I dont care how old he is...

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by thefranchisedef, Nov 9, 2011.

1. thefranchisedef

thefranchisedef A True Fan

Brandon Weeden needs to be the next Miami Dolphin. I've watched film on him for the past hour and a half and this guy has it all. 28 twenty schmeight, This guy will be a phenom in the NFL. Ball Placement? AMAZING! Arm Strength? AMAZING! Quick Release? AMAZING! This dude is the best player in the draft after Andrew Luck. He's the reason why Justin Blackmon will be a top 10 pick. I hope Miami does us all a favor and drafts a Right Tackle with their first pick because in the second round they will have their man for the next 10 years. Brandon "F'n" Weeden!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpkLIET5uvA
    ENJOY!!

2. Harry Csonka

Harry Csonka Well-Known Member

Matt Kalil in the first, Weeden Round 2? or maybe Blackmon 1 Weeden 2?

3. WelcomeBack

WelcomeBack A True Fan

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with Weeden if we miss out on Luck and Barkley.

4. Tunaphish429

Tunaphish429 1st Ballot Hall of Famer Donator

Weeden, John Beck part deux

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Premium Member

What part of Brandon Weeden's game strikes you as similar to John Beck's?

6. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i'm glad you don't care about the age...but that stuff matters on draft day...it definitely matters

as for right tackle in the 1st round get out of here...there are guys on the street veterans who can help you there every year...we just don't pick the right ones...

regarding the oline vernon careys play has picked up at right guard of late garner showed really well at left guard in his one game...incog meh...we could do worse...only thing i really see this team must upgrade is right tackle...although i sure would like dave decostra around the #20 pick range in the event we were to trade back in round 1...just sayin

7. Tunaphish429

Referring to age, not his game.

8. ckparrothead

So then Aaron Rodgers is the next John Beck? He's the same age as Brandon Weeden.

9. Tunaphish429

Bro, Aaron Rodgers didnt come out when he was 28...

Weeden is 28

John Beck came out when he was 26

Point is he would be a very old Rookie....

Rodgers is younger then both of them right now.

You figure it takes a few years just for a qb to develop , especially if he is a 2nd rounder..

Make sense?

10. WelcomeBack

WelcomeBack A True Fan

Weeden's skills far surpass John Beck on any given day. Only reason he would be a 2nd rounder is cause of age. He'd be a top 10 pick if he was 22 or 23.

11. Tunaphish429

Well Kyle Shanahan thinks different..He said John he would have taken John top ten...

12. Gonzo

Gonzo Widerstand Administrator Finheaven VIP Donator

Maybe in the old NFL. In today's pass-friendly NFL, they can compete immediately. My bigger concern with him is his shoulder.

13. Tunaphish429

Yea? Kevin Kolb is not exactly lighting it up right now...

Just because a qb lit it up in a college spread does not mean he is going to have great success in todays NFL.

He played in a spread. He had great numbers in College.

14. ticophin

ticophin Starter Donator

Blackmon and Weeden, with a TE in the early 3rd??? Grab a G and OLB in ***ency?hmmmmmm...

15. ckparrothead

Not really. Are you trying to say that it will take Weeden a few years to 'get' the pro game and therefore he won't be playing well until he's 30 or 31 years old? I get that, but I fail to see how the John Beck example applies in any way, whatsoever. John Beck is not a successful quarterback, even now after 4.5 years in the league. If you're assuming Brandon Weeden will be successful, but only when he's 30 or 31 years old, and therefore he won't have very many successful years in the league because he'll be racing his biological clock, that's fine. I'm not sure I agree with some parts of that, specifically the assumption that it'll be 2 years before he plays well, but I still understand it. But that assumption makes him a totally different player from John Beck, who is not, never was, and never will be a good NFL quarterback.

16. ckparrothead

Kevin Kolb is not lighting it up right now because he is not, nor has he ever been all that good of a quarterback, at least not relative to what it takes to play the pro game.

You seem to be shifting the argument now. Are you saying that Brandon Weeden is not a good quarterback? Care to explain the elements you see in his game that are problematic for you in translating to the pros?

17. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator

You have the patience of Job.

18. Tunaphish429

Yes it could take Brandon Weeden a few years to "get" the pro game..The pro game is faster.. Now the reason you draft a player is to get better at a posistion but also because your taking a qb in the draft to be your qb of the future. The John Beck example applies because John Beck was actually younger and still failed to become a good qb. How long can you wait for a qb to become ready? The longer you wait the older he becomes. The older a player becomes the more prone to injuries a player becomes..Generally speaking. A

No, I didnt shift the argument. Gonzo stated that a qb who is drafted can compete right away due to the change in NFL rules..I gave him an example of a qb that played well in College ( as Weeden has) that is not and has not played well so far.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2011
  19. ckparrothead

I'm not sure your logic makes any sense here. John Beck has never and probably will never be a good NFL quarterback. If you're comparing Brandon Weeden to John Beck, it only follows that you believe Weeden will never be a good quarterback. If you're saying there's a good chance Weeden becomes a good quarterback, John Beck no longer becomes an appropriate comparison.

Jim Kelly didn't take a snap in the NFL until he was close to 27 years old. Kurt Warner didn't make an NFL team and take a snap until he was 28 years old. Both were good, successful quarterbacks. If you believe Brandon Weeden will eventually have success at the NFL level, then your original statement should have been "Weeden, Kurt Warner part deux" or "Weeden, Jim Kelly part deux".

Kevin Kolb has not played well because Kevin Kolb is not a good quarterback. Do you believe Brandon Weeden is a good quarterback, or not?

20. Tunaphish429

The OP is suggesting Miami Dolphins take Bradon Weeden
    John Beck was taken by Miami.

Both were old rookies coming out of college..

Kurt Warner didnt play for the Dolphins..Neither did Jim Kelly.. But if you wanna get into that ..They both played professional before they had success in the NFL. Maybe in diluted leagues but they played..

I agree that John Beck will never be a good NFL qb. But did you know that when he came out? I didnt.

Gonzo made a general statement about quarterbacks that get drafted and have early success. I gave example of a qb that is failing in the NFL despite playing well in college. Nothing more.

21. HarryBagpipe

HarryBagpipe Archibald Meatpants Super Donator

I think he's just trying to get you to answer a question he's asked four or five times that you have yet to answer. Do you think weeden will be a good NFL qb?

22. Tunaphish429

Honestly I dont know. I wanna see what team drafts him and where he is drafted..I wanna see the situation he is put into.

Also define a good NFL qb?

23. ticophin

ticophin Starter Donator

Should we target the Old Fart...or Not?????

24. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

If he's available at the top of round 2, I'd take him. That buys you 5-7 years of solid QB play, giving you time to to find your next QB while still being competitive. He isn't your 10-15 year answer at QB, but if you can't have that, any GM would be damn glad to have 5-7 years of it...

25. ckparrothead

If you don't have any idea how good Brandon Weeden is or will be, then you're basically admitting you have no perspective worth sharing on the issue of whether to draft him.

Because that IS what it's all about, no? Picking players that are good? How can you have a perspective on whether or not to draft a guy if you admit you have no idea whether he's any good or not?

26. hoops

hoops exited stage left

not if his arm x ray looks like shredded wheat during the medicals...a lot of things that may be in play with weeden...only time will tell

27. Locke

Locke They looked like strong hands.

I wasn't aware he has injury issues with his arm. Interesting. I think someone is going to take a chance on him in round 2 regardless. I doubt he makes it to round 3...

28. hoops

hoops exited stage left

i think its likely there's something thats gonna be in that shoulder when the meds are done...but we'll see...i know if i was a gm thinking of taking this kid i'd be getting 2nd and 3rd opinions on his throwing shoulder medical given his baseball history

29. Tunaphish429

I never shared whether I would draft him or not in any of my posts.???? But since you LOVE to put words in my mouth and draw assumptions from them, you can point me to a post that you have started about how much you love or hate Brandon Weeden. Please inform me.. After all that is what the draft forum is all about..

I would love to read what you said about him. You can pretty much put me down for a +1...Tell me what to think.

30. Gonzo

:bobdole: Did I say that every QB that plays in college can make the transition to the pros? Did I even allude to it? I simply stated a QB doesn't necessarily have to be "groomed" in the NFL any longer. A good QB can come in and start right away.

Wasn't all that hard to figure out. Also, the spread is here now, in case you haven't noticed. Don't worry, none of the Dolphins staff has noticed either.

finomenal likes this.
  31. finomenal

finomenal A True Fan

I'm retaining ck as my attorney RIGHT NOW. Check is on the way.

32. Tunaphish429

If a team takes a quarterback in the 2nd round and he is not groomed. I believe he fails..Andy Dalton is a 2nd rounder he is having success right now and competing..Its not the norm tho.

33. ckparrothead

The last time he had any injury issues with the shoulder was over 5 years ago. I believe the injury he had was an AC sprain. They keep saying that shoulder injuries ended his baseball career but that's at best a partial truth. He could have continued playing baseball. He called his agent and started exploring the football option in very large part just because the baseball thing wasn't going so well. But he was healthy enough for baseball that during those first two years in football he considered many times going back to baseball, and he's implied that he had offers.

You never know what the medical stuff is going to say until you check it out. But I will say this. If there's "shredded wheat" going on in that shoulder then I'm not sure how he goes out in an Air Raid/Blur offense that snaps the ball consistently with 15 seconds remaining on the play clock, sending throw after throw 30+ yards through the air on a rope, averaging 41 pass attempts per game the last two years...and never even have a hint of a problem with the shoulder.

And I mean not a hint. I've not heard of him missing practices, having to take it easy, threatening to miss a game, I've never even seen him lose arm steam in the 4th quarter. Yet he's throwing the ball further than most quarterbacks on average, with high velocity because he's got a cannon for an arm, more times per game than most quarterbacks, and stacking those throws into shorter bursts of time because of the hurry up nature of the offense.

So, it's possible that the NFL people see some things on the shoulder scans that they might grumble about...basically they'll see the shoulder of a guy that has been throwing a ball competitively for 10 years. However, I tend to doubt any predictions of seeing "shredded wheat" in there. We'll just have to see.

34. ckparrothead

Putting words in your mouth? You just called Brandon Weeden the next John Beck. You said that. I didn't say it for you.

And if you haven't seen me talking on here about Brandon Weeden for a year then I take it you haven't been paying attention, which is fine. Suffice it to say I've been posting, creating threads, and creating YouTube videos on Weeden for a year.

35. Tunaphish429

I didnt say Weeden was the next John Beck.. I simply stated Bradon Weeden John Beck part deux....
    John Beck was drafted by the Miami Dolphins in the 2nd round...The Op is suggesting Miami take Weeden in the 2nd round..
    Both are old rookies... Thats why I said John Beck part deux.. Those would be the similarties..

Draft status and team..

You turned that into Weeden was going to fail and become a horrible qb like John Beck has..

36. Gonzo

It is with good QBs. Certainly, there are some that need to be groomed, but thanks to the lessening parity between college-styles and pro-styles, the transition isn't anywhere near what it was even 10 years ago, particularly a 1st round talent, which Weeden is if it wasn't for the concerns of his age and injury. The possibility of him falling out of the 1st has nothing to do with talent concerns.

Of course, I'm mostly referring to QB's from the first round. If you are taking a QB in later rounds and expecting him to become a franchise quarterback (ever, let alone starting right away), then you are the Miami Dolphins of the last decade. Weeden might be the exception, but again, that has nothing to do with talent, unlike other later round QBs.

37. ckparrothead

LMFAO. And with that, I think we're done here.

38. Tunaphish429

Laugh all you want..I know what I meant. You obviously dont..

If I thought he was going to fail then I would have said so...

Now that I have read all your posts and watched all your videos tho..I am convinced he is Dan Marino part deux.

So thank you for that.

39. hoops

hoops exited stage left

come on ck...i used the term shredded wheat more as a joke...i thought it was kinda funny

and yeah cks been in weedens camp for over a year...i can confirm that

40. Spesh

Spesh #freespesh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtYVW3hJP-Q&feature=related

Video on Weeden, his arm "injury", and why he left baseball. First 2 minutes are about those subjects.

To sum up: basically he had a "nagging" arm ache that effected his velocity. He had the option of resting it out or going through surgery. At this point he was on his 4th minor league team in 5 years and seemed to say screw it.

I would be shocked if his arm is injured to the point that Christian Ponder's was....which wasn't much(dislocation) and obviously not a big deal in hindsight. I would refuse to believe his arm is injured to the point of Drew Brees or Carson Palmer.
    NFL teams could scan his arm this offseason and see its held together by band-aids, robitussin, and nightly prays, but i seriously doubt thats the case.