Hull? Godchaux vs. Yanda? 5 Dolphins to watch tonight | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hull? Godchaux vs. Yanda? 5 Dolphins to watch tonight

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
This is the first night to see Jay Cutler in game conditions, so he’s the obvious Dolphins player everyone will be watching. But here are five others to key on in the Dolphins second preseason game against Baltimore at Hard Rock Stadium:
1. Mike Hull. Look, Hull is a valuable part of the team. Hull and Michael Thomas had 18 special-team tackles for the Dolphins last year, tied for second in the league behind New England’s Nate Ebner (19), according to Football Outsiders. No one else had more than 15. The question is whether Hull is a valuable Larry Izzo-type, a special-teamer par excellence, or a starting middle linebacker. There are doubts about this inside the organizaiton. Night like Thursday will provide another look toward a conclusion. The working idea is they’re going to find a veteran run-stopping middle linebacker to replace the injured Raekwon McMillan. They brought in a couple for a workout this week (Rey Maualuga, Kelvin Sheppard). If neither is signed, the cut-down date on Sept. 2 will bring another look. The other option is to move Lawrence Timmons or Kiko Alonso inside and play Neville Hewitt in the base. Tonight is Hull’s chance to answer some questions about him as a middle linebacker in the base defense.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/fl-sp-hyde5-hull-godchaux-20170817-story.html

It seems it would be Suh vs Yanda and not Godchaux but all three of these guys will likely get one series, if that.

How about (for one series), Jay Cutler vs that Baltimore secondary. This will be a tough test.

I'm more interested in Allen than Hull honestly... Eric Smith again, see if he can put out another solid performance, same with Asiata. Wanna get some more looks at Godchaux (I disagree Eesti, I think he will get more than one series, suh/yanda- yeah no, but for a rookie... yeah get him reps)... agree with Verner, his signing could be a big blessing. Hopefully Cutler looks half decent out there. Just roll with Williams/ back up rbs, don't need Ajayi taking unnecessary hits

I'm more interested in Allen than Hull honestly... Eric Smith again, see if he can put out another solid performance, same with Asiata. Wanna get some more looks at Godchaux (I disagree Eesti, I think he will get more than one series, suh/yanda- yeah no, but for a rookie... yeah get him reps)... agree with Verner, his signing could be a big blessing. Hopefully Cutler looks half decent out there. Just roll with Williams/ back up rbs, don't need Ajayi taking unnecessary hits

Yeah I didn't mean to include Godchaux in that group. He will likely get a long look tonight...but primarily against Jermaine Eluemunor. (Texas A&M vs LSU played final regular season game last year.)

I just hope J-Train sits this one out.

Let's see what we have in D. Williams and our other RBs.

Do the smart thing, Adam.

Are we expecting two quarters out of Cutler? Is Carroo going to play? Assuming Ajayi doesn't play (I hope he doesn't) and Drake in concussion protocol, we should end up seeing a whole lot of Damien Williams....or maybe Gase will be careful with him and we will see a heavy dose of De'Veon Smith?

No reason to plsy Williams a lot tonight. We know by now what he can do. They need to play the other guys more at RB. The two rookie DT's plus Phillips need to be out there a lot. I am worry about the o-line (been worry about the o-line for years now) protecting Cutler. Sounds as it could be more back ups tonight than starters once again. Agree we need to see what the corners can do and of course the biggest one is the MLB position. I want to see what both Hull and Allen can do.

P.S. and please, no more freak injuries

Ozzy rules!!

Storm Johnson may get an extended look tonight. He played well on special teams in the first preseason game...if he can add something as a running back then D. Williams may be getting some competition.

I expect the offensive regulars to get a longer look than the defensive regulars. While Cutler is out there we will see the first team OL and I think he will go a little more than one quarter. When he goes out though, all of the offensive starters go out.

Defense will make a quick appearance then all get pulled and put in wool for safe keeping. TJ McDonald is the only starter type I expect to see for long.

This is going to be all about Cutler, so I will be curious to see how long they let him go.

To avoid injuries every starter should be put on the PUP list

Eric Smith could be a huge blessing that's much needed. He looked awesome last week. The same goes for Davon. He looks like he's the wide 9 dt we've been looking for to help Suh out. He gets up the field and is strong as hell. Pretty excited that they work out and earn their spot on the team. Phillips apparently isn't good enough or doesn't get it.

Well... sorry to be the party pooper.. But Howard got beat often and was playing like a rookie. On one play, he even forgot to touch the WR who almost scored a TD. I'm not buying the hype with Howard just yet.

I'm sorry. I like Hull, but there's a reason he isn't starting. His instincts may be off the charts, but his size is too limiting. It's also the reason Kiko moved outside. In this scheme, the middle linebacker is going to have to take on blocks. We don't have a scheme that allows the MLB to run around clean. Even Zach Thomas got swallowed up when Bowens and Gardner couldn't keep him clean. Hull may be the scrappiest player in the NFL, but ultimately it won't matter unless he's figured out how to take on blocks or avoid blocks to get to ball carriers.

Today should be the Storm Johnson and Senorise Perry show. We don't have healthy WRs, no qb should have to really show off anything, and our OL needs to show that they can create lanes.

On Defense, we should all be watching the LB and cb reserves.

Back
Top Bottom