hoops scoops...potential #19 pick lb ryan shazier tale of the tape... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...potential #19 pick lb ryan shazier tale of the tape...

hoops

Tua time!
Reaction score
seems like this board is very high on the ohio state lb...i hear many people pining for the heavy collegiate production and playmaking lb with our top pick...is he worth it??? does he fit the defense and should coyle covet him??? let's see what the tape says

first thing you notice is he literally size wise looks like a safety playing lb...i mean more than 220 lbs seems like a stretch to me but i've heard he played at 225 lbs this year and well that's as heavy as i can believe...

anyways he's 237 now and he tested off the charts at his pro day i doubt he'll play in the pros at that heavy but i guess it's fair to say you are getting a early 230 lbs in the pros and not losing anything athletically and that will help if he can maintain it...anyways back to the tape

i don't see any inside run game read and dx everything i see with his game is post snap reaction in that regard...athlete taking over...he gets flat run over vs the downhill running game and is on his back a lot...you don't see any real lateral flow down the los he turns and sprints sideways to the ball why is that??? cause he doesnt have any presnap read and dx...he's out of position and he's late and it's the rediculous athleticism and from a flat start quick acceleration and top end speed that keeps it from showing as much at the collegiate level...

unlike cj mosley for instance he doesnt elude 2nd level blockers very well again why is that??? it comes back to being late on read and dx...and everything clicking in his head post snap...he is a reaction lb...a post snap player at the position...

i frankly don't like his inside run game play at all...everything if he does fill at the los is play call determined called in from the sideline...or it's post snap reaction...if the plays directly in front of him and he's clean to the ball he can make splash plays...misses tackles in space an athlete of that level should not...can overrun the play or come in too hot

he looks best in the run game sprinting off tackle and wide and chasing the ball down from the backside where that breathtaking acceleration and closing ability pops off the screen...

if he makes any defensive or coverage calls i didn't see it...

his zone drop play and awareness vs the pass is average at best...doesnt really show instincts for coverage or feel for players invading his zone...depends on that quick start acceleration and top end speed to arrive with the ball or shortly thereafter...doesnt read qb eyes all that well doesnt feel his man and the qb doesnt have his eyes on the qb at all times and i don't see much feel for route combinations and scenarios

man coverage i'm sure that level athlete if it's his primary assignment can cover but i doubt he will make many plays on the ball in coverage cause he loses the ball and the man...you just dont see a lot of natural awareness...

what i do see that i REALLY REALLY like is his pass rush blitz play...he's got a knack for getting to the qb and as far as picking the right route there's got to be some instincts to that but there's also a ton of athleticism driving it...his delayed blitz stand still start and close to the qb is crazy...no wonder he tested so well...his explosion abilities are elite level no way around it...burst and acceleration out the nose...

he even shows some abilities to rush wide on the edge from a 4 point stance against tackles but it's all run wide around guys stuff...doubt it will translate to the pro level...if he's clean on the edge he shoots like out of a cannon into the backfield...if you don't account for him he's gonna be in your qbs kitchen in a hurry that's for sure

inside blitz play shows again the ability to pick clean routes and he's willing and able to thud a stay at home blocker come off and finish the play...no doubt a lot about that explosion and rediculous quick acceleration despite lacking lead in the pants...

bottom line is while i love the athlete and there's zero doubt he can be an effective blitz lb in the pros and in coyles scheme the all post snap reaction in every facet of the running game and the lack of awareness and instincts vs both the run and pass i would not be happy with a 1st round pick here...miamis biggest issue at lb isn't lack of athleticism it's lack of awareness for the position and instincts and too many post snap reactionary players...i don't see how ryan shazier would change that

Another nice write up

You see a lot of guys like this who have dominated just because that are a better athlete then everyone else on the field, the problem is that once they get to the NFL they get exposed...

I have to agree with the consensus of Mosley in the 1st or skip on LBers that will be there at 19 entirely. Grab another player and move on.

I feel K Mack is the need fill for us. And I'm a huge Buckeye fan. Mack is the LINEBACKER , even though a shot at him requires another big position trade up like last year's for D Jordan.

I feel K Mack is the need fill for us. And I'm a huge Buckeye fan. Mack is the LINEBACKER , even though a shot at him requires another big position trade up like last year's for D Jordan.

I doubt the Dolphins can get into the top 5 unless they trade picks in next years draft

Mack can start for any NFL teams, I thinks he is one of the safest pick at the top. I don't think he will fall out of top 3 pick. The latest news seems pointing that Houston take him No.1 barring a trade.

mack is a stud but in a 43 you probably have to make that a sam on 1st and 2nd down and then let him rush wide on 3rd down...more ideal fit 34 olb...

forget about any miami and mack stuff ha ha...not with dion jordan here

Thanks for the write up. Good to know stuff, if only you could combine Mosley and Shazier ha

The current need on this team is a tough ILB that can stuff runs at the LOS. In this draft it is Mosely or Borland. We need to come away with one or the other.
Mosley will likely be gone, so we need to grab Borland in the 2nd.
Grab WR Cook at 19 and Borland with the 2nd.
The #19 must be a play maker and someone who impacts the game IMHO.

Well once again I must disagree. Once again I must admit my lack of pedigree in this area, but I see the two players 100% opposite as you. Shazier is a VERY instinctive player who plays down hill with an attitude. Funny how you say he doesn't play instinctive and CJ does, yet Ryan has 23 tackles behind the LOS to 9 for the great CJ Mosley. Plays behind the LOS scream of reading the plays and being able to trust your instincts to get to the ball and make the play. Playing safe like CJ does too often will not translate into the NFL. The NFL is about play making ability and Shazier has it in spades, while CJ is about not over running the play and is average to below average at reacting to the play once he does read it.

In pass coverage, I will admit CJ has a real knack for playing zone and reading the direction of the QBs eyes, but that will get him trouble in the NFL, QBs will look him off with ease. Ryan on the other hand is better in man to man coverage and makes up for any lack of recognition with aggression and speed.

As for the size issue, Ryan Shazier will be able to easily add 10-15 more pounds on that large frame without suffering any to his speed. He plays with the rabid dog attitude that has been missing around here. CJ's "play it safe" style is not what this team needs. We need playmakers and Shazier is the definition of playmaker. Shazier's 9 ff to CJ's career of 2 shows the attitude and aggression he plays with. CJ will be a safe pick that will have a slightly better rookie year, but Shazier will have the better career, with 3x the game changing plays.

Ireland was the king of taking the safe pick, and where did that get us? Shazier isn't the safe pick, he is the drafting for potential and playmaking ability. I will take Shazier every time.

Big difference in playing against SEC competition Vs Big 10. Also Alabama plays 3-4. Its a mute point because I think Moseley will be gone top 15.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nice write up as usual. I don't want to see a LB in round one. If one, my preference is TE, WR, CB, S in no particular order. I hope they can trade back and wouldn't be upset moving out of round one all together.

Big difference in playing against SEC competition Vs Big 10. Also Alabama plays 3-4. Its a mute point because I think Moseley will be gone top 15.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Interesting. I think Mosley is there in the mid 20's.

Back
Top Bottom