hoops scoops...miami indy | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...miami indy

Regarding the Clemons whiff at the interception, if you look at that play again he started his momentum to the right to run with fleener when ball was thrown to his left. Not an easy pick that's for sure so I can't blame him on that one. It wasn't like he was standing still and ball hit him in his hands.

Just a little tid-bit on the illegal shift. The flag was thrown because Reggie didn't properly set himself BEFORE the shift, not after. Was the correct call. Hats off to you fellas was an incredible game.

Regarding the Clemons whiff at the interception, if you look at that play again he started his momentum to the right to run with fleener when ball was thrown to his left. Not an easy pick that's for sure so I can't blame him on that one. It wasn't like he was standing still and ball hit him in his hands.

that's true...but to my eye he has a bad angle to fleener even after he starts sliding to the right...if luck has time he can wait for fleener to separate crossing clemons face and it's an easy td...as it was luck didn't want to take the sack and couldn't wait and got rid of it...

i mean we take chances to get pressure but if wheeler doesn't get there i'm betting money that's a td and we need 3 to tie...

someone else said this defense funnels the ball to the free safety a lot and i agree with that...nothing against clemons but you want to hide him in coverage as much as possible...teams will scheme to get after him if you expose him too much...a high end ballhawk and instincts safety would have a bunch of picks in this defense...

That throw to Clay in the first quarter that went for 60+ was beautiful. Threaded it in between two Indy defenders. Amazing stuff.

Didn't like the QB sneaks. Especially the fourth down and too long for a sneak. Love the way RT presnap reads but sometimes I think we give away big plays because we don't let our wideouts win matchups because the throw is predetermined. Still think we have the go coconservative not lose it mentality. But that just seems to be the way with most of the league. Because the Colts did that a little yyesterday. ****ing hate this phone's need to edit and trash everything.

The 3rd and 1 pass to the FB was easily the worst play of the game by Tannehill. If I were rating it by PFF standards, I'd give it a -2. Not a lot of pressure; Wallace was wide open; and even if the FB catches the pass, he's going to be tackled short. Horrendous play.

exactly...that play had no shot by the coverage come off of it to your 2nd read...

Just a little tid-bit on the illegal shift. The flag was thrown because Reggie didn't properly set himself BEFORE the shift, not after. Was the correct call. Hats off to you fellas was an incredible game.

so he had to be set for a full second prior to the going in motion and he did not do that??? hmmm...ok...cause what i saw after the shift looked perfectly legal to me

we respected their deep speed a lot. we played a lot of off coverage. gave them a lot of underneath stuff for free. oh well, we made them go the long way and didn't give up the big play (with one exception). in the end it worked. no long TD's. only 2 for 4 in the red zone

hate to say it, but Tyson Clabo has been shades of Marc Colombo

it's headed that way...we may get by this year but i would not be depending on him going forward...only difference i see b/t him and colombo at the tail end is clabo hasn't had the injuries to his legs that would have had he had them already put him out of the league...unlike colombo by the time he got here...

one thing though...tannehill is setting up after his drop very deep sometimes...i don't get why he doesn't take a few steps forward to help his tackles out...some of these plays our tackles would be driving the outside rusher wide and behind tannehill but not if he doesn't step up...

someone asked about clabo as a run blocker...he looks like just a guy...very limited athletically movement wise laterally...i think miami is in the market for a tackle this offseason...and i think it's to replace clabo...it's possible will yeatman is ready next year...but i dont see how unless he plays and shows well this year they can depend on him

so he had to be set for a full second prior to the going in motion and he did not do that??? hmmm...ok...cause what i saw after the shift looked perfectly legal to me

I'm not sure if you have to bet set for a certain time or not, but his set before the shift was not proper(Looked kind of like a skip to the line then an immediate shift off of memory).

That throw to Clay in the first quarter that went for 60+ was beautiful. Threaded it in between two Indy defenders. Amazing stuff.

yeah i thought was terrific stuff too...but the alignment of the safety to the outside and the placement of the throw had me wondering...i don't really think he was throwing back shoulder the outside safety was coming from the outside...the ball didn't really hit clay on the outside...i think it was more he saw the safety and thought he had time off the alignmnt to get it to clay before the safety could get there and he was right...

anyways it was a big play...i'd be interested in hearing tannehills take on what he saw and why he threw it like he did...that safety was jumping it to the inside...

one things for sure though...the seams are open down the field cause the safeties and dcs are so worried about mike wallace beating them over the top

Reshad Jones is an overstated player who benefits tremendously from the pass rush. When it's not there and he's forced into coverage, he's going to struggle. Frankly, he was fortunate yesterday that it was only a few times. If we traded him to a team with a moderate or below average pass rush, their fans would be up in arms after a handful of games, wondering how in the world they got suckered so badly.

The good news is the pass rush was only temporarily absent. You don't get the same team every week. A road game after a road victory is a negative situational scenario, almost guaranteeing less ferocity than if we've lost to the Browns. I mentioned last week that it would be very difficult for the defense to maintain intensity level. Too many posters were ignoring the situational deficit and projecting multiple sacks and dominance from Wake and everyone else, based on how the Colts offensive line struggled against the Raiders. The talent level in the pros is tight enough for situational factors to counter apparent gaps in ability.

This week in a home opener the defense will be incredibly energized to begin the game. Now, Ryan and Co. are talented enough to slip some plays beyond us, even if we are playing at max effort. But you'll see Wake more similar to week one, and so forth.

It's the reason I like to bet first halves. I can project the intensity level to open the game but how long it will last is the wild card. Like that game hosting the Saints a few years ago when they were unbeaten. Many situational factors favored the Dolphins but the Saints managed to persevere and overcome them late, thanks to some breaks.

I still don't understand the rush to sign Reshad Jones to that extension. Even though we are 2-0, his value is no higher if not somewhat lower. And that's the way it figured to go, given our schedule. There was no reason not to sample the first 5 or 6 games against all the premier quarterbacks before approaching that contract issue. Poor poker playing instincts by Ireland.

Of course, Jones has big play capability and can make one at any time. He's overrated partially due to those plays, IMO, since we haven't had a playmaker in so long.

In the history of the franchise we've had clod unathletic types at right tackle. Clabo merely joins the club. Carey was maybe the best athlete we've had there but he was seldom in shape to display it. Giesler was a moderate athlete. Todd Wade was decent. I'll probably be waiting forever for us to find a guy at that position who can actually move and hit and pass protect. At this point the stretch plays need to go left, and the front office needs to recognize that Clabo is a one-year stop gap. But he is markedly superior to Columbo.

We have avoided the 3rd down screen passes. That has quietly gone unnoticed. Those are drive killers. The Colts actually tried one yesterday and we appropriately blew it up. But we're still too light in the decisive pegs off play action. Yesterday there was one terrific one, late third quarter near midfield when Tannehill wheeled off play action and hit a 20 yard dart over the middle into Colts territory. Those plays should be a staple of our offense, at least 5-6 times per game. Tannehill is at his best on that type of design. Plus there are countless offshoots.

I completely agree that the 3rd and 1 pass was our worst formation and play call of the game. I wanted to scream. Notice how tight the fullback and tailback were to the line of scrimmage. They were at least 2 yards closer than the norm for this era. In fact, it looked more akin to our early '70s formations.

In this day and age, when the I formation is set that tight to the line of scrimmage on a short yardage play it's a comical tipoff that the coach is pass happy and doesn't really want to run the ball but he thinks he's supposed to line up that way as a disguise. Watch South Carolina with Spurrier. They line up exactly the same way in short yardage. Of course, they got away with it with Lattimore. But it's still a ridiculous petrified design. The confident power teams line up in standard sets, with the tailback 7 yards deep.

Remember when we were dominant on 3rd or 4th and 1 not too many years ago? We abused the quick trap play with Polite. For two years I didn't have to worry about what play we'd run, or whether we'd make it. Guaranteed. The only variable was whether it would be a straight handoff or off a spin fake from the quarterback. That brief time frame was the only time I've been confident in short yardage since the late '70s. Well, for a while with Stephenson at center we ran the same type of trap play with either Andre Franklin or Woody Bennett but it wasn't as dependably used as a few years ago. Too often Marino would get cute.

These days we're so scared of short yardage we either line up in a pure shotgun or a reluctant run set. And our results have been awful. Running the ball equates to a higher percentage of success than passing on those short yardage plays but Philbin doesn't seem to have any clue. He got lazy via fantastic quarterback like Rodgers. Tannehill can't relax and scan the field on those plays like Rodgers, varying the pace and loft to fit the requirement of the evolving play. If our original design isn't there, we're stuck with a line drive incompletion.

The motion penalty on Reggie Wayne may have been legit but that doesn't mean it wasn't incredibly fortunate. Before or after going in motion he's not going to make that error 1 time in 100. I hope that wasn't an exaggeration. I don't like happy adjustments. I'm confident in 1 in 100.

The good news is the pass rush was only temporarily absent. You don't get the same team every week. A road game after a road victory is a negative situational scenario, almost guaranteeing less ferocity than if we've lost to the Browns. I mentioned last week that it would be very difficult for the defense to maintain intensity level. Too many posters were ignoring the situational deficit and projecting multiple sacks and dominance from Wake and everyone else, based on how the Colts offensive line struggled against the Raiders. The talent level in the pros is tight enough for situational factors to counter apparent gaps in ability.

This week in a home opener the defense will be incredibly energized to begin the game. Now, Ryan and Co. are talented enough to slip some plays beyond us, even if we are playing at max effort. But you'll see Wake more similar to week one, and so forth.

It's the reason I like to bet first halves. I can project the intensity level to open the game but how long it will last is the wild card. Like that game hosting the Saints a few years ago when they were unbeaten. Many situational factors favored the Dolphins but the Saints managed to persevere and overcome them late, thanks to some breaks.

I still don't understand the rush to sign Reshad Jones to that extension. Even though we are 2-0, his value is no higher if not somewhat lower. And that's the way it figured to go, given our schedule. There was no reason not to sample the first 5 or 6 games against all the premier quarterbacks before approaching that contract issue. Poor poker playing instincts by Ireland.

How often do players sign extensions at the 6 game point though?

Back
Top Bottom