How the Vontae Davis trade went down | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How the Vontae Davis trade went down

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/08/the-difference-between-colts-dolphins.html

The Colts began shopping for ways to address their need. Early last week the team began searching for a way to plug that leaky hole in the defense. And knowing that Vontae Davis had lost his starting job in Miami, the Colts called asking to acquire him.

The Colts' first offer was a sixth-round pick.

Miami general manager Jeff Ireland, who had not been shopping Davis, told the Colts he was not interested.

By Thursday, the offer was improved to a fifth-round pick. Ireland still had no interest in that price for a player he views as troubled but still worthy of keeping given his age, ability, relatively cheap cost and the first-round investment he had in Davis.

So the Colts let that sit for a while.

And Saturday the Colts came back again -- this time offering a third-round pick for Davis. I have to give Indianapolis GM Ryan Grigson credit for persistence. He latched on to the idea of getting Davis like a pitbull locks down on a steak and didn't let go. And, of course, while he was showing little interest in the offers, Miami GM Jeff Ireland was not saying, "Stop calling me!"

Ireland was open to the idea of trading Davis, but at a price he wanted. That goes back to the Bill Parcells school of thought that "Everybody is on the trade block all the time." (For the right price).

The third-round offer got Ireland's attention in that serious, serious negotiations began to take place between the teams. The Colts were finally in the ballpark but Ireland wanted more. And the fact they were in the ballpark encouraged the Colts they might be able to solve their gaping defensive problem. It also encouraged Ireland that he could get a premium draft pick in this deal.

It was sometime late Saturday or early Sunday when Grigson came back with the second-round offer. The offer put Ireland on the hook but to reel him in, Grigson had to add the conditional sixth-rounder that he ultimately included in the deal.

Obviously Armando was remiss in his re-telling. He clearly forgot the part where Joe Philbin walked into Jeff Ireland's office and demanded that Vontae Davis be traded off the roster. [/sarcasm]

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. This actually makes me feel a lot worse about the trade, since it seems that the team genuinely feels that Marshall is a better CB than Davis. And, uhm, he's not.

I agree, It didn't appear this coaching staff was to impressed with V. Davis and he had good trade value.

Interesting. This actually makes me feel a lot worse about the trade, since it seems that the team genuinely feels that Marshall is a better CB than Davis. And, uhm, he's not.
With all due respect, and not trying to start an argument, I question the idea that you, me or anyone else on here is a better talent evaluator than a professional coaching staff.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/08/the-difference-between-colts-dolphins.html

Obviously Armando was remiss in his re-telling. He clearly forgot the part where Joe Philbin walked into Jeff Ireland's office and demanded that Vontae Davis be traded off the roster.

I think Philbin demanding Ireland trade Vontae is something most fans are definitely missing. Fans are looking to bag on Ireland any way they can without even looking at the truth. It's like everyone blaming Ireland for the drafts and personel decisions when Parcells was in charge. Nothing got done without Parcell's approval as he had the final say. If you seriously want to judge Ireland look at what he has done over the last two years as that was when he was truely in charge.

this all went down a few days after marshall had an awful game and got smoked all night against atlanta

I think Philbin demanding Ireland trade Vontae is something most fans are definitely missing. Fans are looking to bag on Ireland any way they can without even looking at the truth. It's like everyone blaming Ireland for the drafts and personel decisions when Parcells was in charge. Nothing got done without Parcell's approval as he had the final say. If you seriously want to judge Ireland look at what he has done over the last two years as that was when he was truely in charge.

You missed the sarcasm in my tone. I do not feel in any way whatsoever that Joe Philbin came up with the idea to trade Vontae Davis. I think that is pure fiction. I think at some point (probably when the Colts upped their offer into the serious range of a 3rd rounder), Jeff Ireland and Joe Philbin had a chat. And during that chat, I think Jeff wanted to gauge Joe's opinion on whether it would be OK. And I think Joe said whatever you think is best.

this all went down a few days after marshall had an awful game and got smoked all night against atlanta

nolan carroll looked better than him. wont surprise if nolan wins that job soon.

---------- Post added at 11:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

You missed the sarcasm in my tone. I do not feel in any way whatsoever that Joe Philbin came up with the idea to trade Vontae Davis. I think that is pure fiction.

so u think this is all irelands idea?

Back
Top Bottom