how are GMs judged internally? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

how are GMs judged internally?

isaacjunk

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
Just curious if GMs are ever evaluated not just on their top picks, but instead on their entire draft board. Problem with top picks is there are so few, it takes many years to get a decent sample size. But really, if you say look at the top 3 rounds, after 3 years you should be able to see how yr 1 fared...all ~100 slots not just the 3 picks he took.

Jmo, I think there should be a school where potential gms go into for 4 years and have to document all evaluations

That way as an owner and staff I can go through all your hits and misses and hire based on record

I've also always wondered how scouts are evaluated. In essence, the GM is only as good as his scouts.

Overall, I think Grier has done pretty well. But how do you miss on Jefferson and take Jackson instead? Some of these seem like no brainers to anyone watching college football.

I've also always wondered how scouts are evaluated. In essence, the GM is only as good as his scouts.

Overall, I think Grier has done pretty well. But how do you miss on Jefferson and take Jackson instead? Some of these seem like no brainers to anyone watching college football.
They’re judged by their GM

You are looking for "top talent" evaluators for the "NFL." We dont have any. That's the problem. When you have a talent evaluator who took Tua over Herbert, who assembled this Oline through draft, who went into season with Gaskin and Ahmed at RB, you have a serious issue at GM. You have someone who is nowhere near competent.

You are looking for "top talent" evaluators for the "NFL." We dont have any. That's the problem. When you have a talent evaluator who took Tua over Herbert, who assembled this Oline through draft, who went into season with Gaskin and Ahmed at RB, you have a serious issue at GM. You have someone who is nowhere near competent.

As long as the owner and the morons in the fanbase continue to believe the league hands out trophies for trading away your best players and having a little money to spend once every 4 or 5 years, the fanbase will continue to have the same conversations on message boards - and keep repeating the same nonsense to each other.

Jmo, I think there should be a school where potential gms go into for 4 years and have to document all evaluations

That way as an owner and staff I can go through all your hits and misses and hire based on record
Interestingly some of the famous posters on this board have listed their boards..would be a cool quantitative project to come up with a statistically-meaningful system for comparing any such board against the NFL to see how they fare...

Jackson was a projection based on need.

Most mistakes are one of the two, this one looks to be both.

The team needed OL help so they reached for a need, and Jackson was looked at as a guy with a high ceiling due to several factors.It could have worked out, and it still might but the 1st round really should be BPA.

As for Jefferson, he was a legit middle of R1 type guy but no one thought he would be the player he has become.I think he was underrated because of how good Chase was as a freshman.People figured if some freshman was the top WR on the team how good could Jefferson be?

If their trajectories continue those two are going be considered the best WR pair in College History.

Jackson was a projection based on need.

Most mistakes are one of the two, this one looks to be both.

The team needed OL help so they reached for a need, and Jackson was looked at as a guy with a high ceiling due to several factors.It could have worked out, and it still might but the 1st round really should be BPA.

As for Jefferson, he was a legit middle of R1 type guy but no one thought he would be the player he has become.I think he was underrated because of how good Chase was as a freshman.People figured if some freshman was the top WR on the team how good could Jefferson be?

If their trajectories continue those two are going be considered the best WR pair in College History.
No doubt. What an incredible pair of receivers.

Back
Top Bottom