Hurricane Irma Only thread | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hurricane Irma Only thread

Tropical Storm Jose is now a hurricane and Tropical depression 13 is now Hurricane Katia in the Gulf.

2 pm Sunday the eye of the hurricane is on my house with the 5 p.m. Cone update

Tempted to leave to family in Plant City if this remains this way this time tomorrow.

2 pm Sunday the eye of the hurricane is on my house with the 5 p.m. Cone update

Tempted to leave to family in Plant City if this remains this way this time tomorrow.

Not any good news today - unfortunately.

The new code is 8" walls made of steel reinforced CBS I believe (first floor). Interior doesn't matter unless you build a safe room. Interior is standard wood and/or metal u-channel with drywall sheets.

Houses build under the old code can easily survive if the roof to house connections have been upgraded and window opening are covered with approved shutters and/or windows.
My house is a 79 build and the roof was connected with toenails (as it was standard). I upgraded to straps on every truss and also installed Cat 5 approved windows. The only thing this house will tear down is a tornado which unfortunately you find in abundance in hurricanes. Those tornados were the main culprit during Andrew who had an estimated 900 tornadoes in or near the eye wall. I doubt Andrew alone would have caused such damage, It was a Cat IV Hurricane.

EDIT: let me correct that. Not actually Tornadoes. Those funky spinning mini tornadoes. I think they call them micro bursts or something.
You're correct, they are called Micro Burst. I had a micro burst touch down in my area in NJ back in June of 2016 and had a tree barely miss my house, but unfortunately that tree landed on one of my cars in the driveway. It came out of nowhere, scary stuff to witness. Thank you for the information, I'm very curious about all this due to the change in weather patterns these last few years. I've been online looking for info about hurricane grade material and proofing a home. Stay safe and hope to hear from you again.

5 p.m. Cone

210044_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Just got a call from JEA (Jax Electric Authority) about emergency services and possible power outages. **** is getting real in NE Florida now.

Getting a couple of Broward County-wide robo calls, the last one announcing a mandatory evacuation east of Federal Highway,trailer parks and low-lying areas. 14 shelters will be open at 1...bring your own supplies.

Getting a couple of Broward County-wide robo calls, the last one announcing a mandatory evacuation east of Federal Highway,trailer parks and low-lying areas. 14 shelters will be open at 1...bring your own supplies.

Yup- same here.

Back
Top Bottom