How did you become a Dolphins fan? and are you a diehard?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinatic1399, Sep 29, 2011.

1. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

I was born and raised in Syracuse, NY, and still live here, my Grandpa moved from Syr to Miami in the early 60's, my dad would go down there and stay with him weeks at a time and they would go to some of the games at the orange bowl, they actually went to a couple of the 72 perfect season games, well anyway, my dad became a fan and when me and my brother were babies he would dress us in dolphin gear and stuff lol and then when I was around 4 or 5 years old my grandpa mailed up personalized autographs from Dan Marino, to brian, to mike! and ever since then I was hooked and now I'm a diehard, been a phinatic for about 22 years now, I wish I wasn't so emotionally invested in this team but I cant help it, when they lose on Sundays it takes me until at least Wednesday to get over the loss! But you would be surprised there are a lot of dolphin fans up here! what about everybody else?

damaster21 and miamiron like this.
  2. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Taking care of business and working overtime Moderator Finheaven VIP

Great story.

3. MiZFiT

MiZFiT FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

If you are a part of FH, I would think you can call yourself a 'diehard'.

*Demi*God* and Dajesus like this.
  4. syborg

syborg Rookie

I was born and live in the UK and I had never heard of the NFL until late one night in 1983 soon after Channel 4 began broadcasting here, they were showing the Redskins - Dolphins SB XVII

Dolphins lost, but I was hooked and picked the fins as my team. . and now here in 2011 after all this time i still follow the fins and am a passionate ambassador for the sport here in the UK. . preaching it wherever I can.

Loving the International Series so we brits can get some of the NFL over here, been to all 4 games 2007-2010 and going again this year.

damaster21, miamiron and Soca casual like this.
  5. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

The all natural way. Born, raised, grew up in South Florida.

phish and miamiron like this.
  6. armyphin

armyphin A True Fan

More importantly, is the nun all natural?

Me = Burning in hell someday :)

7. dolfan2909

dolfan2909 Well-Known Member

two words: DAN MARINO!!! and yes of course I am a diehard, anyone who still follows this team closely year in and year out despite being given every reason not to is a diehard in my opinion, I love all sports and the fins are by far the most heartbreaking team i follow, but I will love them till the end and hope things get better, I always say that my favorite teams are like my children, I don't love them because they're good or successful, I love them because they're mine! and that's how I feel about the fins, here's to a brighter future!

damaster21 and miamiron like this.
  8. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

I was about 9 or 10 yrs old and didnt know n e thing about the NFL having moved to the US only a few yrs before. I was a big basketball/Magic Johnson fan. I was watching ESPN about the 1972 season during the b-ball offseason and it peaked my interest in the NFL and seeing the whole undefeated thing was awesome. Not really knowing any teams I picked the dolphins since they were the only team I really knew and that was that.

miamiron likes this.
  9. R_t_Kraken

R_t_Kraken A True Fan

Keep your eyes to yourself or i'll show you hell.

10. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

back in 72 they were showing a Dolphins game while I was at a friends house...it was early in the year(maybe mid)and they were losing but my friend told me they hadn't lost a game yet so I started rooting for them right there....been a big fan ever since and back in 85 a girl at work started calling me Miami cause I was always talking about the team....in an instant everyone at work started calling me Danny Miami and to this day that's my nick name....my real name is Danny so it has nothing to do with Marino.....back in the day my week would be messed up if we lost but I don't let it get to me as much as I used to....love my Dolphins but God and family are way more important to me.

Ozzy rules!!

miamiron likes this.
  11. electrolyte

electrolyte Banned Hammered

it was a tradition to watch Dan Marino every sunday as I was growing up. ........ i joined in watching when i was around 8 years old.

12. Asicswrg85

Asicswrg85 A True Fan

My dad was one, so I was born into it but I became a diehard fan once I joined Finheaven and was able to follow the Dolphins everyday! Now I am on this website about 5-10 times a day and check Dolphins news hourly. Too bad the last few years have been so disappointing :-(

miamiron likes this.
  13. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Ever since i could grab a football I was a Miami fan. I even wore 13 in highschool. But Im a diehard in a way. I love tje Dolphins but i dont turn into a whiny ***** after they lose.

miamiron likes this.
  14. Njphinsfan

Njphinsfan A True Fan

Growing up in ny, my dad was a huge jets fan. I loved football but could not love the jets. I began to love the jets-dolphins rivalry and dan marino. The rest is history. I am a die hard phins fan living in nj. I follow every move made during the offseason, pay for directv nfl package so i don't miss a game, and fly down to miami for at least 1 game each year. Love them so much that my heart actually breaks during times like this! Sad, i know...

miamiron likes this.
  15. Fin Fan in Cali

Fin Fan in Cali Joanne Shaw Taylor Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

Growing up in New York my dad was a huge Raiders fan when Madden was coaching and I became a Dolphins fan in 1970 at the age of 6 just to piss him off. I can't tell you how many times the Dolphins and Raiders played and I got sent to my room. I always stirred the pot, and my dad was a real sore loser.

16. MiamiMuss

MiamiMuss A True Fan

Im from Canandaigua New York and your story is exactly like mine.The SB was the 1st NFL game i got to watch and from there Ive become a DieHard Dolphins Fan.

miamiron likes this.
  17. Mage_Phin

Mage_Phin All in for Philbin.

Moved to Miami when I was 4. I became a fan of the Dolphins/Hurricanes when I was 5 or 6, a Heat/Marlins fan when I was around 8, Panthers fan when I was around 14 or 15.

miamiron likes this.
  18. semperkillz

semperkillz Well-Known Member

Born and raised in Miami so I love every team in Miami. Like someone said earlier if you are on the forums of an 0-3 team who has won nothing in MANY years you must be diehard.

miamiron likes this.
  19. FinaticalFinfan

FinaticalFinfan Finatical Finfan Finheaven VIP

Lived in the Tampa Bay area since 1969. When I was 8 yrs. old playing P.A.L. football, my first practice, my coach looked at me and said "Offensive tackle!". I was a pretty big kid, always had to strip down to my undies to make weight. So during the first 'real' practice, I spent learning how to block. Then at the end of practice, we were doing 20 yrd. windsprints and I was beating everyone by 3 to 5 yrds. It was then that the coach had a different plan for me. I was now the new fullback/tailback. I liked the contact and even though I could probably get around you, I liked to get low and run you over. The coaches would even comment that I could have avoided the hit, but after a while they stopped even commenting and just let me do my thing....they nicknamed me Csonka. Then and there I became a Dolphins fan and haven't stopped being one for 34 yrs..

miamiron likes this.
  20. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

Born and raised in West Palm Beach, FL. Went to my first home game when I was little and Dan the Man signed my football. Hardcore Fin fan ever since.

miamiron likes this.
  21. NY8123

NY8123 Sophisticated Redneck Administrator Super Donator Finheaven VIP Donator

I used to get drunk in Canandaigua but there isn't many areas in the finger lakes I haven't gotten drunk to be honest.

I am a die hard Miami fan, I **** with Jets and Bills fans constantly, like it's my job. Being from NY it leads to many interesting comments

Yesterday a girl I am really good friends with but really knows nothing about football other then she likes tail gating, emails me and says " do you and your girl want to go with us to the Bills/Jets game, we have fifteen tickets" to which I respond "I would rather buy the tickets and burn them just so some Jets or Bills fan could go to the game".

miamiron likes this.
  22. ojmcduffy

ojmcduffy Seasoned Veteran

My brother and my uncle jumped on the fins bandwagon during the 72 season before i was born. Then growing up id want to watch cartoons on sunday morning, but no my brother made me watch football. His team was the fins so i had to watch them. Now some 30 years later i live, sleep , and breathe the fins and he moved to knoxville to become a titans fan. Now i can't imagine clinging on to any other team. It's in my blood. I am proud to be a son of the house of shula. I suck at fantasy football because the only game i really watch on sunday is the fins game so i know nothing about the rest of the league.

miamiron likes this.
  23. srpdolphin

srpdolphin Rookie

I moved from India to North Carolina when I was 4. I started watching football the next year (1971-1972) and my dad was a Cowboys fan because he went to college at the University of Dallas.

He cheered for Dallas in SB VI and being the stubborn kid I was, I cheered for Miami just to spite him. It was a miserable few hours as Dallas beat the Dolphins, but the Dolphins became my team that day. It helped to cement it when they didn't lose again for over a year.

Now almost 40 years later, my wife and boys know to stay out of my way on the Sundays they lose, which happens way more then it should these days.

miamiron likes this.
  24. Wannstache

Wannstache Active Member

i followed dave wannstedt.. lol jk.

born and raised in miami.

diehard Dolphins, heat and marlins fan.

25. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Taking care of business and working overtime Moderator Finheaven VIP

Great stories. As a kid my dad took me to the very first game. Joe Auer returned the opening kickoff for a TD and a real dolphin was doing slashes in the end zone just like in Ace Ventura. Hooked for life.

miamiron and Danny68 like this.
  26. Storm54

Storm54 Rookie

First football game I ever saw was the '85 Monday night game where Dan shredded the vaunted Bears defense. Was an amazing sight to see, been a diehard fan ever since. Sunday is football day, took me 12 years to teach my wife, if Miami is playing leave me the hell alone.

miamiron likes this.
  27. DisturbedShifty

DisturbedShifty Shifty Gold Administrator Finheaven VIP

I must say that I was not a Phins fan from start. When I was a kid, growing up in Colorado, I judged teams by their helmets. And as a kid, I hated the old Denver "D" logo. So I liked a bunch of team, the Dolphins included. The pro bowl was my favorite game to watch because all the helmets were on the field at once. Then about the early 90's I settled on Miami because they were the only team with unique colors. I didn't really follow football TOO closely until High School. Then from that point on, I was a die hard fan.

miamiron likes this.
  28. beanh8er

beanh8er FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Born and raised a Dolphin fan.

miamiron likes this.
  29. NCPhinatic

NCPhinatic Rookie

Born in Miami, even came a month early so I could be there at the begining of football season.

30. fatkirstyalley

fatkirstyalley Donut Enthusiast

My entire family are Pats fans......rebelious. And Yes I am die hard....Im fact you can call me a Zombie I have died so many times.

Ray R likes this.
  31. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

Born in Miami, was back there off and on til the time I was 7.. Been leaving in Cuse since..

Yea I am a diehard fan..When we lose I am depressed...I dont even wanna watch highlights of any game..

I would say I have been a diehard fan since around 2004 tho..

Just starting getting NFL ticket around 3 years ago so could only watch games here and there..which sucked.

32. JJW1339

JJW1339 OLD SCHOOL

I grew up in New York and had an older brother who was a big jets fan. I loved football and did not get along with my brother, so I could not bring myself to go with the stinking jets, so in 1966 a new team came into existence so went went all in with the Dolphins. You talk about fights in our house during football season.....Its been a roller coaster ride ever since 1966. Have stuck with them and will continue to do so, its just "my team", good or bad....

33. WeVie

WeVie Champion Of The Beards!

I too became a Dolphins fan because of my grandpa. Am I die hard? I watch them each and every week no matter what and this will make 14 seasons that I have not missed a game. I have only been to two games because that is something that is not in my budget very often. I have a closet full of Dolphins clothes. I have been an avid football card collector for many years and have over 1000 Marino cards and close to 5000 Dolphins cards. I have countless other cards from other teams and players but anyway. I also have two Marino autos, one which I got in person from him.

So, am I die hard?

34. GoonBoss

GoonBoss Finheaven Templar Super Donator Donator

Back in '73 when I was around 6 or 7 my best freind liked the Dolphins.
    I liked the colors and lots of the players, so I adopted the Phins.

I've lived and dies with them ever since.

I dunno if I'm a diehard. I keep up with team news
    and watch as many games as I can, but the emotional
    investment I had just isn't there now.

I will say that as the years stack up you come to realize
    that in the overall scheme of things football just isn't that
    important.

TannDaMan17 likes this.
  35. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

My family moved to Miami when I was 3 months old. Raised in Miami, grew up a Dolphins fan...been one all my life. Unfortunately I'm a diehard...I can't break away from this team even though they keep throwing crap in my face since they forced Shula out.

36. WeVie

WeVie Champion Of The Beards!

You said what I fell. With all the losing we have had to endure, my emotional investment just isn't what it used to be. I used to run out and buy new player jerseys all the time as well as other Phins gear but I have only bought a few items in the last three years or so. The last new player jersey I bought was Ronnie Brown. I just stick with the Marino and Zach Thomas jerseys now.

Sometimes I feel like I still watch every week because that is what I am supposed to do.

37. dirkey

dirkey FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

Thanks to @datruth55 for finding this for me, I mentioned I thought it'd be an interesting thread, and unsurprisingly it's been done a number of times on here apparently. Maybe resurrecting such an old thread on here is frowned upon? Apologies if so.

My own story - I am absolutely a diehard, albeit I haven't been following the team as long as a number of you.

I'm Irish. I wasn't particularly into football until just over 10 years ago. I started watching it, really enjoying it, but hadn't picked a team. Then came the first international series game - Dolphins & Giants @ Wembley. Myself and a bunch of my friends went to it. Other friends of mine were also at the game, who are huge Dolphins fans (I didn't know this at the time), although I didn't meet up with them.

Anyway, I'm at the game (horrible, horrible game) and for some reason I feel an affinity for the Dolphins. Not sure why, but they immediately had a connection for me. On top of that, I realised they stunk. That was, as you all know, the lovely 1-15 year. I knew their record was really bad. I'm also a big soccer fan, have been all my life. My team is Manchester United. As you can imagine you get a lot of talk about only following them because they're successful etc (not so much in recent years of course). So I decided there and then, between my random afFINity (see what I did there) for the Dolphins, and the fact they sucked, I said "This is my team. No-one can ever claim I only follow these guys because they're successful, I'm coming in at the bottom". And oh man, have I been at the bottom for a while now. Ha.

My other friends who were at that game? I constantly give one of them crap, telling him he could have saved me. He knew what I was getting myself in for, he could have told me to pick a different side.

But you know what? I wouldn't change it for the world. I love this Franchise, just as much as I hate it most years. :)

Fin Mex, Soca casual and Fins1971 like this.
  38. Dolphins del

Dolphins del Active Member

Been a fan of American football since in first showed in the UK in 83 watched the highlight seen the dolphin logo and that was my team will die a dolphin fan

Fin Mex and Soca casual like this.
  39. superphin

superphin close your eyes, see that? no your eyes are closed Finheaven VIP

The year was 1987 I was a young whippersnapper at the age of 2 years old. My immigrant parents escaping a corrupt and falling government decided to move us to the states, Miami was the pick, my older brothers followed and watched throughout the Marino years of the early 90's and I ignorant to the greatness that was in front of me had no care to focus my eyes on our beautiful 13 inch turn knob tv. Fast forward to 00-01 and after a rough bout with puberty, I enjoyed football nay I consumed football. Moreover once internet became mainstream I dove deep into our history and have never looked back. Found this site in 01-02 as a teenager, joined in 03, had a son 3 years ago and my first purchase when i found out we were pregnant was a Ryan Tanneill jersey that he proudly wears every Dolphins game. Finactic in the making like his father before him.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Fin Mex and dirkey like this.
  40. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Told mine before but here it is again. Watched my first Super Bowl back in 1971. Didn't really have a team at the time but I always like to root for the underdog. So I picked Miami over Dallas. Even though I was wrong that day I was rewarded the following year with the perfect season and Super Bowl victory. Been a fan ever since. At some point they have to win again and the long wait is going to make it heavenly. Or I will be in heaven when it happens.