Hyde5: Draft Winds analyzes the draft and Dolphins D | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hyde5: Draft Winds analyzes the draft and Dolphins D

BAMAPHIN 22

FinHeaven Elite
Reaction score
Defensive Tackle: With that in mind, it seems as though the interior of the defensive line is the best place to start. Paul Soliai is a free agent and it seems very unlikely that a cap-strapped Jeff Ireland is going to be able to afford the big NT and bring in a FA passer. Soliai has been very strong for the past two seasons and flashed moments of total dominance; ask Nick Mangold. He made the Pro Bowl in 2012, although his 2011 season was much better. Unfortunately, despite his agent saying that a deal could be done in 15 minutes, it’s almost certainly not going to get done and the big man will hit the open market. It’s a shame for three reasons; the first is that he’s very good. Secondly, when you work hard and nurture and goad and trust a player and see him develop only to have him walk, it’s disappointing. And finally, he’s what makes this entire defense tick in the run game. That will be hard to replace.http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/spo...aveHyde-blog+(Dave+Hyde+|+Sun+Sentinel+blogs)

Completely agree with Boomer here about Kirkpatrick. He's not what you're looking for if you're in the market for a slot CB who's pure in man coverage. However, he's a beautiful fit for a Cover-2 style defense. He just doesn't quite have the fluidity in his hips to excel in man coverage. However, he's the best tackling CB I've seen since Charles Woodson, which is where he's an entirely different player than Sean Smith. He's a more physical tackler than any safety in this draft other than Mark Barron. Kirkpatrick delivers so much pop when he hits that he creates fumbles, even when he's taking on 260 pound TE's one-on-one in the open field. Probably not a fit for Miami, but he's going to play in the NFL a long time and make some team happy they got him. He's been taught how to pattern-read by Saban, and does it very well. Saban's defense is more complex than most anything he'll be thrown into in the NFL, which can also be detrimental in the pros.... Kareem Jackson, Javier Arenas, and Rashad Johnson will all vouch.

As for the linebackers, the kid who I think could end up as good a pro as any of them is Mychal Kendricks. His instincts are on a level that is superior to most LB's in college outside of Kuechly. Kendricks looks like an ideal "Ted" linebacker inside a 3-4 or any hybrid scheme.... he enjoys the contact and takes on a lot of pulling guards in the hole, can shed and make the tackle. Him and Hightower are the two best blitzing ILB's I've seen, and both are subject to come off the field on 3rd downs in the NFL. The other thing about Kendricks that stands out is that he doesn't get many of his tackles broken by ball carriers. Once he makes contact the ball carrier is going to the ground. Underrated 'backer who'll make a solid pro.

it's a great read but just like every year for me there are way too many guys being listed who's values i think are inflated on that breakdown...i just think you guys tend to overvalue guys draft values

This has to be the best line in the whole article.:chuckle:
So what of the possibilities for the top 10? Well my favourite defensive player in the Draft is Courtney Upshaw of Alabama, a huge physical freak at 6’2, 269. I think a hybrid defense will suit him very well because he looks to have Lamarr Woodley type of talent in a 3-4, but can also play either as a linebacker in a 4-3 or kick up to end. Some people would call him a tweener, I would call him destructively versatile.

it's a great read but just like every year for me there are way too many guys being listed who's values i think are inflated on that breakdown...i just think you guys tend to overvalue guys draft values

The intention is to take a kitchen sink approach to talking about any and all players that could come into frame at Miami's 1st pick, whether they stay at #8/#9 or whether they trade down.

We can focus on 5 guys to narrow it down later. Now is not appropriate for that.

The intention is to take a kitchen sink approach to talking about any and all players that could come into frame at Miami's 1st pick, whether they stay at #8/#9 or whether they trade down.

We can focus on 5 guys to narrow it down later. Now is not appropriate for that.

i think we can pretty much narrow it down to 5 guys right now but yeah i got to remember that you guys are trying to appeal to a wide audience and laying out all the possibilities for the average fan and not just the guys who are football junkies etc...

i think its fair to say you guys have all the defensive top pick possibilities covered at this point...

Completely agree with Boomer here about Kirkpatrick. He's not what you're looking for if you're in the market for a slot CB who's pure in man coverage. However, he's a beautiful fit for a Cover-2 style defense. He just doesn't quite have the fluidity in his hips to excel in man coverage. However, he's the best tackling CB I've seen since Charles Woodson, which is where he's an entirely different player than Sean Smith. He's a more physical tackler than any safety in this draft other than Mark Barron. Kirkpatrick delivers so much pop when he hits that he creates fumbles, even when he's taking on 260 pound TE's one-on-one in the open field. Probably not a fit for Miami, but he's going to play in the NFL a long time and make some team happy they got him. He's been taught how to pattern-read by Saban, and does it very well. Saban's defense is more complex than most anything he'll be thrown into in the NFL, which can also be detrimental in the pros.... Kareem Jackson, Javier Arenas, and Rashad Johnson will all vouch.

As for the linebackers, the kid who I think could end up as good a pro as any of them is Mychal Kendricks. His instincts are on a level that is superior to most LB's in college outside of Kuechly. Kendricks looks like an ideal "Ted" linebacker inside a 3-4 or any hybrid scheme.... he enjoys the contact and takes on a lot of pulling guards in the hole, can shed and make the tackle. Him and Hightower are the two best blitzing ILB's I've seen, and both are subject to come off the field on 3rd downs in the NFL. The other thing about Kendricks that stands out is that he doesn't get many of his tackles broken by ball carriers. Once he makes contact the ball carrier is going to the ground. Underrated 'backer who'll make a solid pro.
Slimm what's the verdict on Josh Chapman? Can this kid play the NT in a 3-4?

Slimm what's the verdict on Josh Chapman? Can this kid play the NT in a 3-4?

I don't think there's any question that he can. He did it this year with a torn ACL and meniscus, and never gave an inch. I'm serious, I've never seen him be moved one inch off the football. He'll come off the field on 3rd downs, but as a 2-down/2-gapper, he was essentially the best in the business.

The kid who's a sleeper is his backup, Nick Gentry. He usually played on 3rd downs or in sub packages. He's only 6'1", 285 pounds, but he creates more pressure than any defender on Bama's defense.

It's a fact. It's not Upshaw. Nick Gentry created more pressure on opposing offenses than any other defender. He's not the immovable rock that Chapman is but he's a better pass rusher. Very quick off the snap and plays with insane leverage.

I think Gentry can get in a camp somewhere as a UDFA and stick on a roster, maybe make a rotational DT in the NFL.

I don't think there's any question that he can. He did it this year with a torn ACL and meniscus, and never gave an inch. I'm serious, I've never seen him be moved one inch off the football. He'll come off the field on 3rd downs, but as a 2-down/2-gapper, he was essentially the best in the business.

The kid who's a sleeper is his backup, Nick Gentry. He usually played on 3rd downs or in sub packages. He's only 6'1", 285 pounds, but he creates more pressure than any defender on Bama's defense.

It's a fact. It's not Upshaw. Nick Gentry created more pressure on opposing offenses than any other defender. He's not the immovable rock that Chapman is but he's a better pass rusher. Very quick off the snap and plays with insane leverage.

I think Gentry can get in a camp somewhere as a UDFA and stick on a roster, maybe make a rotational DT in the NFL.
That's what I thought about Chapman. I was thinking the Fins could look at him in the 4th round if he's still on the board. He's kind of an under the radar kid no one talks about.

i think we can pretty much narrow it down to 5 guys right now but yeah i got to remember that you guys are trying to appeal to a wide audience and laying out all the possibilities for the average fan and not just the guys who are football junkies etc...

i think its fair to say you guys have all the defensive top pick possibilities covered at this point...

Exactly right. We give you a feel for how we think about all these guys but we do have to address them all. Then we can narrow it down.

Luke Kuechly just HAS to be in the discussion for #8 or #9. As Slimm likes to point out, the Dolphins once made a mistake taking a kick returner over the best defensive player in the Draft, Patrick Willis. There are guys the Dolphins could take at #8 or #9 over Luke Kuechly that would not upset me, but then there are guys that they could take that absolutely would upset me.

Just watch Kuechly against the Hurricanes. He's ridiculous. Underrated closing speed and athleticism. No linebacker has a better feel for passing lanes than he does. He seems to know where the running back should be going with the ball better than the running back does. And if you want to see a FOOTBALL PLAYER just watch his interception return for a touchdown. There's something you can't coach there. If he were actually slow enough to scare me, there's no way he gets this TD. But he runs full speed with the ball in one hand and using the other hand to stiff arm Travis Benjamin for like 40 yards. That's just just being an excellent football player.

i think chapmans value if he checks out medically falls somewhere around the 100 pick range...

Terrific job CK and Boomer. Really love your analysis and look forward to it every year. Have to say I completely agree on Courtney Upshaw. I think he would be such a great fit for this team and maybe then Miami could draft a RT (Ad****) in round 2. I think Upshaw also fits what Ireland has looked for in early round picks, high motor, character, overachiever.

Luke Kuechly just HAS to be in the discussion for #8 or #9. As Slimm likes to point out, the Dolphins once made a mistake taking a kick returner over the best defensive player in the Draft, Patrick Willis. There are guys the Dolphins could take at #8 or #9 over Luke Kuechly that would not upset me, but then there are guys that they could take that absolutely would upset me.

Just watch Kuechly against the Hurricanes. He's ridiculous. Underrated closing speed and athleticism. No linebacker has a better feel for passing lanes than he does. He seems to know where the running back should be going with the ball better than the running back does. And if you want to see a FOOTBALL PLAYER just watch his interception return for a touchdown. There's something you can't coach there. If he were actually slow enough to scare me, there's no way he gets this TD. But he runs full speed with the ball in one hand and using the other hand to stiff arm Travis Benjamin for like 40 yards. That's just just being an excellent football player.
Got to love Kuechly. Let me ask you this CK, who do you think are the best pass rushers who could be available at the end of round 1 (trade up possibilities) or in early round 2?

Got to love Kuechly. Let me ask you this CK, who do you think are the best pass rushers who could be available at the end of round 1 (trade up possibilities) or in early round 2?

I don't know that I would bother trading up from our 2nd round pick unless we get into a situation where we need Brandon Weeden and can't take the chance that he's there for us at #40. We need our draft picks, have a lot of holes on roster and not a lot of cap money to fill them.

I think Whitney Mercilus could drop and be available at the tail end of the 1st round. I just have a feeling that there will be too much of an Aaron Maybin vibe with him. He really seems to make plays just one way, primarily...and being a one season wonder PLUS being one-dimensional PLUS that one-dimension seeming to only work out for you one way? I mean, that's a red flag to me.

If we're actually considering taking a pass rusher at #40 overall I would consider Malik Jackson if you don't think he'll be there in the 3rd round. I'd prefer to take him with the 3rd round pick but he's a really good player and it's hard to tell what his stock is with the other teams. I like a Cam Johnson a lot. I've just been doing some work on Olivier Vernon and he's giving me some Cam Wake chills at times. He could be a lot better at the next level than he is at the college level.

I haven't really done much work on Chandler Jones yet but that's a guy that supposedly could be available at #40.

I think when you get down to the 3rd rounder that's where guys like Cam Johnson, Malik Jackson, Olivier Vernon and maybe Bruce Irvin start to become a little more attractive though. In all likelihood I'd only use the 2nd rounder on a guy like Johnson or Jackson because they're big in addition to having good burst, and I wouldn't be too interested in the smaller, faster, more one-dimensional guys like Vernon and Irvin until the 3rd round. Get into the 4th round and I like Kyle Wilbur, maybe Jake Bequette.

Back
Top Bottom