How bad are Crowder's knees? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How bad are Crowder's knees?

infiltrateib said:
Regarding his injuries, Channing was recently examined by doctor James Andrews, who had this to say about Channing's knees."Both knees are stable at this time with no evidence of any degenerative changes. There is no reason this young man cannot continue to play football, even at the highest level, with the current status of his knees. I feel confident the patient is not at any increased risk of having additional ACL tears."

Regarding this doctor, James Andrews (I researched whether this guy was a paid quack and found this on an independent site, not the one with that report):

Dr. James Andrews is the Co-Founder of the Alabama Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center, the medical director for numerous sports teams, and a leading pioneer in sports medicine. He is widely recognized for his role in advancing the field of knee, shoulder and elbow surgery. He has mentored over 125 fellows throughout the course of his academic career, and is considered one of the foremost orthopaedic surgeons and sports doctors in the world. Over the course of his career, he has operated on a remarkable number of prominent athletes, including Troy Aikman, Roger Clemens, and Jack Nicklaus.

I know of Dr. Andrews and he is an incredible surgeon. I am a physical therapist and did some work in Birmingham with some of his patients.

Heres the breakdown on Channing Crowder:

Overall: Crowder was only a sophomore but he is eligible for the 2005 draft because he took a year off after graduating from high school to rehabilitate a knee injury. Crowder completed his career with 179 tackles, 13.5 of which were for a loss. He also had two sacks, recovered three fumbles, forced two fumbles and had one interception. In 2003, he led the nation in tackles by a freshman with 106. In 2004, Crowder played in nine games and finished third on the squad in tackles with 73. He has had trouble staying healthy -- knee injury in high school and arch injury that cost him playing time in 2004. He also has had problems staying out of trouble off of the field  served one-game suspensions in season openers of the 2003 and 2004 seasons due to separate altercations outside of a Gainesville night club. Overall, Crowder would have been better served returning to Florida for the 2005 season because he could have used the extra year to improve his bulk, lower-body strength, recognition skills and flexibility. A full season of keeping his nose clean off the field and staying healthy enough to play every game also would have helped to answer character and durability questions. However, despite those red flags, Crowder is still a gifted athlete with the frame to get bigger and a powerful striker as a tackler. He also possesses the athleticism to become an impact starter as an every-down inside linebacker in the NFL. Crowder is by no means a complete prospect yet but he has enough upside to gamble on late in the first round.

phinfan2003 said:
You're a Gator fan right? If you are, did you make this assessment keeping in mind his physical condition and without a Gator Goggles? I'm just asking cuz I''m trying to get an objective scoop.

I go to UF so I think I can help. From what I have seen, Crowder is good in passing situations put not that great when it comes to stopping the run. I have seen him miss tons of tackles. You guys can just like at pass Gator games to see him miss tackles. I think he can cover some of the best TE's in the NFL like Shockey, Gonzalez and Heap. He is twice as fast as Thomas, so he can make stops pending he don't take a bad angle and miss the tackle. The biggest knack I have with him is that he is not a sure tackler.

As fas as his knees are concerned, I haven't heard much about his knees being as bad as they were saying on ESPN. I know he missed a couple of games last season. But it didn't seem that serious. Just one of the usual injuries football players have.

when did he run his 4.7x for the 40?

this year's combine? post most recent surgery?

kiper made it sound like he can't walk let alone run - so im wondering.

thanks.

cuban_refugee said:
ACL injuries you can recover from and return to full form. It's more the off-field troubles i'm worried about. Remember Cecil Collins, Lawrence Phillips, Demetrius Underwood - we gambled -we lost!

What was the compensation we gave up for Lawrence Phillips and Demetrius Underwood .... exactly! It's not really a gamble if it doesn't cost you anything. Channing isn't anywhere near the level the three names you mentioned in terms of off field issues. All 3 of those guys had SERIOUS mental issues.

I dont like players with character and injury prone histories but in this case its a worthwhile risk given the spot we are drafting him.It seems all of the top bad character players like Incognito,Henry and Crowder were bunched together.

has first round ability but with free-agent knees and character...total *** off the field ..repeated fights in gainsville

Sporting News had that quote about the Doctor saying Crowder is fine to play football...they even had him going 32nd overall to NE in their mock.

caneaddict said:
What was the compensation we gave up for Lawrence Phillips and Demetrius Underwood .... exactly! It's not really a gamble if it doesn't cost you anything. Channing isn't anywhere near the level the three names you mentioned in terms of off field issues. All 3 of those guys had SERIOUS mental issues.

You might be right. Would you have preferred a QB at this pick?

Channing is a major hitter and playmaker. He arrives at the ball carrier with a serious attitude and the intention (by some reports) to hurt the ball carrier.

Sounds like a nice pick up for an ILB/MLB.

cuban_refugee said:
You might be right. Would you have preferred a QB at this pick?

No, I'm happy with Cowder.

CrunchTime said:
I dont like players with character and injury prone histories but in this case its a worthwhile risk given the spot we are drafting him.It seems all of the top bad character players like Incognito,Henry and Crowder were bunched together.

I wouldnt worry about his character because Saban will get Crowder's act together real fast.

CrunchTime said:

What I find odd is how Saban was talking about drafting good football players and high character people. The way so many of the posters describe his character, he sounds like an a@@hole and doesn't really follow the good football player/high character person.

Channing Crowder has been healthy in Florida. It was when he was in High School that I think he hurt himself. He has gotten into some fights in college, but I think Roth has as well.

Dr. James Andrews is a frikkin' genius. I am surprised there are sports fans out there who have never heard of him. He basically does every shoulder and knee surgery in sports. Baseball, Football, Basketball, wrestling,, everyone. He is in a class by himself and is widely considered to be the best. If he says he is ok, than the man is ok.

I like the pick. think about this, At any given time we now have the following people to lineup at LB:

Thomas, Seau, Taylor, Bowens, Roth, Spragan, Crowder, Pope, Moore, Ayanbadejo.

Saban has gotten us depth and young players on defense who can take over when the Thomas's, Taylor's, Carter's and the like are let go in a few years.

Back
Top Bottom