hoops scoops...potential #19 pick lb ryan shazier tale of the tape... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...potential #19 pick lb ryan shazier tale of the tape...

Hoops, you always have things to say worth reading. However, for longer posts like these, could you perhaps take more time to write them better? It's not as easy to follow without caps and with all... the... ellipses... Did you write this thread from your phone or something? Not trying to be grammar police, just asking a favor for the future. I still enjoy your posts. :thanks:

wow. It's not that hard to read

So really what you are saying j off her doll is that you project that he will develop feel awareness and instincts for the position because he's so new to playing lb...maybe that will happen but I'm not taking that kind of chance projection when instincts and awareness are absolutely critical at lb in the first round.....

Some positions sign me up for projections all day lb...nah...

So really what you are saying j off her doll is that you project that he will develop feel awareness and instincts for the position because he's so new to playing lb...maybe that will happen but I'm not taking that kind of chance projection when instincts and awareness are absolutely critical at lb in the first round.....

Some positions sign me up for projections all day lb...nah...

I'm saying that he's already a great player, and a better player than Mosley, but that there's still meat on the bone. Mosley is what he is - and has injury concerns.

Hoops, you always have things to say worth reading. However, for longer posts like these, could you perhaps take more time to write them better? It's not as easy to follow without caps and with all... the... ellipses... Did you write this thread from your phone or something? Not trying to be grammar police, just asking a favor for the future. I still enjoy your posts. :thanks:

That's exactly what you are doing. This is a message board, not the New Yorker. It was pretty easy to read with or without caps and/or ellipses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ireland just resigned Misi so he will be here for at least another year....

Correct...so why would I bring in van noy and make him split snaps on early downs or compete with frankly the best lb in the core as it stands right now in misi...the most strength at the poa and best shed and fill lb for sure

I wouldn't...

That's exactly what you are doing. This is a message board, not the New Yorker. It was pretty easy to read with or without caps and/or ellipses.

It's all good...I told everyone from the beginning I'm not a writer have no interest in it...I haven't written a complete sentence since I graduated college not gonna start now...my line of work nothing worse than wasted words...you want that go talk to your wives they are great at meaningless fluff before they ever get to the point...

Too hard to read or put together no worries...don't read it

I'm saying that he's already a great player, and a better player than Mosley, but that there's still meat on the bone. Mosley is what he is - and has injury concerns.

HE is a great athlete, but not a great player...I have never seen anyone develop "instincts" you either have them or not....Someone will pick him up and he will make a spectacular play from time to time, but will end up being more of a liability who finds himself out of position more often then not.

First of all, Shazier is a South Florida kid. He's from Ft. Lauderdale. All the local schools wanted him badly. He committed to Florida before Meyer resigned due to health reasons. Then he detoured to Ohio State. It's ridiculous to dismiss Shazier's production since it's majority from the Big Ten. The power rating gap between the typical Big Ten team and SEC team is never more than a point or two. Too many happy adjusting fans want to pretend it's a different species.

This type of thing seems to show up every year. Two similarly rated players magnetize split camp allegiance. Fans of each side tend to overstate their guy while nitpicking the other.

I tend to prefer Shazier although I'm worried about him with Mitchell here instead of Soliai. An upfield gap splitting dynamo like Shazier would have been perfect if we still had Soliai clogging the middle and occupying two defenders. A guy like Mitchell is trying to shoot the same gaps, and the opponent isn't going to worry about him enough to assign two blockers.

Ohio State has a handful of guys who perpetually make big plays. If you watch their games it's a monopoly every week, the same few guys flashing on offense and defense. That's fine until you run into a rugged no-nonsense team like Michigan State, which isn't going to care about the occasional big play. They pound and grind every play, good enough to wear out blue collar Stanford as well as splashy Ohio State.

In our case, I think it's about time we tried the glitzy big play approach. We've paddled water for a decade with athletes who don't stand out in this league. Besides, I tend to agree with j-off-her-doll that Shazier's overall instincts are improving. Today I finally received Nolan Nawrocki's Draft Preview book. He devotes a section to the same idea: "Still developing eyes and instincts -- will diagnose and trigger more quickly down the road."

I wouldn't mind Mosley. Young player, not yet 22. He's a clear step above anyone we've had. But he's not exactly a wide body himself. Shazier does resemble a safety these days. Keep in mind he's only three years out of high school so he'll logically fill out.

Shazier and Kouandijo are third year juniors. That's natural upside. Imagine if the same guys had redshirted in college and were entering their fourth year in the program as a redshirt junior. That's where Zack Martin was two years ago. No kidding they won't be fully polished. I have to laugh when players like Martin are praised for great technique at this stage while every fault of Kouandjio or Shazier is spotlighted. Martin is more than 2.5 years older than Kouandjio.

If you're looking for ideas on the next prospect to dissect I think one of the defensive backs are a real possibility at 19 for us, pretty much everybody except Grimes, Jones and the rookies are on a one year deal. And Jones better step it up...

The graveyards are full of GMs who pick athletes over football players. No thank you.

?? See I can see you saying that about someone like Dion Jordan, but you DO realize that Shazier put up better production number than Mosley, right? More tackles, more forced fumbles, more sacks, and he did so from the WLB spot rather than the MLB who is normally your leading tackler. To say Shazier is just an athlete rather than a player is not realistic. Watch entire games rather than just the highlights, even on plays where he doesn't get the tackle he is almost always the reason why someone else did. He is a team guy who understands team defense and leverage, and will grasp the NFL game sooner rather than later.

With the 19th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Miami Dolphins select, Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State.....this is what convinced me fellas:

"Shazier's father, Vernon, has been the Miami Dolphins team chaplain the past five years, a fact not lost on one reporter who asked if Shazier's father had been a busy man in the wake of the Jonathan Martin bullying scandal."

?? See I can see you saying that about someone like Dion Jordan, but you DO realize that Shazier put up better production number than Mosley, right? More tackles, more forced fumbles, more sacks, and he did so from the WLB spot rather than the MLB who is normally your leading tackler. To say Shazier is just an athlete rather than a player is not realistic. Watch entire games rather than just the highlights, even on plays where he doesn't get the tackle he is almost always the reason why someone else did. He is a team guy who understands team defense and leverage, and will grasp the NFL game sooner rather than later.
Tackles don't really mean anything. ESPECIALLY in the college game. The paces of play differ between conferences. Offense style has something do with it. More useful statistics would be averages. Plus Bama plays a 3-4 rather than a 4-3. He is also the best athlete on the field. He'll still be a great athlete in the pros, but he won't be the best.

Give me instincts at the LB position anyday. I want another Zach Thomas back there.

Re: Vernon Shazier. That's cool. I didn't know that. Is he some kind of protestant reverend? I know the Catholic chaplain is Fr. Alvarez. That's certainly something to think about for draft day. I wonder how much it will play into Hickey's process.

It's a message board, not Twitter. I was just asking if he could change format. Hardly grammar police. Guess I'm just used to boards that hold members to a higher standard. Sorry for bringing the topic off track with all of this.

Tackles don't really mean anything. ESPECIALLY in the college game. The paces of play differ between conferences. Offense style has something do with it. More useful statistics would be averages. Plus Bama plays a 3-4 rather than a 4-3. He is also the best athlete on the field. He'll still be a great athlete in the pros, but he won't be the best.

Give me instincts at the LB position anyday. I want another Zach Thomas back there.
Then you certainly don't want CJ. Mosley. He isn't anything near a Zack Thomas. Borland is closer to Zach than is Mosley. Mosley is more along the lines of a slow, smaller, less productive Rolando McClain.

Back
Top Bottom