hooshoops prospect takes... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hooshoops prospect takes...

hoops

Tua time!
Reaction score
well all i kept hearing was people wanted to see my own work and have my own analysis and not piggy back on other peoples threads...well i finally requested the platform to do so where people could get my takes and analysis and so throughout the college football season and postseason draft process ie the senior bowl the postseason all star games the nfl combine the pro days etc i'm gonna be posting my analysis and evals on nfl prospects and talent...i want to make it perfectly clear i am not a writer nor do i ever intend to be so what you are gonna get is pretty much a blog form from me...i'm a football guy always will be...i know nfl talent i know how to identify it and i know how to grade it and assess a value to it...i'm not afraid to be held accountable for my takes either...last thing to say before i start adding content is that i don't care what kiper or mcshay or any other talking head has to say about a player...these are my own evaluations and analysis off my own study...i hope that you'll find it helpful and worth your time...so let's get it on...

we'll start with the best pure pass rush highest level upside prospect maybe in college football right now...barkevious mingo...who jumped off the screen at me last year in the alabama lsu game...if you haven't seen the tape i challenge you to do so...mingo was a one man wrecking crew...by far the best looking prospect on both sides of the los...i was floored...

long and lean mingo possesses explosive initial first step quickness off the ball and has rediculous athleticism and nice length and despite his relatively lean frame provides a pop on contact and understands leverage...i challenge you to find any guy with his hand in the dirt that gives more effort to the whistle...i haven't seen it...i can't help but think what a monster this kid could be if he added another 15 lbs to that frame he has the body that looks to me like he could carry that extra weight without losing much of anything...he rocks people on contact with his hands getting tackles off balance and then redirects back inside to the qb and shows off that 4.5 closing speed and rediculous quick acceleration...he runs down things from the backside he has no business getting to and covers ground like a gazelle...he has the ability to gain the edge and turn the corner with that explosive outside speed rush and then flatten out to the qb...his teammate sam montgomerys a solid looking player but this kids just another level...this is jpp type talent people...top 5 bpa all day long...i would jump on this kid like there's no tomorrow if he got in my wheelhouse if i'm miami

i also would challenge you to count how many offensive tackles he puts on their asses this year...this kid might need to add strength to be stouter at the poa against the run and i get that but for as lean as he is right now he puts guys on skates routinely...don't let all those damn double teams sure to come his way this year fool you...this kid is the goods...

Last edited by a moderator:
clear.gif

[video=youtube;biR1aJXTyiw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biR1aJXTyiw&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

[video=youtube;JNp3mHsU3kI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=JNp3mHsU3kI[/video]

Hoops my main concerns for this team are WR and CB, plus DE if Vernon doesn't show some serious flashes.. Being that we for sure will have 5 picks in the top 96 and probably 6 picks in the top 110-115 who would you key on in these first 3 rounds for these 3 positions (besides Mingo). Having a 4 year old with another one on the way and being in the middle of a home renovating project I don't have much time for college football so a little help would be great as for which games to set the DVR for.

I am right there with on your take of Vontae for a second. I will give you a :bobdole: and raise you a :tantrum:

Hoops my main concerns for this team are WR and CB, plus DE if Vernon doesn't show some serious flashes.. Being that we for sure will have 5 picks in the top 96 and probably 6 picks in the top 110-115 who would you key on in these first 3 rounds for these 3 positions (besides Mingo). Having a 4 year old with another one on the way and being in the middle of a home renovating project I don't have much time for college football so a little help would be great as for which games to set the DVR for.

not sure about individual players yet but i can tell you i'm not in love with the likely cb class...i would agree it's a major need...i tell ya one guy i'd use a 2nd rounder on even though he may be given his size a nickle cb in the pros and not a starting boundary one...the honey badger...dismissed from lsu sure but we need a real playmaker at cb...a guy with a nose for the ball...i'd burn a 2nd on that kid despite his less than ideal size in a heartbeat...

as for positions it's early and all but for what i have seen i say wr, cb, safety and mainly free safety and possibly pass rusher ie situational rusher or stud every down never leave the field de and shift odrick back inside to dt in the rotation...odricks a nice looking edge run defender but he's not thus far shown me much from a pass rush stand point on the outside...and frankly at 300 lbs i don't think he ever will...if i can get a bpa like mingo i jump on it...no matter what pick i have or what my needs are...he's that kind of difference making talent...a ballhawk at free safety would be nice we got just a guy like play from the position these days...barely know clemons is even there against the pass...

i will tell you that i think vernon has nice potential and upside and i expect him not to blow up this year but to show that he deserves another camp at least to show if he's the guy...again though if i can get mingo i don't hesitate...other than the qbs which trump all if that kid given his tools and upside and everyone and their mother looking for the next jpp gets out of the top 5 i'll be floored...the talents just sick

it's only been a week but as of right now i would say qb should be out of the equation...i see some really good things there...and i frankly don't think no matter what they'd give up on him in only a year...and right now frankly there's no reason even to consider it...he's shown better than expected...

this team could definitely use lb depth as in quality depth in case of an injury and some guards that fit the zbs...but we got bigger fish to fry early in the draft imo and positions that carry more weight draft value wise with those picks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Mingo is a ****ing animal. If he's there at our pick we need him.

Nobody else comes close to his pass rushing talent.

Aint no way you'd get me to spend a 2nd rounder on the Sugar Possum. Other than being a liability in man coverage, this is a kid who has been given several chances by Coach Miles and LSU to clean up his act and couldn't do it. He's an instinctive little player, but he makes most of his plays blitzing out of the slot in nickel packages forcing fumbles, etc. because John Chavis knows he's a liability in man-coverage. He makes a lot of plays because he's put in position to make plays. However, his special teams ability both as a returner and on coverage units is outstanding. 4th round is the highest I could go. He's wasn't even the best cover corner on his own team... Tharold Simon is the truth in that regard with Claiborne gone.

I think the corner class is better than people think. Right now they just aren't getting the hype by talking heads and draftniks, and the one's that were getting all the hype by talking heads and draftniks as if they were elite corners (David Amerson for example) can't cover a biscuit with a paper plate.

I don't have a good feel as to how the WR group will shake out, but I think it's important for us to do some real damage in Rounds 2 and 3. The Packers have done the bulk of their heavy lifting at the position in those rounds, and I'd be disappointed if we didn't come away with two very promising WR's before RD 4. But I think Mingo and Werner are the two guys I'm focusing on in RD 1. I can see Woods as a guy who falls to the top of RD 2, and he'd be a great fit for our system.

i won't disagree that the honey badger has some issues in man coverage to date but i think that's more about attitude than physical tools thus far...i think he has plus tools but could be coached up into a heck of a player...that said that's pretty much what we had in vontae regarding the want to and inconsistencies...anyways he looks to me like a pretty dependable tackler and i think he has solid instincts for the ball and has a nose for it...something outside of reshad jones and jimmy wilson i don't see much of in the current core...

i won't disagree that the honey badger has some issues in man coverage to date but i think that's more about attitude than physical tools thus far...i think he has plus tools but could be coached up into a heck of a player...that said that's pretty much what we had in vontae regarding the want to and inconsistencies...anyways he looks to me like a pretty dependable tackler and i think he has solid instincts for the ball and has a nose for it...something outside of reshad jones and jimmy wilson i don't see much of in the current core...
I would like to see what he could bring to the table as a Safety. Undersized, but solid and willing tackler and doesn't play small. It would get him out of man coverage more often and allow him to use his instincts to find the ball...which he does very very well. That said, all isn't he wanting to play at LSU again next year if they let him back on?

Back
Top Bottom