hoops scoops...jags miami | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...jags miami

hoops

Tua time!
Reaction score
First team d was dominant...we would have killed that team with our 1 defense over 60 minutes...looked exactly how we should look against the jags...

cam wake ate up # 2 pick Luke joeckel jared odrick was a menace on the inside Paul solia stood up blockers at the Los...

The #1 oline particularly the right side had issues in pass pro...josh samuda lost early a couple times for quick pressure on tannehill and Tyson Clabo had some things he needed to shore up...samuda at right guard particularly needs to be better no way around it...

Tannehill looked a little skittish I need more but I thought he maneuvered some quick pressure in his face pretty well...he has a heavy tendency though to bail to the right and even when he doesn't need to I would like to see him stand in more and not cut off half the field...missed a few throws also that the placement needs to be better...

Jon martins man was credited with a sack Andre branch who stinks by the way but that was all about tannehill stepping up to that side long after the ball should have been gone in most any setting and running right into branch...I thought Martin did fine looked solid in fact...but it is jax front and they don't have much...

saw a running play in short yardage that was doomed from the get go...Charles clay in line on a de will never work if you plan on running the ball inside to the right side...I hope that was just testing the waters cause it won't work...you can't ask clay or Keller to handle a de in the run game solo or pass pro...kinda surprised sims wasn't in there...

speaking of sims I liked what I saw in line he's becoming a dependable blocker...soft hands showed too on the catch he should have walked into the end zone on but fell down...that was a perfect play call for that defense a gimme td by formation...

chad bumphis on punt return...lets hope that was a one and done...the guy doesn't have the burst and explosion to make hay back there and I seriously doubt he has davon bess hands...just not dynamic enough a returner...I didn't see bump anywhere in the 2 deep wr sets either although I think that was more about giving some other guys some looks and feeling like they know what bump is a a slot receiver...I hope it was...

sure appears to me Bryan tyms hass raised his standing on the depth chart...I like it...he has speed and burst...Miami may have a tough decision there...can they cut him and p squad him and develop him or will someone scoop him up...if we keep 6 I think he's got a hell of a shot...and I think he is ahead of mcnutt already...

Michael egnew its like night and day how much better in line he is as a blocker this year than last...I'm shocked frankly...he looks like a roster worthy tight end in line...never thought I would say that...right now that kid belongs on the roster...I'd like to see some good red zone work as a receiver...he still doesn't separate vs coverage though...

Jonas gray looks like he's gonna be the goal line back and I like it...I think he is not viewed as much more than that...

mike gillislee ehhh...he is shifty but he runs with no power...ball looks a little loose to me too when he carries it but it may just be his running style that I don't much like...

Nolan Carroll is frustrating...his tools are too good to just give away the inside against a raw wr like ace sanders on a 3rd and long...play like you run a 4.4 cause you do...

Will Davis I get why he's getting so much slot run...you can hide that lack of long speed more in the slot but what you can't hide in there is the kid loses physically all over the place and he's a poor tackler...even when he's in position on the inside he gets discarded he's not physical or strong enough...he's a finesse corner that can't tackle...on specials don't put him on coverage teams he won't tackle...I think this for me is becoming more hype than substance...he may make a few plays but he's gonna give up a bunch...

Dion Jordan didn't get any run with the 1s even on 3rd downs...hell I only saw him in on 5 plays...what little I did get to see I liked...i think it was more about getting a look at Olivier Vernon...

Matt Moore with another Matt Moore special...that int was brutal...db ran the route better than the wr and squatted...that's just brutal...you can't throw that ball...looked like something you'd see from a rookie not a seasoned vet...

Rj Sanford was in the first team coverage teams and it looked like the 2 deep boundary cb play...may be a surprise 53 man roster guy...then again he may just be holding jamar Taylor's spot...

Trusnick looks like the best of the lb depth but that's not saying much...our depth backers overran things all over the place...there is nothing here...problem with trusnick is if he does play he will wear a target...guys are late all over the place at lb...easily worst depth position on the roster...well that and left tackle where there is no option...

I don't talk About kickers but 58 yards down the pipe by sturgis...damn kid...check that cat for peds...

Kheeston Randall and Derrick Shelby have made this roster...the guy I think is on the bubble is Vaughn Martin...his versatility could win out but it wouldn't surprise me if he was let go at final cuts...

I felt more comfortable with Kelci McCray but he wasn't tested...I do know that jimmy Wilson needs to tackle better...missed too many these first 2 games...

mike Wallace just glides...I swear watching him you would think he's just going 75 percent...it's just so effortless...he ran a double move on the boundary where whene he geared down the db was 3 yards in front of him when he came out of it he was 3 yards in front but tanny had already stepped up and was focused on Gibson in the soft middle of the field...the kind of thing as an oc you see up top and say next time we get single high we going to it...pressure from the right though forced tanny to step up and not see it...

I'm glad Miami didn't draft any gimmick players like denard Robinson...rb??? Ha ha...I guess slot was not an option...good luck with that wildcat and gimmick player bs jax...

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sold on Wheeler yet.. But all the starting LB's look very active. Misi looks like a total different player than he was as a rookie

I saw an interesting 3rd down set where wheeler and ellerbe were on the field as backers ellerbe dropped and wheeler essentially sacrificed himself in the gap as a blitzer to help get others free but almost got home himself...coyle has so many options...if we get teams in long downs and distances they are in deep chit...and you just know he has packages for dion Jordan he can't wait to unleash...we will give olines fits trying to figure out who is coming and who is dropping etc...gonna be some clean pressure looks to the qb...

Not sold on Wheeler yet.. But all the starting LB's look very active. Misi looks like a total different player than he was as a rookie

i think wheeler has looked pretty good. he got burnt in the dallas game, and had a miss tackle but has been very good since. love the speed of the backers now. dansby and burnet were slow. now we just need some depth at backer

Hoops what's with the backup LB's lack of talent or they just not making plays for other reasons?

Hoops what's with the backup LB's lack of talent or they just not making plays for other reasons?

man its a lack of talent. spitler is down right awful, and seems afraid of contact. how he has made the team for four year is beyond me. I don't care if he has been ok on st he is awful. if Ellerbe goes down and misi cant play middle we are in trouble

No instincts...you got some athletes and you got marginal athletes...but what you really got is no instincts for the position...you can't teach em either...

You got nothing...jelani Jenkins will make a career as a special teamer and fighting his way on the 53 guy...there's no diamonds in the rough here

was a bit disappointed samuda got blown up a few times , was hoping he would come in and be the man , maybe down the line , was also wondering why garner didnt get the shot before him ,
i see in camp yesterday his with the 1st team now and samuda back as 2nd string center !, not sure garner is a 16 game starter tho ,above average run blocker ,bit suspect in pass protection ,

have to see i guess, for all jerry`s problems its bizarre that some of us are desperate for him to return!! , shows how much we are lacking !

No instincts...you got some athletes and you got marginal athletes...but what you really got is no instincts for the position...you can't teach em either...

You got nothing...jelani Jenkins will make a career as a special teamer and fighting his way on the 53 guy...there's no diamonds in the rough here

at the moment i have it spitler,jenkins,freeny as my back ups ,not saying it will be just my opinion !,that is a poor group , we done a complete overhaul of starters ,but done little in finding solid back ups , please too god dont have trusnick making this team [even with his contract ext]!

hopefully we bring in a vet back up off waivers , or maybe a guy like . Thomas Howard ex coyle guy could do a job ?

or
Leroy Hill [or is he too much of a problem]

I saw an interesting 3rd down set where wheeler and ellerbe were on the field as backers ellerbe dropped and wheeler essentially sacrificed himself in the gap as a blitzer to help get others free but almost got home himself...coyle has so many options...if we get teams in long downs and distances they are in deep chit...and you just know he has packages for dion Jordan he can't wait to unleash...we will give olines fits trying to figure out who is coming and who is dropping etc...gonna be some clean pressure looks to the qb...

The defense is going to be fun to watch. Unleash the hounds of war.

Good write up Hoops :up:

In reference to Bryan Tyms, I work as a Chauffeur here in Vegas, and yesterday I had a client in my Limo from Fla., so naturally, I ask him if he is a Dolphins fan. He told me he was now that his cousin, Bryan Tims is on the team. He went on to say that Bryan is really happy to be a Dolphin, and will push himself to make it onto the 53 come Sept. This guy was like 6'6" himself, and built like a TE. We talked Dolphin football for the whole ride. Living out west, it's not often I run across many fin fans out here. Always a treat though.

Dion Jordan is the guy who caused the drop on the punt return which Freeney recovered, he flew down there and scared the living crap out of the PR.

Agree on Tyms, he and Bumphis are both making life tough for the coaches to finalise the WR roster.

LB depth, well I thought a couple of guys had a decent showing. kaddu and Freeney were much improved over the last outing, though they still don't take ideal angles to the ball. Trusnik takes great angles but just can't tackle, IMO. Kovacs had some highlight moments but damn he's small.

The guy that stood out most for me in the whole game was Julian Posey. That kid absolutely balled for his time on the field. If he keeps that showing up, he's making the 53. I'd keep him over Jimmy Wilson, who is frankly a bit of a liability.

I thought marshall looked pretty decent at cb in this game? Also did you think Pouncey looked like he struggled or was that just me?

I think Pouncey was more caught up in try to help towards the left side of the line; however, I did notice a couple of plays where it looks as if he and Samuda just got beat.

Hoops I don't see the lack of moving to the left when protection breaks down. He seemed to have his back to the left side and stepped up or to the right. Don't see this as an issue.

Back
Top Bottom