hoops scoops...day 3...an odd finish... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...day 3...an odd finish...

No wide receivers drafted at all. I don't get it:

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/3/16/4112222/dolphins-free-agent-signings-insider-look-at-brandon-gibson

Brandon Gibson frustrated Rams fans for four seasons. Some weeks, from play to play most of the time, he would flash some incredible talent, like the one-handed sideline grab he made against the Dolphins last season. Then he would disappear when the Rams offense needed him most.

Gibson can catch the ball well enough. His limitations are exposed with the ball in his hands, where he can't do much in the way of yards after the catch. Tight coverage tends to overwhelm him too. The Rams didn't play him in the slot much, but he might be alright in that role as just a guy who can catch a ball for a simple six-yard gain. With Mike Wallace and Brian Hartline getting most of the attention from opposing defensive backs, Gibson could be in the right situation as a third receiver.

No, Taylor doesn't have a burst. That's why I posted that while I like the pick I seriously doubt he can become a great player. I would have preferred to package and trade up. Granted, you need a partner.

I bet plenty of Boise State games. Often the first half, when every play is critical. Taylor has very good instincts but often when I needed an interception he couldn't close to get it. As you indicated, the gap stays the same. Even on his signature play against Osweiler in the Las Vegas Bowl, Taylor stumbled and the ball was more or less thrown to him, enabling the 100+ yard return.

ok so you see it the same way also...i think that's the one thing that he lacks that will keep him from being special...quick acceleration and the ability to close...

that quick acceleration and ability to close was terrific with vontae davis and yeremiah bell in his prime...same for reshad jones now...makes a big difference to me

walking on at UF next spring have a buddy who plays there got the inside scoop.... thinks Jenkins, Gillislee, Sturgis all great picks... thinks Jelani is a starter just not yet, Gillislee can do it all, Sturgis is CA$$$H MONEY

Still holding out some hope for Marquess Wilson...although its a pipe dream considering his off the field stuff. This FO must be pretty confident in Matthews...they better hope they are right.

now that would really be a great pick up...but it appears that kid must be off just about everyones draftable board after quitting the team...top 50 talent in camp sure would be nice...if he kept his nose clean he'd make this roster easy

Still do not understand why we failed to add weapons for tanehill aside the rb from Florida. But still as we speak a couple receivers are still out there including DARICK Rogers.

Will Davis was an absolutely atrocious pick.

Maybe the FO figured they didnt want to help Tannehill out so he can get used to throwing to WR's that can't get separation. That way it forces him to be more accurate. Weird, I know, but that's the only explanation I can come up with. Or the FO is seriously delusional if they think our WR group does not need improving.

wallace can get separation, and hartline will get seperation more with teams focusing on not letting wallace beat them deep and leaving the inside open for hartline. He's a good no.2, he wouldn't have had 1000 yards wr last year with no help from other Wrs and a rookie qb throwing to him. he's not a no1, but with wallace getting attention, hartline will look only better

I agree for the most part. Seriously bummed and mystified about how Ireland hung Tannehill out to dry. Every other GM in the NFL tried to surround their young QB with weapons ... we drafted defense in a big way.

I also like Gillislee ... but he's not a star or weapon, he's a solid role player, 3rd down back and depth. IMHO, that's the only offensive addition we made though, and it was too little too late.

I do not rate Sims highly at all, he's a blocking TE. He doesn't create much separation, he runs flat-footed and gets no verticality in the red zone despite his size, and simply isn't a great move-the-chains TE or red zone TE or seam threat TE. Looks like a All-Madden pick though with height and 40 speed masking the fact that the guy isn't much of a receiver at TE. As a blocker, he's subpar, but that's his role and all he'll really contribute. Wasted pick IMHO, probably designed to lower the pennies on the Salary Cap and appease people like me who have been clamoring for a good TE. Newsflash ... it didnt' work.

Dallas Thomas ... really? So we lose one of the better LT's in the league and want to replace him with a G that lacks quickness? Don't see that working out. My guess is that Lance Louis in free agency and Dallas Thomas now are designed to replace our guards Jerry (poor) and Incongnito (too expensive). My problem with it that Thomas doesn't look like someone that can do that. Had we drafted Brian Winters, even higher, I'd have been on board. Had we selected the small school LT prospect Terron Armstead who went a few picks earlier, I'd have been on board with that as well. But this was a bad pick.

My biggest problem with the Will Davis pick was that we already had Grimes and already drafted Taylor, and used two picks to get the pass rusher Jordan, so was a 3rd CB really worth packaging more picks together to trade up for? We made a clear statement that Tannehill was getting nothing. It really seems that Ireland is incapable of building an offense.

Hey, if our offense was strong and a cohesive veteran unit I'd be fine. If our defense was horrible, I'd be fine. If this was a guy that was sorely needed and immediately filled a huge hole on our starting team, I'd understand that as well. But to package picks to reach for a CB that doesn't look very impressive today and only projects at best to being a 3rd CB and probably will not start ... that just screams of hiding the bodies you need to get rid of because you way overpaid for Richard Marshall and Dmitri Patterson last year. Ireland is constantly drafting then cutting then drafting to fill the cut. That kind of treading water approach makes it hard to ever get a critical mass of talent.

Ignoring the offense for a second year in a row when you FINALLY have a young franchise QB isn't wise. I can't think of many good QB's over the last 20 years that became very good but whose team failed to build around them the first two years.

Still do not understand why we failed to add weapons for tanehill aside the rb from Florida. But still as we speak a couple receivers are still out there including DARICK Rogers.

i saw an interview rogers did and he was asked what's the first thing you are gonna do once your name is called in the draft??? his answer was something a long the lines of "find a tv camera for me to pimp it in"...

right then i knew that would never happen in miami...add in all the off field red flags and this kids pretty much untouchable

now that would really be a great pick up...but it appears that kid must be off just about everyones draftable board after quitting the team...top 50 talent in camp sure would be nice...if he kept his nose clean he'd make this roster easy

He just went to the Bears.

No, Taylor doesn't have a burst. That's why I posted that while I like the pick I seriously doubt he can become a great player. I would have preferred to package and trade up. Granted, you need a partner.

I bet plenty of Boise State games. Often the first half, when every play is critical. Taylor has very good instincts but often when I needed an interception he couldn't close to get it. As you indicated, the gap stays the same. Even on his signature play against Osweiler in the Las Vegas Bowl, Taylor stumbled and the ball was more or less thrown to him, enabling the 100+ yard return.

i thought one of his strengths that i read from scouts and reports here was that he had good recovery speed. Just because it doesn't seem that way to you doesn't mean its true. Not saying the scouts are right and your wrong, but when reports say recovery speed is good and you say no, then it seems a matter of the viewers perspective thant truth. Whereas, you see say lack of recovery speed and scouts do too for a player, then more than likely that player is lacking in that dept. i gotta look back on his scouting report posted here and elsewhere to make sure.

Gotta agree with the sentiment here. To have all of these picks and walk away with what we walked away with, it makes me sick. Our receiving core is not particularly good, not sure why we traded Bess. I guess back to free agency to search for a TON of acorns.

I agree for the most part. Seriously bummed and mystified about how Ireland hung Tannehill out to dry. Every other GM in the NFL tried to surround their young QB with weapons ... we drafted defense in a big way.

I also like Gillislee ... but he's not a star or weapon, he's a solid role player, 3rd down back and depth. IMHO, that's the only offensive addition we made though, and it was too little too late.

I do not rate Sims highly at all, he's a blocking TE. He doesn't create much separation, he runs flat-footed and gets no verticality in the red zone despite his size, and simply isn't a great move-the-chains TE or red zone TE or seam threat TE. Looks like a All-Madden pick though with height and 40 speed masking the fact that the guy isn't much of a receiver at TE. As a blocker, he's subpar, but that's his role and all he'll really contribute. Wasted pick IMHO, probably designed to lower the pennies on the Salary Cap and appease people like me who have been clamoring for a good TE. Newsflash ... it didnt' work.

Dallas Thomas ... really? So we lose one of the better LT's in the league and want to replace him with a G that lacks quickness? Don't see that working out. My guess is that Lance Louis in free agency and Dallas Thomas now are designed to replace our guards Jerry (poor) and Incongnito (too expensive). My problem with it that Thomas doesn't look like someone that can do that. Had we drafted Brian Winters, even higher, I'd have been on board. Had we selected the small school LT prospect Terron Armstead who went a few picks earlier, I'd have been on board with that as well. But this was a bad pick.

My biggest problem with the Will Davis pick was that we already had Grimes and already drafted Taylor, and used two picks to get the pass rusher Jordan, so was a 3rd CB really worth packaging more picks together to trade up for? We made a clear statement that Tannehill was getting nothing. It really seems that Ireland is incapable of building an offense.

Hey, if our offense was strong and a cohesive veteran unit I'd be fine. If our defense was horrible, I'd be fine. If this was a guy that was sorely needed and immediately filled a huge hole on our starting team, I'd understand that as well. But to package picks to reach for a CB that doesn't look very impressive today and only projects at best to being a 3rd CB and probably will not start ... that just screams of hiding the bodies you need to get rid of because you way overpaid for Richard Marshall and Dmitri Patterson last year. Ireland is constantly drafting then cutting then drafting to fill the cut. That kind of treading water approach makes it hard to ever get a critical mass of talent.

Ignoring the offense for a second year in a row when you FINALLY have a young franchise QB isn't wise. I can't think of many good QB's over the last 20 years that became very good but whose team failed to build around them the first two years.

all well said but you had to know that they couldn't ignore the in line blocking te given what they had in house at the position in day 3...so yeah there's a bit of a must have so i'm taking this guy now thing there...don't watch sims tape...he's painfully slow on it...but he also looks like he's about 280 on it...no burst whatsoever...i think it would be good for us if he reported to camp at 260...but you're still not gonna get much of a seam guy either way...

i hear ya on the o...at pick #56 i was jumping up and down to get keenan allen in the 4th i was like god dang get quinton patton...do something dammit...it was useless...

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

He just went to the Bears.

figures...only thing that will keep that kid from being a damn good pro is himself...poor mans aj green

fins are probably gonna trade for a tackle and gislee is gonna be a starter. He doesn';t have to be great. If hes good, hell be great with miller. many teams have backs splitting carries theses days, very few workhorse rbs as it wears rbs down and shortens their career. and yes he's a weapon, they said hes a good catcher and receiving runninback and no it's not just a 3rd down back. i think hell be the main back and win out. Don't you get it, a lot of these back always don't have some wow factor to them, but they have vision and quickness which is underrated to speed and they are good backs. There have been quite a bit of backs that didn't wow with speed or other measurables, who fall down in draft and became good runninbacks. this guy will be legit and help miamis ground game. i understand the davis pick and dallas one..but holy nitpicker..jesus

all well said but you had to know that they couldn't ignore the in line blocking te given what they had in house at the position in day 3...so yeah there's a bit of a must have so i'm taking this guy now thing there...don't watch sims tape...he's painfully slow on it...but he also looks like he's about 280 on it...no burst whatsoever...i think it would be good for us if he reported to camp at 260...but you're still not gonna get much of a seam guy either way...

i hear ya on the o...at pick #56 i was jumping up and down to get keenan allen in the 4th i was like god dang get quinton patton...do something dammit...it was useless...

My biggest problem was they traded up for Will Davis but wouldn't jump SD to take Keenan Allen..... Mark it down FH will be bitching about that for years

I told u guys we won't draft a WR. Where is my free VIP membership! I had bets on this site regarding this.
Davis to me is the worst tackling DB in the draft almost and after 15 yard route he's 90% guaranteeing u that he will be grtting toast by about 2-5 yards. And usually he gets a PI when this happens. Completely hate the pick. Only thin I like about him is when he is tight on coverage he tends to get his hands on the ball or deflect the ball. Outside of that he gets burned deep more than Smoth did all 4 yeara.

Back
Top Bottom