have churned the team way to much for my tastes this year to expect much this year. Kinda feels like a expansion team. I have said this before but if I were a GM I would do what the Pats did in the first round trade back when a good offer comes along and get as many picks as possible. Really the draft is a bit of a numbers game on top of evaluating talent just get about 12 picks every year and expect about 6-7 to stick and eventually you have a decent team. Best GM for the Phins in my lifetime Jimmy Johnson and that was his style and we got pro bowlers in every round. So much for my rant.

Could have used more weapons, my only gripe aside from the Davis pick. Thought we did a solid job, gotta add a FA tackle, which is the right route anyway when it's all said and done. Wheeler has experience at SLB so I could see him getting shifted there in 2014 and having Jenkins play on the weakside if he shows any promise. Good coverage guy, exactly what we needed to add to our core, that's why I like the pick. I could see a lot of 3-4 looks with the personnel we're bringing in, Wake and Jordan are plenty capable on the outside, with Ellerbe and Wheeler on the inside. I'd go as far as saying our personnel might be even better suited for a 3-4...

i agree with a lot of that...jenkins is a great coverage lb...no doubt...but i don't see given our current lb core where it would be better suited for a 34...most these guys need to be clean to the ball...not great strength in the hands to shed...misi and vernon if they move him the exceptions

i don't at all like the idea of wheeler at solb...not enough lead in the pants not stout enough...don't like that at all

Still holding out some hope for Marquess Wilson...although its a pipe dream considering his off the field stuff. This FO must be pretty confident in Matthews...they better hope they are right.

Good stuff Hoops. Your research on Davis is helpful. Ireland admits Davis is a developmental guy. I think they are looking at his cone time, quickness, and natural hips and think they can develop his on-field play. I don't think there is any disputing that he's not there yet. What you are seeing at senior bowl I am sure is dead on and consistent with what Ireland pretty much admits. In view of Ireland's admissions, trading up in the 3rd for him looks like a major reach. I have to say that it looks like Ireland panicked. I would have loved to have seen them keep the three 4's and 5's and play the odds with more guys.

Jenkins--I've wanted them to develop good depth at LB for awhile. Sure, we've got the three starters, but we needed some young legs with burst for depth. We sure haven't had that in several years. I really wanted Khaseem Greene but I can get behind Jenkins especially his intangibles.

Sims--I've been warming up to him the past month. I saw him play a few times and he always looked a bit stiff to me. His speed is allegedly comparable to the likes of Gronk. I sure don't see that on the field. But with Keller, you can bet Philbin needed a bigger TE as a complement. I think this kid will end up being a good pick and a Dolphin for several years. But I don't see him being a major seam buster.

Gillslee--I thought we needed a back there. I'd like to check whether he has a fumbling or durability problem. Anyone know? Those are Thomas's problems. I like the Gillislee pick overall.

Sturgis--I had a feeling we were going to take him. I had him on my pick 20 list.

I am amazed we didn't go get get a stretch the field threat in the slot, or a 6'4 receiver for the red zone. Maybe they will look at Marquess Wilson. They sure did their homework on him.

Overall, I am in the camp that the 3rd round was a major disaster, but the rest of the draft looks really good to my eyes. No safety yet, no tackle, nobody to stretch the seams at TE or slot receiver. Still some pretty big holes, but we are getting alot closer to where we want to be.

the one thing i will say also is in taking a good look at will davis work i also decided to eye ball some more jamar taylor and he looked very comfortable as i had stated prior in off coverages...the only thing i didn't see was despite the terrific speed i didn't see great closing speed...i don't see run you down in the open field from behind here...not a great 2nd gear burst with the ball in the air...if guys had him by 2 yards on a route it kinda stayed that way...that's a little different from a vontae davis who could close and run you down...terrific quick acceleration

No, Taylor doesn't have a burst. That's why I posted that while I like the pick I seriously doubt he can become a great player. I would have preferred to package and trade up. Granted, you need a partner.

I bet plenty of Boise State games. Often the first half, when every play is critical. Taylor has very good instincts but often when I needed an interception he couldn't close to get it. As you indicated, the gap stays the same. Even on his signature play against Osweiler in the Las Vegas Bowl, Taylor stumbled and the ball was more or less thrown to him, enabling the 100+ yard return.

My honest opinion on grading this draft is we as usual drafted for needs that were obvious and I came away filling like that the picks were a bit of a crapshoot. I am just so darned tired of rebuilding I sure hope Philbin works out because many of these picks are just fill in picks that we drafted years ago already because we have a coach who wants different players. When or if we change out coaches again I sure hope we hire one who can work with the current players while infusing talent. We have churned the team way to much for my tastes this year to expect much this year. Kinda feels like a expansion team. I have said this before but if I were a GM I would do what the Pats did in the first round trade back when a good offer comes along and get as many picks as possible. Really the draft is a bit of a numbers game on top of evaluating talent just get about 12 picks every year and expect about 6-7 to stick and eventually you have a decent team. Best GM for the Phins in my lifetime Jimmy Johnson and that was his style and we got pro bowlers in every round. So much for my rant.

well i think jordan and taylor are the two guys we took maybe an outside shot at dallas thomas at guard of a all pro...but probably just jordan if he reaches his potential...i did see a sick looking spin move in his arsenal that had me pretty damn excited...so there's a little more than just the outside speed rush...still needs a lot of work though...definitely though as talented an edge rush prospect as we've had upside wise...

more likely though taylor is a solid positional corner and plays assignments well...i don't see special but you never know...

Back
Top Bottom