How you guys feeling about the Wes Welker Trade now? | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

How you guys feeling about the Wes Welker Trade now?

WE DIDN'T Trade Welker, he was a restricted Free agent, the patriots could have made the contract impossible for us to match by making the contract gaureteed if he play 4 games in Miami. Kraft and Huizinga talked and the Pats threw in a 7th i think to avoid the bad blood with the poison pill in the contract

You are mostly right, but it did end up being a trade. Since he was an RFA and the Pats had tendered him an offer we would have had to let him go, but I'm guessing we may have dragged our feet. To expedite things and avoid a bad faith deal the Pats threw in a seventh with the second and we made it a sign and trade.

Wes is a great guy who plays hard... no question there. Value wise it was a smart trade without question. Can you name another slot receiver in recent history who got better trade value? Heck, they only got one 2nd rounder for Chambers. Wes got a 2nd and 7th.

Besides, if Wes would have played this last year with the Fins, I can guarantee you that he would not have been as productive as he was in 2006 and would not have gotten anywhere near that value in trade again.

Also, take into account all the failed QB's the Fins traded 2nd round picks for the past few years... Satele is worth more to this team right now than all of those failed QB's AND Welker put together. You cannot build or anchor a team around a slot receiver, but you can around a good OL.

with us starting 3 QB's, he wouldnt have had more than 60 catches, gaaaruuuaaanteeeeed

I would still make the trade in a heartbeat. Welker is a very good slot receiver. But that is it. He is in the perfect offense. Randy Moss requires so much attention that it opens up the underneath part of the field a lot. Welker is then given either one on one or a zone to deal with. Then Brady has absolutely all day to sit in the pocket and read the field. That allows Welker to have plenty of time to find the right hole in the zone or run away from the guy covering him.

His YPC went up .8 yards from last year with us. And I'm pretty sure I heard that he led the league in yards after catch. Yes he is ellusive. But it also speaks to all of that attention Moss and even Stallworth get.

I just don't see how he would have helped our offense more than Satele did. And I dont' see how he puts up near the numbers he did in NE without Moss/that offensive line/ and Brady. He is a glorified Brandon Stokely who did essentially the same thing in another perfect offense in which the other recievers drew all the attention and the QB had all day to throw the ball. The Fins didn't have any of that so therefore Welker's value was severely limited to us.

Stud O-Lineman > Stud Slot WR

it was good for us at the time...satele will be a pro bowl caliber center in years to come

easily would have done the trade again... 2nd round pick for a number 3 receiver, every team in the league would pull that trade and they would be dumb not too...

regardless of how Wes did there, he was still only our number 3 receiver... he can not be anything more than that because he generally can not get separation from cornerbacks... but he does excel when covered by linebackers and safeties out of the slot...

hes a great number 3 receiver to have... fits the Pats well with their pass happy, 3-wide sets, but i would repeat that trade any time...

and lol@thinking parcells wouldn't trade a 3rd wr for a 2nd round pick... especially if he knew hed end up with a great lineman out of it

the same ppl that are crying we should of never traded Wes probably would be crying we should of traded Wes if he was still on this team and had an avg year with us.

I'm still fine with it. And the people that are really still ticked off at the world over it...don't understand football. If you think Welker, on this years 1-15 team, would have been even remotely as productive as he was with the "historically great-undefeated-we have Brady-we have Moss" patriots team....then your borderline crazy.

Welker had 1 TD catch in his time in Miami. Granted he didnt always have the best QBs throwing to him...but he still wasn't overly productive. Nice player, hard-nosed...not much else. If he was with the Dolphins this past year....half the league would still have no idea who he was and his stats would have been half of what they were in NE....and less TD catches.

When we played New England Last year and beat them. Bill Belichick watched the tapes and said that Wes single handily beat them. He was so Impressed that he traded for him.

You guys ripped me in the beginning of the year when I posted (How do we get rid of this guy Wes Welker) I wonder if you FOOLS still feel the same way and if you do you should be fired like Cam.

We should have a first round pick for this guy.

Its a no brainer now. Satele may be a solid center for some years, we still dont know, but Welker no doubt will continue to put up big numbers in NE. Even on a bad offense last year look what he did. What a weapon....:boohoo:

When we traded Wes we had no idea who we were going to get! How do you feel about are first round pick.

What does the first round pick have to do with this thread? The fact is NE was prepared to use a poison pill RFA contract to get Wes and there was nothing we could do about it. We got a 2nd and 7th round picks for a guy we picked up off the street.

I just saw that Welker had 8 TD's to all of our WR's 7 TD's. Still that deal was a no-brainer. Just throwing a stat out there.

It was a good trade for the Dolphins because Welker wouldn't have done that much this past year if he was still in Miami. A lot of his success has to do with the system and the players the Patriots have. He wouldn't probably even do very well on most other teams other than maybe the Colts. It has to do with the system and the quarterback.

Stud O-Lineman > Stud Slot WR

Jumpin the gun here chief if you think Satele is a "stud" O lineman. He is a rookie who had a solid campaign. how can you even judge him yet?? He may become a mediocre lineman for years OR make a couple pro bowls down the road. He's a rookie, and to say Satele is a stud lineman is to say Derek Hagan is a stud #1 wideout.

You are mostly right, but it did end up being a trade. Since he was an RFA and the Pats had tendered him an offer we would have had to let him go, but I'm guessing we may have dragged our feet. To expedite things and avoid a bad faith deal the Pats threw in a seventh with the second and we made it a sign and trade.

That's why they are going to the Super Bowl and we won 1 game.

Back
Top Bottom