How ManyThought Tannehill Should Sit This Year?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by So Be, Dec 11, 2012.

1. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I remember back in camp, the majority of Phans thinking that RT should sit out a year to learn and adapt. This made sense, as he had only 19 games of College experience.

Philbin chose to start him, and I see no negative effect in in doing so. All things considered, he has done well, and has a year of experience to feed off for next year.

However, I am now seeing a number of fans questioning his ability in being our future, and wanting to give him very limited time to show them differently. They are likely the same fans who wanted him to sit, when we would have seen nothing.

This fascinates me, and I'm starting to question what many Dolphans have become.

Opinions?

2. DeathStar

DeathStar Hall Of Famer

He got valuable experience. Lets hope he learns from his mistakes and along with real play maker he will have a great 2013.

3. NYinBostonFin

NYinBostonFin Playoffs Please!!

You are wrong, I wanted him to sit this year for his lack of college experience as well as lack of talent at the WR position. I am however, NOT one who is calling for his head, or judging him a bust already.

I knew this would happen though....set the kid up for failure not having anyone to throw to....believing Philbin's offense didn't need a solid WR....

It shouldn't have been shocking going into the season, knowing that our offense would not be threatening to opposing defenses. I'll hold my opinion of Tanny for more than just his rookie season, esp with the best playmaker as our RB.

4. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

I said he should sit, even after Garrard got hurt. Instead Philbin opted to go the JJ/Aikman route and start the rookie all season. We'll have to see how things go, but I'm not disappointed in RT's play this season.

5. So Be

So Be A True Fan

This post was NOT directed at you. There are many other posters who thought the same. Then, there are the others, who want a Franchise QB at LIGHT SPEED, and will not accept anything less. :)

6. flynryan15

flynryan15 A True Fan Donator

I wanted him to start and still do! Let him take his lumps on a terrible team that way he is developed when we finally get some talent.

7. finjim

finjim Banned Hammered

I agree. The game doesn't look too big for him. He has the poise in the pocket that you look for, especially for a rookie. This kid is only going to get better, once we get him some legitimate weapons.

8. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

I thought Tannehill would be the pick and also thought he would sit this year. His play has been inconsistent, but has shown so much more in terms of talent, than Henne ever did. His lack of experience and surrounding talent has hurt him on many occasions this season. But when he's had protection and players getting open, he's been spot on.

9. So Be

So Be A True Fan

I'm with ya. It looks to be a VG move.

Gotta do something on that pic of the cat, and come up with a better one. JMO

10. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Ryann T. has played well enough as a rookie to merit playing even though Moore might have (its just guessing) won us a couple more games. Even though I thought it was a good move to trade Marshall because of how he might disrupt the team chemistry for the rookie QB I would have loved to see given the same weapons with Marshalls talent where we are at with Ryann T. Marshall added another notch to the offense last year and regarless of how bad Vonte Davis has done in Indy last year when he was on the field he added another notch to the defense. So with both those guys this year it could be a whole different ball game. Guess another thread would have it been worth it to have gone a possible 10-6 with those guys instead of where we are at now?

11. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

How many truly expected a Miami quarterback to have a passer rating above 72 or 73 throwing to Brian Hartline, Davone Bess, Legedu Naanee, Marlon Moore and Anthony Fasano?

12. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Who did we have at WR when Chad Pennington was here?

13. So Be

So Be A True Fan

True story. Maybe Moore would have won another game or two but, to what end? I know, as well as anyone, that patience is wearing very thin with our team, and it's really hard to keep it up. However, we have to see how RT plays out, and it ain't gonna be done, with this talent, as a rookie, in his first year.

14. Kdawg954

Kdawg954 The D will RushYa, Like Moscow Donator

A very sure handed Greg Camarillo
    A deep threat at WR in Ted Ginn (say what you want, the guy made plays down the field in 2008 and gave us the speed to stretch a defense)
    A dual threat at TE with Fasano/Martin
    Ricky and Ronnie
    A well used Patrick Cobbs
    Davone Bess was a rookie slot WR who was making plays

I'd take all of that over what we have now . . . even if that wasn't exactly Murderer's Row either.

15. So Be

So Be A True Fan

We had Ginn, Camarillo, and Bess. However, we also had Fasano and Martin running wild at TE, before the Pats did the same and took it another step.

16. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Fasano and Martin were lethal that year. This year, we forgot about the TE's in Sherman's O in spite of Fasano and Clay having a bit of a history of making some plays.

17. Miamifinz

Miamifinz Philbin is an idiot Donator

I wanted him to sit until I saw him outperform Moore in preseason. Then I felt he might as well be the guy this year.

18. Kdawg954

Truth right here. I think many people were content with letting Garrard and then Moore start the year . . . but after Garrard went down with injury and Moore looked absolutely dreadful in preseason . . . I mean may as well throw the rookie in there and see what he has. When he looked better than Moore in practice and preseason, I think it was a nobrainer that he should start.

19. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

Really we were getting our butts kicked on offense until the came up with the wild cat early in the year. Martin and Ricky or Ronnie were better over what we have now but Bess was a rookie and not contributing much so Hartline and Bess I believe now would edge out Greg C and Bess now. We could have kept Clyde Gates if we wanted another Ted Ginn. Clyde Gates did catch about 100 yards against us for the jets this year. The wildcat made it happen. Havever you cut its close and we have played pretty well with what we have. IMO Sherman's complex offense may be costing us getting some dumbed down talent on the field and current talent from producing more.

20. So Be

So Be A True Fan

Completely agree but now, for whatever reason, some are taking shots at him for his play, when they would have STFU if he were on the bench. Go Figure. :)

21. Lilseb93

Lilseb93 This Is My House

I wanted him to start from the beginning. Imagine being 5-8 with Matt Moore? We'd have no clue where we are with Tannehill.

22. Kdawg954

Well once you are in the game, you enter the world of being criticized. I think Tannehill hasn't been as accurate as he needs to be, especially with this subpar group of playmakers on offense. He has had opportunities to hit passes and he has missed. Sure they aren't easy throws but the opportunity was there. However, it needs to be understood that this is an offense in transisition and I don't think we can really understand the progress of Ryan Tannehill until next season.

23. phintim

phintim Seasoned Veteran

While this theme of waitng until next season kills me as that has been the only theme around here for the past 10 years at this point based on all changes with the coaching staff and turn over of playmakers let go from last year then another year is warranted. Still you have Luck, RGIII all drafted after Ryann T plus Wilson drafted after Ryann all getting it done so that can be considered. If I remember right Ireland might have been high on Wilson before the draft of was that my immagination?

24. SabanHater

SabanHater ***** in the House!

I wanted him to start. This season is helping him more than it's hurting him.

25. maven

maven I do not approve!

He should have sat and watched.

26. abNORMal

abNORMal A True Fan

You forgot the great Ocho, who was listed as a starter until....

27. Mudder1310

Mudder1310 A True Fan

At the time Pennington started we had a great 1-2 running game, and Brown as a rec out of the backfield was a game-changer. We have no one like that right now, Bush is closest but we don't run the ball well enough for play action to create space.

28. Danny

Danny FinHeaven VIP

I wanted him to start as I knew we had nothing to lose and lots to gain for the future. Moore is just a back up and that's it. People talk about last year but he didn't beat anybody good. He's a good back up but not the future. Tannehill would have learnt nothing by not playing. I know he's made some mistakes but all things consider he's done well for his rookie year with no real playmakers and no running game along with a bad oline that can't protect him most of the time.

Ozzy rules!!

29. Patrick_Bateman

Patrick_Bateman Rookie

I thought he should sit, however he changed my mind early in the season - he's getting valuable experience plus we'll be able to keep track of his progress next year and note improvements, regressions, etc

30. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Why do you keep calling him Ryann?

31. sporting1972

sporting1972 Active Member

tanny will be fine!

32. Hayden Fox

Hayden Fox Love Creating Turnovers Donator

I said I would have sat him until about Halloween. That is how I felt in the summer.

With what I have seen, I am wrong. Tannehill got valuable experience. He has demonstrated the smarts and moxie.

He does need to show additional progression. However, overall I like what I have seen and he has performed better than I thought he would.

33. pags77

pags77 Scout Team

After Garrard went down there was no better choice than starting Tannehill. He has had 12 games in the NFL, and has looked really good at times and pretty bad at other times. We are also comparing him to the rest of the QB rookies who are outplaying him on a consistent basis which is frustrating. Let him work his *** off to improve this off season and surround him with some more playmakers and we will see what happens.

34. DolfanDuBbZ~

DolfanDuBbZ~ Avoid the 'Noid

I said prior to the draft, if he is taken you START him GAME 1/ASAP. You take your lumps and let him develop. Let him see things now, so next year and so on, the game isn't too fast/big for him.

He has flashed. He has flopped. But I rather SEE it now and know or feel that MIA has a chance of having their Franchise QB. Next year at this time, we should see a more complete Tannehill.

35. Finfan0120

Finfan0120 Well-Known Member

People say that he was set up for failure, but I don't think that the average football fan or the media considers Tannehill a failure. Everyone knows that he would have much bigger numbers with some WR/TE talent, a consistent OL, and a threatening run game.

I think it was a great decision to play him this year, as long as he doesn't get hurt. One additional year of experience, and hopefully it will only get easier for him as his surrounding cast improves.

36. dlockz

dlockz Hall Of Famer

I thought whoever played the best in practice and preseason should start and that was Tannehill so he deserves to be starting

37. ucfphinfan12

ucfphinfan12 Banned Hammered

Moore earned at last year, Tannehill should have sat out the entire season. His stats show it and so does our record.

-ucfpf13

38. Geordie

Geordie A True Fan

I'm of the opinion right or wrong that the only reason to have a high first round QB sit on the bench behind a veteran is if you know he's gonna learn from that veteran ala Favre and Rodgers. If you don't have that superstar QB or a QB that imparts his knowledge effectively on his understudy then I really don't see the value in sitting him, in that case you are better off letting him learn form his own mistakes ala Peyton Manning.

I think we had the latter situation at Miami, as good a QB Moore is he's not a superstar and he's not got the experience in the league to really act as a mentor to Tanny. Even though I'm not Tanny fan, it was a wise decision to let him start, when you pick a QB with the 8th pick in the draft you need to see what you've got.

People thinking though that the off season will bring in some much needed weapons for him and that we'll be able then to compete need to think again IMO and could put undue pressure on the kid. He was never just a 2 year project, he was more a 3 to 4 year one, he may well regress a little next year going through a softmore slump, the excuses of no weapons will be gone (hopefully) and that could break him. If we banking on Tanny to be the franchise, then we have to accept that next year is also a transitional year, it's 2014 or 2015 where we should expect to see results improve.

39. So Be

So Be A True Fan

During camp, I was leaning towards sitting RT. The lack of college experience does matter, and with the surrounding talent as well as the Phans lack of patience, I was afraid to risk the kid's confidence. I'm glad to be wrong, nothing seems to shake him.

One other stat of note. According to the "talking heads" before this year, no rookie QB has won more than 7 games in the history of the NFL. All things considered, that says a lot of RT's play.

40. j-off-her-doll

j-off-her-doll FinHeaven VIP Finheaven VIP

I wanted to sit him until watching his 1st preseason snaps. From then on, I felt he had the poise to handle whatever failures the season had in store. But he does need at least 2 WR's this offseason. I'd love to land Wallace or Jennings, then draft a WR in the 1st or 2nd, and then look for a value pick in the late 3rd or 4th for another WR. If we don't bring in a FA WR, I think we'll be looking at definitely spending 2 of our top 5 picks on WR's.