How the Vontae Davis trade went down

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Aug 27, 2012.

1. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/08/the-difference-between-colts-dolphins.html

Obviously Armando was remiss in his re-telling. He clearly forgot the part where Joe Philbin walked into Jeff Ireland's office and demanded that Vontae Davis be traded off the roster. [/sarcasm]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2012
  2. J. David Wannyheimer

J. David Wannyheimer 5 Years of Posting Excellence. Finheaven VIP Donator

Interesting. This actually makes me feel a lot worse about the trade, since it seems that the team genuinely feels that Marshall is a better CB than Davis. And, uhm, he's not.

3. blitzhappy

blitzhappy Well-Known Member

I agree, It didn't appear this coaching staff was to impressed with V. Davis and he had good trade value.

4. 72 silky

72 silky Well-Known Member

5. ckparrothead

/sarcasm

6. dolfan_101

dolfan_101 A True Fan

god damn I feel violated

7. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

8. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Apalled and aghast Donator

With all due respect, and not trying to start an argument, I question the idea that you, me or anyone else on here is a better talent evaluator than a professional coaching staff.

9. mnphinfan

mnphinfan Lifelong Fin Fan

I think Philbin demanding Ireland trade Vontae is something most fans are definitely missing. Fans are looking to bag on Ireland any way they can without even looking at the truth. It's like everyone blaming Ireland for the drafts and personel decisions when Parcells was in charge. Nothing got done without Parcell's approval as he had the final say. If you seriously want to judge Ireland look at what he has done over the last two years as that was when he was truely in charge.

10. 72 silky

No I'm asking for real. I didn't read or hear that philbin aske Jeff to move Davis

11. phinatic1399

phinatic1399 Diehard Phinatic!

this all went down a few days after marshall had an awful game and got smoked all night against atlanta

12. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 Banned Hammered

13. ckparrothead

You missed the sarcasm in my tone. I do not feel in any way whatsoever that Joe Philbin came up with the idea to trade Vontae Davis. I think that is pure fiction. I think at some point (probably when the Colts upped their offer into the serious range of a 3rd rounder), Jeff Ireland and Joe Philbin had a chat. And during that chat, I think Jeff wanted to gauge Joe's opinion on whether it would be OK. And I think Joe said whatever you think is best.

14. MarshallFin1

MarshallFin1 Banned Hammered

nolan carroll looked better than him. wont surprise if nolan wins that job soon.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

so u think this is all irelands idea?

15. ckparrothead

Again,

/sarcasm

16. BringBackDan13

BringBackDan13 Well-Known Member

Hey, if we initially were offered a sixth and ended up getting that and a second...i'm not gonna complain.

17. ckparrothead

I think most people are assuming that this is a Joe Philbin trade. This is not a Joe Philbin trade.

18. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

With all due respect there are about half a dozen guys on this site that are better talent evaluators than Ireland. Take a trip to the draft forum sometime.

19. Mogwai

Mogwai Seasoned Veteran

Not much of a negotiator then. Colts began by lowballing then when they offer what they were actually willing to pay it makes Ireland feel like he's getting a steal and jumps on it. Particularly effective if it was a player that wasn't necessarily available.

20. andyahs

andyahs Bahamian Redneck Donator

Yes Ireland's trade but at some point prior he and Philbin had to have agreed that moving Vontae was a possibility and acceptable to both.

21. Jeep

Jeep Premium Member Donator

I wonder... if at any time during the negotiations... was a wide receiver's name ever brought up...??

22. fishfanmiami

fishfanmiami Have you seen junior's grades ? Moderator Finheaven VIP

Maybe Philbin finally got around to watching the first episode of Hard Knocks were VD says he was "acting" and came over as a real immature me first kind of guy.

23. MadDog 88

MadDog 88 Smoke 'em Jay Finheaven VIP

Better or not is questionable. Consistentcy and a lack of work ethic are slanted in Marshall's favor IMO.

24. Jeep

Jeep Premium Member Donator

By negotiating up to a 2nd round pick.. That shows the Colts really wanted Vontae and it also shows that Ireland was able to read his worth... However, trading the conditional 6th for a wide receiver from the Colts.. even if that receiver was cut next week.. would show the fan base (and players) that the Dolphin brass recognize the short comings of our receiver corp and is searching for a solution...

25. 72 silky

Sorry missed the sarcasm. I agree not a philbin job here. Marshall I think was philbin but that's just mho

26. BlueFin

BlueFin Seer of Visions Finheaven VIP

I agree, but I do think Philbin is on board with it.

Vontae's performance on "Hard Knocks" was embarrassing and he is not the kind of player from a heart and work ethic standpoint that I think Philbin wants.

27. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

I think you missed the part of the story where Ireland made the trade and there was no mention of Philbin.

28. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

They wanted vontae bad.

Thats obvious with this...and ireland got a lot for him.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

29. gregorygrant83

gregorygrant83 A True Fan

A steady B player is better for a team than a player who might be an A player one week and C player the next week.

30. Fins1971

Fins1971 C'mon Dolphins

Exactly when did he get smoked? Playing against a potent offense and giving up 3 FG's is getting smoked?

1 FG was attibuted to RT's pick.
    1 FG was attributed to Vontae's PI on 3rd down.
    1 FG was attibuted to Marshall getting beat on 51 yard pass.

No TD's given up, A few 3rd down convesions allowed in the middle of field that didn't result in points and one 51 yard pass that allows a FG.

Yep, he was getting smoked all night. Get real.

31. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero Donator

Clearly he is

32. Vaark

Vaark Nihil taurus crappus Finheaven VIP Donator

Ireland should have held out for 2nd rounder TE Coby Fleener in lieu of that second round pick!

33. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

Wasnt needed. Since the moment Philbin was hired(against Irelands heavy and profanity laced protests) the new coach has been planting subliminal messages to Ireland and everyone else in the facility. This was done in an effort to gain not only total control of the team, but complete control over the thoughts our of players. Knowing Brandon Marshall would be the first to discover such deception, he quickly engineering a scenario to neutralize him. After which he began planting his messages through apparently team building exercises that are meant to bring up feelings of subservient behavior and complacency in mundane activities(example: picking up trash).
    Unfortunately for his plans our other intellectual giant, Davis, started to question what was going on around him after breaking the rhythmic exercises that is required for Philbins mind control by constantly going to the bathroom. Not only did this delay the inevitable conclusion but this personally offended Philbin. Players using the bathroom? The thought! Leaning on Ireland, who at this point had given up the futile struggle and was sulking in dispair over his situation, Philbin pushed for the Davis trade. It was his most diabolical play yet, by pointing out the bathroom breaks as team cancerous activity he maintained his credibility(admittedly the team was a bit puzzled by his vehemence towards urinating).

For those proud brave souls who see this through obvious plan, do not worry. There is 1 man still left in the lockerroom who has the mental capacity, popular support, and deep understanding of the human psyche left to thwart Philbin: Karlos Dansby.

[video=youtube;FNMc4qV3dwI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNMc4qV3dwI[/video]

34. ckparrothead

That doesn't make it a Joe Philbin trade the way everyone is talking about. Yes I believe they had a chat and I believe Philbin said "Whatever you think is best" or something wishy-washy like that, which is exactly Joe's style.

35. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

Excellent point! You did forget to emphasize that Coyle's defenses are known for good secondary play and good linebacker play. These area stood out to me as improved during the third preseason game.

36. tylerdolphin

tylerdolphin More Smug than Birthday Dog Moderator Finheaven VIP

Im not mad we traded Vontae. I just think we really should have used the trade to try help support our rookie QB that is throwing to one rosterable NFL receiver at the moment.

37. dolfan91

dolfan91 Starter Donator

The silver lining in all this is ... The conditional 6th rounder is going to be higher than the 5th round because Indy traded their 2013 5th rounder to another team. So IMHO that conditional 6th rounder is either a 4th or 3rd in 2013 or another pick in 2014. If Vontae Davis doesn't perform, Miami made out great. If Davis performs in Indy they make out great. But at least we can speculate about that 6th rounder being something more beneficial to Ireland in the near future.

38. FinHopeful

FinHopeful Starter

I assume you have seen on Hard Knocks that Ireland sits in meetings taking notes when the coaching staff is discussing player performance. For an existing player on our roster, the coaching staff is the primary talent evaluators. Do you think you are a better evaluator than the coaching staff?

39. Zounds

Zounds CPA4LYFE Donator

Do you really think that Ireland would just trade away a player that Philbin wants on his team? I doub that very much. The whole thing started with Philbin, when he demoted and reprimanded Davis - not with Indy's call to Ireland. You are trying too hard to spin this against Ireland, and I think its a bit insincere to insunuate that Ireland didn't consult Philbin at all about trading Davis.

40. datruth55

datruth55 Starter

We don't know what Coyle's defenses are known for since he's never been a defensive coordinator before in the NFL.