How the NFL screws Dolphin fans and the Dolphin orginzation. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How the NFL screws Dolphin fans and the Dolphin orginzation.

BigCityCat

Scout Team
Reaction score
I contacted Jerry Green here in Orlando about why the Jags get broadcast rights in central Florida and this is the answer I got.

"The deal is that years ago the Jags asked to make Daytona/Orlando an official "secondary area" for the team and the NFL granted that. As such, the NFL TV agreement says that any station in a secondary area that carries the appropriate conference must show the team’s road games. So whenever the Jags are on the road, WKMG must make them the first choice over the Dolphins. WKMG has wanted to change that forever but it’s network doesn’t bother to fight for it, so it never changes. The local guys are not to blame."

I think the NFL probably has some sort of scam worked out with directv to screw central Florida Dolphin fans out of money for the Sunday Ticket. We are probably their best market in terms of NFL Sunday ticket sales.

I contacted the NFL about this but I haven't received a response yet. The Dolphins are far more popular here in Orlando and have been the team of choice in this area for years, but that doesn't seem to be as important as the all mighty dollar.

The Jags are a playoff team. The Dolphins were (barely) 1-15. Its not a conspiracy.
This has nothing to do with last year's won-lost record and more to do with the NFL allowing and granting the then expansion Jacksonville Jaguars to name Orlando as their secondary market.

you should get the game on direct tv package right?

I don't think that is the point he is trying to make. His reasoning is that he shouldn't have to buy nfl sunday ticket because of where he lives. I very much agree with him, it is a bunch of crap.

wouldnt it be benefical to get more dolphin fans angry and then raise hell so that would show them that the dolphins have more fans then what is showing up to fin home games.?

wouldnt it be benefical to get more dolphin fans angry and then raise hell so that would show them that the dolphins have more fans then what is showing up to fin home games.?
Nope. That method has already been tried. I think it was last year when the Orlando Sentinel wrote an article about this very subject. Basically what an NFL Spokesman said was that Dolphins fans need to get over it.

sucks looks like i have togoto some damn bars to watch my games(moving to orlando this week). no way spending money to get directtv and sunday ticket . I hate how direct tv doesnt work when it rains(plus u need sattalite/box etc etc AND sunday ticket wtf)

you should get the game on direct tv package right?

No we get the Jags no matter what. The Dolphins have been the # 1 team here for years. They have a huge history. By far the most popular team in this area. You should see the bar scene here on Sunday's.

i agree its bs. i cant have direct tv due to the condo i live in, and seeing jags game is such garbage it isnt funny. i dont know why i read this thread, or why im replying in it, it just makes me mad thinking about it...

Trust me, I completely agree with you guys. I live in Lakeland which is in the Tampa market and we get nothing but Bucs stuff. We had to get the Sunday ticket just to see most of the games. The funny thing is that most diehard fans around here are Dolphin fans, but there are more fans of the Bucs that jumped on when they started winning and became Colts fans when Dungy went to Indy and started winning. A lot of them will freely admit that as well, which made me laugh.

I contacted Jerry Green here in Orlando about why the Jags get broadcast rights in central Florida and this is the answer I got.

"The deal is that years ago the Jags asked to make Daytona/Orlando an official "secondary area" for the team and the NFL granted that. As such, the NFL TV agreement says that any station in a secondary area that carries the appropriate conference must show the team’s road games. So whenever the Jags are on the road, WKMG must make them the first choice over the Dolphins. WKMG has wanted to change that forever but it’s network doesn’t bother to fight for it, so it never changes. The local guys are not to blame."

I think the NFL probably has some sort of scam worked out with directv to screw central Florida Dolphin fans out of money for the Sunday Ticket. We are probably their best market in terms of NFL Sunday ticket sales.

I contacted the NFL about this but I haven't received a response yet. The Dolphins are far more popular here in Orlando and have been the team of choice in this area for years, but that doesn't seem to be as important as the all mighty dollar.

It's not a scam. The truth is Jacksonville is much closer to Orlando than Miami. Is Jacksonville not allowed to have a market? They can't go north because that's Georgia.

It is not a a scam, but it is crazy. Every couple of years a paper or tv station does a poll and the Dolphins are the overwhelming fan favorite in Orlando, over the Bucs and Jags. Yes we here in the Orlando area are geographically closer to those teams, but most of the fans are from earlier eras when the phins were the only choice and then got dumped on by the secondary market rules by the NFL.

Trust me, I completely agree with you guys. I live in Lakeland which is in the Tampa market and we get nothing but Bucs stuff. We had to get the Sunday ticket just to see most of the games. The funny thing is that most diehard fans around here are Dolphin fans, but there are more fans of the Bucs that jumped on when they started winning and became Colts fans when Dungy went to Indy and started winning. A lot of them will freely admit that as well, which made me laugh.

I still find it funny that Polk County is considered mainly a "Tampa market" when it's right dead smack in the middle of the state. The travel time whether you go to Tampa or Orlando is essentially the same if you live in Polk. Polk is one of those counties that could go either way.

Back
Top Bottom