Hyde: 10 simple steps to solve — well, help — this Dolphins offseason | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde: 10 simple steps to solve — well, help — this Dolphins offseason

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
Quarterback Ryan Tannehill comes off knee surgery and, at 30, has shown goodness but needs that elusive step to greatness. The defensive coordinator mentioned a need to get someone to cover tight ends, meaning the two safeties (Jones, T.J. McDonald) and linebacker (Kiko Alonso) they’ve invested heavily in can’t do it.
750x422

Add it all up and the Dolphins are a collection of players more than a well-constructed team. That’s on Mike Tannenbaum’s front office. So how to solve things this off-season?
You can’t. You’re not catching New England in the AFC East as long as Tom Brady and Bill Belichick stay. You’re trying to catch Buffalo as one of the fortunate teams that slip in the playoffs. So know the mission, cross your fingers and …
1. Make some obvious salary cuts. Julius Thomas ($6.5 million), Lawrence Timmons ($5.5 million), Ja’Wuan James ($9.3 million) give you some breathing room from the salary cap. Not much. You’d have about $31 million to spend now. Center Mike Pouncey is another question. He can’t practice much. He celebrated playing 16 healthy games. With a decent roster, you’d save $8 million by cutting him. As it is, I see if if a smaller-priced free agent like Baltimore center Ryan Jensen is do-able. If not, there are enough issues and not much money without adding another need.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-hyde-miami-dolphins-20180219-story.html

decent. I would stay far as hell from the off line. This has been an underachieving group - period. I also would search for a true LT, and that's what the splash should be on. People here forget about Richmond Webb. Everyone wants to keep harping on the playoff season in 2016, well most of the success, those 7 wins in a row, were from Albert playing LT. Gase keeps lying to us saying Pouncey, James and Tunsil grade well

He says smart teams don't pay players like Landry big money, but he advocates Miami paying Landry big money. Wtf? He was right and he should have stopped at " good teams don't pay big money to players like Landry".

He says smart teams don't pay players like Landry big money, but he advocates Miami paying Landry big money. Wtf? He was right and he should have stopped at " good teams don't pay big money to players like Landry".
so who do you pay? They developed Vernon, Mathews and Miller and let them walk. Is this the trend of this team? But, mediocre players like Tannehill get $17M a year? Seems we have our priorties wrong

Get better scouts -> Draft better players -> Profits... We've had the same scouts for an eternity IIRC, they've survived multiple regimes... WHY?

Get better scouts -> Draft better players -> Profits... We've had the same scouts for an eternity IIRC, they've survived multiple regimes... WHY?
Grier was a scout, and now he is GM lol

I think by this time next year you could see some changes as Gase exerts himself more and more.

so who do you pay? They developed Vernon, Mathews and Miller and let them walk. Is this the trend of this team? But, mediocre players like Tannehill get $17M a year? Seems we have our priorties wrong

Thats hilarious coming from some one whose SN is Tannchise lol.. but tannehill at 17 mill is a good deal have you seen what QBs are making? go do some research and see where he stands on a salary rankings.

Well I agree with much of it. Resigning Laundry and I would attempt James on a one year gig. The draft I disagree on a QB until the 5th round unless a pure stud falls like Tunsil did and then all bets are off. I have 3 issues to solve in this draft. Linebacker, tight end and offensive line. We have a 2nd round linebacker waiting in the wings from last year McMillan and used this years 5th on a former 1st round linebacker trade from the Saints so maybe we are not in that bad of shape. The key though is covering those tight ends. So maybe drafting a big Safty like James from Miami is the key. Next we have been piddling around with fa tight end in fa for years so its time to take a long look in the 2nd round, high 3rd round by golly should offer a decent guard and if not please please hire a decent Oline coach , our 1st 4th rounder will need to be spent on replacing Ajayi unless we get a decent fa pickup, I trade back that 2nd 4th rounder for linebacker depth and that QB in the 5th round I mentioned earlier, 6th round look at tight end area again along with the running back and Oline with the 2 7ths. Please, please please don't overpay in fa this year outside our team or trade away our draft picks to move up in the draft Tbum.

Man everytime you post I get a good laugh. Did you know as of right now in 2018 Tannehill would be the 15th highest paid qb. I expect after free agency he will be the 17th highest because Brees and Cousins will both pass him. There are also guys on their rookie contracts who will probably get more (Wentz, Watson, Mariota, Winston). Lamar Miller on the other hand would be the fifth highest paid RB in the NFL and is losing more carries every game. Vernon is the third highest paid 4-3 DE in the NFL and the fourth highest paid overall and he had 6.5 sacks last year. Matthews is the only guy that you may have any sort of point with and if your best point against overpaying tannehill is letting a 7th round receiver walk who would maybe be a tiny upgrade to any of our top 3 receivers than you need to search for some better arguments.

The logic of signing of Landry because he's the only good player on the Dolphins but good team out overspend for a good player like Landry is self-defeating.

A good team would never spend big money for the slot receiver. The Dolphin aren't a good team and they keep spending big for role players.
Circular logic at best.

And letting all of them walk, were smart decisions. Miller has been a bust since leaving and was the smartest decision of the three. Running backs are a dime a dozen. Vernon was vastly overpaid. He had a good first year for the Giants, but this past season he underachieved relative to his contract. The strongest case could be made for Mathews, but the team felt they were set at the position with the players ahead of him on the depth chart and retaining him was unnecessary.

The Patriots let guys they develop walk out the door all the time rather than over paying them. Hell, they even go a step further, they trade them before they have to pay them.

So, to answer your question on who do you pay, in my opinion, almost nobody. You pay elite pass rushers, qb's, elite corners and elite left tackles and that's about it. Paying Suh what he is getting paid is stupid and paying what Landry will get is stupid also. What Tannehill is getting paid is a bargain when you look at what the pay scale of a competent NFL starting quarterback makes. I know you are going to make your snide comment about Tannehill being a competent starting qb, but he has shown, in my opinion, enough to believe he will out perform his contract. If he doesn't do that this season, the Dolphins will be in a good position, contract wise, to move on from him next year.

I'd say he's pretty spot on, especially with his analysis of free agency and not spending big.

I would go a little further with quarterback, though. If Miami sees an upgrade among the top four quarterbacks, do what it takes to get one. That's not a knock on Ryan Tannehill, who certainly is solid. But that position is so critical if you can upgrade and find an elite or close to elite player you do it.

Personally, I'm all in on Baker Mayfield, who I think will emerge as the top quarterback from this class (in the right situation).

I think it's more important this year with the Jets primed to get a top signal caller. Miami could jump the Jets if they see the value there.

The logic of signing of Landry because he's the only good player on the Dolphins but good team out overspend for a good player like Landry is self-defeating.

A good team would never spend big money for the slot receiver. The Dolphin aren't a good team and they keep spending big for role players.
Circular logic at best.

Back
Top Bottom