How much will be our Cap hit if we release Madison in June? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How much will be our Cap hit if we release Madison in June?

Amars

Championship or nothing.
Reaction score
I wonder If they be willing to get him off the books already. Hes not the same sam were use to.

I don't know, he's still a Top10 corner IMO.. I know he's getting older but I saw him make an incredible deflection in the endzone against the Pats that was simply amazing. Here's my list of corners.. I don't know where I would stick Madison in this list, I know it wouldn't be above Barber and not below Bly.. so I'd say he's between the 5th and 8th best CB in league according to me.. of course this is just my 2 cents. D'Angelo Hall will definately be near the top of this list in a year or two, and he is probably in the top 3 already according to physical ability but his lack of experience prevents me from putting him on the list b/c he still makes mental mistakes.. or else the Falcons D-Coordinator just doesn't know what he is doing. Oh yea and Smoot has not been a top 10 corner this year but I still put him in because I believe he is simply having a bad year compared to what he normally does and next year will most likely be alot different.

1. Champ Baily
2. Chris McAllister
3. Ty Law
4. Samarai Rolle
5. Ronde Barber
6. Nate Clements
7. Patrick Surtain
8. Dre Bly
9. Fred Smoot

I Can name better players then those and about 10 more before I put Sam Madison.

Charles Woodson, Quettin Jammer, Marcus Trufant, Sheldon Brown, Lito Sheppard, RW McQuaters, Nathan Vasher, Anthony Henry, Terrance Newman

I wouldn't consider any of those players better than Madison...maybe Woodson but he's older than Sam so I wouldn't take him over Sam considering we aren't a contender this year or next.

1stDownRBrown said:
I wouldn't consider any of those players better than Madison...maybe Woodson but he's older than Sam so I wouldn't take him over Sam considering we aren't a contender this year or next.

Woodson isn't older than Madison..but he is horribly overrated and a walking injury report.

As much as I like Madison, you can tell he isn't the same corner he used to be. He's never been a good tackler but now it's non-existant. He commits penalties at the worst times. With Poole coming back, Madison should be gone. I'd love to bring in Nate Clements if the Bills actually let him walk.

byroan said:
As much as I like Madison, you can tell he isn't the same corner he used to be. He's never been a good tackler but now it's non-existant. He commits penalties at the worst times. With Poole coming back, Madison should be gone. I'd love to bring in Nate Clements if the Bills actually let him walk.

I'm ok with saying that..I just think that Woodson is not the answer. Especially with the contract he will be asking for.

Madison is no longer top 10....far from it.

After the Bills debacle in SD, I would be hard-pressed to say Nate Clements is top 10 :(

Next post will have the numbers

Amars said:
I wonder If they be willing to get him off the books already. Hes not the same sam were use to.

In response to Amars question and according to my numbers (Merman may have slightly different ones):

Madison will have 2 yrs remaining (2006 & 2007) as follows:

salary: $3.42 million
amortization: $2,912,931
cap hit: $6,332,931

not aware of any other bonuses

salary: $4.5 million
amortization: $1,496,714
cap hit: $5,996,714

not aware of any other bonuses

If released before June 1st: all remaining amortization falls on 2006 cap thus

cap hit - remaining amortization = cap savings

$6,332,931 - ($2,912,931 + $1,496,714) = $1,923,286

(This also applies to a trade at any time before the season starts).

If released after June 1st: amortization for 2006 still applies to that yr but 2007 amortization still applies to 2007

cap hit - 2006 amortization = cap savings

$6,332,931 - $2,912,931 = $3.42 million (his salary)

My take: cut him in February and move on

Clumpy said:
In response to Amars question and according to my numbers (Merman may have slightly different ones):

If released before June 1st: all remaining amortization falls on 2006 cap thus

cap hit - remaining amortization = cap savings

$6,332,931 - ($2,912,931 + $1,496,714) = $1,923,286

(This also applies to a trade at any time before the season starts).

If released after June 1st: amortization for 2006 still applies to that yr but 2007 amortization still applies to 2007

cap hit - 2006 amortization = cap savings

$6,332,931 - $2,912,931 = $3.42 million (his salary)

Just a note. Other than my slightly different signing bonus amortization :)
this information is correct if a new CBA is agreed upon.

Otherwise if the situation stays the same for next year, 2006, which is the last year before an uncapped year, 2007, the acceleration of signing bonus for "on or before June 1st" is the same for the whole year. There will be no putting off of any unamortized bonus to next year. (2007)

Copied from the: CBA

* During any League Year immediately preceding an Uncapped Year, the provisions relating to acceleration of unamortized signing bonuses applicable on or before June 1 of that League Year shall apply during that League Year after June 1.

*Side Letter 11/1/95: Sec. 2

The question we have to ask ourselves, can we pick up anyone better, for equal or less money, and is anyone on our team good enough to make sam a dime corner, in other words, do we have 3 corners on our team right now that are better than sam?

Wildbill3 said:
in other words, do we have 3 corners on our team right now that are better than sam?

Depends on how good this Mitchell kid is. A heathly Poole should be better than Sam. I think Daniels is playing better.

Clumpy said:
Madison is no longer top 10....far from it.

After the Bills debacle in SD, I would be hard-pressed to say Nate Clements is top 10 :(

Next post will have the numbers

Clements is still a definate top 10 and will be paid top 5 IMO. Had 2 bad games vs SD and Stallworth, but great/good against Steve Smith 3-55, Randy Moss 3-43, Coles 4-33, Gallowy 0-0, Andre Johnson 3-18, Kennison 4-41, Chambers 4-60, Branch 3-92. Didn't list Atlanta because don't think know if they even have a definate #1 WR with Crumpler's the #1 guy for Vick.

Would love to have Clements in Miami next year if Buffalo doesn't want him.

Back
Top Bottom