hoops scoops...Miami makeover...2014 oline draft prospects targets and grades... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...Miami makeover...2014 oline draft prospects targets and grades...

hoops

Tua time!
Reaction score
The following is a compilation of my study of the 2014 NFL draft offensive line prospects that I have identified as fits in a zone scheme after some heavy in depth study…the goal was to identify primarily above average move athletes with upside and solid college tape and to fix a gaping hole in this team in 2013 and going forward barring significant almost whole scale changes…basically an offensive line makeover….I feel pretty confident that Miami will be investing in a free agent left tackle to protect the backside of the franchise…but in the event they do not and/or are looking for a swing tackle or developmental prospects etc. that is covered here as well…what you won’t find is prospects that I think are more made for a power scheme or lead footed waist benders…you will also not find guys with serious medical red flags like Boston College’s Matt Patchan for instance even though athletically he’s exactly what would fit in this offense (1.59 10 yard split) but due to the fact that 2013 was the first time in 5 years of football he has stayed healthy for a variety of reasons I have red flagged him due to medical and removed him from my board completely…can’t stay healthy in college how are you going to stay healthy in the pros??? Serious off the field red flags combined with poor tape and work ethic to boot like University of Miami’s Seantrel Henderson (1.71 10 yard split) who’s never really shown me much on tape anyways are guys that I think this team will steer away from barring catastrophic measures even though I could see a 5[SUP]th[/SUP] round grade being attached there warts and all…

John Benton wants move athletes that can get to the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]level, get their head out in front, have the lateral quickness that can overcome angles and reach the perimeter of the field…tackles that are foot athletes can play in space and on the hoof as screen blockers and as cut blockers at the los…I expect with an athletic move quarterback the wide stretch to be a staple of the offense…but the bottom line is this unit must get more athletic…Bill Lazors offense at the University of Virginia required an awful lot of on the move guard play and I have a feeling the ideal plan would be to create a unit that mirrors the Philadelphia Eagles offensive line which is as good and as athletic as you will find in the game…let’s work towards achieving that…this is a pretty deep draft at many positions…offensive line is no exception…the grades that I have attached to these prospects don’t necessarily reflect just this class but if I was grading them against any class…

with that my 2014 Miami Dolphins draft prospects offensive line targets board…

Jake Matthews offensive tackle Texas a & m…6 foot 5 1/8 308 lbs.…33 7/8 arm length…24 bench…1.70 10 yard split…best tackle prospect I have seen on tape last 2 years would have been the top tackle in the class on my board off his 2012 work had he come out…dominated everyone he matched up against at right tackle in 2012made a seamless transition to the left side in 2013 and never skipped a beat…perfect scheme fit natural bender plus feet plus kick slide outstanding balance and lateral agility is a puncher not a grabber rarely is off balance best technique in the class tested better than many may have anticipated which backed up the tape…outstanding bloodlines to boot…#1 pick in either of the last 2 classes as I see it…TOP PROSPECT in the class…if there’s one concern it might be speed off the corner but with his technique his smarts his hand placement and use and his balance he’ll adjust…

Greg Robinson offensive tackle Auburn…6 foot 5 332 lbs.…35 inch arms…32 bench…1.68 10 yard split… specimen…ridiculous athlete in a power road grading body…best run blocking tackle in the class by a mile…as a down blocker he just paves highways…effortless to the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] level and covers ground like a gazelle…jaw dropper athletically…highest upside in the class…pass protection needs work Auburns scheme didn’t provide a large body of work there needs to punch more and trust his feet and not drop his head and grab but it’s nothing more reps and coaching and work on technique can’t fix given the level move athlete this kid is…serious power with this locomotive…TOP 5 BPA

Zach Martin offensive tackle Notre Dame…6 foot 4 ¼ 308 lbs.…32 7/8 arm length…29 bench…another high end technician…rarely off balance…stout anchors well and can recover…strength in his hands…seals in the run game turns guys to the inside…plays with great leverage…quick feet with his kick slide…position versatility here a real plus…potential to be a solid starter at all 5 positions…I see it as more ticketed to right tackle or guard given the arm length but I wouldn’t rule out him being a solid left tackle …plus feet shows very good awareness…52 collegiate starts speaks to the durability…high character…best looking prospect all Senior Bowl Week…reminds me of Logan Mankins coming out but with more core and functional strength…fires thru with his hips…better and more polished prospect and with an inch and a ¼ more arm length than last year’s #21 pick to the Giants Justin Pugh who I graded out as a high 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] rounder in that class…Top 15 BPA character and locker room leadership wise I think this is exactly what Miami is looking for…

Taylor Lewan offensive tackle Michigan…6 foot 7 1/8 309 lbs.…33 7/8 arm length…29 bench…1.64 10 yard split…outstanding size and length…very good feet…good knee bend…can drop his hips…shows solid awareness has his head on a swivel…sustains blocks well with proper hand placement and able to mirror well with his feet and wash guys out…plays with a good base feet are always underneath of him…fires out of his stance very quick off the ball into his kick slide…gets to the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]level could do more damage when he gets there and has the athleticism to be an effective puller but his strength as I see it lies in how quickly he gets out of his stance his footwork and foot speed and his base in pass protection…shows nice balance rarely on the ground…doesn’t show great lateral quickness flowing down the los to get his head out in front and cut but athletic enough and cut blocks didn’t seem to be a big part of what Michigan asked him to do…can overset to the outside getting his weight on the outside leg and get beat by quickness to the inside…plays with some attitude and nastiness to him can be borderline dirty at times…not a road grader in the run game…off the field character concerns and a reported difficult personality could have him off Miami’s board completely…zone scheme left tackle all the way as I see it…48collegiate starts speaks to durability…TOP 20 BPA

Xavier Sua Filo offensive tackle UCLA…6 foot 4 1/8 307 lbs.…33 3/8 arm length…25 bench…1.75 10 yard split…will be kicked inside to left guard in the NFL…athlete…oozes athleticism…very quick to the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] level and down the los…makes solid sustained contact down the field…very effective puller…shows good lateral quickness and agility…bubble butt and lower half should allow him to anchor well…best footballs probably in front of him…ideal zone scheme fit…LATE 1[SUP]st[/SUP] ROUND…first guard off the board…[SUP] [/SUP]

Joe Bitonio offensive tackle Nevada…6 foot 4 ¼ 302 lbs.…33 7/8 arm length…22 bench…1.68 10 yard split…effective cut blocker…gets his head out in front…can let guys get into his body at times and his hand placement can be too wide getting his head into the action and be stood up or jacked as a result…needs polish with his technique and hand placement…head is really in the action a lot…competes thru the whistle…wants to win every snap…I don’t quite see the same kind of move athlete on tape that the combine showed but he’s definitely a plus athlete…good feet…lateral quickness is there…balance looks solid…meat on the bone upside wise…I have some concerns about the ability to kick inside at the pro level not sure I see the strength inside looks like maybe tackle only to me…try him at left tackle with fallback being right tackle how I see it…guard play looks like it would be a serious projection to me…the potential to play an nfl left tackle keeps the value up for me but all that head in the play could lead to concussion issues unless cleaned up…2[SUP]ND[/SUP] ROUND

Marcus Martin center USC…23 bench…6 foot 3 320 lbs.…34 arm length…best move athlete of the center prospects…stout can anchor…gets to the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] level and makes solid sustained contact…engages at the los comes off and gets to the linebacker level with ease…explosive off the snap fires off the ball…plays with good leverage and can drop and fire thru with his hips…effective hand use…zone scheme fit…good arm length…maybe not plug and play but starting NFL center I have no doubts…good feet has some pop to him…shows good awareness can overcome angles…2[SUP]ND[/SUP] ROUND

Chris Watt left guard Notre Dame…6 foot 3 310 lbs.…32 ¾ arm length…29 bench…torn pcl had him miss the bowl game senior bowl and combine on field work outs but here’s a guy on tape that of the full time left guard prospects strikes me as an underrated fit…better athlete than I think he’s given credit for…slightly shorter than ideal this kids stout anchors well and there’s strength…shows good awareness engages at the los and then comes off and gets to the linebackers in the run game…keeps his legs driving on contact…active hands…competes…plays thru the whistle…not a great athlete but not lead feet either…works well in tandem…I think he’s a starting guard in the NFL…3RD ROUND

Billy Turner offensive tackle North Dakota State…6 foot 4 7/8 315 lbs.…34 arm length…25 bench…1.75 10 yard split…good feet good athlete…from a athleticism stand point if I was going to plug a right tackle for us this would be my guy…technique needs work…fast feet with his kick slide beat the man to the spot with ease in the combine drill…flows down the los very well gets to the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] level and can run down the field…looks very good when he’s on his horse…can stop his feet in pass pro and get lazy and drop his head and reach and lean and it gets him in trouble…will drop his head when he doesn’t need to…but i think his issues are very coachable…probably not plug and play ideally he sits for a while and learns the ropes and gets coached up but long term starting NFL right tackle I don’t see why not…plenty of upside…I’m betting on it…3[SUP]RD[/SUP] ROUND

Brandon Thomas left tackle Clemson…6 foot 3 ¼ 317 lbs.…34 3/4 arm length…35 bench…1.78 10 yardsplit…less than ideal height but the arm length makes up for it somewhat…makes him grade as more a 6 foot 4 guy imo…not an NFL left tackle more right tackle and left guard…I think ideally he’s a left guard in the pros…strength shows on tape…pop on contact…pretty good in the run game when he has a straight ahead target…kind of straight linish some stiffness in his hips…looks good in a straight line…can get to the 2nd level…movement looks more meant to be in a phone booth to me…can overset to the outside and open the more direct route to the quarterback…might be more power but I’m not ruling out zone…not a lot of quick change of direction in space…can be caught flat footed in space…3RD ROUND

Jawuan James offensive tackle Tennessee…6 foot 6 311 lbs.…35 arm length…22 bench…1.82 10 yard split…great length and size…left tackle measurables…natural bender good feet…looked very good in combine hip and mirror drills…tapes not quite as athletic laterally etc. that he showed at the combine… started all 49 games…can recover when beaten by speed off the corner and ride a guy out…odd that he would play right tackle with the more heavy footed and grabber Antonio Richardson manning the left…seems like more the left tackle of the two at the college level even…finesse offensive tackle looks a little lost awareness wise at times…can look a little clumsy down the field also…potential to start on the left side from the get go due to pass pro skills…not really the down the field and to the perimeter move athlete I’m looking for…someone will bet on the ideal size and arm length…3RD ROUND

Weston Richburg center Colorado State…6 foot 3 3/8 298 lbs.…33 3/8 arm length…25 bench…1.78 10 yard split…50 collegiate starts…showed at the senior bowl he could anchor…can get to the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] level and get his head out in front…solid tape…less athletic than last years center pick Brian Schwenke who I had as a 3rd round grade and was drafted in the 4th in a less depth class and if I was grading them head to head I would prefer Schwenke for us…may be a guy that can play all 3 interior positions…I like him…my thoughts here are LATE 3RD ROUND EARLY 4TH

James Hurst offensive tackle UNC…6 foot 5 296 lbs.…33 ¾ arm length…more NFL ready than Billy Turner but not the same level athlete as I see it…feet are solid not special lateral quickness and agility I see issues with…scheme fit probably can play at 305 lbs. and not lose anything…I don’t see much upside here…can get to the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP]level and pull…also can get overpowered and knocked flat on his rear…can overset…hands can get out of the framework of the body and get him in trouble…make a living as a NFL right tackle as I see it…depends on how much he can work out and show health wise pre draft as to where his value is…nasty broken leg…if he was still on the board day 3 it wouldn’t surprise me… 4[SUP]TH[/SUP] ROUND

Trai Turner right guard LSU…6 foot 2 5/8 310 lbs.…34 arm length…25 bench…1.72 10 yard split…built like a fire hydrant…power and pop on contact…plays thru the whistle…shows as a good move athlete…gets down the field very well…technique needs work…movement wise we are talking about a top 50 like guy…has some nastiness and some ****iness to him…upside for sure…hasn’t figured out what he’s capable of yet…can let guys get into his body and not take advantage of that terrific arm length and play small as a result..…couple the less than ideal size with only 20 collegiate starts and I think what you have is a 4[SUP]TH [/SUP]ROUND prospect…a little raw had he stayed in school I think we’d be talking about a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] rounder in 2015…just not enough body of work…might be more a power scheme fit…height can lead itself to tipped balls at the los in pass pro against larger defensive linemen…if we took him in the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]round I wouldn’t have much problem with it…I like the player…

Dakota Dozier left tackle Furman…6 foot 3 5/8 313 lbs.…33 7/8 arm length…23 bench…1.78 10 yard split…small school left tackle that will kick inside to left guard in the pros…not overly athletic but a lot of upside here can drop his hips can get too high off the ball and needs work on his technique…I like what I see…maybe not ideal fit but I think he can play in our scheme…4[SUP]TH[/SUP] ROUND

Morgan Moses left tackle Virginia…6 foot 6 314 lbs…35 3/8 inch arms…1.94 10 yard split…pretty much underwhelmed across the board at the combine…showed to be less athletic than I think many expected…I have seen every game he’s played at UVA and I have always felt like he underachieved…I don’t see NFL left tackle here at all looks right tackle only to me I keep seeing top 50 pick stuff and I just can’t get down with it…inconsistent tape…slow footed almost heavy feet…struggles with speed off the edge…not going to get to much in space…only real reason I am including him is Bill Lazors familiarity with the player and maybe he thinks he can get the most out of the guy…effort at times looks lacking …can move people in the run game…I have questions about work ethic…make him have to sweat it out the first 2 days of the draft and maybe it will light a fire… 4TH ROUND…really not the fit I’m looking for…

Brandon Steen right guard Alabama…bench dnp…6 foot 3 314 lbs.…30 ½ arm length…t rex arms looks maxed out…shows good awareness looks coached up…I just don’t see upside…limited athlete…going to primarily play at or near the los the further down the field he goes the less interesting he becomes…lateral footwork looks pretty solid feet look ok has some pop on contact and some strength to move and strength in his hands…scheme fit but how much can you expect this guy to get to on the move???...don’t like his body…smart enough and aware enough to start….i may be underselling him…understands angles…ehhhh 5TH ROUND…this low due to the short arms and the lack of upside and downfield movement skills…

Michael Schofield offensive tackle Michigan…6 foot 6 ½ 301 lbs.…34 arm length…bench dnp…1.71 10 yard split…right tackle guard capabilities…great length and size…tested well athletically at the combine but looks limited on tape…looks decent in the run game …lateral quickness does not look like a strength…position versatility raises the value here…could be one of your off the bench active on game day guys early due to guard or right tackle in a pinch play…performed better than expected in one on one pass rush drills senior bowl week…developmental with upside…how much though??? Might be maxed out as a rotational off the bench player…5TH ROUND

Ryan Groy left guard Wisconsin…6 foot 4 5/8 316 lbs.…33 ¼ arm length…26 bench…1.75 10 yard split…shows good awareness can anchor leaves a lot to be desired from a move athlete on tape however…can play in our scheme but leaves you wanting more…great size…kind of guy that if he’s starting for you he’s probably someone you look to replace…more a bench rotation guy but I don’t know that I see the versatility you’d look for with your extra active on game day offensive lineman here…don’t see much upside…6[SUP]TH [/SUP]ROUND

Gabe Ikard center Oklahoma…6 foot 3 5/8 304 lbs.…33 1/8 arm length…22 bench…1.78 10 yard split…smart heady player tough and durable…decent move athlete but not going to wow you with anything…doesn’t get to much in space…high character could end up being 8 year starter down the road …classic overachiever…looks like a tough cut…6TH ROUND

Bryan Stork center Florida State…6 foot 4 315 lbs.…32 ¼ arm length…can engage at the los and get off to the linebacker level…hips are stiff…can get high in pass pro but shows the ability to anchor…tough shows solid awareness…surrounded by serious talent which may have raised his level of play…can drop his head and lean…average athlete…looks like depth to me…limited lateral athlete…doesn’t get to things in space he should…doesn’t flow down the los very well…not much pop on contact…more positional move guy than power one…good size potential to play guard which should help him but I don’t know that I see the strength for it …scheme fit…6[SUP]TH[/SUP] ROUND

Wesley Johnson left tackle Vanderbilt…26 bench…6 foot 5 297 lbs.…33 1/8 arm length…1.72 10 yard split…kind of thin framed looks like he may be maxed out from a weight stand point…not an NFL left tackle not a guard either as I don’t see the strength right tackle center only to me…likely more center than anything…developmental project would be a while before if or when he ever helped you…as such LATE DAY 3 …needs to get stronger and stouter…2 years from now maybe you got something…

Last edited by a moderator:
Double space or Tab, pick one please.

:chuckle:

Thanks for the write up though!

Great resource, Hoops. I like your thinking on Billy Turner. He's exactly the type of solid 3rd rounder we've been lacking. Get a FA left tackle and plug n play Turner on the right side.

We seem to be on the same page on a handful of guys, 2 guys stick out to me that we disagree with and that would be Chris Watt and Marcus Martin. I haven't seen great athletes on tape, but I'll definitely watch a few more games and get a more well rounded feel for them before I strike them from the board. Great write up. I'd also look at the BC LT Patchan late (quickest 10yd split at the combine) and Laurent Duvernay-Tardif from McGill. Russ Lande called him a top 10 tackle prospect in this draft. S'ua-Filo I think is a darkhorse for our pick.

Edit: Ah I see what you have to say about Patchan, can't say I'd looked into it.

You probably won't find much on him but Spencer Long, OG out of Nebraska, is intriguing.

great work hoops.

Glad to see you are high on Martin who i think we wll end up taking in round 1

Hoops you see Z. Martin as a LT or LG

Keep hearing dude is too short for OT at the next level.

I'm surprised you even have Morgan Moses on here. I didn't see anything to make me think he was a scheme fit. Flabby body too, looked very stiff in a lot of the drills at the combine. I was very unimpressed. I agree, regardless of scheme, the top 50 talk is crazy.

I'm surprised you even have Morgan Moses on here. I didn't see anything to make me think he was a scheme fit. Flabby body too, looked very stiff in a lot of the drills at the combine. I was very unimpressed. I agree, regardless of scheme, the top 50 talk is crazy.

only cause of lazor...jawaun james and moses aren't really what i'm looking for...

We seem to be on the same page on a handful of guys, 2 guys stick out to me that we disagree with and that would be Chris Watt and Marcus Martin. I haven't seen great athletes on tape, but I'll definitely watch a few more games and get a more well rounded feel for them before I strike them from the board. Great write up. I'd also look at the BC LT Patchan late (quickest 10yd split at the combine) and Laurent Duvernay-Tardif from McGill. Russ Lande called him a top 10 tackle prospect in this draft. S'ua-Filo I think is a darkhorse for our pick.

Edit: Ah I see what you have to say about Patchan, can't say I'd looked into it.

i just havent seen enough work of the mcgill kids to form a grade...if someone wants to bet on upside and development there and take him likely late on day 3 it wouldn't surprise me...i don't think sua filo gets anywhere near #50 personally...i bet he goes in front of yankey who is a power scheme fit guard...like gabe jackson and cyril richardson...all power guys

apparently the fins see him as a RT

my thoughts are more right tackle and left guard...but i think he could play pretty much anything in a pinch...would i be happy going into camp with him the penciled in starting left tackle??? probably not...but right tackle i would be...or left guard...

he's a find a spot player as far as i'm concerned...

i just havent seen enough work of the mcgill kids to form a grade...if someone wants to bet on upside and development there and take him likely late on day 3 it wouldn't surprise me...i don't think sua filo gets anywhere near #50 personally...i bet he goes in front of yankey who is a power scheme fit guard...like gabe jackson and cyril richardson...all power guys

Ya I meant at #19 for Xavier, or a prime candidate for a trade down. And fair enough on the McGill kid, I'd take a shot late. Interesting that you don't have Yankey on here, not that I disagree cause he's sort of fringy. My favorites are probably Brandon Thomas, Trai Turner and Brandon Thomas. I'm a round higher on each of them than you, rest of it is similar. Patchan I'd look at as a UFA.

Back
Top Bottom