How did you become a Dolphins fan? and are you a diehard? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How did you become a Dolphins fan? and are you a diehard?

Born in Miami, was back there off and on til the time I was 7.. Been leaving in Cuse since..

Yea I am a diehard fan..When we lose I am depressed...I dont even wanna watch highlights of any game..

I would say I have been a diehard fan since around 2004 tho..

Just starting getting NFL ticket around 3 years ago so could only watch games here and there..which sucked.

I grew up in New York and had an older brother who was a big jets fan. I loved football and did not get along with my brother, so I could not bring myself to go with the stinking jets, so in 1966 a new team came into existence so went went all in with the Dolphins. You talk about fights in our house during football season.....Its been a roller coaster ride ever since 1966. Have stuck with them and will continue to do so, its just "my team", good or bad....

I too became a Dolphins fan because of my grandpa. Am I die hard? I watch them each and every week no matter what and this will make 14 seasons that I have not missed a game. I have only been to two games because that is something that is not in my budget very often. I have a closet full of Dolphins clothes. I have been an avid football card collector for many years and have over 1000 Marino cards and close to 5000 Dolphins cards. I have countless other cards from other teams and players but anyway. I also have two Marino autos, one which I got in person from him.

So, am I die hard?

Back in '73 when I was around 6 or 7 my best freind liked the Dolphins.
I liked the colors and lots of the players, so I adopted the Phins.

I've lived and dies with them ever since.

I dunno if I'm a diehard. I keep up with team news
and watch as many games as I can, but the emotional
investment I had just isn't there now.

I will say that as the years stack up you come to realize
that in the overall scheme of things football just isn't that
important.

My family moved to Miami when I was 3 months old. Raised in Miami, grew up a Dolphins fan...been one all my life. Unfortunately I'm a diehard...I can't break away from this team even though they keep throwing crap in my face since they forced Shula out.

Back in '73 when I was around 6 or 7 my best freind liked the Dolphins.
I liked the colors and lots of the players, so I adopted the Phins.

I've lived and dies with them ever since.

I dunno if I'm a diehard. I keep up with team news
and watch as many games as I can, but the emotional
investment I had just isn't there now.

I will say that as the years stack up you come to realize
that in the overall scheme of things football just isn't that
important.

You said what I fell. With all the losing we have had to endure, my emotional investment just isn't what it used to be. I used to run out and buy new player jerseys all the time as well as other Phins gear but I have only bought a few items in the last three years or so. The last new player jersey I bought was Ronnie Brown. I just stick with the Marino and Zach Thomas jerseys now.

Sometimes I feel like I still watch every week because that is what I am supposed to do.

Thanks to @datruth55 for finding this for me, I mentioned I thought it'd be an interesting thread, and unsurprisingly it's been done a number of times on here apparently. Maybe resurrecting such an old thread on here is frowned upon? Apologies if so.

My own story - I am absolutely a diehard, albeit I haven't been following the team as long as a number of you.

I'm Irish. I wasn't particularly into football until just over 10 years ago. I started watching it, really enjoying it, but hadn't picked a team. Then came the first international series game - Dolphins & Giants @ Wembley. Myself and a bunch of my friends went to it. Other friends of mine were also at the game, who are huge Dolphins fans (I didn't know this at the time), although I didn't meet up with them.

Anyway, I'm at the game (horrible, horrible game) and for some reason I feel an affinity for the Dolphins. Not sure why, but they immediately had a connection for me. On top of that, I realised they stunk. That was, as you all know, the lovely 1-15 year. I knew their record was really bad. I'm also a big soccer fan, have been all my life. My team is Manchester United. As you can imagine you get a lot of talk about only following them because they're successful etc (not so much in recent years of course). So I decided there and then, between my random afFINity (see what I did there) for the Dolphins, and the fact they sucked, I said "This is my team. No-one can ever claim I only follow these guys because they're successful, I'm coming in at the bottom". And oh man, have I been at the bottom for a while now. Ha.

My other friends who were at that game? I constantly give one of them crap, telling him he could have saved me. He knew what I was getting myself in for, he could have told me to pick a different side.

But you know what? I wouldn't change it for the world. I love this Franchise, just as much as I hate it most years. :)

Been a fan of American football since in first showed in the UK in 83 watched the highlight seen the dolphin logo and that was my team will die a dolphin fan

The year was 1987 I was a young whippersnapper at the age of 2 years old. My immigrant parents escaping a corrupt and falling government decided to move us to the states, Miami was the pick, my older brothers followed and watched throughout the Marino years of the early 90's and I ignorant to the greatness that was in front of me had no care to focus my eyes on our beautiful 13 inch turn knob tv. Fast forward to 00-01 and after a rough bout with puberty, I enjoyed football nay I consumed football. Moreover once internet became mainstream I dove deep into our history and have never looked back. Found this site in 01-02 as a teenager, joined in 03, had a son 3 years ago and my first purchase when i found out we were pregnant was a Ryan Tanneill jersey that he proudly wears every Dolphins game. Finactic in the making like his father before him.

Last edited:
Told mine before but here it is again. Watched my first Super Bowl back in 1971. Didn't really have a team at the time but I always like to root for the underdog. So I picked Miami over Dallas. Even though I was wrong that day I was rewarded the following year with the perfect season and Super Bowl victory. Been a fan ever since. At some point they have to win again and the long wait is going to make it heavenly. Or I will be in heaven when it happens.

Moved to Ft Lauderdale when I was a kid and fell in love with the Dolphins, been a fan since 87 or 88.

Several guys from upstate NY,, me too. My family moved from Canada to Liverpool NY, just outside of Syracuse just in time for the blizzard of 66. Never seen so much snow, 104 inches in two days. While I was there was when Csonka was drafted by Miami so, I started watching Miami games whenever I could. The weather was always perfect in stark contrast to Canada and the snow belt of NY. I made a pledge to someday move to Florida and have palm trees and a pool in my yard. We later moved to Tidewater Virginia and finally Fort Lauderdale. I went on to Costa Rica after I retired but, I still tune in every Sunday. I like other teams too but, not like Miami. We have history.

Parents grew up rooting for the Phins so I did too, been a fan all 25 years of life. Never missed a single game until a few years ago. The total irrelevancy of the team has deflated my fandom quite a bit. Hopefully they turn it around before I give up completely lol

Local team on the TV almost every Sunday(hated those rare blackouts back then).
Bunch of stars to root for in Marino, Thomas, Madison, Surtain, Taylor etc... Later on Williams
And then some guys like Trace Armstrong, Bowens, Webb, Marion etc who weren't stars but played very well for us.

The first game I ever watched was the 49ers vs Dolphins Super Bowl. Everyone in my house picked the 49ers, and being defiant I picked Miami. We lost but I became a fan. It grew the following year, and so on. I am from Albany NY, so it was hard to see them growing up before the internet and direct tv. In the 90s i became an insane fan, and it hasnt stopped. In 2000 I moved to S Florida for a few years, and my first playoff game I got to see live was against Indy when Lamar Smith blew up. After a lot of traveling the country for a while I live in Albany NY again, and have been a Sunday Ticket subscriber for years. I got to go to Miami in 2016 to see the 49ers game. This past year I got to see JT inducted in Canton, and road games at NYJ, and Carolina. My fiancé is still getting used to the obsession, but Is a great sport, and let me name my 2nd dog Larry Csonka. Oh yeah I have a Dolphin tattoo on my quad, and been a Finheaven member since 2001, so I think I am a die hard.

Back
Top Bottom