I believe we should bring back Hartline | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

I believe we should bring back Hartline

SCLSU Mud Dogs

Foosball is the devil
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
Point is, we have a butt ton of money to spend. If we're going to spend money, I want it to be on players that can impact Tannehill's progress and Miami's overall prowess on offense.

I've seen people on here mention that they think signing Hartline is the kiss of death for Miami drafting a player and bringing in one of the "big 3" wide receivers. Why? Teams in the NFL know that you can never have enough weapons. That's why the Patriots have Gronkowski AND Hernandez, why the Falcons have Jones AND White. If you re-sign Brian Hartline, you have a receiver that has already built rapport with Tannehill. Take six from 40 and you still have 34. Miami is not setting themselves back by signing Hartline. They are simply making sure their investment on Tannehill pays off.

Sometimes, it takes rookies time to adjust. If Miami does decide to use one of their five picks in the first three rounds on a receiver (which I find very likely), what's to say that player will immediately be better than Hartline?

There's been some speculation that Miami parts ways with Bess. Even if Bess stays, a receiving corps with Jennings OR Wallace, Hartline, Bess, Rookie and Matthews is much better than a receiving corps minus Hartline.

The man just had 1,000 yards receiving, I can't really fathom why some of you don't want him as a member of this team.

"But Hartline was the only receiving option Miami had! He had the most balls thrown his way. Who else did Miami have to throw the ball to?"
Yeah, who else did Miami have to throw the ball to? Hartline was the focal point of defenses and he still managed to get open enough to get over 1,000 yards. Lord knows he was one of the only pieces on that offense that actually worked.

My point being: you can re-sign Hartline and still have the means to bring in a free agent and use a draft pick on a receiver.

Point is, we have a butt ton of money to spend. If we're going to spend money, I want it to be on players that can impact Tannehill's progress and Miami's overall prowess on offense.

I've seen people on here mention that they think signing Hartline is the kiss of death for Miami drafting a player and bringing in one of the "big 3" wide receivers. Why? Teams in the NFL know that you can never have enough weapons. That's why the Patriots have Gronkowski AND Hernandez, why the Falcons have Jones AND White. If you re-sign Brian Hartline, you have a receiver that has already built rapport with Tannehill. Take six from 40 and you still have 34. Miami is not setting themselves back by signing Hartline. They are simply making sure their investment on Tannehill pays off.

Sometimes, it takes rookies time to adjust. If Miami does decide to use one of their five picks in the first three rounds on a receiver (which I find very likely), what's to say that player will immediately be better than Hartline?

There's been some speculation that Miami parts ways with Bess. Even if Bess stays, a receiving corps with Jennings OR Wallace, Hartline, Bess, Rookie and Matthews is much better than a receiving corps minus Hartline.

The man just had 1,000 yards receiving, I can't really fathom why some of you don't want him as a member of this team.

"But Hartline was the only receiving option Miami had! He had the most balls thrown his way. Who else did Miami have to throw the ball to?"
Yeah, who else did Miami have to throw the ball to? Hartline was the focal point of defenses and he still managed to get open enough to get over 1,000 yards. Lord knows he was one of the only pieces on that offense that actually worked.

My point being: you can re-sign Hartline and still have the means to bring in a free agent and use a draft pick on a receiver.

You used in your example how the "Falcons have Jones AND White" - yes, they do but ironically this is a reason to not sign Hartline as opposed to signing him because he is neither Jones nor White in his level of talent - not even close. So why 'settle' and re-sign Hartline as a #2 when there is better talent worth spending the money on? Look, it all comes down to $$$. If he re-signs I'm fine with it but not at something north of $5 million/yr. He's just doesn't have a high enough ceiling to pay that kind of money for.

Just curious - in your analogy, is Hartline Jones or White?

Just curious why does this need a new friggin thread every ten minutes, go post ur opinion in the other hartline threads

merge!!!

Just curious - in your analogy, is Hartline Jones or White?

My point was not that Hartline was Jones or White, but that teams don't shy away from getting as much talent as they can. Meaning, if Hartline was offered a contract, it doesn't negate the need, still, for a free agent receiver AND a drafted receiver.

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

Just curious why does this need a new friggin thread every ten minutes, go post ur opinion in the other hartline threads

merge!!!

Great input, would read again.

Great input, would read again.

you can read my "input" in the other threads already set up discussing this same ****ing topic... Just cause u wanna see ur screen name on the thread starter side we have repeat ****

I disagree. We should NOT bring back Hartline. At least not at anywhere close to what his rumored demands are. I like Hartline. But I definitely do not love him. Especially not enough to take a huge chunk of our cap for him. He had a career season, yes. But during his career season, in a pass first league, he managed to BARELY break 1000 yards, and found the end zone once. That is not a receiver you pay $6-$8 million a season for. I am all about letting him test the market. If he signs somewhere else, so be it. That's a nice chunk of money that could land a much better WR or someone else in free agency that can make a much bigger impact on our team. If we can get him for $3-$4 million a season, I'm on board. But he hasn't proven to me that he is worth more than that. If anything, give him an incentive laden deal that gives him bonuses for actually SCORING touchdowns. Catches and yards are great. But finding the end zone is a much bigger impact for your team. He has found the endzone a total of SIX times in his four year career. Three of those came in his rookie season. Not exactly helping us light up the score board. And certainly not enough to throw a butt load of money at him.

you can read my "input" in the other threads already set up discussing this same ****ing topic... Just cause u wanna see ur screen name on the thread starter side we have repeat ****

Yes I suppose you're right, my screen name on a forum has really gotten to my ego. I should know better than to start a thread discussing one of the biggest topics of our offseason before free agency.

My point was not that Hartline was Jones or White, but that teams don't shy away from getting as much talent as they can. Meaning, if Hartline was offered a contract, it doesn't negate the need, still, for a free agent receiver AND a drafted receiver.

I'm just giving you a hard time. There's nothing wrong with amassing talent. The problem is amassing mediocre talent at a high price, because it prevents you from doing any more amassing. Where you should be amassing talent is the draft. Buying talent in free agency isn't an "amassing" process - it's about getting the most you can for your money. Hartline is a good receiver who has worked very hard for Miami. I like him. But it's also clear that AT HIS PRICE, he becomes a progress-stopper for our WR corps. In essence, by bringing him back you are setting some of the ceiling for our WR corps, and I think most of us have higher aspirations for what the corps as a whole should look like.

Hartline would have been a nice piece in a talented receiver corps if he had been extended before going over 1,000 yards. He could have been had at around $2.5M/yr, and at that price you wouldn't mind him being a #4.

The best teams succeed when they are underpaying key contributors, not overpaying.

Good post.

I agree, at the right price we should absolutely be looking to re-sign Brian Hartline. I don't think anybody should be underestimating the chemistry he has built up with Ryan Tannehill. The market for receivers this offseason is going to be inflated - and you can include Hartline in that group. I say you re-sign him, and bring in a Greg Jennings, and then all you need is one rookie (deep threat) before you have a solid receiving corps for Tannehill to work with.

i echo the piggy back these things on existing threads sentiments...plenty of hartline material out there already

Back
Top Bottom