Hypothetical QB question to foster debate | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Hypothetical QB question to foster debate

NY8123

The Fixer
Administrator
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Here is a Hypothetical QB question to foster debate about a past decision. I was reading an article on the third best QB in the league behind Brady and Manning. Their opinion was Drew Brees at the three spot. With that assumption here is my question for debate, how well do you think Drew would have faired if he was subjected to the rigors and pains of the Dolphins mismanagement in the past years?

I have mixed opinions on how well Drew would have done with the Phins in 06. He had almost as much to work with offensively as the Saints. Would Chambers still be around? Would Nick Satan still be around? Would the Dolphins have been 1-15 in 07 leading to the Big Tuna and new regime?

I do have the facts thou, Marques Colston out performs Chris Chambers head to head there is no doubt but is Colston better or does Brees get him the ball in a manor more conducive to YAC?

McAllister and Bush are no better in 06 & 07 than Brown and Morris in 06 and Brown and committee in 07 head to head they match up well. In fact the Dolphins averaged 4.1Y/A for both years compared to 3.7Y/A for New Orleans. Bush’s receiving yards are the main difference, racking up 742 in 06 but in 07 Brown is on the same pace with much less to work with at QB. What happens if Brown is healthy with Brees throwing him the pig skin in 06 & 07? I would argue back to back 1800 combine yard seasons from scrimmage is not a stretch.

The Dolphins D gives up 10100 yards over 06 and 07 and the Saints give up 10487 yards. While the glaring difference is Offense, where the Dolphins gain a putrid 9560 to the Saints 12044, it makes me ask if the Phins had singed Brees would their offense have been that much better or would Brees be that much worse?

I ask these questions just to make myself think a little and not to burn too much cranium power, I kill enough with beer, but just think about how one decision leads to the butterfly effect. If Miami had signed Brees would Tuna and Co. be in Miami at all? Would the drastic changes brought to Miami even have occurred? How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie pop? The world may never know! :beer1:

Good points and great analysis.

My answer is no for the Tuna and Co. being here if we had Brees. A good quarterback makes the entire team better, including defense. Like if we were to drive all the way down and turn the ball over, it still gives the defense good field position rather then the defense having to fend off the offense from the 50 yard line.

I still think brees, like any other quarterback we have had would have been plagued by an underachieving team and a lack of good FO decisions.

Here is a Hypothetical QB question to foster debate about a past decision. I was reading an article on the third best QB in the league behind Brady and Manning. There opinion was Drew Brees at the three spot. With that assumption here is my question for debate, how well do you think Drew would have faired if he was subjected to the rigors and pains of the Dolphins mismanagement in the past years?

I have mixed opinions on how well Drew would have done with the Phins in 06. He had almost as much to work with offensively as the Saints. Would Chambers still be around? Would Nick Satan still be around? Would the Dolphins have been 1-15 in 07 leading to the Big Tuna and new regime?

I do have the facts thou, Marques Colston out performs Chris Chambers head to head there is no doubt but is Colston better or does Brees get him the ball in a manor more conducive to YAC?

McAllister and Bush are no better in 06 & 07 than Brown and Morris in 06 and Brown and committee in 07 head to head they match up well. In fact the Dolphins averaged 4.1Y/A for both years compared to 3.7Y/A for New Orleans. Bush’s receiving yards are the main difference, racking up 742 in 06 but in 07 Brown is on the same pace with much less to work with at QB. What happens if Brown is healthy with Brees throwing him the pig skin in 06 & 07? I would argue back to back 1800 combine yard seasons from scrimmage is not a stretch.

The Dolphins D gives up 10100 yards over 06 and 07 and the Saints give up 10487 yards. While the glaring difference is Offense, where the Dolphins gain a putrid 9560 to the Saints 12044, it makes me ask if the Phins had singed Brees would their offense have been that much better or would Brees be that much worse?

I ask these questions just to make myself think a little and not to burn too much cranium power, I kill enough with beer, but just think about how one decision leads to the butterfly effect. If Miami had signed Brees would Tuna and Co. be in Miami at all? Would the drastic changes brought to Miami even have occurred? How many licks does it take to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie pop? The world may never know! :beer1:

I personally like Carson Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger, and Donovan McNabb better than Drew Brees just to name a few.

I also think that Drew Brees would have failed here until this current year with a real coaching staff and FO.

I personally like Carson Palmer, Ben Roethlisberger, and Donovan McNabb better than Drew Brees just to name a few.

I also think that Drew Brees would have failed here until this current year with a real coaching staff and FO.

I dont . I think Brees is way more talented and smart than any qb we have had and currently have as our starter.

As crazy as this sounds coming after 6-10 and 1-15 records, with Brees here and either Saban or Cameron in control, I'm afraid we would have been stuck in the eternal quamire of mediocre football for years to come.

While I've suffered through these last few seasons like everyone else has, I was also tired as h... of those 8-8 seasons as well.

Something had to give and it did.

Now I believe we have the right people in place to finally propel us to the next level.

Just IMHO.

As crazy as this sounds coming after 6-10 and 1-15 records, with Brees here and either Saban or Cameron in control, I'm afraid we would have been stuck in the eternal quamire of mediocre football for years to come.

While I've suffered through these last few seasons like everyone else has, I was also tired as h... of those 8-8 seasons as well.

Something had to give and it did.

Now I believe we have the right people in place to finally propel us to the next level.

Just IMHO.

I think you touch on a great point. With Brees I think the winds of change is no pun intended just a breeze. The Phins go 7-9, 8-8 maybe 10-6 and don't get the fundemental change in structure needed for a decade of sucess. I feel great about the change Tuna and Co. have put forth. It is a ground work for the future, much better than trading now for then.

Here is a Hypothetical QB question to foster debate about a past decision. I was reading an article on the third best QB in the league behind Brady and Manning. Their opinion was Drew Brees at the three spot. With that assumption here is my question for debate, how well do you think Drew would have faired if he was subjected to the rigors and pains of the Dolphins mismanagement in the past years?

Good points. We would have been better with Brees, would be my guess, but how much better is impossible to say.

I don't think the Dolphins had enough talent last year for any QB to have been successful.

Remember, Wannstadt could have drafted Brees in 2002 (or whenever it was) but instead took JAMAR FLETCHER, a Cornerback, when we already had Surtain and Madison!!!

Sorry about the rant, any mention of Drew Brees always reminds me of that.

However, had we drafted him, the question would be this:
Seeing as how Drew Brees took 3 years to become a good QB, would he ever have lasted long enough in Miami to fully develop?

Now to really kick you in the teeth.....

If we signed Brees could we have made a play for R.Moss to play opposite of Chambers and Welker.
So our offensive skill positions could have been ...
WR - R.Moss, C.Chambers, W.Welker
TE - R.Mac
RB - R.Brown, R.Williams
QB - D.Brees

That to go with a top notch defense, sorry I've got to go and cry now.

Now to really kick you in the teeth.....

If we signed Brees could we have made a play for R.Moss to play opposite of Chambers and Welker.
So our offensive skill positions could have been ...
WR - R.Moss, C.Chambers, W.Welker
TE - R.Mac
RB - R.Brown, R.Williams
QB - D.Brees

That to go with a top notch defense, sorry I've got to go and cry now.

Yes and that was the intent of my question, what would it have set off? Moss may have been in Miami and we might have the look of the dare I type it, JETS, older in a lot of positions. I'm not sure that is what you want. There are three front office trademarks or a Tuna team over and over. 1) They are mostly younger with a good mix of veterans to lead. 2) They are young. 3) And the most important in my eyes, they never seem to be in salary cap jail!

I don't know if I would trade Moss and the other what if's for what we seemingly have in place now. The verdict is still out on that what if! ha.

Back
Top Bottom