How is Tannehill Stacking Up With The 2012 Rookie Class | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How is Tannehill Stacking Up With The 2012 Rookie Class

The criticism of him has been ridiculous. I even read a post today that the Dolphins are a really good team if they had a QB. :lol:

It's rare that a QB can come in to the league and make a significant impact unless they have strong team around them. Russell Wilson has the benefit of a tremendous defense, solid coaching and a strong running game. Andrew Luck is suddenly looking like a second year guy since Wayne is gone. RGIII has been bad.

The majority of starting QBs go through growing pains which is what the Dolphins are experiencing now. Those complaining now don't understand the process of development or lack the patience for it.

that and or they don't know what to look for also...i think there's a lot of that too from what i read...

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP 1h

If the Dolphins don't have a 30 point game this year, it'll be just the second time in team history, and first since expansion season of '66
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

Who's responsible for this? My answer would be, a lot of people. Some people's answer would be, everyone but Tannehill.

:rolleyes2:

To be fair alot of sacks are on Tannehill he takes to long to throw

Who is "they?" The last three posts refer to this mysterious they. Is that what this board has devolved into, pro and anti Tannehill camps? We're all Dolphin fans. We all have different takes on the team, and varying levels of faith in different players or coaches.

I'm hoping the kid pans out. But I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed in his play. And who knows, maybe he is, too. He's the one who makes the reads, chooses the pass or run option, tips off or fools the defense, pump fakes or doesn't, looks away at his receiver or doesn't, has chemistry with his receivers or doesn't, has good ball placement or doesn't, is elusive in the pocket or isn't, and scrambles for a first down, or doesn't scramble. It's not like he's doing nothing behind center. The QB is the most important position on the field.

If you look at last Sunday, he got good protection for a change. He also had a hot receiver. He had a defense that gave him great field position many times, and got a turnover for him. I don't know what more he could want. A running game? Sure, that wasn't there. But you can't tell me that despite that, we couldn't have won it. We could have. Put Cam Newton behind center on our team on Sunday, and tell me, do we lose? No, of course not, we win.

Did RT NOT put the ball in 2 different receivers hands, one IN the end zone and one at the one or two yard line vs the Panthers? Do you expect him to catch it as well? And in a different thread you complained about the wr's running a yard or two shy of the sticks and you put the blame on RT again....how is that on RT? And if you would like to speculate on if we would have won had CN been our qb, have at it....but it is in no way a sure thing.

Absolutely positively not. Cam Newton couldn't do squat against our defense on Sunday and I still don't know how we managed to give this game away.

Really? He scored 2 TD's by himself in the second half! That's not doing squat. If that's squat, then we're less than squat because we were shut out in the second half.

Who's responsible for this? My answer would be, a lot of people. Some people's answer would be, everyone but Tannehill.

:rolleyes2:
I think you're barking up the wrong thread. No one is abosolving Tannehill of contributing to the offensive woes, they are just (in this thread at least) saying he has shown enough that he can improve. It is first and foremost a team game, which is why I personally hate blaming any one player for a loss (even a kicker.)

I think you're barking up the wrong thread. No one is abosolving Tannehill of contributing to the offensive woes, they are just (in this thread at least) saying he has shown enough that he can improve. It is first and foremost a team game, which is why I personally hate blaming any one player for a loss (even a kicker.)

Then you haven't been paying attention.

btw nobody has said he "can't" improve. At least in the comments I've read. I expect him to improve. But wishing isn't the same as reality. Wishing doesn't get you a winning team. Maybe he'll be our franchise player. Or, maybe he won't develop enough and we'll draft a QB. Or, maybe he'll get injured. Or, maybe the whole coaching staff will be fired and the next coach will bring in his own quarterback. Anyone who thinks they have a crystal ball as to which of those scenarios are going to happen, is kidding themselves.

btw nobody has said he "can't" improve. At least in the comments I've read. I expect him to improve. But wishing isn't the same as reality. Wishing doesn't get you a winning team. Maybe he'll be our franchise player. Or, maybe he won't develop enough and we'll draft a QB. Or, maybe he'll get injured. Or, maybe the whole coaching staff will be fired and the next coach will bring in his own quarterback. Anyone who thinks they have a crystal ball as to which of those scenarios are going to happen, is kidding themselves.

well isn't that what a message board is for? for everyone to somewhat pull out their own crystal ball and comment on various issues that revolve around the team? Surely you're not advocating everyone to shut up and take a wait and see approach on everything?

well isn't that what a message board is for? for everyone to somewhat pull out their own crystal ball and comment on various issues that revolve around the team? Surely you're not advocating everyone to shut up and take a wait and see approach on everything?

Uh...dude, that's exactly my point.

Thats all true. But looking at his stats and also watching the game how can you not see that he is not the problem. Having no run game is absolutely killer esepcially against young qbs. EVeryone thought Cam struggled last year and thats because he didn't have as good a running game, same with RG3 this year. Ryan's been doing that most of the year. Also your other thread about not scoring 40 points, you do realize that has been going on for a long time before he was the QB? The offense that we are running hasn't helped him any. We should go to the old WCO principles and thats throw to open up the run. Come out and throw on 10 plays in a row. Throw screens, throw long but throw with success and make the defense come out with 7 in the box. I said last week going into Carolina that the one way we could beat them was over the top, and guess what? It worked. Every game Sherman should be telling Ryan on a 2nd and 6 play to throw the 9 to Wallace. Regardless of the outcome because the defense now has to think about it. We should be taking at least 4 shot per game. Then we may see more 40 point games.

he is improving...you just want instant gratification and don't get that there's a process and a learning curve...

Thought it would be interesting to see how Ryan Tannehill is stacking up. One can quickly see the sacks are killing the offense. and also causing INTs. We
need to square the OL away. No running game has been horrible.

Name......................Games.......TD........INT.......YDS.......SCK......RTG
Andrew Luck ..............11...........15...........7........2593........24.......84.3
Ryan Tannehill ...........11...........15..........12........2784.......44........82.0
Robert Griffin 111........11...........14......... 11.......2841........26........81.0
Russel Wilson .............11...........19...........6........2362........29......105.1
Brandon Weeden..........7............ 6............7........1361.......24........66.0
Interestingly, the percentage of the time Seattle runs the ball (53.2%) is second-highest in the league. Luck and RGIII's teams are no different from the league average (41.3%) in that regard, while the Dolphins are well below average. I won't speak to Weeden since he isn't playing anymore.

Of the QBs above (other than Weeden), Tannehill has the biggest percentage of his offense put on his shoulders.

On the other hand, Tannehill's percentage of deep passes (those targeted at least 20 yards downfield) is 29th in the league, at 10%, whereas Russell Wilson's percentage of deep passes is 14.2%, which is 8th in the league. Luck and Griffin are at 10.9 and 10.3 percent, respectively.

Moreover, Wilson completes 59% of those deep passes, which is second in the league, and Tannehill completes 39% of such passes. Luck and Griffin are at 38.1 and 29.3, respectively.

I think Luck and Wilson are in a class of their own. I'd put asterics beside RT and RG3 - the first because it's hard to gauge his performance behind that online and with a coaching staff that stubbornly refuses to utlize his biggest stregnths, and latter because it's tough for any QB to be the same after that surgery. That said, RT innacuracy downfield is not always a result of Oline - he simply needs to improve - and the way RG3 is throwing the ball can't be blamed on his knee. I would say based on two years body of work and all things being equal, RT is 4th on that list and I really don't see much hope he'll climb those rankigs. That may not be such a terrible thing. #4 may still mean a very good qb in two or three years time. But it won't happen with this coaching staff. That's for sure

Back
Top Bottom