*** Hurricane Recruiting News *** | Page 7 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

*** Hurricane Recruiting News ***

With Bryce Brown..if you're him, where would you rather go? Oregon or Miami? Oregon has probably one of the top NCAA offenses in D-1 today, Miami is (or at least seems like) one of the worst in the NCAA statistically. I love the Canes, but if I'm Brown, I go to Oregon.

I do hope he goes to UM though. He and Lamar Miller would be sick.

If all he cared about was putting up big numbers, then yeah a Pac-10 team would probably be the choice.

But if he wants to go to the NFL, play with his brother, contend for national championships, and go to one of the most storied college football programs in the country, then Miami's the choice.

Edit: Obviously if he went to Oregon he'd still go to the NFL, but Miami is known for producing top-tier running backs.

Oregon hasn't done a bad job lately either.

Miami hasn't exactly lived up to the "storied" NCAA in recent years as well. What makes you think we'll be contending for national titles? We can't even win our own division in the ACC.

Last edited by a moderator:
If all he cared about was putting up big numbers, then yeah a Pac-10 team would probably be the choice.

But if he wants to go to the NFL, play with his brother, contend for national championships, and go to one of the most storied college football programs in the country, then Miami's the choice.

Edit: Obviously if he went to Oregon he'd still go to the NFL, but Miami is known for producing top-tier running backs.

short selling ORegon just a bit. Dennis Dixon doesn't tear his ACL, they're in the BCS Championship game last year, and they were still a very good team this year with a lot of returning talent.

You also have great facilities, a great HC in Belloti, a great OC in Chip Kelly, and a Pac-10 conference that is gonna be wide open with USC losing so many experienced players.

Plus, when you see what Jonathan Stewart did there, as well as Jeremiah Johnson (who will be in the NFL just a mid rounder) it's a very attractive place for any RB.

Oregon also does a decent job in recruiting. They aren't gonna pull in multiple 5 stars a year, but they do get a bevy of talented 4*s and are putting players in the NFL.

Arthur Brown is gonna be huge for the Canes, but there are rumors among other boards that Bryce is more interested in being his own man and not riding on his brother's coattails

They had at least 2-3 guys at RB this year that could be playing in the NFL. Plus, they still managed to have a decent team with what seemed like the 10th string QB.

He'd put up insane stats in that offense, they have a shot to win the Pac-10, they have great coaching (especially on the offensive side of the ball), and they're the #1 game in town. Hard to pass up UO, as much as I dislike their team, and would rather that Bryce be on the Hurricanes.

Oregon hasn't done a bad job lately either.

Miami hasn't exactly lived up to the "storied" NCAA in recent years as well. What makes you think we'll be contending for national titles? We can't even win our own division in the ACC.

We haven't been very good lately. For an incredibly young team, I thought we played pretty well this year. Our guys really hit a wall after the Va Tech game. I think with this new class coming in, it's really shoring up some big need areas. If we land Bryce and one of those top 2 receivers, there's no reason to think that this team won't be competing for a national title in two years. Next year will be a tough year as well, I believe, with Oklahoma and Clemson at home, and FSU, UNC, and Va Tech on the road. I think 8-9 wins for next year.

short selling ORegon just a bit. Dennis Dixon doesn't tear his ACL, they're in the BCS Championship game last year, and they were still a very good team this year with a lot of returning talent.

You also have great facilities, a great HC in Belloti, a great OC in Chip Kelly, and a Pac-10 conference that is gonna be wide open with USC losing so many experienced players.

Plus, when you see what Jonathan Stewart did there, as well as Jeremiah Johnson (who will be in the NFL just a mid rounder) it's a very attractive place for any RB.

Oregon also does a decent job in recruiting. They aren't gonna pull in multiple 5 stars a year, but they do get a bevy of talented 4*s and are putting players in the NFL.

Arthur Brown is gonna be huge for the Canes, but there are rumors among other boards that Bryce is more interested in being his own man and not riding on his brother's coattails

Saying something like that is going to lose someone's interest real quick. And if you think he wants to 'be his own man', why did he commit to Miami 2 months after national signing day last year? He's already committed to Miami! If he didn't want to follow his brother, he wouldn't have committed so early. If they're as close as everyone says they are, then this is a done deal. Bryce knows what's up. He's not going to split his family up like that. He's going to be the next in line from a stable of NFL superstars - not just one guy who has had a nice rookie year. I'm excited for him to get here and make a big impact. Maybe not this year, but soon enough.

Off the top of the head how many RB's can u think of in the NFL? How many Miami ones can you think of. Edgerin James, Clinton Portis, Willis Mcgahee, Frank Gore, Njeh Davenport. Stats arent everything especially when ur going against those wack defenses Oregon is going against. If he just wants to put up big numbers in college go to Oregon, if he wants to be something in the NFL go to Miami.

On another note, I disagreed with Shanon before about the Pro Set, but ive changed my mind and support it all the way. Thats what develops these players the most for NFL talent, and is a huge seller to top recruits who want to play in the NFL.

My message to Ruben Randle is how many Oklahoma State WR's can u name in the NFL? How many Miami WR's in the league right now? Santana Moss, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Roscoe Parish, Sinorice Moss.

BTW, the next recruiting class in Miami is supposed to be the best it has ever been. Miami will be in the ACC championship next year, and be back on top the following year.

Cane we just now went after Greg Reid.

Lowndes (Ga.) cornerback Greg Reid recently opened up his commitment after being committed to Florida since last February.

Now, a number of schools have jumped at the opportunity to recruit Reid, the second-best cornerback and 15th overall prospect according to ESPN.com.

"It's been crazy with people calling me," Reid said.

Reid recently took an official visit to Florida State and is headed to Florida this weekend. Then, he will take a visit to Alabama on January 23 followed by a visit to Georgia on January 30.

As of now, he has one visit open and that could be a trip to Miami.

"I don't have any time right now, but I'd be very interested going down there," Reid said. "Ray Ray Armstrong told me that's a beautiful place to go visit. It's a possibility."

Reid wants to get another visit in, possibly during the week, with signing day coming up on February 4 although prospects do have time after signing day to ink their letter of intent.

Miami assistant coach Clint Hurtt visited Reid earlier this week and UM is expected to visit again next week.

"Miami is Miami," Reid said. "South Beach. The University of Miami, I like the type of atmosphere around the team, but other than that, they had a good recruiting class last year and a good one this year."

Reid developed a good relationship with Armstrong, a Miami commit, at the Under Armour All-American Game in Orlando earlier this month.

"He was real cool," Reid said.

Within the last month, just before the Under Armour game, Reid found out one of his cousins is Jamal Reid, a Miami commit from Mayo, Fla.

"We found out and I have talked to him a little bit," Greg said.

Doesnt sound all that great, but see if u hear anything.

I don't think it's a question of bringing talented kids into the program, because it's something we've always been able to do. My problem is that we don't develop that talent once they set foot on campus.

Ryan Moore sets Frosh receiving marks in 2003. What happened after 2004? Lance Leggett, same thing.

We haven't developed a great set of players on campus since probably the end of 2003, and I've seen nothing that makes me change my mind about that lately. Remember when Javarris was supposed to be the next big thing? Cooper? Or when Coker's 2004 class was supposed to be one of the "best ever"?

What happened to all of these kids?

I don't think it's a question of bringing talented kids into the program, because it's something we've always been able to do. My problem is that we don't develop that talent once they set foot on campus.

Ryan Moore sets Frosh receiving marks in 2003. What happened after 2004? Lance Leggett, same thing.

We haven't developed a great set of players on campus since probably the end of 2003, and I've seen nothing that makes me change my mind about that lately. Remember when Javarris was supposed to be the next big thing? Cooper? Or when Coker's 2004 class was supposed to be one of the "best ever"?

What happened to all of these kids?

Well, now you're talking about Larry Coker. Coker and his staff didn't develop those guys on the offensive side of the ball. I can't even think of one recruit that Larry Coker recruited on offense, that developed into a star on his or Randy's watch. With Randy's guys I can sense something different. I LOVE Aldarius Johnson. I think he's the real deal. A star in the making. Not like Sam Shields - but a real star. Then we have a bunch of the what if's with Collier, Benjamin, and Byrd. You have to figure one of those guys could be the split end. I've never really been sold on Cooper, but if we got Bryce Brown - I mean, he has to be good right? #1 recruit in the country. And as for the QB - I like Jacory. I think he has to get more comfortable in the offense and work with his receivers a little more, but I think he could be a great leader in this offense.

Who was the DC on Coker's staff though? Randy Shannon. You can't give him a pass for all of those years just because he wasn't the HC.

My point is, we've heard for years from this same group that each class is going to be one of the GOATs, and they end up as the WOATs. It can't be that all of these kids are terrible, because they were/are all highly recruited by other teams. There's got to be something else amiss. Normally, when this is pointed out, people go "Well, you can't trust the star system", yet when they praise Shannon, it's because of his ability to bring these top "stars" in. You can't have it both ways.

Kyle Wright was the #1 recruit in the country at the time he was recruited too. Now he's probably working at In-N-Out in Northern California. That said, I think Brown will turn out to be better than Wright. I still think Lamar Miller is the better back between the two.

I realize that many people love Shannon because he's a former Cane and all, but I just don't think he's the right guy for this job. I hope to hell he proves me wrong, but there hasn't been anything I've seen from his first 2 years as HC that have me sold on him yet.

Who was the DC on Coker's staff though? Randy Shannon. You can't give him a pass for all of those years just because he wasn't the HC.

My point is, we've heard for years from this same group that each class is going to be one of the GOATs, and they end up as the WOATs. It can't be that all of these kids are terrible, because they were/are all highly recruited by other teams. There's got to be something else amiss. Normally, when this is pointed out, people go "Well, you can't trust the star system", yet when they praise Shannon, it's because of his ability to bring these top "stars" in. You can't have it both ways.

Kyle Wright was the #1 recruit in the country at the time he was recruited too. Now he's probably working at In-N-Out in Northern California. That said, I think Brown will turn out to be better than Wright. I still think Lamar Miller is the better back between the two.

I realize that many people love Shannon because he's a former Cane and all, but I just don't think he's the right guy for this job. I hope to hell he proves me wrong, but there hasn't been anything I've seen from his first 2 years as HC that have me sold on him yet.

That's why I emphasized OFFENSIVE players. The defense was still solid! They continued the first round streak. Kenny Phillips, Jon Beason, Kelly Jennings, Antrel Rolle, Brandon Meriweather, Vince Wilfork, Calais Campbell...bunch of guys. Shannon's always developed his guys. In fact, it seems like the D has weakend since he left his D-Coordinator role. But I think Young has them on the way back up.

The offense always has been the question mark on the team. Alot of If's and But's. Is Harris a capable Pro-Style QB? I'm not sure, he was recruited mainly for the spread offense system. The D has let us down in certain spots (see the GT game) and they still can't stop a running QB. I don't mean to sound like a Pessimist, but there haven't been a whole lot of things to get excited about the last few years. 2006's D was terrible, so was 2007s, and so was 2008s, outside of the UF game the 2nd week of the season.

The handling of the clock management bothers me too. But that's another issue that could deserve it's own thread.

If he has another bad season this year, are there still going to be kids lining up to be on the Hurricanes ship when they could go to a program like UF, USC, UGa, LSU, or any other teams on the rise? Considering what our schedule looks like this coming year, I'm not expecting a whole lot.

That's why I emphasized OFFENSIVE players. The defense was still solid! They continued the first round streak. Kenny Phillips, Jon Beason, Kelly Jennings, Antrel Rolle, Brandon Meriweather, Vince Wilfork, Calais Campbell...bunch of guys. Shannon's always developed his guys. In fact, it seems like the D has weakend since he left his D-Coordinator role. But I think Young has them on the way back up.

Calais Campbell was a 2nd round pick....and was one of the main culprits of Coker's holdovers that quit on Shannon his first year...they tanked it at the end of the season....resulting in embarrasing blowouts by Virginia 48-0.... Virginia Tech 44-14, etc...

Campbell never developed after his sophomore season...he regressed...

I was never a fan of Shannon playing his favorites over guys that were better. Romeo Davis for example.

Back
Top Bottom