hoops scoops...potential #19 pick lb ryan shazier tale of the tape... | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hoops scoops...potential #19 pick lb ryan shazier tale of the tape...

Not to tell you what to do, but I'd be really interested to see how you feel about potential WR options at 19. I see exactly what you're seeing with Shazier by the way. A lot of people are confusing his freakish recovery ability with having instincts. His instinctual deficiency is being masked by his athletic ability. He chooses the wrong gaps a lot and struggles to get off blockers. I don't think Shazier will do well at the mike position given his inability to deal with blockers. I LOVE him at the will where he's able to use his freakish athleticism more, but that's only if we have someone back there that can lead the defense. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cowboys take Shazier with their pick since they have Sean Lee already.

Cowboys have that kid from unc they like...but he has a hard time like lee staying healthy...the depth lb play on that team is horrid no doubt

I'm doing a count of O-linemen Shazier and Mosley face on running plays. Through two games for each (MSU, Wisconsin for Shazier; LSU, Auburn for Mosley), Shazier dealt with O-linemen on 19/31 rushing attempts, and Mosley dealt with O-linemen on 23/58 rushing attempts. I'm going to do more games, but the preliminary results concur with what I expected - Alabama's 2-gap line keeps Mosley cleaner than does Ohio State's D line. I'll post the results after I've done 5 games for each.

Here's an area I really love Shazier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWOS89MXTJ4&t=6m56s

If you watch multiple games, he does this pretty frequently. If he's man-up on a RB, and that RB stays in to block, your QB is at risk. MSU got its RB out into the flat more often than is common, and I expect it had a lot to do with Shazier. His closing burst is world-class. And when RB's do release into pass patterns, his coverage is very good.

Finished the 5 game survey for each. For Shazier, I tallied MSU, IU, Clemson, Wisconsin, and Michigan; for Mosley, LSU, A&M, Oklahoma, Auburn, and Arkansas. Shazier dealt with O-linemen on 76 out of 109 designed runs, and Mosley dealt with O-linemen on 63 out of 126 designed runs - that's 70% to 50%. So based on this sample, Shazier does deal with more O-linemen than Mosley.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's an area I really love Shazier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWOS89MXTJ4&t=6m56s

If you watch multiple games, he does this pretty frequently. If he's man-up on a RB, and that RB stays in to block, your QB is at risk. MSU got its RB out into the flat more often than is common, and I expect it had a lot to do with Shazier. His closing burst is world-class. And when RB's do release into pass patterns, his coverage is very good.

While I also love that fact it also need to be praised with some caution. There were a few times he did that and the potential for a BIG play from that RB was there to be exploited. I'm not sure he will be at liberality to do that as much in the NFL! Given the fact the RBs are much better overall out of the back field and two you can expect NFL O-lineman to anticipate and pick up a blitzing Shazier a lot more effectively.

I dream of having a 3-4 aligned like this:

OLBs - Dion Jordan and Ryan Shazier
MLBs- Ellerbe, Misi
R/L-Ends(I get they may be too small for the position)- Wake, OV
NT(Ideally Soliai)- But Starks

I don't know if the above works at the NFL level, but it sure would be exciting to watch on the field.

Do I Even need to get into how much of a airball shazier as a 34 olb projection is :baghead:

Well I stand corrected with the blocking numbers, but not to give you a run around, but what was the difference if you add lead blockers into the equation?

Well I stand corrected with the blocking numbers, but not to give you a run around, but what was the difference if you add lead blockers into the equation?

I'll try to go back and tally that. I started, then stopped to streamline the tally. In those 5 games, Shazier totaled 44 solo tackles and 10.5 TFL, and Mosley totaled 33 solo tackles and 2.5 TFL.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 PM ----------

Do I Even need to get into how much of a airball shazier as a 34 olb projection is :baghead:

In a 3-4, he'd be a WILB.

Seems to me that if you are going to take Shazier at 19, your existing team and coaching would matter as much as what you thought of him as a player. If you think you have dominate DT's that are going to keep blockers off him and let him attack the ball go for it. You also have to be confidant in your coaching abilities. He'd have to learn a new position and learn to read plays better. Coming out of college their were concerns of Thomas and Lewis getting run over too. For thomas the whole D was designed to keep blocker off him. It worked out ok.

Sounds about right. The athleticism draws you in and his blitz ability. Mosley is better overall. How do these two compare to 2-3 round guys Borland and the BYU LB?

I don't think Miami picks Shazier in the end, but the kid is a stud. Laughable that anyone says he is a "day three" talent. Simply silly.

I think Miami goes RT in some capacity with their first pick. At the end of the day, they have to fix the bookends.

Check out these from Rapport...

Talked to a GM yesterday. Watched CJ Mosley tape & said “Looks like a Packer.” Shazier likely option too RT @AreVeeEss: @RapSheet Green Bay?

At 1 point, I wondered if #OSU OLB Ryan Shazier would be a 1st rounder. Heard so much love for him this week. Think it’s a lock. He can fly

:lol: it's not my fault you guys can't separate athlete and playmaker from the actual lb play...which is the most critical part of the evaluation

Last edited by a moderator:
Shazier is a physical freak with decent instincts...Mosley is decent physically with excellent instincts Here are the variables that come into it...coaching, scheme and health.Mosley is not going to have a long career, take the SHAZ.

wow. It's not that hard to read

I actually prefer the style, it's like a conversation, need to think like he's talking, with pauses, the periods and spacing allows you to know he wants you to move on to a different thought.

:lol: it's not my fault you guys can't separate athlete and playmaker from the actual lb play...which is the most critical part of the evaluation

Look nobody is saying CJ Mosely isn't going to be a decent player at the next level. But, I think its fair to say he isn't necessarily going to be dynamic! Just steady and likely consistent. Hell sorta like a better version of Misi if you ask me...just a consistent guy![Boring 8-8)

We want some freakin fire around here. A guy, yes that probably has a high bust potential. But, that same guy has the potential to make things happen that Mr.Mosely could only dream off.

Sign me up for a potential stud any-day over another consistent player.

Back
Top Bottom