Hyde5: Draft or free agency for Dolphins disastrous LB unit? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde5: Draft or free agency for Dolphins disastrous LB unit?

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
The question is what happens now. The quick answer is what the Dolphins think of Georgia’s Roquan Smith once they get done with their work. They’re the top-rated outside linebackers. He is rated as the most athletic linebacker in the class, a guy who plays sideline-to-sideline in a manner the Dolphins don’t have. In other words, he’d be a fit with the first-round pick, depending on what else is in play (Offensive tackle? Baker Mayfield? We’ll talk these options another day).
Assuming McMillan is health and occupies the middle linebacker spot, the Dolphins need at least one outside linebacker. Here are the top rated outside linebackers as of now (things will change before early March): Philadelphia’s Nigel Bradham (three-down linebacker who is 29 next season); Kansas City’s Dee Ford (10 sacks in 2016 but suffered a back injury early this year); Dallas’ Anthony Hitchens (84 tackles, no sacks, no interceptions this year).
The Dolphins will have about $32 million to spend once they clear the books this off-season. That’s not much considering they’ll need aout $5 million to pay rookies, $12-$14 million to pay Jarvis Landry and another several million just to fill out the roster.
As far as the draft, Boston College’s Harold Landry is the top-rated outside linebacker but he fits a 3-4 defense. He’s a pass rusher. Virginia Tech’s Tremaine Edmunds, Texas’ Malik Jefferson and Georgia’s Lorenzo Carter are players they could expect to go in the second round.
So draft or free agency for the linebackers?
It’s draft. With limited finances, they need to use the money wisely in free agency. Smith could be their top pick. We’ll see where it goes.
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dave-hyde-blog/fl-sp-hyde5-dolphins-lb-20180116-story.html

Just have to wonder how Miami will view Smith. I do think that is the question. I think he's weak side and the team is likely looking for strong side linebacker. That doesn't necessarily take Smith off the table, but it would require moving other pieces around.

Just have to wonder how Miami will view Smith. I do think that is the question. I think he's weak side and the team is likely looking for strong side linebacker. That doesn't necessarily take Smith off the table, but it would require moving other pieces around.

You could put McMillian at SLB..move Kiko to Mike and use Smith a weak, but do you really spend a premium on a wlb? TB got David in the 2nd round.

Alonso played very well at middle in 2016. Any chance of him returning there since he's on the books for next season?

Smith fills the biggest need on the team but certainly getting an undersized LB at pick 11 is not ideal.

The LB group needs a guy who can run and Smith can certainly do that. Like I have said in other threads, have no issues with the pick at 11 but he isn't a guy where you just "run the card up" on. Look at your options and when time is up and he stands out as the best one you take him and you feel good about the pick because he certainly will improve the weakest unit on your defense.

You could put McMillian at SLB..move Kiko to Mike and use Smith a weak, but do you really spend a premium on a wlb? TB got David in the 2nd round.

I almost believe you have to move Kiko to MIKE next year but god McMillan fits in there so well but I guess he could serve as your SAM as he clearly would be your best option, at least in 2018.

At this point to get a premium WILL prospect who can cover the TEs and do well against these RBs coming out of the backfield . . . . I just can't be too upset about it.

Hell Smith would be on the field 100% of the time . . . . and I don't know if you get a better impact from a player on his rookie contract than Smith.

Now in theory we could be talking about Derwin James as the next elite safety in 4 years so that is the risk you take, but if Smith turns into a Bobby Wagner type . . . even though Wagner was a 2nd rounder . . . I think everybody would take that right now and be more than happy with the pick at 11.

A decent FA could be Anthony Hitchens from Dallas. Depending on price of course
Can play all 3 spots.
I say decent cause he isn't elite or great in anything, but a solid to good linebacker who has improved over the years.

That being said, rather continue to build via the draft for LBs

Are there any good FA LBs? Like ever?

Junior Seau was good for a few years for us, not great...Rodney Harrison was the guy to sign from the SD exodus that year.
James Farrior was solid with the Steelers ages ago.
Mike Vrabel with the Pats
Julius Peppers (if you can count him as one) with Green Bay and with Carolina again.
Dansby was good for us for a few years.

Still, they're pretty few and far between. We've certainly missed on our fair share of them.

I'd go draft over FA to get LBs. I'm a bit wary of picking up guys that other teams let go, even if it is over dollar amounts, unless they're Seattle LBs or some crazy bargain.

Two players who fit your criteria are Eagles teammates OLB Nigel Bradham and TE Troy Burton. The Eagles won't be able to sign either.....most likely. On defense they've committed a lot of money to Fletcher Cox, Vinny Curry, Malcolm Jenkins, Rodney McLeod, Timmy Jernigan and Brandon Graham, with Ronald Darby and Jordan Hicks candidates for extensions as well. I didn't even mention fellow OLB Mychal Kendricks because he's the most likely to get cut, as well as OT Jason Peters and WR Torrey Smith.

Burton surely would be re-signed if not for Zach Ertz.

They also will have to deal with Jay Ajayi and a likely demand for a new contract.

So to answer the original question, I'd do both.

Sign Bradham/Draft an OLB
Sign Burton/Draft a TE

Edit: Thought I'd mention I'd be very leery of signing Mychal Kendricks. He's already made big money and he's a smaller guy with a long injury history himself. He's a guy I'd consider signing in June or July.

McMillan is a MLB
R Smith is a WLB
The roster needs a SAM & WIL as it stands.

Awful article. I want my minute and click back. Harold Landry? WTF? I knew all of this before the season even ended.

Lazy ass reporting/journaling.

I could do a thousand times better, and so could >20 members of this board without counting CK, who already does.

I swear these guys all deserve to be fired worse than our LBs do.

Back
Top Bottom