How The Dolphins From Marquee Name to the Sunniest Garbage Heap | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How The Dolphins From Marquee Name to the Sunniest Garbage Heap

It about incessant bad decisions at the QB position since Marino retired.

There were chances

Rodgers
Brees
M Ryan
A Smith
Tannehill over Wilson

I’m sure other misses are there in a farther degree of consideration ( Brady, Prescott, etc)

No (good) plan for what to do at QB after Marino retired.
An owner (Wayne) that made one bad decision after another in terms of hiring head coaches and front office personnel.
Another owner (Ross) who continued the trend of making horrible decisions in terms of head coaching hires (and perpetuated the previous owner's mistakes by retaining the failed GM/head coaching combo brought in by Parcells-- whose tenure was also a mistake).
Subpar drafting.
Bad luck.

Its just bad management. This team has been terrible at drafting since JJ. When you can't build through the draft, you are constantly overpaying for older vets who might not fit your system and underperform, and then you are stuck in a cycle of relying on old players who break down.

The QB issues are part of it, but not the full story. Tannehill was obviously mismanaged early on and never given the proper support system. The OL has been a huge liability for seemingly forever. That impacts the QB and the entire offense.

And sadly, in the odd year when they sucked enough to get a high pick they wasted those picks on non-impact players.

There were chances

Rodgers
Brees
M Ryan
A Smith
Tannehill over Wilson

I’m sure other misses are there in a farther degree of consideration ( Brady, Prescott, etc)

Great! Now list all the QBs from each of those classes that didn't work out! Don't half-ass the job. If you're going to tell it then be honest and tell both sides of the story.

There were chances

Rodgers
Brees
M Ryan
A Smith
Tannehill over Wilson

Really? Alex Smith? Everyone passed on Brady, Prescott and Wilson at least once.

Rodgers - I don't blame them. It was a low-talent draft, and several teams had concerns about Rodgers. He also sat on the bench for several years with GB. He wouldn't have had that luxury in Miami.

Brees - THIS is our biggest miss!! Wanny definitely screwed the pooch on this one, drafting a CB we didn't need (Jamar Fletcher) over a QB we DID need...and a future HoFer at that!! Of course, Brees didn't do well with his first team (Chargers), so there's no guarantee he would have fit in in Miami. Of course, we missed on him TWICE (as we had a chance to get him from the Chargers). So, yeah...Brees....could have been ...

M Ryan - This is a tough one. Jake Long was slated to be an All-World LT, and he played like that for a few years...before injuries destroyed his career. At the time it seemed like the right decision. In retrospect it wasn't...but who has a crystal ball?

A Smith - Alex Smith?? You mean signing him as a FA, after he had a lackluster career in SF? I don't see this one. Smith was no better than average when he left SF. No one knew he'd be so much better in KC.

Tannehill over Wilson - Wilson was a boon for Seattle. They didn't expect him to be as good as he was, which is why they signed Matt Flynn during the same offseason that they drafted Wilson. So, at the time Tanny was a decent pick, and I still think he's a good QB...assuming he comes back.

Rodgers - I don't blame them. It was a low-talent draft, and several teams had concerns about Rodgers. He also sat on the bench for several years with GB. He wouldn't have had that luxury in Miami.

Brees - THIS is our biggest miss!! Wanny definitely screwed the pooch on this one, drafting a CB we didn't need (Jamar Fletcher) over a QB we DID need...and a future HoFer at that!! Of course, Brees didn't do well with his first team (Chargers), so there's no guarantee he would have fit in in Miami. Of course, we missed on him TWICE (as we had a chance to get him from the Chargers). So, yeah...Brees....could have been ...

M Ryan - This is a tough one. Jake Long was slated to be an All-World LT, and he played like that for a few years...before injuries destroyed his career. At the time it seemed like the right decision. In retrospect it wasn't...but who has a crystal ball?

A Smith - Alex Smith?? You mean signing him as a FA, after he had a lackluster career in SF? I don't see this one. Smith was no better than average when he left SF. No one knew he'd be so much better in KC.

Tannehill over Wilson - Wilson was a boon for Seattle. They didn't expect him to be as good as he was, which is why they signed Matt Flynn during the same offseason that they drafted Wilson. So, at the time Tanny was a decent pick, and I still think he's a good QB...assuming he comes back.
I don’t think Rodgers would be elite in Miami. He had bad throwing motions coming out of college. Miami doesn’t seem to have the coaches to coach up players.

We've had multiple chances to right the ship.

Fixing the offensive line would have definitely helped.

Which decade did we last have a good fo?

Every one is a miss, and yes, Alex Smith. No one woulda been upset if we took Rodgers off the board instead of Ronnie Brown. Are you kidding.

Matt Ryan was the obvious pick, parcells just tried to be smarter than everyone else.

Alex Smith was our target in FA. We were trying to sign him and he ended up back at SF. Check it out. He almost was a fin.

Russell Wilson was the next QB on our board if we skipped on Tannehill. He was just thought to be undersized.

We are languishing the team with Tannehill and will soon need to move on if Gase can’t raise his game. It’s the QB , period.

Its just bad management. This team has been terrible at drafting since JJ. When you can't build through the draft, you are constantly overpaying for older vets who might not fit your system and underperform, and then you are stuck in a cycle of relying on old players who break down.

The QB issues are part of it, but not the full story. Tannehill was obviously mismanaged early on and never given the proper support system. The OL has been a huge liability for seemingly forever. That impacts the QB and the entire offense.

And sadly, in the odd year when they sucked enough to get a high pick they wasted those picks on non-impact players.
I was going to respond, but you did that for me........well said.

Really? Alex Smith? Everyone passed on Brady, Prescott and Wilson at least once.

Lol..We've reached that time of the Dolphins passed on X,Y,Z player!

These complaints never bring up the hundreds of bust players. Which statistically are alot more common.

Also what happens if the Dolphins did draft Brady or a Wilson and they too were bust?

I'm sure the complaint would be why did we draft those QBs in late rounds and expected them to be anything special? Wasted draft picks! Our scouting department is so incompetent etc etc.

Hindsight is the fans ultimate tool! Really easy to bang on the table after the fact.

Are you also going to bang on the table and announce all those bust you also wanted the Dolphins to pick that they were smart enough not to?

Also with the bad drafts is that Miami doesn’t seem good at developing players to their draft rank. How many players we see playing on other teams that Miami drafted and let go because they finally played good during a contract year and lost to FA or players Miami’s didn’t use right being good elsewhere?

Back
Top Bottom