hooshoops prospect takes... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hooshoops prospect takes...

I would like to see what he could bring to the table as a Safety. Undersized, but solid and willing tackler and doesn't play small. It would get him out of man coverage more often and allow him to use his instincts to find the ball...which he does very very well. That said, all isn't he wanting to play at LSU again next year if they let him back on?

at safety i think he would follow a jimmy wilson path...

Sugar Possum already looks like Jimmy Wilson in man coverage....

clear.gif

watching lsu auburn the tigers play another de on some early downs in the rotation #89 edwards who's not a bad player in his own right by the way but mingo is just a different level from everyone else on the field...standing up or with a hand in the dirt this kids beautiful...i'm pounding the table for this kid...his pass rush talents and athleticism and length and the way he looks standing up and redirecting in space is phenomenal...might be the bpa in the draft period...he's like a more athletic looking aldon smith...more upside also

i don't care that the guy will be a liability against the run as a 43 de maybe while he gains weight...bruce irvin went #15 overall and he was light in the pants and not half the physical size specimen this kid is...but mingos gonna test as well if not better

this kids also gonna rock it in stand up lb drills at the combine which means imo 34 or 43 teams will covet him...i can't imagine what that guy would be with 15 lbs of good weight as a 43 end...scary stuff...just a freak as it is

keyed marques wilson today...pretty much won on every route i saw...nice looking vertical player...not seeing much strength but he got off the los well...i see a lot of finesse in his game...possible poor mans aj green like pro...love the size...looks like he can separate against man and in and out of cuts which is key with big wrs...smooth fluid looking player

don't much like the level of competition...

this isn't gonna matter for this upcoming draft but wr sammy watkins looks like he put on some good muscle weight this offseason...thicker but with the same explosion...nice looking damn player right there

watching lsu auburn the tigers play another de on some early downs in the rotation #89 edwards who's not a bad player in his own right by the way but mingo is just a different level from everyone else on the field...standing up or with a hand in the dirt this kids beautiful...i'm pounding the table for this kid...his pass rush talents and athleticism and length and the way he looks standing up and redirecting in space is phenomenal...might be the bpa in the draft period...he's like a more athletic looking aldon smith...more upside also

i don't care that the guy will be a liability against the run as a 43 de maybe while he gains weight...bruce irvin went #15 overall and he was light in the pants and not half the physical size specimen this kid is...but mingos gonna test as well if not better

this kids also gonna rock it in stand up lb drills at the combine which means imo 34 or 43 teams will covet him...i can't imagine what that guy would be with 15 lbs of good weight as a 43 end...scary stuff...just a freak as it is

Mingo would be Corey Lemonier with 15 pounds of good weight. I don't see how anybody could watch the LSU/Auburn and not see that there were two better defensive ends on the field in Lemonier and Montgomery.

I don't see how anybody could've watched any of LSU's games this year and not see that Sam Montgomery is a better player and it's not even up for debate.

Although I do understand your point about Bruce Irvin.... the difference with Irvin being you're talking about a kid who finished 2nd in the entire country with 14 sacks as a Junior despite playing only on 3rd downs. Mingo still doesn't have a sack through 4 games and has only been in on 1 tackle in the last 2 games. He hasn't sacked a quarterback since the Arkansas game last year.

Mingo has hit a wall in his development and it can only be due to a few reasons. He'll always be athletic.

Last edited by a moderator:
i can understand where someone would say that lemonier and montgomery are better de's than mingo at this point...they're definitely better all around players...montgomerys a little stiff to me but as a 43 de i don't see it as an issue...but what i will absolutely disagree on is that either of those guys have the same level explosion and burst abilities and pass rush upside and football upside period as barkevious mingo...i don't really care if anyone agrees with me on it either...i'll fly solo just fine...

anyways i'm trying to look at draft upgrades/fixes for our dolphins roster right now... most of my attention has been spent on it in looking at college players...and imo barkevious mingo makes a from the jump situational pass rush impact as a pro...a win pass rusher against nfl tackles imo...all the tools to be elite...a top physical talent well worth our 1st round pick wherever it falls...but very likely never to get to us after he blows the doors off the combine with that length that acceleration that long speed those hips and cod...and leaves nfl personnel with their jaws on the floor...

took a look at justin hunter...left me a little underwhelmed...talent and physical abilities are undeniable...serious explosion there...but very raw...route running needs a lot of work...some ugly looking routes...doesn't mean the kid won't be a monster...but he needs someone to teach him how to run routes...comin off an acl last year also...

his teammate patterson is a body catcher...not a natural hands catcher...everything gets into the body...i bet he'll fight the ball with his hands...

took a look at justin hunter...left me a little underwhelmed...talent and physical abilities are undeniable...serious explosion there...but very raw...route running needs a lot of work...some ugly looking routes...doesn't mean the kid won't be a monster...but he needs someone to teach him how to run routes...

his teammate patterson is a body catcher...not a natural hands catcher...everything gets into the body...i bet he'll fight the ball with his hands...
Which game did you look at? I haven't been impressed with Hunter in the two games I saw but I was impressed with Patterson in the Florida game. He had an OK game against NCST.

Which game did you look at? I haven't been impressed with Hunter in the two games I saw but I was impressed with Patterson in the Florida game. He had an OK game against NCST.

i've looked at both those games...i think they play georgia this week unless i'm mistaken...i'm gonna look at that one also...hunter is explosive but raw...doesn't press dbs before his cuts in his routes...doesn't sell things well but he's such a high end gifted explosion athlete in college at least he doesn't have to...i like his hands though...a couple drops i seen but that was more about not getting his head around quick enough imo...tyler bray i don't get all the hype there either...he throws more off his back foot than anyone i'd care to have playing under center...talented but also you can tell sometimes he's just throwing it up for grabs...and the kids a straight up punk...needs to have someone take him down a few notches...

patterson doesn't get much separation...but he's got pretty good ball awareness...and again i'm having a hard time seeing this kid hand catch anything...bread and butter seems to be slant routes but he'll catch in traffic...saw some back shoulder stuff to him that imo was all about bray and not much about the route being run...just perfectly placed back shoulder darts

there was a te #11 for florida named reed who i thought was interesting...but he looked like he's probably undersized and that was my first exposure...anyways i thought he showed some things...

i've looked at both those games...i think they play georgia this week unless i'm mistaken...i'm gonna look at that one also...hunter is explosive but raw...doesn't press dbs before his cuts in his routes...doesn't sell things well but he's such a high end gifted explosion athlete in college at least he doesn't have to...i like his hands though...a couple drops i seen but that was more about not getting his head around quick enough imo...tyler bray i don't get all the hype there either...he throws more off his back foot than anyone i'd care to have playing under center...talented but also you can tell sometimes he's just throwing it up for grabs...and the kids a straight up punk...needs to have someone take him down a few notches...

patterson doesn't get much separation...but he's got pretty good ball awareness...and again i'm having a hard time seeing this kid hand catch anything...bread and butter seems to be slant routes but he'll catch in traffic...saw some back shoulder stuff to him that imo was all about bray and not much about the route being run...just perfectly placed back shoulder darts
Don't like Bray, never have. Think he's got a bad attitude...worse than Jay Cutler without as much talent. I was impressed with Patterson in the way he fought for the ball in traffic and won...not much separation, you're right there but with a guy in his pocket he was still strong enough to come up with the catch.

I would prefer to stay away from those high end, athletic WRs that can't run routes. More often than not they never seem to get it in the NFL and with an offense like ours where the routes are so important I'd rather go another direction. We don't need another Carl Pickens from Tennessee in the NFL...at least not in Miami.

Don't like Bray, never have. Think he's got a bad attitude...worse than Jay Cutler without as much talent. I was impressed with Patterson in the way he fought for the ball in traffic and won...not much separation, you're right there but with a guy in his pocket he was still strong enough to come up with the catch.

I would prefer to stay away from those high end, athletic WRs that can't run routes. More often than not they never seem to get it in the NFL and with an offense like ours where the routes are so important I'd rather go another direction. We don't need another Carl Pickens from Tennessee in the NFL...at least not in Miami.
Especially in the first round or two. I see some really good things with Hunter, but I just don't see him in the same class as Allen, Wilson, or Woods. Physical talent wise he is better, but as a player right now he is not. If we are going to draft a WR early I want a polished player who is going to come in and make an impact immediately. We can't afford to wait

people either love Bray or hate him. I got a kick out of him during his freshmen year with his X celebration.

Tyler Bray's arm talent is terrific, the problem is, that's about the extent of the positives with him as far as I'm concerned. His delivery is elongated and he constantly double clutches the ball. Telegraphs his throws with his lower body by opening his hips directly to the target in order to make up some of the timing lost by his slow, elongated release.

His ball placement and accuracy is sporadic. I see significant YAC opportunities for his receivers left on the field due to inaccuracy. His poor ball placement doesn't stand out as much against SEC competition because his receivers are covered much tighter.... where it stands out the most is against lesser competition because his receivers get so wide open against this level of talent. I watched Justin Hunter literally have to drop to the ground to catch Bray's passes against Georgia St. when there wasn't a defender within 15 yards of him.... leaving significant run-after-catch yards on the field.

He also gets rattled easily. His decision making goes down the drain under pressure.

However, the most critical flaw that Bray has is in the intangible department. A lack of leadership and maturity.

The coaching staff was hoping he would become a leader and dedicate himself to film study in the offseason, but it didn't happen. He was busy throwing beer bottles off balconies and breaking car windshields rather than working on his craft...

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/jul/25/tyler-bray-roommate-accused-of-throwing-beer-off/

Not surprisingly, about two weeks later he was back in front of a judge for a jet skit incident....

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/aug/08/bray-to-be-back-in-court-on-boating-charge/

Personally, I don't see much that he has to offer me on or off the field that would make me want to burn a draft pick on him.

Back
Top Bottom