How much cap space next year? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much cap space next year?

BornSlippy said:
anyone know the exact amount?

Well, we have a start by knowing that the NFL salary cap will be $109mil.

So if we only knew what players' salaries will go up next year, we can do the math.

If we go by how much their "amoritized" money is, which is evenly spread out throughout the contract term...then we have a certain amount to gauge.

Then we know that Traylor, Holiday, Zgonina, Vickerson, Spragan, Bowens, Adams, Newman, Maxwell, Radar, Jacox, Tillman, Bell, Jackson, Lehan, Welker, Vick, Lemon, Morris, Barnes, Minor, MacIntosh, Denney, and Jones all come off the books next year as FA's.

So basically we'll have:

Culpepper, Harrington, Brown, Williams, Chambers, Booker, Hagan, Mcmichael, Peele, Shelton, Carey, James, Hadnot, Mckinney, Toledo, Anderson, Alabi, Mare, Carter, Taylor, Wilkinson, Roth, Evans, R.Wright, M.Wright, Thomas, Crowder, Pope, W.Allen, J.Allen, Daniels, Goodman, Poole, and Hill will be under contract.

Aside from players' contracts and amoritized cap hits...some players have roster bonuses tied to their contracts. Of course roster bonuses and salaries can be partially or fully guaranteed depending on who the player is.

Also, we should have "exclusive rights" to Vickerson, Berger, and Vick which means if we re-sign them it can be for minimum contracts.

Booker is a player who's contract can be completely cleared by cutting/trading him. $4mil.

So he will be a prime player that can be bound to this being his last season.

if the cap is 109 then we would we 7 million under right now

don't how easily we could increase that

dumping Booker could bring us to 10

Man,i was just thinking about the team,and i can't figure out is much talent as we have on our team(i know we dont have superduper stars or anything)why the aren't clicking.There's enough playmakers there to be doing alot better than 1-6.Its sad to see another season go to waste.

tonto_phin said:
if the cap is 109 then we would we 7 million under right now

don't how easily we could increase that

dumping Booker could bring us to 10

Nah, your math is incorrect. We will have much more space then $7mil. You are going by what our roster number is this year.

You must subtract the contracts of Traylor, Holiday, Zgonina, Vickerson, Spragan, Bowens, Adams, Newman, Maxwell, Radar, Jacox, Tillman, Bell, Jackson, Lehan, Welker, Vick, Lemon, Morris, Barnes, Minor, MacIntosh, Denney, and Jones. Plus some players won't have roster bonuses counting again next year.

We are going to have more than $10mil of cap space trust me.

By cutting Booker and re-structuring some contracts...we should have around $15mil of cap space. Of course the draft picks and the $1mil we leave open through the season will bring us back to $10mil to spend on free agents and/or re-signing some of our players like Bell, Jones, Barnes, and maybe Bowens, Lemon, and MacIntosh. Vick and Vickerson will only cost us the league minimum because of exclusive rights.

johngarry said:
not nearly enough...sound about right??

I think its enough to sign at least one top tier free agent. Maybe a LB

As of right now, we're about $25 million under a projected $109 million salary cap for 2007. This, of course, is citing Clumpy's last update (which we have yet to publish).

What you have to keep in mind is that we only have about 36 guys under contract for next season. So we will need to use a good portion of that money just to fill the roster.

Back
Top Bottom