I am confused as why the Titans have already clinched the division. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I am confused as why the Titans have already clinched the division.

PASQUALE

Seasoned Veteran
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
If the Titans lose out they will be 12-4 (which will happen).

If the Colts win out they will be 12-4 as well. They will have the same division record 4-2 but the Colts would have a a commanding 10-2 in the AFC to the Titans 8-4.

In the Generator on Yahoo.com if the Titans lose 2 they drop down to 5 seed and the Colts move to 2 seed.

Am I missing something?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario?algorithm=custom&15=11515511&16=10005400

Please explain? If the Titans already clinched the division how can they be removed from the 1 or 2 seed. Can the the Colts be robbed of this? Or is the Generator wrong?

Thanks.

GO DOLPHINS!!!

Never mind it corrected it's self. I guess it needs to study it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. You are missing something. Conference record is not the 3rd tiebreaker procedure in DIVISIONAL ties. Its head to head(1), then division record(2), then its record vs. common opponents(3). Which is SMART because divisional teams play FOURTEEN of the same games. So you take each teams records in those 14 games and match them up. This applies even in wildcard ties when breaking a tie between divisional teams. Conference record is the 4th procedure.

Now when breaking ties between non-divisional teams, then conference record is the 2nd step behind head to head.

Back
Top Bottom