Hoops Scoops...prospects Miami should target in the 2013 draft first 4 rounds... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hoops Scoops...prospects Miami should target in the 2013 draft first 4 rounds...

Ive seen Hayden mocked in rounds 4-5 recently. Has he not checked out medically yet? If not, when will we know?

I seem to think this every year, but this draft really is going to be exciting. We can go so many different ways, and based in the talent level from say pick 10 up until late second even top of round 3 is gonna make it an interesting ride.

Hopefully we can nail some of our top picks for once.

I'd love a trade down (unless a top 10 talent drops) to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd.

not really sure what you are talking about...mingo is 241 lbs played a hand in the dirt de at lsu all through his college career...if there's an adjustment it's making the switch to 34 olb...that's where the projection lies...he's never done that...

to me if you're gonna draft someone with a top 20 pick you should be playing to his strengths and what you graded him so high in the first place with...not asking him to be something else...i think that's where you can get yourself in trouble...so much projection with a position switch...

guys that are no brainer stand up olbs in a 34 are dion jordan...who has played so much standing up and dropping etc there is no projection there...it's plug and play...

Because I have been accused of not adding enough to my takes, here is my take on Mingo.

He is light in the pants for a DE. The Fins are looking for 4-3 DE's and Mingo...with his frame does not fit what they do. He better match up vs. TE's because NFL tackles will swallow him up. If Mingo does not win with his initial burst he shows, at best he has limited counter moves.

Mingo has this supposed talent yet disappears in way too many games at LSU. If it is not his talent than it is his passion for the game. Maybe you can blame the Les Miles' culture for allowing that to happen, but at the very least it shows he is not a self-starter.

Finally, I do not like his overall fit anyways the NFL. He will have to be a 3-4 LB. He has never played it before so he is kind of a misfit. Too small for DE in a 4-3 and untested at OLB in the 3-4. How much better is this player really going to get?

At the end of the day, he is not a fit for Miami.

Thanks for all the hard work. I am so torn about who to pick with our first pick. I love the idea of Austin's playmaking ability because we need that desperately. Same can be said for Eifert. Cooper would make our OL so much better. Carredine would be a fantastic DE for us. He has playmaking skills and size. Why can't we have 4 first rounders this year :thanks:

Ive seen Hayden mocked in rounds 4-5 recently. Has he not checked out medically yet? If not, when will we know?

I seem to think this every year, but this draft really is going to be exciting. We can go so many different ways, and based in the talent level from say pick 10 up until late second even top of round 3 is gonna make it an interesting ride.

Hopefully we can nail some of our top picks for once.

I'd love a trade down (unless a top 10 talent drops) to pick up an extra 2nd or 3rd.

with hayden i think people are just like myself late to the party...everything i've heard is that it's not an issue going forward medical wise...but you'll probably have a better answer on draft weekend with how long he last on the board...if he gets into day 3 i think it's more than fair to say the medical has people spooked...there's no way that kid should be out there at the start of the 4th round...

So other thoughts on your write up. While we disagree big time on Mingo, we have a lot in common overall.

* Johnson- If we want Lane Johnson, we got to move up. Dead on there.
* Cooper IS the best guard in the draft.
* Allen- does even play football anymore. Will be available in round two. I have never seen a "simple" knee injury take so long to heal.
* Eifert- seems like the consensus is he the first TE to come off the board, but your write up shows that there are other TE's of value later in the draft. Not good value at 12.
* Hayden- glad you joined the party! I like where you put him. He is that good. No way he is day three like some experts have him.
* Trufant- Agree with everything you said.
* Ertz- Excellent write up. Love this kid. Reminds me of Jason Witten
* Your write up shows how strong the 2nd round is this year. That means two things to me...one, Miami can get two valuable players OR a team ahead of the the Fins might be willing to bail for a little less to recoup a 2nd rounder...paging Oakland Raiders.

* If the Fins stay at 12. I think the "suspects" for that pick could be...in no order at this time...Eifert, Richardson, Trufant, Hayden or Vaccaro. I think we as fans are sleeping on the Vaccaro possibility.

Because I have been accused of not adding enough to my takes, here is my take on Mingo.

He is light in the pants for a DE. The Fins are looking for 4-3 DE's and Mingo...with his frame does not fit what they do. He better match up vs. TE's because NFL tackles will swallow him up. If Mingo does not win with his initial burst he shows, at best he has limited counter moves.

Mingo has this supposed talent yet disappears in way too many games at LSU. If it is not his talent than it is his passion for the game. Maybe you can blame the Les Miles' culture for allowing that to happen, but at the very least it shows he is not a self-starter.

Finally, I do not like his overall fit anyways the NFL. He will have to be a 3-4 LB. He has never played it before so he is kind of a misfit. Too small for DE in a 4-3 and untested at OLB in the 3-4. How much better is this player really going to get?

At the end of the day, he is not a fit for Miami.

well to be fair that's cause you don't usually provide any take...just one liners...but i appreciate the effort to explain your posiion here...i disagree with some of it...

obviously if i thought all mingo could do was beat te's i wouldn't have him this high...he's got the physical edge rush tools to give tackles fits...from a get off and burst which his lower half testing at the combine more than suggested from his 11 ft plus jump to his vertical etc...will he get washed out a lot if a tackle can get his hands on him and lock out??? yeah i'm sure he will...but will tackles always be worried about his ability to beat them on the edge and overcommit to make sure they get into that initial kick step as quickly as they can and open the door for him to redirect back inside and burst through to the qb with that rediculous acceleration and closing speed??? yep...

and this guys not as small as you are leading on by the way...6 ft 4 1/4 241 lbs...the ability to add another 5-8 lbs still of good weight and not lose anything...although he does have a thin torso...

While I am not a Mingo guy, he will be so interesting where he might go on draft day. I am sure someone will fall in love with him and take him earlier than I would. Boom or bust guy.

So other thoughts on your write up. While we disagree big time on Mingo, we have a lot in common overall.

* Johnson- If we want Lane Johnson, we got to move up. Dead on there.
* Cooper IS the best guard in the draft.
* Allen- does even play football anymore. Will be available in round two. I have never seen a "simple" knee injury take so long to heal.
* Eifert- seems like the consensus is he the first TE to come off the board, but your write up shows that there are other TE's of value later in the draft. Not good value at 12.
* Hayden- glad you joined the party! I like where you put him. He is that good. No way he is day three like some experts have him.
* Trufant- Agree with everything you said.
* Ertz- Excellent write up. Love this kid. Reminds me of Jason Witten
* Your write up shows how strong the 2nd round is this year. That means two things to me...one, Miami can get two valuable players OR a team ahead of the the Fins might be willing to bail for a little less to recoup a 2nd rounder...paging Oakland Raiders.

* If the Fins stay at 12. I think the "suspects" for that pick could be...in no order at this time...Eifert, Richardson, Trufant, Hayden or Vaccaro. I think we as fans are sleeping on the Vaccaro possibility.

i like vaccaro...best cover safety in the draft...can man the slot...but 4.65 40 does not suggest top 12 worthy pick...had that been in the low 4.5's then i think it would be more likely...

i like vaccaro...best cover safety in the draft...can man the slot...but 4.65 40 does not suggest top 12 worthy pick...had that been in the low 4.5's then i think it would be more likely...

I wish he had a little more productivity. His 5 picks does not impress me for 12. However, I think he is in the mix.

I wish he had a little more productivity. His 5 picks does not impress me for 12. However, I think he is in the mix.

that's the other thing...while a very good cover safety not quite the ballhawk that would validate the pick...more #16-20 range imo...i don't have a problem with him though in a signiicant trade down but again you'd prefer more ballhawk at safety...guys that aren't end up grading out as pretty average

that's the other thing...while a very good cover safety not quite the ballhawk that would validate the pick...more #16-20 range imo...i don't have a problem with him though in a signiicant trade down but again you'd prefer more ballhawk at safety...guys that aren't end up grading out as pretty average

Totally agree.

If these were the options at each spot I would hope to end up with one of these three lineups...

Austin/. Eifert./ Austin
Ertz. /Hunt./ Ertz
Armstead./ Swope./ Cyprien
Poyer/Mathieu. /Poyer. /Poyer
Rambo. /Mathieu./ Matheiu
McFadden /Jones./ Jones

Thanks Hoops...I'm going to print your post and have it handy as I watch the draft!!

AUSTIN, DJ HAYDEN, TRUFANT.

I DONT CARE HOW they get these guys or where just as long as one or two of them become dolphins.

IRELAND [as well as other finz brass] have long made the mistake of not taking PLAY MAKERS high in the draft. we havnt gone anywhere in 20 years because WE CANT PUT POINTS ON THE BOARD!! not because our front end beef didnt open holes 2 more inches. our o-lines have taken a LOT of the blame for miami not having ANY play makers.

and it will be a COLOSSAL mistake if our 1st pic is an OT. we went NOWHERE with long in his prime. why? NO PLAY MAKERS!! NO POINTS!! we have averaged about 17 points a game for YEARS now. i make and exception with WARMACK because this is another OTHER WORDLY talent and will be just as good in ANY scheme. WHY? because he doesnt need the huge athletic moves guys like cooper have. he flat stands up guys at the point with NO budge. they go no where in pass pro. like pouncy, he is in your face in a heart beat and when locked on, ITS OVER!! and he is a better athlete than a lot of guys think. and i believe we could trade down a few spots and still get him IF the finz are thinking o-line.

over all, as much as i LOVE warmack and see a hall of fame guard, PLAYMAKERS is what we need most along with CB'S who can actually play. i dont see any trade up for milliner. TRUFANT is the better all around db and will probably be sitting there at #12. this guy is a much faster SAM MADDISON and will play with us for years to come and give us the big play, take away corner we havnt had since sam.

DJ HAYDEN. one of my top 3 players in this draft. the best all around skills amongst db's in this draft, PERIOD!! i have been singing his praises for a while and would have screamed more but i thought he was done and over in football after that injury. IF he hadnt had the two injuries back to back, we wouldnt even have a shot at him as he would go top 2 in this draft. BUT, the fact he is so good and we have multiple hi picks, he is worth gambling on to move up in the lower 1st [and he could be gone] or take him with our 1st selection in the second round. someone just may take him in the 1st, teams like san fran who are in a position to draft WHOEVER they want!

i dont care for ANY of the pass rushers that hi, the ones who could actually be there at #12. even though we need another to go with wake. we had a GOOD pass rush, top 5 last year and we lost games because WE COULDNT SCORE POINTS!! and WE COULDNT STOP TEAMS in the air [where points come from]. so CB and offensive PLAY MAKER are where we need to stay in the first 3-4 pics in this draft.

JONATHAN MARTIN: is a better LT than a RT. which is odd, but, thats whats on tape. his ONLY problem playing the position last year was strength. and this could EASILY be corrected with the right off season weight room routine. he has the frame to build on, the smarts and the feet to play LT at a hi level, hi enough to get us where we want to go. and i dont think IRELAND is ready to call him a bust after taking him hi [i didnt want him in that spot] and watching him blunder on the rt side. now, if they have decided he cant play LT at the level they want, MORE EGG ON IRELANDS FACE and another reason to give the big bodies a rest for a while hi in the draft. they need to focus on play makers and TRUE corners. PERIOD!! we have found some good pass rushers later in the drafts and in canada so if it comes down to PASS RUSHER, CB or PLAY MAKING WR, we should go with CB or WR. again, we lost most games last year do to NO PLAY MAKERS. could we use some more pass rush? yes, as wake needs a rest from the quadruple zuple attention he gets every play. but, our problems last year were not lack of rush, we had decent sack numbers and hurries and knock downs, we just didnt have CB'S who could cover for ANY length of time!! AND, we had no one in the endzone. leave MARTIN in at lt, draft a true lt prospect later in the draft [not some position change experiment] and let him have his weight program and play this year at LT.

IF WE TRULY are trading up, it better well be for milliner or to make sure we land AUSTIN who could very well not last till #12, no matter what the arm chair crowd thinks. AUSTIN is a wanted man and wont even sniff the bottom of the 1st. the cats out of the bag and to many teams no this isnt another one hit speed wonder you see hocking video games to over grown teenagers in the mall. he is a DOMINANT THREAT at 3 different positions.

this draft is UNDER RATED and outside of AUSTIN, TRUFANT, DJ HAYDEN EIFERT and WARMACK , all guys with dominant game, freakish talent, there are dozens upon dozens of players i would be very happy with in the rounds 3-5. good players. starters. THIS FIRST 3 PICS absolutely have to be HOME RUN HITTERS, BPA's at every pic with our 1st and 2 second rounders. no reach at pass rusher and no tackles or o-line other than warmack. i like cooper, a whole lot. but, he isnt the freekish talent that warmack is, and warmack is a talent on the line you see come around ever other decade or so.

POINT MAKERS AND BALL HAWKS, PERIOD!!!

Back
Top Bottom