Hot QB Garbage

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Michael Morris, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Michael Morris

Michael Morris Active Member

I know there are some really good defensive teams in the playoffs like the Bills, Jags, Saints, Panthers, etc but there are some really bad to very average qb play with some of these teams. Just not many good qb's to go around as your starter or backup anymore. As much as we have other needs I'm almost wanting us to take a sure things at QB. If not get the best impact defensive player out there and build our defense to be the dominant force of the team. It's like if your building a Championship team you either have to get lucky and find a franchise qb or build a top shelf defense. Thought about this after watching the Jags and Bills.

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  2. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Who is this sure thing at QB you want?

Dajesus likes this.
  3. JJM_7

JJM_7 A True Fan

If there's one thing I've learned from this wildcard weekend is that we NEED to improve both our defense and our running game. Enough is enough of being poor in those two areas.

TheWozz, Chuck-182, artdnj and 3 others like this.
  4. Michael Morris

Our defense definite. I would also say a start now capable rookie if Tanny can't go or return to pre-injury effectiveness. I think our running game got better and just needs more tweaking(coaching or a personal change or two on the o-line but not a major rebuild.

5. royalshank

royalshank Practice Squad All-Pro Finheaven VIP Donator

A lot of crappy QBs in the post season this year - Tyron, Bortles, Foles, Keenum and some guys who are mediocre or unproven yet like Goff and Smith.

Really you just have Big Ben, Brady and Brees as truly elite QBs out of 12 teams - so much has had to do w QB injuries this season. I’d be shocked if one of those 3 doesn’t win it.

I used to support the argument that a great D and avg QB could get it done - with the rules so tilted toward the pass game I don’t think the Dilfers and heck even Flacco’s can win the SB anymore.

Need to mess w the rules to walk this back in order to keep the product interesting.

BlueFin, Ben Had and Marino1313 like this.
  6. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 Paint on My Hands from Paintin the Perfect Picture Finheaven VIP Donator

Starts with putting together an offensive line that doesn't need half a season to gel.

You get that, you score more points, you have a better run game, you have more time of possession, you have better field position and the defense by default improves.

The D has been gathering young talent. . . . That OLine needs to be a strength for it all to come together.

7. Michael Morris

I'm meaning drafting the best prospect out there in either the 1st or 2nd round. Maybe even trading up. I'm not evaluating game film so not my job to decide who. I stay in my lane as a fan.

SuperMarksBros. and DolfanDuBbZ~ like this.
  8. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

Watching BUF-JAX should tell all. Defense, defense, defense. That should be our priority in the next two drafts.

Fit a TE and RB in there and we're set.

TheWozz, Vaark and Albert Romano like this.
  9. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

Give me two interior linemen and a TE. I rather have a built up offensive line and talent for a QB turning 30 With a bum knee. As for QB drafting, not gonna happen this year. They are all in with tannehill.

10. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

QB play for the season has been at one of it's lowest points ever.

rickd13 and royalshank like this.
  11. Michael Morris

Defense is nice but either one of those teams could of been up by a lot more if they had competent qb's. If the Jags play good D next week and play the same ole offensive the Steelers will beat them by two touchdowns easily. You are asking too much for a defensive to play that close to the vest. There aren't many 2000 Ravens or 2002 Bucs defensive's.

DolfanDuBbZ~ likes this.
  12. Michael Scott

Michael Scott A True Fan

An elite defense and running game can get you into divisional round of the playoffs with Blake Bortles as the QB. Enough said.

Replace Bortles with Tannehill and next week would be their first playoff game.

13. royalshank

Brutal. Bortles and Taylor were hard to digest today. And I love a defensive battle. But not QB ineptitude. I thought Romo was going to vomit on multiple occasions.

FinaticalFinfan and Dolphins81 like this.
  14. royalshank

this. Rule changes have killed the sport. The possibility of anyone winning it all is pretty much dead. Those QBs wouldn’t sniff the Lombardi today - either would Simms, Hosenfefeer, theisman, Rypien etc. Goodell can rot in hell.

15. Albert Romano

Albert Romano Super Donator Super Donator Finheaven VIP

I couldn’t help but thinking as Romo was calling that game, what was going through his mind watching thay QB play.

16. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Top notch defense to go with a good o-line and running game.

17. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Finheaven VIP Donator

Romo didn't exactly light it up himself come playoff time.

vere76 likes this.
  18. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

which makes it even more frustrating that every team but Miami makes Taylor look like garbage.

19. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Taylor and Bortels made Cutler look good. Lol.

Albert Romano, rickd13 and royalshank like this.
  20. royalshank

Infuriating how we let those guys get comfortable against us - all the time.

21. superphin

superphin Starter Finheaven VIP

The NFL competition committee comprised of 2 owners, 2 team presidents, 3 GM's and 3 head coaches is in charge of rule changes which than must be approved by 24 of 32 Owners.

22. royalshank

Yes - they need to stop ****ing w things. My guess is the NFL rule book is like an encyclopedia as compared to the other big sports. Too many rules. Too many stoppages and zebra conferences. I must say - not sure if the stats will support it - that it felt like the refs swallowed their whistles so far in the playoffs.

23. elite14eva

elite14eva Yashu Mane!!! Donator

By the way I don't know how true this is but someone said that gase said that Matt Burke would be back next season has anyone heard that for sure?

24. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

Defense wins championships, we must get better on D in both pass rush and lb.

Michael Scott likes this.
  25. kingfin23

kingfin23 This is the Year

True, Hoping Harris will get better. 1 sack is not the direction I was hoping for. Don't look good.

26. royalshank

I think he had a whopping 2 sacks.

27. artdnj

artdnj Time is Now Finheaven VIP

Better see a huge bump in that area from him in 18.

28. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

'If Miami could extend Harris right now they would.

29. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Well-Known Member

Super impressed with Goff and he rarely saw the field.

30. rickd13

rickd13 Scout Team

The easy way to fix this, in my opinion, is to eliminate the ridiculous and antiquated spot foul pass interference rule. Make it a ten or fifteen yard penalty and an automatic first down. Being a spot foul is way to penal in this modern era of the passing offense NFL. Maybe in the 70's when the league was struggling to provide excitement in the passing game it made sense, but right now that rule is absurd. The saddest about it though, is that it isn't even discussed as a possibility of changing. This rule has made the game a farce. It's almost like watching WWE wrestling.

SkapePhin and royalshank like this.
  31. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer Tape Guys vs Analytics Guys Finheaven VIP Donator

He was the best QB in the stadium and he knew it.

royalshank and Albert Romano like this.
  32. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Dak Prescott last season vs this season is an instructive argument for prioritizing of building an above average and durable OL. (and having a world class RB to hand off to doesn't hurt either)

tannehill top 5 from clean pocket.jpg

33. Brumdog45

Brumdog45 A True Fan

In the 6 playoff games he played in, he completed 61% of his passes and 8 touchdown passes to 2 interceptions. Believe it or not, his rating in the postseason is 4 points higher than Brady's. He did have a couple of spectacular end of the game failures but had a rep as a choker that probably wasn't deserved.

SuperMarksBros. likes this.
  34. Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger A True Fan

A few years ago all four road teams won the opening round playoff games. I think it was 2015. You had quarterbacks like Rodgers, Wilson and Roethlisberger on the road. I forget who the other one was. That was when I threw out my traditional playoff betting system because the career YPPA Differential numbers did not match up with the numbers from 2015. I'm glad I did. Otherwise I would have had a flock of losers.

Normally those wild card games are more like today. I love games like Buffalo vs. Jacksonville because there is some similarity to the NFL I grew up with. Wonderfully physical and defensive minded. But while watching games like that it's impossible to ignore the reality of what an elite quarterback would do if placed in the same game. Those guys may command the salary of 3-4 top tier players. They are worth more like 8-10 salaries.

Nothing is a similar substitute.

royalshank likes this.
  35. superphin

superphin Starter Finheaven VIP

In the 3rd and 4th QTR for Romo's his 6 playoff games he had a QB rating of 75.3 down from his 93.0 rating , a 2.5 int% (up from 1.1%), and a 1.3 TD% (down from 4.3%)
    In the 3rd and 4th QTR for Brady he had a QB rating of 89.7 up from 89.0 rating (albeit not much), a 2.3 int% (unchanged) and a 4.7 TD% (down from 4.8%)

I like Tony Romo and feel he was underrated but maybe it was a little bit deserved.

36. hoops

hoops exited stage left

I hope bills fans enjoyed that playoff showing because without a qb it was completely worthless. Enjoy that 2nd place schedule and climb for a qb from 22ish.

At least Jax has a top 5 d to make it exciting even if the qb has a play caller that doesn’t trust him at all and has resorted to playing cam newton as a ball carrier

New England has to be laughing at the afc road to tbe super bowl.

SkapePhin and rickd13 like this.
  37. phins_4_ever

phins_4_ever E12 FH Tailgate Gang Moderator Finheaven VIP

I think they have two picks #22 and #23 (or it was #21 and 22) plus two 2nd rounders. They might package their first rounders and a later round pick to move up in the draft.
    I think only 3 teams are really in need of a QB in the top 10: Browns, Jets and maybe the Giants (Manning's successor).
    Though knowing the Browns they may use both top 5 picks on QBs because...well..they are the Browns. :laugh

For the Bills to move up they either use both #1 picks which could get them Tampa's pick at 7 or they use one 1st round pick but multiple late rounders (not sure which picks they exactly have).

If I am the Browns GM I would trade my #5 pick. Pick the QB at #1 and let the Bills give me multiple picks for my #5 or picks and a player of need. With 4 picks in the first 2 rounds the Bills are in a good position to trade up. Question is will they find a trading partner.

38. hoops

hoops exited stage left

Bills aren’t moving far with that package

Good d exploits all Tyrods pocket play holes in his game. I give them credit for knowing that already thus benching Taylor like they did but now it’s an uphill climb to get in position for one.

Only thing I’d do with the bills assets offer is use it for leverage with other teams.

Mayfield may come to them same for Rudolph and Jackson. So maybe they luck out. I wouldn’t bet my nfl life on any of tbem as it stands

39. Chuck-182

Chuck-182 Well-Known Member

I think I agree. You build an elite defense (not easy I know) and a very strong running game then I think even a guy like Tannehill could bring us a trophy. Not that any of that is easy to do though.

40. BSQ

BSQ Scout Team

The fix for our oline can be done. First in round 1 draft the monster Guard from Notre Dame, Quenton Nelson. In round 2 draft Ohio State C/G Billy Price. Price is a plug and play guard day one and Pouncey's backup/successor. Open with Tunsil, Nelson, Pouncey, Price and James. We have depth behind these guys on the team already. Guys like Asiata, Jake Brendel, and Anthony Steen are quality depth imo. If we move on from James we've seen Jesse Davis play pretty well at RT. I think oline has to be handled because the fan base isn't going to put up with another year of the oline being submarginal. On top of that, we have Tannehill returning from serious injury and we don't need to get him reinjured. I hope this new oline Coach Washburn brings some badly need disipline and toughness to this group. Imagine running through holes created by Nelson and Tunsil on the left side, Drake would think he died and went to heaven.