hoops scoops...jags miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hoops, Aug 11, 2013.

1. hoops

hoops exited stage left

First team d was dominant...we would have killed that team with our 1 defense over 60 minutes...looked exactly how we should look against the jags...

cam wake ate up # 2 pick Luke joeckel jared odrick was a menace on the inside Paul solia stood up blockers at the Los...

The #1 oline particularly the right side had issues in pass pro...josh samuda lost early a couple times for quick pressure on tannehill and Tyson Clabo had some things he needed to shore up...samuda at right guard particularly needs to be better no way around it...

Tannehill looked a little skittish I need more but I thought he maneuvered some quick pressure in his face pretty well...he has a heavy tendency though to bail to the right and even when he doesn't need to I would like to see him stand in more and not cut off half the field...missed a few throws also that the placement needs to be better...

Jon martins man was credited with a sack Andre branch who stinks by the way but that was all about tannehill stepping up to that side long after the ball should have been gone in most any setting and running right into branch...I thought Martin did fine looked solid in fact...but it is jax front and they don't have much...

saw a running play in short yardage that was doomed from the get go...Charles clay in line on a de will never work if you plan on running the ball inside to the right side...I hope that was just testing the waters cause it won't work...you can't ask clay or Keller to handle a de in the run game solo or pass pro...kinda surprised sims wasn't in there...

speaking of sims I liked what I saw in line he's becoming a dependable blocker...soft hands showed too on the catch he should have walked into the end zone on but fell down...that was a perfect play call for that defense a gimme td by formation...

chad bumphis on punt return...lets hope that was a one and done...the guy doesn't have the burst and explosion to make hay back there and I seriously doubt he has davon bess hands...just not dynamic enough a returner...I didn't see bump anywhere in the 2 deep wr sets either although I think that was more about giving some other guys some looks and feeling like they know what bump is a a slot receiver...I hope it was...

sure appears to me Bryan tyms hass raised his standing on the depth chart...I like it...he has speed and burst...Miami may have a tough decision there...can they cut him and p squad him and develop him or will someone scoop him up...if we keep 6 I think he's got a hell of a shot...and I think he is ahead of mcnutt already...

Michael egnew its like night and day how much better in line he is as a blocker this year than last...I'm shocked frankly...he looks like a roster worthy tight end in line...never thought I would say that...right now that kid belongs on the roster...I'd like to see some good red zone work as a receiver...he still doesn't separate vs coverage though...

Jonas gray looks like he's gonna be the goal line back and I like it...I think he is not viewed as much more than that...

mike gillislee ehhh...he is shifty but he runs with no power...ball looks a little loose to me too when he carries it but it may just be his running style that I don't much like...

Nolan Carroll is frustrating...his tools are too good to just give away the inside against a raw wr like ace sanders on a 3rd and long...play like you run a 4.4 cause you do...

Will Davis I get why he's getting so much slot run...you can hide that lack of long speed more in the slot but what you can't hide in there is the kid loses physically all over the place and he's a poor tackler...even when he's in position on the inside he gets discarded he's not physical or strong enough...he's a finesse corner that can't tackle...on specials don't put him on coverage teams he won't tackle...I think this for me is becoming more hype than substance...he may make a few plays but he's gonna give up a bunch...

Dion Jordan didn't get any run with the 1s even on 3rd downs...hell I only saw him in on 5 plays...what little I did get to see I liked...i think it was more about getting a look at Olivier Vernon...

Matt Moore with another Matt Moore special...that int was brutal...db ran the route better than the wr and squatted...that's just brutal...you can't throw that ball...looked like something you'd see from a rookie not a seasoned vet...

Rj Sanford was in the first team coverage teams and it looked like the 2 deep boundary cb play...may be a surprise 53 man roster guy...then again he may just be holding jamar Taylor's spot...

Trusnick looks like the best of the lb depth but that's not saying much...our depth backers overran things all over the place...there is nothing here...problem with trusnick is if he does play he will wear a target...guys are late all over the place at lb...easily worst depth position on the roster...well that and left tackle where there is no option...

I don't talk About kickers but 58 yards down the pipe by sturgis...damn kid...check that cat for peds...

Kheeston Randall and Derrick Shelby have made this roster...the guy I think is on the bubble is Vaughn Martin...his versatility could win out but it wouldn't surprise me if he was let go at final cuts...

I felt more comfortable with Kelci McCray but he wasn't tested...I do know that jimmy Wilson needs to tackle better...missed too many these first 2 games...

mike Wallace just glides...I swear watching him you would think he's just going 75 percent...it's just so effortless...he ran a double move on the boundary where whene he geared down the db was 3 yards in front of him when he came out of it he was 3 yards in front but tanny had already stepped up and was focused on Gibson in the soft middle of the field...the kind of thing as an oc you see up top and say next time we get single high we going to it...pressure from the right though forced tanny to step up and not see it...

I'm glad Miami didn't draft any gimmick players like denard Robinson...rb??? Ha ha...I guess slot was not an option...good luck with that wildcat and gimmick player bs jax...

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013
  2. Phindog

Phindog A True Fan

I love we ate up that wild-cat play and spit it out!!

3. cafinfan408

cafinfan408 Punching Bag

Not sold on Wheeler yet.. But all the starting LB's look very active. Misi looks like a total different player than he was as a rookie

4. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I saw an interesting 3rd down set where wheeler and ellerbe were on the field as backers ellerbe dropped and wheeler essentially sacrificed himself in the gap as a blitzer to help get others free but almost got home himself...coyle has so many options...if we get teams in long downs and distances they are in deep chit...and you just know he has packages for dion Jordan he can't wait to unleash...we will give olines fits trying to figure out who is coming and who is dropping etc...gonna be some clean pressure looks to the qb...

5. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

i think wheeler has looked pretty good. he got burnt in the dallas game, and had a miss tackle but has been very good since. love the speed of the backers now. dansby and burnet were slow. now we just need some depth at backer

6. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Hoops what's with the backup LB's lack of talent or they just not making plays for other reasons?

7. sinPHIN

sinPHIN A True Fan

man its a lack of talent. spitler is down right awful, and seems afraid of contact. how he has made the team for four year is beyond me. I don't care if he has been ok on st he is awful. if Ellerbe goes down and misi cant play middle we are in trouble

8. hoops

hoops exited stage left

No instincts...you got some athletes and you got marginal athletes...but what you really got is no instincts for the position...you can't teach em either...

You got nothing...jelani Jenkins will make a career as a special teamer and fighting his way on the 53 guy...there's no diamonds in the rough here

9. moley

moley Well-Known Member

was a bit disappointed samuda got blown up a few times , was hoping he would come in and be the man , maybe down the line , was also wondering why garner didnt get the shot before him ,
    i see in camp yesterday his with the 1st team now and samuda back as 2nd string center !, not sure garner is a 16 game starter tho ,above average run blocker ,bit suspect in pass protection ,

have to see i guess, for all jerry`s problems its bizarre that some of us are desperate for him to return!! , shows how much we are lacking !

10. moley

moley Well-Known Member

at the moment i have it spitler,jenkins,freeny as my back ups ,not saying it will be just my opinion !,that is a poor group , we done a complete overhaul of starters ,but done little in finding solid back ups , please too god dont have trusnick making this team [even with his contract ext]!

hopefully we bring in a vet back up off waivers , or maybe a guy like . Thomas Howard ex coyle guy could do a job ?

or
    Leroy Hill [or is he too much of a problem]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
  11. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

The defense is going to be fun to watch. Unleash the hounds of war.

Good write up Hoops :up:

12. LVphinfan

LVphinfan Well-Known Member

In reference to Bryan Tyms, I work as a Chauffeur here in Vegas, and yesterday I had a client in my Limo from Fla., so naturally, I ask him if he is a Dolphins fan. He told me he was now that his cousin, Bryan Tims is on the team. He went on to say that Bryan is really happy to be a Dolphin, and will push himself to make it onto the 53 come Sept. This guy was like 6'6" himself, and built like a TE. We talked Dolphin football for the whole ride. Living out west, it's not often I run across many fin fans out here. Always a treat though.

13. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Dion Jordan is the guy who caused the drop on the punt return which Freeney recovered, he flew down there and scared the living crap out of the PR.

Agree on Tyms, he and Bumphis are both making life tough for the coaches to finalise the WR roster.

LB depth, well I thought a couple of guys had a decent showing. kaddu and Freeney were much improved over the last outing, though they still don't take ideal angles to the ball. Trusnik takes great angles but just can't tackle, IMO. Kovacs had some highlight moments but damn he's small.

The guy that stood out most for me in the whole game was Julian Posey. That kid absolutely balled for his time on the field. If he keeps that showing up, he's making the 53. I'd keep him over Jimmy Wilson, who is frankly a bit of a liability.

14. uk_dolfan

uk_dolfan Founder of the FH Adam Gase fan club Moderator Finheaven VIP

I thought marshall looked pretty decent at cb in this game? Also did you think Pouncey looked like he struggled or was that just me?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2013
  15. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 TANNERECTION!!!! Donator

I think Pouncey was more caught up in try to help towards the left side of the line; however, I did notice a couple of plays where it looks as if he and Samuda just got beat.

Hoops I don't see the lack of moving to the left when protection breaks down. He seemed to have his back to the left side and stepped up or to the right. Don't see this as an issue.

16. hoops

hoops exited stage left

posey is way down the depth chart...he played against 3's for the most part from what i saw...

as for tannehill and bailing he's naturally gonna bail to his strong side the right side and i get that but i think he also bails sometimes when he doesn't need to...like he feels phantom pressure from the backside...may just be that the clock goes off in his head though...small stuff...if he wasn't such a great thrower on the run i would probably dislike it more...but again just a small thing that i see...a tendency to bail the pocket when he doesn't need to and eliminate half the field...

moley i don't know what to think about the lb depth from a who will make it stand point...i don't think any of em should frankly as far as actual lbs...but if i had to guess i'd say trusnick and spitler are the lead dogs and jenkins will make it as a specials guy...there's not 6 lbs though worth a roster spot by any means...

i wouldn't be surprised if kaddu was let go in the first wave of cuts...highsmith and clay are doomed though for sure

i didn't really see anything with pouncey that i didn't like...he tried to help out samuda on one pressure as a combo block but samuda was beaten so cleanly and early that he was at a serious disadvantage when he turned even to engage...more a function of issues elsewhere imo than pouncey not showing awareness etc...i'm not concerned about the center in the slightest

17. Fin Thirteen

Fin Thirteen FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Yeah, Posey ran with the twos and threes, but he was everywhere.

18. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Well done Hoops. Thoughts on EllerBEAST, and who can return punts other than Thigpen, seems like we don't want him doing that.

19. hoops

hoops exited stage left

looks like trusnick is still getting run with the 1's over koa misi at solb...saw that in the jags game also...i hope its just to try and light a fire under misi...

20. moley

moley Well-Known Member

slightly off the topic i dont think lane makes the team ,i like to see a bit more of the rodriguez guy !

21. roy_miami

roy_miami 2020 cant get here soon enough Donator

In a preseason game like this is it possible the coaches tell him to not help a certain guard so they can evaluate him better or am I totally out to lunch with this type of thinking?

22. hoops

hoops exited stage left

rodriguez definitely offers more as a pass receiving option than i expected but he's not much of a lead blocker...but it's also not like javorskie lane is the greatest lead blocking fb either...

i think what omar said today actually made sense in that lane right now is your kick returner lead blocker lined up in front of the returner on the first team kick return unit...til we see him come off of that i think he's still in good standing...he lined up that way in practice today as well as the jags game...

23. moley

moley Well-Known Member

wow the day we keep a guy for lead blocking on special teams is shocking lol , and the day omar talk sense double wow lol

nah seriously i hadnt picked that up about the special teams part !!! ,

24. hoops

hoops exited stage left

well i think it makes sense that if lane was not in the plans someone else would be taking those lead blocking snaps on specials to see how they look...and right now no one is...you got to put someone back there so if he keeps getting those reps i kinda wonder if he is gonna be cut...

even though i don't see enough value in a lead fb in this offense...or a true fb for that matter

25. uk_dolfan

The reason for egnews remarkable improvement in blocking is pretty simple, this time in last he didn't even know what a block looked like, he had never been asked to do it before, he has now been taught to do it and it is a non issue.

Im not sure how much of a seam threat he will be, but he still a red zone threat and has proved that in practice, we have very few red zone theats, he can be effective in that role it would be a boost.

26. hoops

hoops exited stage left

egnew while much improved in line still hasn't gotten any reps against guys who will play on sundays yet...i'd say he's a pretty distant 4th in the te depth chart...and if you still aren't separating against 3's in your routes it's hard to envision you doing much as a pass receiver...egnews physicality has kicked it up a notch he drives into lbs to try and create separation prior to his cuts etc but you still see guys contesting balls cause he doesn't separate...

it's not exactly a good mix... if he makes it i bet he's inactive barring injury...i would go to war with keller clay and sims...

27. utahphinsfan

utahphinsfan Puck Fitzburgh

Nice insight. The speed and multiple looks should really frustrate sancheez. Pressure & hits (not necessarily sacks) should cause Tommy boy some sleepless nights.

28. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i forgot to mention dmitri patterson yesterday...i thought he looked good in the reps he got...had a nice jam the wr off the line and even though he kinda slipped on the incut the jam was so good he was able to recover and make a play on the ball for an incompletion...really raw wr though he was facing...kinda thing nolan carroll should be doing to guys at that level...

richard marshall just looks stiff to me...but it appears he's locking his way into a top 3 corner job right now at least...

29. finfan54

finfan54 A True Fan Donator

Trusnik calls/runs the defense when in with scrubs. He also made two stuff tackles. check the tape. Trusnik underrated. He looks worse when in with scrubs, when in with 1st team/partial starters he makes plays.

Freeney starting to make some noise. He also pumped up a bit. He is looking more LB than pass rush specialist as was advertised coming in last year.

Misi looks lost when setting the edge these past two games. not quite making it outside to get tackle.

Thinking Jordan is going to be LB half the time this year. They are also hiding him IMO. Injured? Did he look injured to anyone when he laid that hit on the wildcat? Did he look injured walking the sideline high-fivin guys? Not to me. but what the hell do I know?

30. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

do you think lead blocker on kickoffs is a big enough contribution to warrant a roster spot? personally, i'm not sure the kick returner himself is a big enough contribution to be kept solely for the purpose of special teams. i like kick returners who can contribute another way as well. needless to say, i'd like to see the lead blocker on kickoffs to have another role, too.

31. hoops

hoops exited stage left

no i don't...but wouldn't you think someone would be getting those reps in camp and the preseason instead??? at some point someone else would be back there in his place...we haven't seen it yet...the longer he goes back there the more likely i think he's on the 53...do i think it's worth it though??? no...i don't think this offense needs a lead fullback or true fullback either...we got options with keller and clay that are more dynamic...and you got what looks like is the making of a good single back short yardage and goalline option battering ram in jonas gray...

32. greasyObnoxious

greasyObnoxious I love lamp Finheaven VIP Donator

fair point. i'm not sure what level of expertise it takes to be a lead blocker on special teams, but we could have at least tried someone else. in the end, that still wouldn't make me keep Lane over another player that could help us out more.

33. hoops

hoops exited stage left

taking another look now just keying the oline pouncey looks very good to me...so damn athletic...the issues are on the right side...clabo gets beat on a stunt where he needs to pick up the coming around dt that should be an easy pick up considering how seasoned a vet he is and he misses some things in the run game at the los that frankly as a right tackle he needs to get to and sustain better contact...right tackle and right guard

tannehill leaves the pocket a clean pocket at that on the td throw to keller for really no reason...i just think he's too skittish...stand in and deliver...he throws a ball in the flat to keller where the coverage down the field probably dictates the check down but he just bails on anything down the field very early when he has keller in the flat anytime he wants it and worse is back pedaling after his drop for no reason with no one within 5 yards of him defender wise...stand in the pocket set your feet and fire...i don't know if all that pressure in camp we kept hearing about has gotten in his head or what but he's getting happy feet when he doesn't need to...

samuda got pulled after the quick pressure from the right guard dt dump off to miller...staff not happy with his work to that point in pass pro...can't say i blame em...garner the replacement

34. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i think i might be seeing a guy that is in for some reps with the 2's in the next preseason game at left tackle in will yeatman...he looks very good in this jags game...very athletic moves very well...problem is though all his reps come against the oppositions 3's...hell he doesn't get a snap til the 4th quarter...that's an athlete on the move though and his feet look pretty good...

give him a bump this week to 2nd team left tackle...it's not like we got any other options...

35. hoops

hoops exited stage left

yeatman struggled with power rush and lacked the abilty to anchor or recover when guys got under his pad level against the cowboys...got walked back into the qb mutliple times...definitely needs work there...but athletically that's a left tackle tools player all the way...serious athlete

one to watch in the texans game...

36. moley

moley Well-Known Member

why is thigpen getting so few snaps ? ,i really like bumphis as our slot wr and prob #5 wr , but i also feel when we get down to the 53 ,thigpen could do a duel role of returner and #5 wr [slot]it would save a roster place for some where else , but it would mean unfortunately bumphis wouldnt make it , harsh i know !!

37. hoops

hoops exited stage left

they know what they got in thiggy...returner and slot option wr in a pinch...personally i would keep bumphis also...those 2 guys would be on my 53

38. fininpsl

fininpsl A True Fan

Do you cut Tyms though to keep Bumphis? If Rishard Matthews is safe at WR, and they are calling Thigpen a WR for roster purposes as has been suggested, we'd have to have 6 WR on the roster just to keep one of Tyms or Bumphis. IMHO it will come down to who they think they can sneak onto the practice squad. I think either one would get poached though anyway. Both are starting to show pretty good potential. We are a world better at WR this year vs. last year. Makes me wish we had never signed Gibson, but I do think he will be a solid contributor for us.

39. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i go with 5 definite wrs mathews and bumphis being #4 and #5...i think the plan it to stash tyms on the p squad and if they hide him enough these next 3 games i think they can do it...for me at least though he's the guy i'd keep as the 6th wr if i kept 6...but he's raw enough that you may be able to stash him...for my money though tyms is one of the best 53 players out there...and the upside is there...tyms has also though been getting a lot of specials run thus far in the preseason his standing is rising for sure...it's a little dicey if you cut him no one claims him and develops him...

tyms is the only other wr in the building they have to make a decision on...

40. rev kev

rev kev THE DEFLATOR

I thought I saw Egnew line up as a FB against the Cowboys in the second half did anyone else see that?

41. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i think they also want to p squad the aj francis kid at dt and both the foreign name de's...#66 and #69...i would develop those 3 players on the p squad...the tristan kid for sure...not sure yet who i'd try to stash at db...kyle miller isn't making the 53 but he could be stashed...i bet they stash the adams kid the ot or burden one or the other...and probably brenner up front...tyms if they do cut him and keenan davis at wr...

there's your likely p squad candidates minus the dbs...

42. hoops

hoops exited stage left

yes i did see that...gave him a snap like clay or keller in the backfield in i form if i recall correctly

43. hoops

hoops exited stage left

the bubble guys they have to make tough decisions on are egnew gray yeatman tyms spitler freeny lance louis (hasn't been a full go yet) jerry vaughn martin garner rj sanford mcnutt (i can't rule it out after we kept legedu naanee last year although it should be an easy cut) javorskie lane and evan rodriguez

dallas thomas gets a red shirt year and makes the 53...jelani jenkins makes it trusnick makes it...bumphis makes it...gillislee makes it...carroll makes it...mccray makes it...jimmy wilson makes it...shelby makes it...kheeston randall makes it...mathews makes it...

44. hoops

hoops exited stage left

what i would do is keep jon jerry keep garner still undecided on yeatman i don't know if i'd want to give up on that kind of athlete potential at left tackle already and i can't p squad him...cut freeny cut spitler...undecided on sanford...cut mcnutt cut lane and rodriguez keep gray keep egnew keep vaughn martin...lance louis if he isn't full go and i mean 100 percent by the dress rehearsal preseason game i'd cut him also...a guy that doesn't suit up isn't worth anything

45. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Hoops, lot of talk about DT looking better this year (two new threads in VP devoted at least in part to him). I've still only seen the highlights of the Jags game. Do you see a different DT?

46. hoops

hoops exited stage left

different??? i don't know about that...but he's played well...i don't know how though given his running style and how upright he is he can be an effective short yardage and goalline back...i think that's jonas grays gig

what i do see though in d thomas is a guy who looks like he's the lead dog as the 2nd back to lamar miller...without question...he's not playing when he is for a trade showcase in these preseason games...he has no trade value off last year...he's always had good feet for his size...and he seems to be the preferred back in pass pro...

looks like the run away 2nd back and split carries guy with lamar miller...and if miller gets hurt the first guy to get the starting job...

i think what will happen is we keep all 4 rbs and gillislee is inactive on game day...gray active for short yardage and goalline...miller and d thomas get the rest of the work

47. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Do you see a guy who can average 4.2-4.5 (rather than 3.5) and can protect himself? His running style should be a good fit for the ZBS. It's just a matter of whether or not he sucks and whether or not he can stay healthy. I want to be optimistic about DT. If he starts playing up to his draft position (or even in that neighborhood), it'd go a long way.

48. uk_dolfan

I know its just preseason but ive been a little disappointed by gillislee, I heard so many good things when we drafted him ... Looks a bit meh to me so far

49. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I cut the two FB's, think Gray can play some there along with Clay. I put Gillislee on the practice squad, have seen nothing from him.

50. So Be

So Be A True Fan

It would not shock me if we signed a vet RB, depending on who comes available. I know that the team likes Miller and Thomas but, the concussions are a real concern. I like Gray more than I thought I would but, if we keep 4 RB's (not including Thig) I prefer someone other than Gillislee.