How much influence / input does Philbin have on who's drafted? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much influence / input does Philbin have on who's drafted?

ThrowDaTD

Rookie
Reaction score
Ireland said he and Philbin see eye to eye on things. Say Philbin see's a player he likes, but Ireland may not feel the same way -- how much influence would Philbin have in this case?Reason is, if he has that kind of influence, we should be guessing who we could be drafting based on Philbin's desired prefernces, and not Ireland's per se.

Since he is the one that is coming up with the gameplans, I would hope his input would be a major factor in the decision. But ultimately, the decision comes down to Ireland. God help us if he has not learned from his past mistakes.

And I get the sense that Ireland is willing to go with Joe's hunch. Word is getting around that Philbin has an eye for talent, and maybe Ireland is gaining trust in Joe's judgment.

I'd think Philbin wants to get our offense to an elite level and surround Tannehill with as many weapons as we can get. We could see Eifert or Tavon at 12 if Joe likes either of them.

Whatever u say about Ireland he drafts for his coach.

Exactly, Ireland is a coach's GM. He gives the coach the tools they need based on how they plan in winning and if the coach fails its on them. I would say Philbin has the blueprint and Ireland is the builder.

That's what it looks like. Pat White was for the Wildcat that Sporano wanted to run.

So I'd take a guess that Philbin will grab more players on the offensive side of the ball. We're probably not moving up to get a OT or G.

Exactly, Ireland is a coach's GM. He gives the coach the tools they need based on how they plan in winning and if the coach fails its on them. I would say Philbin has the blueprint and Ireland is the builder.

So under that logic, when would a coach's GM ever get fired?

I think Philbin has a fair share of pull. Last year's class we drafted guys for Philbin's system, not the old system we've ran in the past. If the question is will Ireland draft a player that Philbin doesn't want, no he won't do that.

I think the big issue in the past is that Sparano just didn't know what he was doing and (at least in my humble opinion) if you do not have a coach that can help in the war room, you will struggle.

It looks like Philbin has quite a bit of influence, there was a definite change in the draft last year

So under that logic, when would a coach's GM ever get fired?

It'd be hard. They would have to mismanage salary cap or make obvious misses while still drafting for the coach. But yeah, it does limit their chances of being let go.

Philbin has a ton of pull. He can wipe guys off Ireland's draft board entirely

I'm pretty much in agreement with most of what has been posted. I would think Philbin sets the table; what positions are in most need, what type of player, etc. and likely will offer some specific players he likes. It is then up to Ireland to meet those needs. If they disagree it is then up to Ireland to either go with Philbins choice or his own. As for whether to make a trade or not I would assume Philbin has a lot of input, but again, Ireland has the ultimate responsibility as to whether or not to pull the trigger.

So really, when trying to guess what will happen on draft day, we ought to be thinking what Philbin wants, rather than what Ireland wants. Maybe Ireland wants to go OLine with the 12th, but maybe Philbin wants to add more offensive weapons. I would think Ireland will draft for his coach since it'll be the coach and the staff who has to work with his players.

Back
Top Bottom