How the Vontae Davis trade went down | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How the Vontae Davis trade went down

Ireland should have held out for 2nd rounder TE Coby Fleener in lieu of that second round pick!

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in_depth/2012/08/the-difference-between-colts-dolphins.html

Obviously Armando was remiss in his re-telling. He clearly forgot the part where Joe Philbin walked into Jeff Ireland's office and demanded that Vontae Davis be traded off the roster.

Wasnt needed. Since the moment Philbin was hired(against Irelands heavy and profanity laced protests) the new coach has been planting subliminal messages to Ireland and everyone else in the facility. This was done in an effort to gain not only total control of the team, but complete control over the thoughts our of players. Knowing Brandon Marshall would be the first to discover such deception, he quickly engineering a scenario to neutralize him. After which he began planting his messages through apparently team building exercises that are meant to bring up feelings of subservient behavior and complacency in mundane activities(example: picking up trash).
Unfortunately for his plans our other intellectual giant, Davis, started to question what was going on around him after breaking the rhythmic exercises that is required for Philbins mind control by constantly going to the bathroom. Not only did this delay the inevitable conclusion but this personally offended Philbin. Players using the bathroom? The thought! Leaning on Ireland, who at this point had given up the futile struggle and was sulking in dispair over his situation, Philbin pushed for the Davis trade. It was his most diabolical play yet, by pointing out the bathroom breaks as team cancerous activity he maintained his credibility(admittedly the team was a bit puzzled by his vehemence towards urinating).

For those proud brave souls who see this through obvious plan, do not worry. There is 1 man still left in the lockerroom who has the mental capacity, popular support, and deep understanding of the human psyche left to thwart Philbin: Karlos Dansby.

[video=youtube;FNMc4qV3dwI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNMc4qV3dwI[/video]

Yes Ireland's trade but at some point prior he and Philbin had to have agreed that moving Vontae was a possibility and acceptable to both.

That doesn't make it a Joe Philbin trade the way everyone is talking about. Yes I believe they had a chat and I believe Philbin said "Whatever you think is best" or something wishy-washy like that, which is exactly Joe's style.

With all due respect, and not trying to start an argument, I question the idea that you, me or anyone else on here is a better talent evaluator than a professional coaching staff.

Excellent point! You did forget to emphasize that Coyle's defenses are known for good secondary play and good linebacker play. These area stood out to me as improved during the third preseason game.

Im not mad we traded Vontae. I just think we really should have used the trade to try help support our rookie QB that is throwing to one rosterable NFL receiver at the moment.

The silver lining in all this is ... The conditional 6th rounder is going to be higher than the 5th round because Indy traded their 2013 5th rounder to another team. So IMHO that conditional 6th rounder is either a 4th or 3rd in 2013 or another pick in 2014. If Vontae Davis doesn't perform, Miami made out great. If Davis performs in Indy they make out great. But at least we can speculate about that 6th rounder being something more beneficial to Ireland in the near future.

With all due respect there are about half a dozen guys on this site that are better talent evaluators than Ireland. Take a trip to the draft forum sometime.

I assume you have seen on Hard Knocks that Ireland sits in meetings taking notes when the coaching staff is discussing player performance. For an existing player on our roster, the coaching staff is the primary talent evaluators. Do you think you are a better evaluator than the coaching staff?

I think most people are assuming that this is a Joe Philbin trade. This is not a Joe Philbin trade.

Do you really think that Ireland would just trade away a player that Philbin wants on his team? I doub that very much. The whole thing started with Philbin, when he demoted and reprimanded Davis - not with Indy's call to Ireland. You are trying too hard to spin this against Ireland, and I think its a bit insincere to insunuate that Ireland didn't consult Philbin at all about trading Davis.

Excellent point! You did forget to emphasize that Coyle's defenses are known for good secondary play and good linebacker play. These area stood out to me as improved during the third preseason game.
We don't know what Coyle's defenses are known for since he's never been a defensive coordinator before in the NFL.

Ireland got good value in this trade. Davis will always be a really physically talented player, but will never reach his shutdown corner potential. In the short-term this weakens our secondary but it's a good move for the long-term IF (and it's a big IF) Ireland can put that 2nd round pick to good use.

That doesn't make it a Joe Philbin trade the way everyone is talking about. Yes I believe they had a chat and I believe Philbin said "Whatever you think is best" or something wishy-washy like that, which is exactly Joe's style.

Given your background with the draft and our new standings with picks we now have and the rounds we have to use them. Is this upcoming draft strong for the position of needs we have at this point

Wr, Db, S, DE?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 12:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Ireland got good value in this trade. Davis will always be a really physically talented player, but will never reach his shutdown corner potential. In the short-term this weakens our secondary but it's a good move for the long-term IF (and it's a big IF) Ireland can put that 2nd round pick to good use.

Of course he did especially if the bidding started at a 6th round pick...

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume you have seen on Hard Knocks that Ireland sits in meetings taking notes when the coaching staff is discussing player performance. For an existing player on our roster, the coaching staff is the primary talent evaluators. Do you think you are a better evaluator than the coaching staff?
You would be assuming too much because I haven't seen hard knocks outside of the first episode that was online.

The coaches evaluate the talent they're given, they're the ones that work with these guys everyday. They hold meetings with them and see if they can retain what's taught in the meeting room out on the field. The coaches should be the main evaluators once the players are signed and on the field. However, player acquisitions which are left to the scouting department and Jeff Ireland is what's lacking here and I do believe there are 6 guys on this site that are better than Jeff Ireland in that department. Coaches are stuck with whoever the GM gives them and they have to decide from those players which ones are worth keeping. If the GM keeps getting you crappy players well then you have to pick the best of the crappy players...but it's still crap.

:lol:

Armando gives a detailed account of the process in which we traded our player and everybody jumps in with "NO NO NO Thats not how it happened! IT CANT BE! Ireland wouldnt do that because i wouldnt want him to do that!!!!" The delusion is hilarious. There isnt a single source out there saying it was Philbin pushing this trade, yet people insist on it like its fact.

After 3 consecutive losing season and a 4th on the way, after screwed up trades, after missed draft picks, after horribly bad free agent signings, after the incompetence during the cutting of Joey Porter, after the Harbaugh fiasco, after the Tannehill lockout, i have no idea why people think they have any accurate clue as to what Jeff Ireland will or wont do at any given moment. And the fierce loyalty he has inspired is baffling.

Take a deep breath. The Lions proved you can rebuild a team within 2 years. The Colts are proving you can do it in a single offseason. The Miami Dolphins were around before Jeff Ireland, they will be around after Jeff Ireland. There is a reason to be a fan and still wish for Ireland to be fired.

Back
Top Bottom