How Bill Walsh Evaluates the Quarterback position | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How Bill Walsh Evaluates the Quarterback position

dolphintodd

Club Member
Reaction score
http://www.sportsxchange.com/DS97/WALSH/walsh2qb.htm

An interesting read, what I got out of this was the following:
If throwing a ball were the only aspect of playing quarterback, then this would be an easy position to evaluate. However, because of the dynamic role he plays on the team, a quarterback must have physical, mental, emotional and instinctive traits that go well beyond the mere ability to pass a football.

Now, he must be courageous and intensely competitive. He will be the one on the field who is running the team. His teammates must believe in him or it may not matter how much physical ability he has. If he is courageous and intensely competitive, then other players will know and respect that. This will be a foundation for becoming a leader.

Mobility and an ability to avoid a pass rush are crucial. Some quarterbacks use this mobility within the pocket just enough so they are able to move and pass when they "feel" a rush. But overall quickness and agility can make a remarkable difference.

The single trait that separates great quarterbacks from good quarterbacks is the ability to make the great, spontaneous decision, especially at a crucial time. The clock is running down and your team is five points behind. The play that was called has broken down and 22 players are moving in almost unpredictable directions all over the field. This is where the great quarterback uses his experience, vision, mobility and what we will call spontaneous genius. He makes something good happen.

What I found most interesting is that Bill did NOT mention a single statistic. Did not mention completion percentage or TD to Interception ratio. The problem with statistics is they don't tell you when something happened.

Being able to extend a play is critical, I agree. Big Ben has made a career doing this. Danny used to slide in the pocket. Guys, we are about 1.5 seconds at the most from being a great offense. Maybe we gain .75 seconds from a better line and the other half with better qb play
, shifting and moving around, reading where the pressure will be at

Well, that description sure as hell doesn't sound like our QB...

Back
Top Bottom