How does Miami defend TEs from now on?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by BESS4LAST, Sep 14, 2011.

1. BESS4LAST

BESS4LAST AFC EAST CHAMPS

Obviously they still haven't found an answer to stop TEs from pooping on us... What do they do now?

2. BESS4LAST

Will they start Clemons this week?

3. Slim

Slim VIPeezy

Who knows... Tony claims Reshad had a heck of a game.

And to answer the OP - i expect us to continue doing what we've done for the past 2 years. Let TEs walk all over us. Expect 100-150 Yard 1+TD performance week in week out.

4. Swantoon

Swantoon A True Fan

I don't know that they will be good against TEs, but I think the Pats make it very tough to defend their two TEs. Most teams only have one good receiving TE making it easier to match up. When you throw in Welker and Woodhead it makes it so you can't get very cute with your coverages and you just have to hope your safeties or LBs can cover the TEs. Also if we can get pressure with just 4 or 5 instead of having to send 6 or more it will allow us to bracket the elite TEs with a LB and a S.

5. LVfinfan19

LVfinfan19 Well-Known Member

TE's are the big issue. It seemed that everytime brady needed a first down, a TE was open with room to run. It needs to be fixed.

6. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

Coverage is all technique and effort..Sapp was poor last game with this..Yes he was burned more than once on effort alone...

If teams are still throwing the ball down the seam in the middle of the field maybe we should start double the top flight tight ends.. Or at least play robber in the middle of the field...If Sean Smith and Vontae are so good they should be able to handle Wr's on the outside..

Can Jones effectivley fill the role of robber? or maybe Bell can..

7. Lord Of Miami

Lord Of Miami A True Fan

Clemons is hurt from what i heard.

Best way to stop the other teams TE would be to play them Man to Man with a LBer with a zone over the top.

8. zach8111

zach8111 Pro Bowler

you do realize that most teams dont have TWO TEs like gronkowski and hernedez, right? They might not shut down every teams TEs but they definately wont be as bad against other teams TEs

9. BESS4LAST

I'm tired of watching D playing off...when they should be BUMPIN/ JAMMIN at the
    Line.....I NEVER SEE THAT!

10. FinsNCanes

FinsNCanes 9-7

Doesn't help we were giving everyone 10 yard cushions. What's the deal with that....? Even when blitzing our corners are super far off..I dont get it.

11. Dolph N.Fan

Dolph N.Fan A True Fan

Straight up tackle them at the LOS

12. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

listen guys those new england TEs are not just TEs. there TEs/WRs and imo the best way to play them is play nickel against them, and if they try to go deep ,put davis or smith on there best WR . imo if our lbs cant cover them, then i say put in 6 cbs, and play nickel with 4 cbs and 2 safties one on each side but ,play closer up as the nickel .. if we want to stop them we going to have to play closer and get more pass rush on brady.

13. jetsattack

jetsattack Well-Known Member

sparano is gonna flash his man boobs, lick his lips and smack his *** in an attempt to distract opposing tight ends

14. hightempo

hightempo Well-Known Member

it wont be the same problem like it was against new england because most teams dont have two guys that can beat u. they have burnett, they have smith, and now will allen to give them some flexibility to cover tight ends. they should have been prepared for new england tho. they should have built this team to stop those two guys and they didnt. and now its too late, the damage is done. they will have the same matchup problem in new england they did in miami. will allen is a better corner than sapp tho, and there will be time for wilson and clemons to step up. we will be better against tight ends. but the already blew the only game that mattered and in that game the tight ends won it

15. nosleep

nosleep Resident GIF Maker

Sparano said it wasn't even a surprise with the routes they were running, apparently they prepared for it but the players just didn't execute.

Brady is just that good. If you play zone, we have no pass rush and Brady will eat you alive OR we can play man and he'll burn us because he puts the ball exactly where it needs to be and our corners are just not physical. ****, we should have just blitzed every down with 5 and told the cb's to mug their guys at the line of scrimmage like Revis.

16. BESS4LAST

SO that's the excuse I'm goin to hear....the PATS have 2 superb TEs ....thats hogwash... It looks like we can't even cover 1 let alone 2...

Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY and their grandma's grandma knows the Best way to cover a TE is Man coverage...actually a bump and man would be ideal

17. jfleag61

jfleag61 A True Fan

If we played physical like Revis, our guys would get flagged every time..'cuz their names aren't revis. Our team doesn't get much respect from the refs. (stealers game last year). We start roughing up TE's and WR's, they will start throwing flags. But I say what the hell, knock the snot out of them and let the laundry fly!!!

18. Twitches Brew

Twitches Brew A True Fan

If we have someone else who can play the boundary, we should move Smith inside on passing downs (3rd and maybe 5+) to cover athletic TEs--like Owen Daniels this week. And seeing as Houston doesn't have a real threat at 2ndWR, this makes even more sense.

19. foozool13

foozool13 #12 #13 #23 #29 #54 #99 Donator

After the final preseason game vs Dallas, it was Clemons who was lining up the the starters until he got hurt, so they had to play Reshad Jones. RJ is not a bad FS, but he's better suited to play SS.

20. Travis34

Travis34 chea Finheaven VIP Donator

Bell will never be a robber lol, he cannot catch those picks!

But I think the Patriots are just a match up nightmare. Most teams only have one great TE, making it easier than 2 guys running rampant

21. jason_taylor

jason_taylor Pro Bowler

i agree imo i would use one lb or maybe 2 and put an extra cb or fs in there to help out and i would use nickel most of the game bcause there throwing between 10-20 yards to the TEs/WRs

22. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

I hate to say this but watch how the Jets play against them he will figure it out most likely. Not that I like Ryan but his defense is usually pretty good.

23. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

So was Sparano blowing smoke up our *** when he said this pre-season that Dansby and Burnett would be covering Tight Ends??

24. digitalswim

digitalswim Rookie

The thing to watch for in the Texans game is their "fullback" James Casey. He is a TE they masquerade as a running back. He just made the position switch this year( after the Texans lost All Pro fullback Vonta Leach to the Ravens) and it is giving the Texans a lot of receiving mismatches. LB's just can't run with him not to mention that their main TE Owen Daniels is a monster all by himself.

25. DefensiveEnd76

DefensiveEnd76 Football Guru

Well we'll let Daniels catch about 10 passes for 200 yards and couple of TDs. We make EVERY Tight End look all world.

26. Tikaani5

Tikaani5 FinHeaven VIP

study the game film of the past 3 years against the pats - tight ends and welker kill us

27. 209Mason

209Mason Starter

... we could beg NE for Edds back. I'm sure they'll trade him to us for a 4th rounder or something like that... and we'd probably do it.