hooshoops prospect takes... | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

hooshoops prospect takes...

watched nickoe whitley miss a ton of tackles yesterday...i mean a ton...head down looking for kill shots or taking bad angles...

i like sean porter but i think he's an olb in a 43 scheme and not a win edge pass rusher against nfl tackles...more a blitz pass rusher at the next level...but kids explosive...more raw a pass rusher than chase thomas although i think they will both will bring the same thing pretty much as pros pass rush wise...although i think thomas has more strength in his hands...

dion jordan is long and lean and athletic and explosive and i like the way he gets off the ball but god is that kids pass rush raw...didn't see much arsenal just run around guys off the edge did most his damage when he was lined up across from a te one on one did see a nice dip move to gain the edge...but i think his rush tools are less refined than bruce irvins last year...

another game another a effort from the a & m tackles...jake matthews and joeckel never let a miss st end sniff the qb...that's mississippi states biggest problem on d not a win pass rusher on the field anywhere... matthews is a #1st round tackle fellas...all the way...perfect fit for a zbs

bamas ed lacy is a back that at the beginning of the year i called your run of the mill downhill big back...well i've changed my mind on that...he's got better feet and a more burst to him than i gave him credit for...and being that i think this team needs a better option in short yardage and goalline and to punish the defense with a big back in the 4th quarter etc i see him as a good fit...not sure how much i like that spin move in traffic however...

intrigued by oregon mike backer kiko alonzo although i have some reservations of how well he'll fit in a traditional base d...seems to me like a lot of those oregon defenders are tough projections...i like his instincts though and he was very fluid when asked to drop in pass d...

lsu mike backer donte mintner is a guy i like b/t the tackles...i question his speed on anything outside and down the field in coverage but with a mid round pick he's someone that interest me...might only be a two down backer at the next level...

other than arthur brown who i love i also like bamas cj moseley as a mike backer...insitinctual and with good speed only concern i have there is he looks like he's not very strong at the poa...

eric reid looked stiff in coverage to me yesterday kind of thing i've seen all year with him...he's got stiffness in his hips has a tough time making the transition from his pedal...looks more and more like a ss at the next level to me every day...

oklahomas tony jefferson is a safety i've had my eye on this year...i see a player that's very good at reading his run keys and attacking the los and a pretty sure tackler...if he sees it he attacks it if it's in front of him...looks like he has pretty good hips and quick acceleration also only question i have is is he more a strong safety or free at the next level...i lean free...anyways i have a solid 2nd round grade there...some questions about coverage i'd like to see answered

a fluid list of miami targets in the top 3 rounds as i see it right now off my to date study...

wr
keenan allen
robert woods
terrence williams
steadman bailey
quinton patton
marquess wilson

slot wr
tavon austin
ryan swope

cb
jonathon banks
desmond trufant

safety
kenny vaccaro
tony jefferson

te
tyler eifert
zach ertz

ot
jake matthews
taylor lewan
oday aboushi

og
jonathon cooper
chance warmack

rt/og
barrett jones

de
alex okafor
dion jordan
tank carradine

dt
will sutton

43 mlb
arthur brown
cj moseley

Hoops you think we need to look at DT in this draft................

Hoops,

Been watching Kiko Alonso quite a bit and nobody's talking about this guy. I've mentioned him in a few threads. He has a bagful of character concerns from past years but nothing recent, seems to have turned a corner. I like him a lot and he's going to be there in the third. As you say, very fluid and a good reader of the game. Solid tackler, takes a direct line to the ball.

Agree with you that Reid is a SS in the NFL, but, unlike Jefferson, he is a ballhawk and a playmaker. Jefferson is ridiculously smart and decisive, but he won't bring you turnovers. I don't think Coyle will want another player in the secondary who doesn't come into the draft with a track record of takeaways, sacks and or forced fumbles. Reid is much more of a project than Jefferson, but the end product will be better IMO.

You already know how I feel about Chase Thomas. Dion Jordan is fascinating, he could be a really interesting hybrid player in the NFL who gives offences a certain look pre-snap but moves all over the place, sometimes on the slot, sometimes covering TEs, sometimes with his hand in the ground, sometimes on the blitz from the A gap.

glad to see you mention Little Trufant Hoops. Fairly underrated prospect IMO who has been on some pretty crappy defenses.

This defensive end class is too talented to ignore. Two more guys I was just looking at the other day that kind of blew me away were Quanterus Smith of Western Kentucky and Walter Stewart of Cincinnati. Incidentally, what the hell do they put in the water at Cincinnati. They keep producing these unusually explosive defensive linemen.

Stewart has sticks of dynamite in his ankles and Smith is just brutal and relentless with good use of hands as a pass rusher, and the ability to be an every down defensive end.

With good depth at DE, maybe we can wait until the 3rd for a DE. Which leaves our first and second rounders on defensive backfield and receivers. If I walk out with Banks/Milliner in the first with a second round receiver like Stedman Bailey then I'd be ecstatic. Still a couple of day two picks for an end, linebacker, safety, or guard.

Hoops you don't have Milliner at corner? I like him. He knows how to play. I think he projects well. You know his skills will translate. Saban's system doesn't hide you at corner. We would know what we are getting with the kid.

Since there seems to be more depth at receiver, I am coming to the conclusion I want to grab a corner in round one. Although a Justin Hunter style receiver with size and speed could work well too. Still a major need for speed and playmakers. Too many impact players still needed.

Hoops you think we need to look at DT in this draft................

you lose starks and mcdaniel and dt is a need...but more than that will sutton is a freaking animal as an interior pass rusher...loses some steam when shifted outside to end but if there's a better interior pass rusher in college football i haven't seen him...cat quick into gaps plays with great leverage and strength and when he gets there he finishes...this is a guy no ones talking about cause he plays for arizona st but he just wrecks people...beat cal by himself...43 pentrating dt premium talent...only questions are how tall is he and what's he weigh??? i'm thinking comes in at 6 ft 2 290...

At TE, Ertz blows in my opinion. If I'm going all-rounder and Eifert is gone, it's Stoneburner, followed some distance behind by Gragg.

if its receiver-type TE with limited blocking assignments, it could be Fauria. I'd give Ertz about a 4th round grade.

Hoops,

Been watching Kiko Alonso quite a bit and nobody's talking about this guy. I've mentioned him in a few threads. He has a bagful of character concerns from past years but nothing recent, seems to have turned a corner. I like him a lot and he's going to be there in the third. As you say, very fluid and a good reader of the game. Solid tackler, takes a direct line to the ball.

Agree with you that Reid is a SS in the NFL, but, unlike Jefferson, he is a ballhawk and a playmaker. Jefferson is ridiculously smart and decisive, but he won't bring you turnovers. I don't think Coyle will want another player in the secondary who doesn't come into the draft with a track record of takeaways, sacks and or forced fumbles. Reid is much more of a project than Jefferson, but the end product will be better IMO.

You already know how I feel about Chase Thomas. Dion Jordan is fascinating, he could be a really interesting hybrid player in the NFL who gives offences a certain look pre-snap but moves all over the place, sometimes on the slot, sometimes covering TEs, sometimes with his hand in the ground, sometimes on the blitz from the A gap.

interesting points about jefferson...ones that i'd be willing to go along with actually after watching his tape...might be a more average pro cause he doesn't make splash play turnovers...but hes instinctual and when it's in front of him and he sees it he's on it...as for reid i think his issue in the pros is gonna be coverage...i think he'll be exposed in coverage...not as fluid a player as mark barron was last year more difficulty coming out of his pedal etc...

adding a wr to my list of targets after reviewing marcus wheaten tape i like that...top 50 guy for me...his ability to separate in his routes really stands out...nice burst i like his body and the way he locates the ball...very quick...offers specials returns also...looks like a guy that philbin ould covet and i think he plays smart...so iding coverage and running routes off of it i think he can do...separation though impressive and it will translate to the next level...interested in seeing if he's over 5 ft 11 though...one thing that i question is what can he offer in the red and tight red...i don't see a win high point the ball guy or run fades with guy...but i'm a fan...and he's a target for me

glad to see you mention Little Trufant Hoops. Fairly underrated prospect IMO who has been on some pretty crappy defenses.

trufants kind of hit and miss for me...some games i really like him like top 50 others i say 3rd round and wonder how tall is that kid...looks like he has long speed and he's a guy who gets his hands on you at the los and jams you and makes you work off of it...can reroute guys...by far for me though best in press man

down the road i like that redshirt freshman teammate cb of his an awful lot #21 i know that...love that size and he's got tools...plays more off coverage than trufant though

I've been on the Wheaton bandwagon. Very low risk of failure pick, IMO. Another guy in the same mould is Anthony Amos of MTSU. Smallish and not lightning quick but gets separation and is a deep ball vacuum cleaner. Catching ability off the charts.

Hoops you don't have Milliner at corner? I like him. He knows how to play. I think he projects well. You know his skills will translate. Saban's system doesn't hide you at corner. We would know what we are getting with the kid.

Since there seems to be more depth at receiver, I am coming to the conclusion I want to grab a corner in round one. Although a Justin Hunter style receiver with size and speed could work well too. Still a major need for speed and playmakers. Too many impact players still needed.

i don't have milliner cause i don't think he gets to us...why i don't have a mingo etc either...i think milliner can show some issues in off man at times and he can miss some tackles one on one at times but i also think he's the best in run support cb in the class and i can't overlook that the tape this year overall has been very good...got beat saturday on a just perfect throw but he lost on the outward cut when he had to open his hips and transition laterally...still the ball was perfectly placed...he's got plus feet looks like his hips are pretty fluid he's got the size and body teams covet in the draft and i think he'll run well...add in he plays in the sec against the highest level comp and while i think he's a little overrated i don't see him getting out of the top 15...

i will say though that i don't think his upside is that of jonathon banks...so if it was me and i had the choice of the two i'd go with the ball skills and rediculous length of banks

wow...just got done with 3 games of cb terry hawthorne tape...i would be stoked to get that in the 2nd round...i think i like him more than desmond trufant...he looks like a top 50 bpa off what i'm seeing...add him to the targets list ...

Hoops, I read an article on Keenan Allen being more of a possession WR then a true playmaker. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom