How is Tannehill Stacking Up With The 2012 Rookie Class

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Cowboynemo, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Cowboynemo

Cowboynemo Well-Known Member

Thought it would be interesting to see how Ryan Tannehill is stacking up. One can quickly see the sacks are killing the offense. and also causing INTs. We
    need to square the OL away. No running game has been horrible.

Name......................Games.......TD........INT.......YDS.......SCK......RTG
    Andrew Luck ..............11...........15...........7........2593........24.......84.3
    Ryan Tannehill ...........11...........15..........12........2784.......44........82.0
    Robert Griffin 111........11...........14......... 11.......2841........26........81.0
    Russel Wilson .............11...........19...........6........2362........29......105.1
    Brandon Weeden..........7............ 6............7........1361.......24........66.0

2. psfign

psfign A True Fan

RG3 broke some records!

3. hoops

hoops exited stage left

look at all those sacks and still in year two with a run game that has been tabled due to ineffectiveness in many games 2800 plus yards an 82 rating completion percentage at 62 percent...and a top level red zone efficiency rating

and people want to tell me the qbs not developing???

:lol:

4. Slim

Slim VIPeezy

Have a look at Luck's numbers with and without Wayne, then factor in that Tannehill has lost his TE, Slot WR, LT, LG, C, RB.
    By RB, of course i mean he doesn't have one.

5. hoops

hoops exited stage left

the heck with the 2nd year class...put his numbers up there against every qb and lets see where he shakes out...

it's nuts how much dumb heat this qbs taking on this board from the usual suspects...

6. Phinatic8u

Phinatic8u Adam ****ing Gase

Since Luck lost Wayne he's been pretty ****ing bad.

7. hoops

hoops exited stage left

it's caught up with them for sure...ty hilton is not that guy...

anyways miami has a good young qb for the long term folks...a legit one...just give it some time...he's the goods...and don't let all this crap here change what your eyes should tell you

8. Wildbill3

Wildbill3 Misery Loves Company Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

yeah he'd be so much better if he wasn't busy making his line look bad by taking all those sacks.

/end bull****.

9. hoops

hoops exited stage left

now just imagine if he does get a consistent run game and does develop with his footwork and pocket play

you got yourself a year in year out all freaking pro...exactly what i see in his future

i bet those guys stay out of this thread cause it blows holes in all those bs in a vacuum arguments

and keep in mind also that full no huddle is on the cusp here folks...

10. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

I've said all along that if you add to THill or subtract from Luck Reggie Wayne's '12 TDs, yds/game and total yds their stats would be pretty similar except for Luck's greater number of ints. Luck this season without Reggie is 2-2, beating 2 sub 500 teams and losing to 2 winning teams
    Luck vs AZ: 8 pts in final 3 qtrs, barely over 50% compl, 1 TD, 1 Int Loss
    vs TN: win: 23-36 232yds 0td 0Int
    vs STL Loss: 8pts entire game, 31-52 1TD, 3Ints
    vs Hous Win: 18-40 271yds, 3TDs 0 int

Now I'm by no means comparing the skillset of Tannehill to a 4 year college QB who was touted as the surest pick since PManning, but really, one has to wonder just how well Luck would have done and be doing if here considering who he had to work through, who was protecting him, who was coaching him up and who was calling his plays. :idk:

And as far as RG3, I wish Tannehill had his long ball accuracy but beyond that, as a lot of folks were saying, you take away that China Doll's greatest asset, his mobility and it's a whole 'nother ballgame :idk:

11. Wildbill3

apparently none of that matters since Luck's WPA is higher.

12. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

That's the effect of losing a hall-of-fame receiver. Reggie Wayne isn't flashy but he is reliable and he makes plays. Possibly the best route runner in the NFL.

I'm still amazed at how people think this is a good WR corp when we have no one even close to the level of Wayne. Our best YAC receiver was Gibson and he's gone. I think you should keep drafting WRs until you find that guy, the one that can take short passes and turn them into 1st downs or TDs, the guy who when you have to have a 1st down or a big play comes through. Heck, look at Brady's numbers without Welker. He's way down this year. QBs can't do this thing alone.

13. hoops

hoops exited stage left

tannehills upside is higher than lucks...those numbers should tell you that guys...our qb played the position for 2 years in college and has almost caught luck already...

the higher ceiling is ryan tannehill...been saying it forever...and it's true

14. Phinatic8u

Oh I know, Wayne is one of the GOATS

Sammy Watkins would solve alot of YAC problems.

15. datruth55

datruth55 Starter Finheaven VIP

Sammy Watkins in Miami is a suspension for substance abuse waiting to happen. Ricky Williams all over again.

16. Penthos

Penthos Am I on speaker phone?

Exactly. RT has taken almost twice as many sacks as the rest of them, yet is second among them in passing yards and tied for second in TDs. ... RT is also second among that group in accuracy.

17. tay0365

tay0365 FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP Donator

Considering how quickly Tannehill has to get rid of the balls, can you imagine once the O-line is fixed, and defense have to respect the run....Tannehill is going to feel like he has an eternity to find someone. Tannehill does still need to correct some things, and get more experience, but he could be special one day...there I said it!!!

18. Phinatic8u

I don't know man.

He had that one time last year but his history in Clemson would suggest that that was an isolated incident.

When I went up there a few weeks ago to see that game and enjoy the campus he was the talk of the town in terms of being a leader on and off the filed, taking control and being a great community figure. He's matured alot since his incident IMO

19. Dr. Phin

Dr. Phin Scout Team

They have to blame someone because they didn't see the problems with the OL coming...and can't admit how bad the OL really is...

I am giving Tannehill a "pass" this year just because of it. He has been getting better at his reads and handles the blitz well (when properly picked up.) However, he still has issues with accuracy.

20. hoops

hoops exited stage left

at the end of the year i want to put up every qbs yearly stats since marinos against tannehills 2nd year stats and see just where he shakes out...i bet you it's way the hell up there...and in year two nowhere near a finished product no less

i understand those qbs weren't good but we finally have one to build around and people want to toss him like trash...comical really

21. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

Don't forget that a lot of them also say the o-line is the least important positional group in football and that you can get by with any ol' cornfeds.

22. mrbunglez

mrbunglez Reading Is Fundamental Donator

And most of them complain when an o-lineman is taken in the 1st 3 rds of the draft.

23. Wildbill3

Only three since Marino that are even worth bringing up. And none of them were stuck behind this horrible line.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FiedJa00/gamelog/2001/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FrerGu00/gamelog/2005/

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PennCh01/gamelog/2008/

24. Atila

Atila Atila - the freshmaker. Finheaven VIP

It's just disappointing that we have to have threads like this, threads that have to show that Tannehill is not the problem with this team... you always like to think that fans of your favorite team are smarter than the average fan, but when your team starts losing, critical thinking gets thrown out the window... anyone can tell you why a team is winning, but apparently not many can dissect why a team loses.

25. hoops

hoops exited stage left

yeah why have threads that say the 2nd year qb is playing pretty damn good football and worth investing in...throw those out

there's a delicate balance here though that must be understood...rg3s numbers are very close to tannehills but he is a qb that depends on a specific system for success...not a guy that can stand back there and read the field from the pocket or make great presnap reads... a read option and pistol qb who needs single coverage and easy read looks and who's game plays to contact...

luckily with ryan tannehill that is not us and over the long term it will show itself as one has long term stay ability and the other is flash in the pan and already showing poor body language now that that flash in the pan system is being exposed

26. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

Who is "they?" The last three posts refer to this mysterious they. Is that what this board has devolved into, pro and anti Tannehill camps? We're all Dolphin fans. We all have different takes on the team, and varying levels of faith in different players or coaches.

I'm hoping the kid pans out. But I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed in his play. And who knows, maybe he is, too. He's the one who makes the reads, chooses the pass or run option, tips off or fools the defense, pump fakes or doesn't, looks away at his receiver or doesn't, has chemistry with his receivers or doesn't, has good ball placement or doesn't, is elusive in the pocket or isn't, and scrambles for a first down, or doesn't scramble. It's not like he's doing nothing behind center. The QB is the most important position on the field.

If you look at last Sunday, he got good protection for a change. He also had a hot receiver. He had a defense that gave him great field position many times, and got a turnover for him. I don't know what more he could want. A running game? Sure, that wasn't there. But you can't tell me that despite that, we couldn't have won it. We could have. Put Cam Newton behind center on our team on Sunday, and tell me, do we lose? No, of course not, we win.

27. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

Where exactly did the thread prove that Tanehill is not one of the reasons for our losses? I must have missed that.

28. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

Yeah, I will complain. There is no reason to draft offensive linemen in the first three rounds.

Examples:
    With Jonathan Martin (2nd round pick), Richie Incognito (3rd) and Maurice Pouncey (1st) we were the worst offensive line in football surrendering 32 sacks in 7 games (up until the New England game) which is 4.6 sacks a game.

The last two games we had Bryant McKinnie (1st), Sam Brenner (undrafted rookie) and Nate Garner (7th) replacing the three mentioned above. In those games we have surrendered 7 sacks, equals 3.5 sacks a game. Exactly one fewer sack per game.
    Also, the undrafted rookie (Sam Brenner) got promoted from the practice squad played although we have Dallas Thomas (3rd round rookie) and Danny Waktins (1st round pick in 2011) on the team.

It's not about where the players are picked, it's who you pick. But the chances of finding a playmaker in later rounds is considerably lower that in the first rounds. That's why you draft playmakers early.

I'm wondering what Tyler Eifert could have done for our offensive line and for Tannehill...

29. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

The criticism of him has been ridiculous. I even read a post today that the Dolphins are a really good team if they had a QB. :lol:

It's rare that a QB can come in to the league and make a significant impact unless they have strong team around them. Russell Wilson has the benefit of a tremendous defense, solid coaching and a strong running game. Andrew Luck is suddenly looking like a second year guy since Wayne is gone. RGIII has been bad.

The majority of starting QBs go through growing pains which is what the Dolphins are experiencing now. Those complaining now don't understand the process of development or lack the patience for it.

30. Spiff

Spiff Starter Finheaven VIP

Absolutely positively not. Cam Newton couldn't do squat against our defense on Sunday and I still don't know how we managed to give this game away.

31. hoops

hoops exited stage left

that and or they don't know what to look for also...i think there's a lot of that too from what i read...

32. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

Who's responsible for this? My answer would be, a lot of people. Some people's answer would be, everyone but Tannehill.

:rolleyes2:

33. Perfect23

Perfect23 Banned Hammered

To be fair alot of sacks are on Tannehill he takes to long to throw

34. FinaticalFinfan

FinaticalFinfan Finatical Finfan Finheaven VIP

Did RT NOT put the ball in 2 different receivers hands, one IN the end zone and one at the one or two yard line vs the Panthers? Do you expect him to catch it as well? And in a different thread you complained about the wr's running a yard or two shy of the sticks and you put the blame on RT again....how is that on RT? And if you would like to speculate on if we would have won had CN been our qb, have at it....but it is in no way a sure thing.

35. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

Really? He scored 2 TD's by himself in the second half! That's not doing squat. If that's squat, then we're less than squat because we were shut out in the second half.

36. Wildbill3

I think you're barking up the wrong thread. No one is abosolving Tannehill of contributing to the offensive woes, they are just (in this thread at least) saying he has shown enough that he can improve. It is first and foremost a team game, which is why I personally hate blaming any one player for a loss (even a kicker.)

37. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

Then you haven't been paying attention.

btw nobody has said he "can't" improve. At least in the comments I've read. I expect him to improve. But wishing isn't the same as reality. Wishing doesn't get you a winning team. Maybe he'll be our franchise player. Or, maybe he won't develop enough and we'll draft a QB. Or, maybe he'll get injured. Or, maybe the whole coaching staff will be fired and the next coach will bring in his own quarterback. Anyone who thinks they have a crystal ball as to which of those scenarios are going to happen, is kidding themselves.

38. Wildbill3

well isn't that what a message board is for? for everyone to somewhat pull out their own crystal ball and comment on various issues that revolve around the team? Surely you're not advocating everyone to shut up and take a wait and see approach on everything?

39. HoneyB

HoneyB A True Fan

Uh...dude, that's exactly my point.

40. Canadi-Phin

Canadi-Phin I hate everyone else in the AFC East

Thats all true. But looking at his stats and also watching the game how can you not see that he is not the problem. Having no run game is absolutely killer esepcially against young qbs. EVeryone thought Cam struggled last year and thats because he didn't have as good a running game, same with RG3 this year. Ryan's been doing that most of the year. Also your other thread about not scoring 40 points, you do realize that has been going on for a long time before he was the QB? The offense that we are running hasn't helped him any. We should go to the old WCO principles and thats throw to open up the run. Come out and throw on 10 plays in a row. Throw screens, throw long but throw with success and make the defense come out with 7 in the box. I said last week going into Carolina that the one way we could beat them was over the top, and guess what? It worked. Every game Sherman should be telling Ryan on a 2nd and 6 play to throw the 9 to Wallace. Regardless of the outcome because the defense now has to think about it. We should be taking at least 4 shot per game. Then we may see more 40 point games.