hoops scoops...dolphins bengals... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...dolphins bengals...

hoops

Tua time!
Reaction score
i thought the team came out lethargic today early on...like they needed some damn smelling salts or something...on d i saw a lot of missed tackles early on...but they righted the ship in the red zone and in the scoring areas and forced the bengals to kick some field goals in some short field opportunities that we may not have been able to overcome early...

plays like marcus thigpen on a punt return for some damn reason letting the ball bounce in front of him that he should have run up on and fair caught so that you don't have to worry about exactly what happened...one of your blockers on the play having the punt shank off them...that's on marcus thigpen...and i have to say i've seen evidence on punt returns of timidness in his game as far as catching the ball too much...we give up hidden yards that way...

miami overcame some poor damn officiating today...from the constant bad spots of the ball to the aj green fumble ball completely away from his body to him cradling it with his forearm and and shoulder pad as it goes to ground ruled knee down after replay...really nfl that's considered control and possession??? yeesh... i could see that call if it never got away from green but to lose the ball completely and then as going to ground call possession again while being tackled when the ball as you hit the ground scurries away seems like bunk to me...i saw some home cooking...

you know what though fellas calls and spots like we had today they beat bad football teams on the road...they are the momentum swings and plays that beat you...bad teams and poorly coached teams shell up and go into the fetal position and never recover...and this team overcame them...way to go

nice to see kevin coyle learn from last week when he got too conservative late and let the damn cards and kolb march down the field...we played not to lose last week late in the game today we played aggressive and maintained that mindset to the fateful int on a force throw against 2 deep...go with what got you there...

ehhh carpenter again with a momentum changing potential gamechanging miss fg...i was screaming at the damn tv just punt the damn ball and make them go 90 yards instead we give up a short field and it never fails on momentum swings a td to get the game within a score...anything over 50 unless it's a game winner i'm of the mindset just punt the damn ball...my faith is gone in carp...

ryan tannehill yet another week of really sound decision making with the ball in the passing game...and some big throws for chunk yardage that this offense needs...is it me or does this kid pull of 20 yard chunk plays routinely??? how bout the seam throw to clay against pressure where he fitted the ball in between three defenders down the field...or the middle route to hartline over the drop zone lbs and waiting for hartline to clear the lbs before releasing a strike on the front shoulder for a 20 yard gain...that's damn good stuff...let's not forget the feel for pressure and stepping up on the scramble to the right just prior to crossing the los eyes always downfield on the hoof to bess for another big 3rd down conversion into the red zone...another good thing the bengals planned to take bess out and instead of forcing things he went with his reads...the reads presnap reads i mean man this kid is on the ball

which leads me to charles clay...you're killing me...from the perfect seam route drop against the perfect coverage where tannehill hit you square in the hands and if you haul it in you got another 20 yards maybe before freaking contact to the i have zero awareness of situational football after the 2 minute drill on the bootleg catch where the last damn thing you want to do is stop the damn clock you run out of bounds as if it was your full intention 2 yards short...and we wonder why the staff doesn't trust this guy??? perfect example of why...you got to catch that ball and cut the ball back inside or at least go down before going out of bounds....duh

reggie bush...oh reggie...if the play is designed off tackle or wide i see some nice patience to let things develop and then some quick acceleration and burst...perfect example the 13 yard td run where you let your blocking develop and waited for the lane to show...but dammit all if the plays designed to go between the tackles there is way too much indecisiveness and east and west in your game...and it's been showing for weeks now...you're reverting to old form...i see a different player than the one i saw week 1 when it comes to between the tackles...if was so annoying in the first half that i said to myself in the 2nd half i'd bench reggie and give lamar miller his run...and late in the damn game nursing a lead reggie for gods sakes get north and damn south...you dicking around back there does us no favors...

and mike sherman come on mike...start dialing up some plays to take advantage of these lbs in coverage against our backs...specifically bush and miller if he ever plays...there's so much meat on the bone there it's not funny...

seeing some nice development on jonathon martins game specifically in pass pro...making strides the last 3 weeks...first two weeks i thought he was dicey but he's developing nicely...it's big for us and he's stepping his game up...

on defense hey sean smith that's a tough cover aj green and you are playing some good damn football...longest catch of the day for green you were in perfect position down the field they just banged us for a back shoulder and that's pretty much indefensible...i saw a lot of 2 deep which helped keep green from getting where he's most dangerous and that is vertical over the top but sean smiths playing some high end football this season...even the td he gave up that's more about perfect placement of a throw over the outside shoulder than poor technique...just a hats off to the offense for executing a perfect play pretty much...

nolan carroll that's some pretty darn solid football for a first game starter...i see you trusting those tools more this year...even put your foot in the ground and drove on a football showing nice route and coverage awareness where if the balls not high you got a shot at a pick 6...carrolls developing nicely...much more comfident football player...yeah coyle didn't ask you to cover green at all as i recall and thats a smart thing but you held a decent wr in armon binns in check...need to shore up a few things in tackling but i think the future is bright with nolan carroll...

jimmy wilson props to you also that's a tough coverage draw with quick as a hiccup ahmad hawkins with two way goes in man to man...looked to me like the bengals wanted to go after you with some iso routes in the middle of the field clearing things out underneath and in the red zone and you held up well...also looked like you took away some of that cushion off the los that has beaten you with quick inside routes prior in the red...played more physical and didn't let the opposition get into their routes to much off the los...i kid you fellas not that hawkins kid is a tough cover and wilson played him strong today...especially considering all that muscle he put on in the offseason to play safety...nice job

reshad jones continues to show that he's a keeper at safety...the ball skills are there...the angles to the ball are better...the physicality is as good as it comes at the position...he's an enforcer and now he's making plays in the passing game...love that kid

so far we've been pretty lucky on the injury front...all hands on deck...and that's big for us cause we have some positions where any injury at all and we are in big trouble...but the qb makes some plays and doesn't make the mistakes that beat you...this team competes on every snap and is gonna make you earn it and frankly todays the kind of road win that teams on the up thrive on...i expect this team to handle the rams at home and go into the bye week on a high note...and i expect this team to come out of the bye with momentum and knowing that if we take care of the ball and play our game each week we will be in it...this teams on the rise fellas...a couple plays here or there and we are 4-1...yeah we are 2-3 but you can just feel it...good times are around the corner...enjoy the ride...

Last edited by a moderator:
best i've ever felt with a losing record. I don't think we stay below .500 for long and even if we do, I don't think it lasts into next year.

Great post, though I think Reggie deserves some slack he is still playing well even though the injury is clearly hurting him. You could tell some of his usual burst was missing today but he still managed to put in a good performance and bagged a key td. I thought Thomas had a decent game as well. The Bengals had a strong rush d and even if the numbers dont show it I thought our backs did well.

if reggies so hurt play lamar miller...reggies not cutting it inside right now...he's leaving yards on the field bouncing things outside...unfortunately for us daniel thomas guys get under his pads too much and blow him up...that guys gonna have a short career fellas...he's gonna end up with scrambled eggs...it's bad for us cause we don't have a big body win back in short yardage and to melt the clock with...

Even when he isnt 100% Bush is still a better back than Miller. Though I do agree Thomas will have serious long term issues if he keeps getting hurt like this.

i want a one cut and north and south back between the tackles...not a guy looking to hit a homerun on every carry...we need to stay ahead of the sticks as much as possible to take heat of tannehill and this passing game...instead of a 2 yard loss take a 3 yard gain...pick a hole and get north and south...

lamar miller limited exposure in the regular season admittedly and if he comes in and dances i'd sit him also...but he's got an element to his game that we need...great balance great great acceleration and nice lateral agility...and if bush is dinged up bush is not that much better an option than miller to me...provided miller knows the checks at the los...

Hoops scoops..... much better name for your posts.

your weekly analysis is so interesting and good to read, thank you!!!

I think Randy Starks deserve a mention for his beautiful int, what a reflex!!!

and RT is continuing to grow.... I am trying to not go crazy with expectations about him, but it's tough

What would you do when Marshall returns. Would u keep Nolan on the outside and look to move Marshall in the slot or even a move to FS?

+
What would you do when Marshall returns. Would u keep Nolan on the outside and look to move Marshall in the slot or even a move to FS?

that's a tough call cause i don't know that jimmy wilsons ready to man slot on an every down basis...ideally i'd go with smith and carroll on the boundary and marshall at safety opposite jones with wilson on the inside in the nickle but i have to see more from wilson before i'm comfortable with that...i think carrolls showing that he can start on the boundary in this league pretty soon here...although he's gonna face better wrs than armon binns down the road if he does...

carroll and wilson might need a bit more seasoning...but yesterday was very encouraging...cornerback may not be quite the need many of us thought it was after the vontae trade...rj sanford limited looks but he didn't make a fool of himself when he replaced carroll for a spell...cinci didn't really go after him either though which was a bit surprising...

Great stuff...

I like Carroll better at starting corner. He just has a better burst. Marshall should be a FS. He's physical and and a sure tackler. His hands and hips are way better than Clemons. But I suspect that ship has sailed this season because I am not aware of Marshall getting any work at FS. I am sure he needs some transition time although he has played FS in the past.

Coyle and the assistant DB coach they got from Purdue (Lou Amunaro sp??) have done a heck of a job. I mean Reshad Jones and Sean Smith are playing at a pro bowl level. Don't sleep on Amunaro. He did a nice job at Purdue. By the way, Purdue had a good Corner from Florida last year. I haven't followed up on him lately, but I want to see where he is, because he could be someone on Miami's radar come April due to the connection.

Another note. We are getting a glimpse of what Sherman can do with a flex TE in the seam. Play designs are good, but Clay is just an idiot. He had two drops again yesterday and we are talking about chunk plays. Plus the moronic run out of bounds late. His stupidity out there tells you all you need to know about Egnew because if Egnew was showing anything whatsoever, he'd be out there. Cuz Clay isn't earning jack squat. Having said that, when we get a seam busting TE, watch out. You can see that Sherman is salivating at getting one in here.

Great read, thanks for the analysis and bang on what I saw with my uneducated eyes. Can I ask what you guys thought of Tannehill's audibles, it appeared that against 8 man fronts he was audibling for a run, thought it seemed a bit odd.

You guys had a great game. That one corner you got who was subbing for the starter.... I'm thinking it was Nolan Carrol (?) dude looks like a stud. Anyway.... where is my crow to eat? As a Bengals fan I greatly underestimated your team and overestimated ours.

Back
Top Bottom